Is Anyone Gaming A PING Sigma G Tyne H?

DHarry

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has one of these in their arsenal or in their bag? This putters feels great and I am surprised that it does not get as much love as the the Spider Tours. I think the Tyne H feels just as good, has a great roll and feels a little more stable. I am debating pulling the trigger on one of these.

Harry

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is on my hit list. I have been to the store three times trying it out and have almost purchased one. Just not sure yet. Waiting to hear more input from others.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

We are all thinking thr same. I have been checking out No. 7 style putter models for a while in search of one that is for slight arc and has a head of at least 370 grams so I can counterweight with 100 gram grip and 30 g internal weight. I also do not like multiple alignment lines or deep ones. I just want one line or dots perpendicular to the face.

My faves:

Ping Tyne H — Not the same as the Tyne. A lot better for my stroke. Feels great, looks great. Alignment line on topline is all I want and this one has it.

Cleveland TFI 2135 Elevado (great alignment design) — Shorter wings so not quite a No. 7. But it is a less expensive version of Tiger’s new Ardmore 3. The 2135 lineup is quality, so underrated.

Odyssey O Works Tank 7 is 380 grams but is face balanced, and I putted better with the 350 gram 7S.

Also surprising was that I seem to fit well with the Odyssey Jailbird Mini S at 350 grams. Seems easy to aim. Nothing about this putter matches what I usually pick up but I found the squared lines built into the body made for a great way to use the face to aim and then check it.

The Ping has been pretty hard to top in terms of stability. Still playing around with the Tyne H, Elevado and Jailbird. I am pretty close to grabbing a Tyne H as I want one to test left hand low putting. I feel more comfortable doing it with a mallet. I am left handed but play golf right handed. Speed control will take some work but in trying it, much more able to roll the ball on the line I want vs pushing or pulling it.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Just hit the tyne at pga ss and was impressed. Was waiting on my scotty to get regripped and i have to say it felt really smooth. Actually made a bunch of putts on there display floor( i know it doesnt mean anything) but coming from playing only newports the last 15 years i figured id look at the new face balanced putters. Im now looking at getting one . I liked it over the scotty and the oddy. Felt comfortable not too much head movement and overall just a nice putter. Just gonna have to game one to tell

A playing partner has it with the black shaft and it's a beaut. He is a very good putter, traded in a redwood d66 he had rolled for a very long time. He added a 25G weight to his PP60 grip. It feels incredible.

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

I said on here that the best putter I’ve ever rolled from 6 feet in was the Spider Tour black. I think this putter is even better. It’s so stable and the roll is very consistent. I am torn between getting one of these or a Vault 2.0 Dale Anser. The WRX’er in me will probabaly get both and have good head to head shoot out.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold S300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

I said on here that the best putter I’ve ever rolled from 6 feet in was the Spider Tour black. I think this putter is even better. It’s so stable and the roll is very consistent. I am torn between getting one of these or a Vault 2.0 Dale Anser. The WRX’er in me will probabaly get both and have good head to head shoot out.

Same dilemma here.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

Just a quick update on my end here. I’ve been putting a lot with my buddies Tyne H for the last 3 days or so. He doesn’t plan on playing in the next couple of weeks so he was happy for me to extend it to the length I use which is 36” and I threw a PP58 midsize cord on it.

My conclusion is that while it feels great off the face and it feels much more solid than other Sigma G models, the headweight of 370g just has it too heavy for me at 36”. I couldn’t get any putt to the hole. Then when I hit it firmer, it really threw my rhythm out. I did a little better when I was imagining the cup a few feet beyond where it actually is but I do not want that mindset when I am on the course. If your preferred length is 33-34” I would encourage everyone to give this putter a go.

I tried the Spider Tour Black twice and while it is 15g lighter, I couldn’t dial it in on lag putts. The Odyssey O-Works 7s and 2 Ball S are also much too soft IMHO.

I have ordered a PING Vault Dale Stealth Anser and since I am also going through a phase of liking mallets with a small bit of toe hang, I just purchased a new Odyssey Works 7 crank hosel for 120 bucks shipped. I couldn’t pass that up. It has a lighter headweight of 350g as well so I might have more luck with it. I am looking forward to rolling them head to head.

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold S300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the look of the Tyne H, and hope PING stays with this general headshape.

I would like to see them release a Tyne H Vault! That would look great and also presumably give the option to drop the weight a few grams as well. 370 is just a bit too heavy at 35 inches.

Here, here. I'm seeing price drops for most of the sigma putters and hoping that this means there will be new releases soon. The Tyne has been so popular that they have to be considering a Vault version, right?

It was too heavy IMO. While I love a plumbers neck mallet and own quite a few, this one felt like a sledge hammer. Wish they would have done this in a 350g setup

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

Price drop to $150 on these now :)

I am looking for more confidence on the shorties without sacrificing too much distance control. Thinking the Tyne H could be a good fit. I made a lot of putts with the Tank Cruiser 330m 35", but it was ultimately just too heavy. Tried a Odyssey #7 CH once and did not like it. The Tyne is a nice design variation on the #7.

I actually have a Sigma G Piper3 that I like and is currently#2 behind the ER1. The Sigma G insert is really nice IMO.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

I got one at 34" and I really like the feel. Weight is spot on and alignment is super easy. Now to putt on some nice greens to see how this thing really rolls it. Ebay is your best bet to find as I was told by Morton Golf that these are unavailable from Ping. GIVE US A VAULT STEALTH VERSION!!!!!!!!

This is the first #7 style putter hat does not sit closed to me.

Taylormade Stealth 2 12* Autoflex 505
Taylormade Stealth HD 3 5 7 woods Speeder

Taylormade Stealth HD 5-PW Ventus stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9 46 54 58
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5
Titleist ProV1x. 

• 3 weeks later...
I got one at 34" and I really like the feel. Weight is spot on and alignment is super easy. Now to putt on some nice greens to see how this thing really rolls it. Ebay is your best bet to find as I was told by Morton Golf that these are unavailable from Ping. GIVE US A VAULT STEALTH VERSION!!!!!!!!

I agree that if they had this in the vault 2.0 stealth I would buy it immediately

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I was in need of a putter change, and walked out with one of these after rolling basically everything Golf Galaxy had to offer.

I don't do well with elongated, mallet shaped putters, or face-balanced putters. I really like the squared off, anser style cavity the Tyne has to frame the ball. I feel like I get the stability from the wings, and the ease of alignment from the straight flange and plumbers neck. Best of both worlds.

... so I'll inevitably be done with the honeymoon and looking for a new flat stick soon enough lol.

I meant to ask also, how did you like the putter outside of the golf shop greens when it was in play? still rolling good?....appears by your sig that you're still rocking the Tyne H

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I got my first round with the Tyne this afternoon. Overall, I'm very pleased.

I was at a point where I didn't feel like I was putting poorly, but the results weren't where I wanted them to be. I just didn't feel great about looking down at the putter I was using anymore.

Whether it was a flash in the pan or not, the Tyne certainly injected some life into my putting today. I had a few really nice lags, canned all the must makes, and dropped in a nice bomb.

I really feel comfortable aligning it, and it swings nicely for being a sledge.

Hopefully it proves to be a good move after a more meaningful sample of rounds, but I'm encouraged.

I was at a point where I didn't feel like I was putting poorly, but the results weren't where I wanted them to be. I just didn't feel great about looking down at the putter I was using anymore.

Whether it was a flash in the pan or not, the Tyne certainly injected some life into my putting today. I had a few really nice lags, canned all the must makes, and dropped in a nice bomb.

Hopefully it proves to be a good move after a more meaningful sample of rounds, but I'm encouraged.

This was my story with the non H tyne. Out of the gate with the putter I was confident. Rarely 3 putted. Made everything inside 7 feet.

But I haven't been making anything outside 10 feet lately. I have several rounds lately with 12-14 greens and shoot a couple over par, just not making birdie putts.

I still like the tyne but am.going to switch it up to see if I can make a few more 10+ footers per round. Probably put an oslo in play that I recently bought.

This was my story with the non H tyne. Out of the gate with the putter I was confident. Rarely 3 putted. Made everything inside 7 feet.

But I haven't been making anything outside 10 feet lately. I have several rounds lately with 12-14 greens and shoot a couple over par, just not making birdie putts.

I still like the tyne but am.going to switch it up to see if I can make a few more 10+ footers per round. Probably put an oslo in play that I recently bought.

I'm not under any delusion that the putter itself improved my performance yesterday. Like I mentioned, I feel like I've been rolling the ball fine as of late. I just accumulated enough negative mindset, that I needed to look down at a different putter. It's basically just a mental reset. I don't have any good or bad mojo built up with this putter yet.

One thing other than the alignment I really like with this putter is the firmer face. I feel like sometimes I lose a little bit of speed control with softer insert faces, like the O-Works I was using.

For the stuff outside 10ft, as long as speed control is good, that's all about putting skill and a little luck. You've got to match up speed and line really well for that stuff. It's easy to get in a rut where you feel like you're just not making any of that stuff, and at least for me, it usually means my reads are poor.

• 1 month later...

does anyone know what Ping calls the dark finish on the Tyne H?

I really like how it looks and it seems like if it rubs against something you just buff it with a rag and the blemishes come right out.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2