Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

I really like Hyland Hills, really underrated track. 18 is a weird hole but besides that I really enjoy playing it.

I always thought 18 and 3 were an odd holes because of angles. Rest the course is great. There was one more hole I cant recall which also had an odd angle to that was a sharp right up then up the hill to the green I recall you tee off in the trees and a bit narrow for the first 50 yards but opens on up on the angle.....?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Hyland Hills, really underrated track. 18 is a weird hole but besides that I really enjoy playing it.

I always thought 18 and 3 were an odd holes because of angles. Rest the course is great. There was one more hole I cant recall which also had an odd angle to that was a sharp right up then up the hill to the green I recall you tee off in the trees and a bit narrow for the first 50 yards but opens on up on the angle.....?

Forgot about 3, yeah a little wonky but I don’t mind it. You may be thinking of 10.

Forgot about 3, yeah a little wonky but I don't mind it. You may be thinking of 10.

YEP just looked it was 10 =)

Hyland Hills is a decent golf course.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Wife and baby out of town this weekend : playing friday afternoon, 36 saturday, and sunday morning before everyone gets back. (cool)

Cool, our best 3 day total was 90 holes, 18 at Wildhorse then 36 both days at Prairie Club. The last 9 was some of the best golf I've ever done.

I love, love, love both of those places. I'm also getting a big Bandon itch. I really wanna try go in off-season and see if I can get lucky with the weather.

That's always been my plan for Bandon. I honestly thought I'd get to Prairie Club this year, but it's looking like I may not even make it to Wildhorse. :(

Wife and baby out of town this weekend : playing friday afternoon, 36 saturday, and sunday morning before everyone gets back. (cool)

Nice. That's a the way to spend a bachelor weekend. Where are you playing?

I found out yesterday that my wife is hiking a 14er with some of her friends on Saturday. So I'm playing GVR solo at 7:54 on Saturday. Then playing Sunday morning at 7:30 with two buddies at Hyland Hills. Never played there before, looking forward to seeing a new course.

I'm playing friday afternoon in a back tee match at Highlands Ranch. Saturday morning and sunday morning are both casual matches at Highlands Ranch and then playing Saturday afternoon at Arrowhead with a buddy. I feel like my game has been close so looking forward to actually playing a bit and seeing if I can put some things together once. I'll be curious to hear how Hyland Hills is. I essentially don't go north of the downtown line for any of my golf so I'm missing a huge chunk of the Denver golf scene.

You'll have to let us know how pace of play is at Arrowhead. I played out there last Sunday afternoon and have never experienced a slower round. We only made it through 13 holes in 4.5 hours before we had to quit because we had another commitment to get to. I figured high price=decent golfers=quicker play. Definitely wrong.

I’ve had a Bandon itch ever since the moment I left the first time. It’s hard to believe it’s been 5 years since I was out there. I need to go again. The only challenge for me is balancing my use of PTO time. I figure fly to Eugene in a Thursday after work, play 36 Fri, Sat, and Sun, fly home Monday is a good way to do it. 1 round at each course and then replay two favorites. Lots of golf with only needing to use 2 PTO days. I hear Feb is a nice time to go... Rates are good, not sure about the daylight situation.

When does the season end in NE? I’ve already got all of my PTO planned out for the rest of the year. But I’d possibly be up for driving up some Friday after work, play 36 Saturday at WH, maybe 18 in morning then drive back Sunday. Is October too late for weather there?

Cool, our best 3 day total was 90 holes, 18 at Wildhorse then 36 both days at Prairie Club. The last 9 was some of the best golf I've ever done.

I love, love, love both of those places. I'm also getting a big Bandon itch. I really wanna try go in off-season and see if I can get lucky with the weather.

That's always been my plan for Bandon. I honestly thought I'd get to Prairie Club this year, but it's looking like I may not even make it to Wildhorse. :(

I with you.....

Missed Krush's trip as I was in Carolina and have been wanting to go. Tried to work the wife in to going out there a couple of weekends ago for one night. Get up early on Saturday, play that afternoon (maybe get in 27 or more) stay the night and play 18 Sunday then drive back. Pretty much a hit and run couple of days but have been wanting to get back out there as it has been at least 5-6 years now.... maybe more.

If you find a some time I would be down an I am sure others could be too. I will offer up driving =)

Edit: its just under 4hr from my house. Think we did it last time in like 3.5 hrs but we were flying LOL

I've had a Bandon itch ever since the moment I left the first time. It's hard to believe it's been 5 years since I was out there. I need to go again. The only challenge for me is balancing my use of PTO time. I figure fly to Eugene in a Thursday after work, play 36 Fri, Sat, and Sun, fly home Monday is a good way to do it. 1 round at each course and then replay two favorites. Lots of golf with only needing to use 2 PTO days. I hear Feb is a nice time to go... Rates are good, not sure about the daylight situation.

When does the season end in NE? I've already got all of my PTO planned out for the rest of the year. But I'd possibly be up for driving up some Friday after work, play 36 Saturday at WH, maybe 18 in morning then drive back Sunday. Is October too late for weather there?

Never been to Bandon.... everyone I know has it seems but me LOL Not sure how the weather is in the off season, reading it seems it hit or miss but I am sure still worth it. I think your schedule is about dead on though if you only have two days. I know a group who went but they went in on Sunday, played Monday/Tuesday/Wed morning as it was better tee times but that eats up more PTO.

NE in in October can be hit or miss. Most the time its decent but you never know. Funny your schedule is close to what I tried to talk the better half into, but sadly was a no go LOL

Sounds like we could enough people to pull something off if it works for everyone.

*Since I work for myself PTO is not the problem....its actually getting away from the office. I have played 18 twice and 9 holes since in the last 45 days =( Hit balls at Murphy to keep some form of a swing but just so busy

Wildhorse is open (IIRC) until late Nov. depending on weather, think they were open into December last year. Prairie club closes in October. October can be great, weather is no guarantee, but no leaves at Wildhorse or the Dunes course.

It gets sketchy if you're trying to go with a bigger group or coordinating time off for people. If you can be flexible with the weekend, it's not a problem. We've had it a couple times where we tried to sneak out in October and it was nice the weekends before and after and then miserable the weekend we showed up.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Has anyone played Flying Horse Golf Club in Monument? I am fortunate that I will be teeing it up there Friday morning.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Has anyone played Flying Horse Golf Club in Monument? I am fortunate that I will be teeing it up there Friday morning.

Let us know how it is. I keep getting postcards from them about membership opportunities. I loathe driving more than 20 minutes to get to a golf course; I'm sure as heck not going to drive all the way to Monument just to play golf on a regular basis.

(And get off my lawn! :D)

I've had a Bandon itch ever since the moment I left the first time. It's hard to believe it's been 5 years since I was out there. I need to go again. The only challenge for me is balancing my use of PTO time. I figure fly to Eugene in a Thursday after work, play 36 Fri, Sat, and Sun, fly home Monday is a good way to do it. 1 round at each course and then replay two favorites. Lots of golf with only needing to use 2 PTO days. I hear Feb is a nice time to go... Rates are good, not sure about the daylight situation.

When does the season end in NE? I've already got all of my PTO planned out for the rest of the year. But I'd possibly be up for driving up some Friday after work, play 36 Saturday at WH, maybe 18 in morning then drive back Sunday. Is October too late for weather there?

Never been to Bandon.... everyone I know has it seems but me LOL Not sure how the weather is in the off season, reading it seems it hit or miss but I am sure still worth it. I think your schedule is about dead on though if you only have two days. I know a group who went but they went in on Sunday, played Monday/Tuesday/Wed morning as it was better tee times but that eats up more PTO.

NE in in October can be hit or miss. Most the time its decent but you never know. Funny your schedule is close to what I tried to talk the better half into, but sadly was a no go LOL

Sounds like we could enough people to pull something off if it works for everyone.

*Since I work for myself PTO is not the problem....its actually getting away from the office. I have played 18 twice and 9 holes since in the last 45 days =( Hit balls at Murphy to keep some form of a swing but just so busy

I'm intrigued by Bandon in the off-season. I was looking at flights and it seems Denver-Eugene with rental car to Bandon is best. Flight were reasonable at around 300 direct. I went Wed-Sun last time but I think Thurs-Sun could work. Fly in, travel, play Preserve on Thurs, Bandon-Pac Fri, Mac-Trails Sat, and then one repeat Sun. Hustle to the airport and home by Sunday night. The lodging looks pretty reasonable that time of year, as low as 300ish for stay. golf would be 50, 150, 150, 100 which is really low for out there. The august prices are insane! 275 with 150 replays!

The question would be caddies, they add a pretty significant cost to the golf but absolutely make the trip and make the back-back 36 days walking doable. I would lean towards doing it to some degree. I think it's like 75-100 per round for the caddies? So that would add 300-400. Dinners and drinks will add up out there but don't need to be crazy.

I would say 350 for plane and rental, 350 base for lodging, 450 for golf, 0-400 for caddy, 240-600 for food and drinks, 0-5,000 for proshop and goods (its soo filthy good there). Probably looking at 1500-3000 range depending on your flavor.

8 is doable, 4 is easy and manageable.

When I went I only played Dunes and Old Mac in one day, and then played preserve in the morning before leaving. Didn’t take caddies or buggy. I was drained. I think if i went back do do multiple days of 36 i would fork over the cash for caddies. Maybe doing it 36 two days and then 18 the morning leaving, I’d do caddies for 4 rounds and play the last one carrying half a bag.

Man.... this thread is such a c*ck tease. I’ve spent the last hour at my desk looking at flights to Eugene and the Bandon website. I really wish I was planning a trip for real.

I'm intrigued by Bandon in the off-season. I was looking at flights and it seems Denver-Eugene with rental car to Bandon is best. Flight were reasonable at around 300 direct. I went Wed-Sun last time but I think Thurs-Sun could work. Fly in, travel, play Preserve on Thurs, Bandon-Pac Fri, Mac-Trails Sat, and then one repeat Sun. Hustle to the airport and home by Sunday night. The lodging looks pretty reasonable that time of year, as low as 300ish for stay. golf would be 50, 150, 150, 100 which is really low for out there. The august prices are insane! 275 with 150 replays!

The question would be caddies, they add a pretty significant cost to the golf but absolutely make the trip and make the back-back 36 days walking doable. I would lean towards doing it to some degree. I think it's like 75-100 per round for the caddies? So that would add 300-400. Dinners and drinks will add up out there but don't need to be crazy.

I would say 350 for plane and rental, 350 base for lodging, 450 for golf, 0-400 for caddy, 240-600 for food and drinks, 0-5,000 for proshop and goods (its soo filthy good there). Probably looking at 1500-3000 range depending on your flavor.

Every time I read about it, I want to do the Bandon Summer Solstice. I'm putting in for the lottery for it next year. Would be a hell of a way to play for the first time.

I’ve had a Bandon itch ever since the moment I left the first time. It’s hard to believe it’s been 5 years since I was out there. I need to go again. The only challenge for me is balancing my use of PTO time. I figure fly to Eugene in a Thursday after work, play 36 Fri, Sat, and Sun, fly home Monday is a good way to do it. 1 round at each course and then replay two favorites. Lots of golf with only needing to use 2 PTO days. I hear Feb is a nice time to go... Rates are good, not sure about the daylight situation.

When does the season end in NE? I’ve already got all of my PTO planned out for the rest of the year. But I’d possibly be up for driving up some Friday after work, play 36 Saturday at WH, maybe 18 in morning then drive back Sunday. Is October too late for weather there?

October is generally really nice in Nebraska (almost our best month of the year). The only drawback is it can get cold at night and delay your morning start if you’re trying for 36.

When I went I only played Dunes and Old Mac in one day, and then played preserve in the morning before leaving. Didn't take caddies or buggy. I was drained. I think if i went back do do multiple days of 36 i would fork over the cash for caddies. Maybe doing it 36 two days and then 18 the morning leaving, I'd do caddies for 4 rounds and play the last one carrying half a bag.

Man.... this thread is such a c*ck tease. I've spent the last hour at my desk looking at flights to Eugene and the Bandon website. I really wish I was planning a trip for real.

I'm pretty serious about trying to make something happen. I have baby #2 in March so it's going to have to happen soon if it's going to at all.

When I went I only played Dunes and Old Mac in one day, and then played preserve in the morning before leaving. Didn't take caddies or buggy. I was drained. I think if i went back do do multiple days of 36 i would fork over the cash for caddies. Maybe doing it 36 two days and then 18 the morning leaving, I'd do caddies for 4 rounds and play the last one carrying half a bag.

Man.... this thread is such a c*ck tease. I've spent the last hour at my desk looking at flights to Eugene and the Bandon website. I really wish I was planning a trip for real.

I'm pretty serious about trying to make something happen. I have baby #2 in March so it's going to have to happen soon if it's going to at all.

At $150 for 36 it would mean mid Nov through Jan which is from what I hear hit or miss but totaly playable. Below is what I just found researching...

* Average weather 57/42 - 54/39 - 54/39 based on each month.

I am not sure if the trend holds this year but the first part of Jan it was mid 50's to mid 60's. A few days near 70...!! Warm enough

* Sunlight around that time averages 9-10 hrs.... So that could be an issue with 36 holes?

Having a caddie could really help in those cases. I know some players walk the first 18 carrying and then caddie the second 18. Some double bag with a caddie but not sure how that works tip wise. I know caddies perfer it.

So everything else noted would be the best for flights/rental.

If there is a real interest I would be willing to help pull some information. It would mark off one the bucklist golf trips.... Someone day AUS/TAZ =)

EDIT... So read some threads. Seems like FEB is the best month Vs dollars. "February is a better bet, I've been out that way several years around Feb. 10th and had better weather (70* / sunny / calm) than any day in November and often better than summer, too" Rate would go up though as it seems everything jumps up 20% or so.

Every time I read about it, I want to do the Bandon Summer Solstice. I'm putting in for the lottery for it next year. Would be a hell of a way to play for the first time.

I heard there is a long list.... PLUS if you get in and have to miss it one time you never get back in? I think the cool thing would be when you walk off the 4th round they GIVE you $100... or so I read.

Bandon recommends $100 per bag per round and that's pretty typical at most places with caddies; although, at some of the premium private courses the average rate with tip can be $150 or more. If a caddie is double bagging, he should still get at least $100 a bag per round. If you just had a fore caddie they would on average get $100 for the round ($25 from each player).

Bandon recommends $100 per bag per round and that's pretty typical at most places with caddies; although, at some of the premium private courses the average rate with tip can be $150 or more. If a caddie is double bagging, he should still get at least $100 a bag per round. If you just had a fore caddie they would on average get $100 for the round ($25 from each player).

Thanks Dancin, that was what I figured. Pretty much the same everywhere.

We had them double bag and that worked great. I think we gave 150 per round. My uncle had like 30 balls in his bag and the guy only let him take 3 (he’s like a 16). He was so flabbergasted that he bet the caddy $100 extra if he didn’t lose all three balls. Ended up losing only 1 on the day and had to pay up. One of the amazing parts of Bandon!

So this is like a "for real" idea then....?

Depending on schedule, I could be interested in this. If you guys are thinking late 2018, then there's no way I could do it. I've got a wedding to be in late October, and Holiday travel already planned for November and December. I'm completely tapped out on PTO for the remainder of this year.

If early 2019 is in the cards... February is a few bucks more expensive than January, but doing some quick looking online, it seems to get you good bit more daylight. Jan 1st is a 9 hour day, Feb 1st is a 10 hour day, Feb 28th is over 11 hours.

I wish I could take PTO for a golf vacation. The majority of my PTO is used when going to Europe (our initial plans next year are to spend a week in London or Paris); the rest are for when my kids are out of school so I can do fun things with them. It's also why I like my golf league over the Golf Channel or Golf Week Am Tours; if I do well, I don't have to drop a lot of cash (and PTO) to travel to a resort to play.