Miura 1957 Small Blade/Baby Blade enthusiasts thread! (Lots of enabling and physics lessons inside)

PopIt&DropIt

^^^ I know they aren't cheap but the miura ones are really nice looking and apparently fit perfectly.

In other news I had a rare double date today and also recieved my 1 and 2 iron bb heads from kaaayelll. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet but they make beautiful paperweights in the interim :)

I have never seen two bags on a cart with Miuras let alone BBs. It is like a photo of another world where volume club sales and advertising don't exist.

Also, big thumbs down to iron covers, driver and putter only. I wouldn't even say that my irons have that much chatter, I don't pay much attention to it if they do.

I have never seen two bags on a cart with Miuras let alone BBs. It is like a photo of another world where volume club sales and advertising don't exist.

Also, big thumbs down to iron covers, driver and putter only. I wouldn't even say that my irons have that much chatter, I don't pay much attention to it if they do.

Closest that I’ve come to seeing 2 sets like that is when I go golfing with a friend of mine. He’s a lefty so it’s a set of black oxide baby blades and a set of black oxide lefty Miura blades.

Ditto on the iron covers. Woods and putters only.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

Anyone ever thought of getting their baby blades refinished when the inevitable wear spots come? I bought mine second hand and a few of the short irons have got quite bad chrome wear. I ask because Miura irons seem to have a special almost frosted finish on the groove section of the club and i cant imagine any refinisher restoring the irons to that same as new look?

Oh and as for the pics of the 1 and 2 irons i have saved it to my phone to perve over at various opportune moments in my life.

Anyone ever thought of getting their baby blades refinished when the inevitable wear spots come? I bought mine second hand and a few of the short irons have got quite bad chrome wear. I ask because Miura irons seem to have a special almost frosted finish on the groove section of the club and i cant imagine any refinisher restoring the irons to that same as new look?

Oh and as for the pics of the 1 and 2 irons i have saved it to my phone to perve over at various opportune moments in my life.

I have a set of Baby Blade heads that I’m planning to have refinished. From my POV the beauty of refinishing is that you can do something different - I’m going to have them redone in copper plate...

Closest that I’ve come to seeing 2 sets like that is when I go golfing with a friend of mine. He’s a lefty so it’s a set of black oxide baby blades and a set of black oxide lefty Miura blades.

Ditto on the iron covers. Woods and putters only.

Haha I thought you guys would like that. The real story isn't quite as cool as the picture may suggest however. A friend of mine instantly fell in love with my set and I eventually showed some compassion and sold him my back up set. I thought I would be okay replacing them sometime in the future but I'm not at all and already working out replacing them. Thankfully Kaaayelll is there to save the day!

I must say it was very enjoyable seeing the baby blades in action from a perspective other than me playing them. They look incredible at address and have a very unique and interesting sound. Don't think I've ever heard another iron sound quite like it. There's almost a level of personal satisfaction like I hit the shot when I see someone else flush one and watch it fly. It's weird!

Regarding headcovers, well that isn't my bag ;) I don't think there's anything sexier then a well worn set of blades and I'm looking forward to seeing some more wear on mine. I just let people do what they want to do though so whatever floats your boat. I will say if they are a financial stretch in any way and you weren't able to try them before buying then headcovers make perfect sense from a resale perspective. But I still probably wouldn't use them, lol.

I have a set of Baby Blade heads that I’m planning to have refinished. From my POV the beauty of refinishing is that you can do something different - I’m going to have them redone in copper plate...

I agree that it will be tough to find someone to replicate the finish exactly and I also agree the beauty of refinishing is you can have some fun. I definitely intend to refinish mine when they are worn out. A burnt copper baby blade makes me feel warm and fuzzy thinking about it.

My black ones have been refinished a number of times. Get it done by someone competent and there isn’t an issue.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x

So at long last - I finally have my set in hand!

Specs: 4-P, Modus 3, 1/2" over, 2UP (based on Titleist specs), D3 swing weight

I'm coming from a set of Epon AF-302s with the same shafts, 1/2" shorter, 3 degrees up.

I had the chance to take them out for a few holes thus far, and overall I'm pleased. The feel is amazing. As everyone else has commented, they're soft in a different way than Epon or Mizuno. The Epon's feel significantly softer when struck flush, while the BBs have an extremely satisfying firmness. More of a thwack than a thwap or a thud. :D

Interestingly, the BBs feel WAY different than any of my K grind or Y grind wedges, however that may be due to the Modus 125 wedge shafts.

The one thing I've noted that seems to be out of line with other posters across several forums, is that the BBs are extremely short from a distance perspective. I don't have enough experience with them yet to be definitive here, but after some time on the range, time on the course, and time in the garage on Skytrak - it seems that they're a solid 1 - 2 clubs shorter than my Epons which play at the same loft (8i) - even when the 302s are 1/2" shorter.

Still trying to confirm if this is actually the case or if perhaps I caught some odd wind, am just getting used to them, etc. - but have been pretty surprised on the distance thus far.

Mine are probably 10 yards shorter than my 302's, which trackman has confirmed are crazy fast/consistent ball speeds compared to other iron heads.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

So at long last - I finally have my set in hand!

Specs: 4-P, Modus 3, 1/2" over, 2UP (based on Titleist specs), D3 swing weight

I'm coming from a set of Epon AF-302s with the same shafts, 1/2" shorter, 3 degrees up.

I had the chance to take them out for a few holes thus far, and overall I'm pleased. The feel is amazing. As everyone else has commented, they're soft in a different way than Epon or Mizuno. The Epon's feel significantly softer when struck flush, while the BBs have an extremely satisfying firmness. More of a thwack than a thwap or a thud. :D

Interestingly, the BBs feel WAY different than any of my K grind or Y grind wedges, however that may be due to the Modus 125 wedge shafts.

The one thing I've noted that seems to be out of line with other posters across several forums, is that the BBs are extremely short from a distance perspective. I don't have enough experience with them yet to be definitive here, but after some time on the range, time on the course, and time in the garage on Skytrak - it seems that they're a solid 1 - 2 clubs shorter than my Epons which play at the same loft (8i) - even when the 302s are 1/2" shorter.

Still trying to confirm if this is actually the case or if perhaps I caught some odd wind, am just getting used to them, etc. - but have been pretty surprised on the distance thus far.

Mine are probably 10 yards shorter than my 302's, which trackman has confirmed are crazy fast/consistent ball speeds compared to other iron heads.

I am on my second set after playing a few other brands. I haven’t lost any noticeable difference from any other blade I have played. I switched from x100 to spb x and gained a few yards.

I will say that I am longer with a Ben hogan 3 and 4 iron but they are not blades. I am playing tomorrow and will compare them to a new set of pxg 0311t.

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

When I was looking for cbs a couple years ago I took my 7 to hit on the sim to compare. Longer on avg, but never longest single shot, straighter, and more consistent distances than the titleist cb and whatever other Cb I was hitting, forget. I chalked it up to comfort factor of the home field advantage and me knowing it, but I really don’t think they are “short” against anything not a straight hot head. That is just my experience though. I have lost about 5-7 yards in my irons over the last couple of years, but that is swing related. I only have a 105 driver speed and my 7 is comfortable 170 with tug draws going 178 range, Which is the same yardage range my swing gets out of anything I have hit. I would think shafts maybe playing more of a role?

I am sure they are not “long”, but I don’t see them as short or at the least anything other than average. That B.B. distance consistency tho....just feel like you can hit any iron your distance to 20 yards short of that and feel your way to about right. They make clubbing up and taking something off so much fun.

I just completed a baby blade set build with Aerotech Steelfiber 110 Stiff flex soft-stepped once.

May play them very soon.

TM Tour Issue M6 10.5 GD ADDI 7S
TM The One 13.5 GD Accra TZ
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow 85 S
Onoff 2011 4-Pw Roddio Pentacross I-10 SX flex
Wilson Staff Forged 52, 56 & 60  & Miura KM-350 putter

• 3 weeks later...

Finally decided my engage wedges were getting a little worn, and the lofts didn't match my BBs so it was time to replace them.

K grind is bent to 55 so I have 51/55/59. Shafts are DG Tour Issue X100. No comment on the green grips, they came with the shafts haha. Will replace them with lamkin cord crossline to match the rest of the set next year.

Went on my first trip to Scotland last week and after having the BBs for over a year now this was one of those special weeks where everything came together. I cannot think of a set of irons I'd rather play on a challenging links course like the Ailsa Course at Turnberry or at Prestwick. All these finesse-shots required in links golf felt very natural with the BBs. Truly an amazing experience.

Almost done with the final fitting of the set DeNinja paint filled for me.

It's a toss up between Steelfiber 110s and Modus 105s.

May have to just buy a second set.

PS

I really want a 2 iron....

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

K just got home from a multi hour road trip to finish the fitting of the baby blades. Can't remember if a name was came up with yet but at any rate, they aren't *exactly* what the master Ninja had hoped for but they're working.

It was a toss up between the Steelfiber 110 and the Modus 105. I took some shafted of each to a grass range and hit them side by side.

The Nippons feel great. So do the Steelfibers. It's all subjective but the Steelfibers seemed to give me a little more of the comfort factor I need with my game as it currently sits.

I could see where in time a switch to the Modus 105 or maybe even something else would happen but for now, the Steelfiber 110 it is. What I mean by that is with my current wrecked back they don't make me feel like I gotta attack. The Modus have a little bit of that "get on it" thing. No where near like the Dynamic Golds but more than the Steelfibers. I like them.

Grips. I tried leather and rubber and about $150 worth of different things. Again, subjective. But coming into these rather demanding clubs with a cold crud game lately I find myself falling in towards what is familiar and comfortable.

I played my best golf ever with Tour Wraps. By far. No question. Shooting in the 60s. For this set I went with what brings me the instant confident "I can do this" feeling when I grip the club.

Golf Pride CP2 Wrap. In blue of course. Midsize. Built up a bit.

Will get some pics up soon.

Ya I know it's not the primo pimp setup I should do with JDM shafts and kangaroo grips, but right now after two weeks of work, analysis, hundreds & hundreds of balls and lots of mental overload I am confident in this setup bringing me back to "decent" and that's saying something.

PS the MC-501s are sick too. It was really tempting to cheat the entire process but I want baby blades dammit.

PPS these are a full club longer than my MP-33s with same loft and swingweight. And less felt effort by me.

PPPS at the risk of overloading him and never getting an appointment time, anyone in the PNW area, especially anywhere within driving distance of Oregon City, Oregon you need to check out Birdie Finish Golf. Jari Hakonen is as legit a club fitter as I have ever been with and I've been fitted by Mizuno AT Mizuno in Georgia. Jari is worth every cent of the drive time and cost for his work.

www.birdiefinishgolf.com

I'm sold. Never ever thought I would ever say this but Mizuno who?

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I seem to be a club longer with my BBs than my MB01s? Is that a normal experience with others.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0* (Ventus Blue 6S)

4 Wood - Callaway Mavrik 16.5* (Ventus Blue 7S)

3 Hybrid - Mizuno CLK 20* (NS Pro Modus3 GOST)

4 Iron - Miura Giken ICL 601 23* (NS Pro Modus3 GOST)

Irons - Miura Baby Blades 5-PW (NS Pro Modus3 Tour 120S)

Wedges - Miura Y 51*@50*, Miura K 56*@55* & 60* (NS Pro Modus3 Tour 120S)

Putter - Bettinardi-HiveQueen B#9 (Tour Stability Shaft)

Bag & Ball - Vessel VLX Stand | Titleist AVX

I seem to be a club longer with my BBs than my MB01s? Is that a normal experience with others.

A club long seems like a bit much but I do hit the 1957 a few yards further than the Tournament Blade due to a touch higher ball speed out of the 1957s.

Definitely not a full club difference for me between the small blade and tournament blade...but I would say that the baby blades are a tiny bit longer (thinking about Par 3’s where I always hit equivalent clubs, the TBs land front of green, while the small blades are more center - maybe 3 or 4 yards of distance).