2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Slazenger Ben Hogan Precision irons.

Hi folks,

Been an avid reader of all things Hogan in Classic Golf for a while...there’s such a great depth of knowledge on here, so thought I’d cast around for your (kind) thoughts and advice.

For £20 ($25) I’ve picked up what looks to be a well-used set of 1950’s Precison irons here in the UK. Initial thoughts are to have the heads cleaned up and refurbed, then reshafted, regripped...then play!

Have read a few posts suggesting picking up an unloved, cheap set of something with Apex 4 shafts in and reuse with the Precision’s, which sounds fine. Would need to think carefully about the swingweight issue, but assume this isn’t insurmountable?

What to do with the heads though? Rechrome back to new, black oxide, satin bead blasted or Cerakote in something a bit bright?!

Will post some pics, hopefully tomorrow.

Many thanks for your interest.

Todd-

It would be beneficial to see your '50s Ben Hogan Precision iron set-

As Ben Hogan offered the first Precision irons with his name on them in 1954, these irons have mechanical fasteners (pinned) to the shafts.

It would also help to view your 1970s set of Ben Hogan Apex irons with Apex 4 shafts, which are likely pinned as well.

I would try playing the original shafts unless they're damaged. Pictures would be nice. Reshafting will be quite the chore

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

I agree with 84425 - mine are stainless. I would think you could polish them up very nicely without too much bother.

If mine are anything to go by, they'll be fitted with TT Rocket shafts. Tattered green shaft bands would tend to confirm. The original leather grips are excellent - but tricky to transfer over if you reshaft.

Traditional, but short by today's standards, lengths - probably a 38" 3 iron.

Good clubs. First time out with mine I sunk a full 3 iron. I can't say that of many other sets of irons.

Like others are saying, I'd play them as they are to get started. If you feel you have to reshaft, then don't let the pins put you off. In my experience, that vintage of Slazenger irons are bored VERY tightly and you may well need to ream the hosel and/or file the shaft tips to get replacement shafts seated.

Hi folks,

Been an avid reader of all things Hogan in Classic Golf for a while...there's such a great depth of knowledge on here, so thought I'd cast around for your (kind) thoughts and advice.

For £20 ($25) I've picked up what looks to be a well-used set of 1950's Precison irons here in the UK. Initial thoughts are to have the heads cleaned up and refurbed, then reshafted, regripped...then play!

Have read a few posts suggesting picking up an unloved, cheap set of something with Apex 4 shafts in and reuse with the Precision's, which sounds fine. Would need to think carefully about the swingweight issue, but assume this isn't insurmountable?

What to do with the heads though? Rechrome back to new, black oxide, satin bead blasted or Cerakote in something a bit bright?!

Will post some pics, hopefully tomorrow.

Many thanks for your interest.

If the shafts are in good shape, absolutely do not reshaft. The TT Rocket shafts on those clubs are very good shafts. I was in the same boat when I got my first set of Precisions and glad I left them alone until I got a few rounds with them under my belt. They are outstanding irons. You will find them to be quite a bit heavier than anything else you have ever played, but I am already guessing you will love it. I don't think I ever really felt my swing "load" until I had swung a really heavy club like the Precisions. Enjoy them before making any hasty decisions. Also cannot believe you got them for $25.00... deal of the century. Please upload pictures.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Lots of great advice and experience in there to reflect on.

See photo's above...apologies for the jaunty angles (...might take a few attempts to master the upload technique!).

Irons are fabulous. Well used, but that's what they were made for...be a shame if they weren't played. The Slazenger leather grips are all intact, shafts are True Temper Rockets as some of you have said. Ferrules all match with the same '203' stamp on them. Some other previous posts on WRX for similar clubs seem to suggest 1956 or 57? There's no 'Made in England' stamp on these hosels in the same way that I've seen on other photo's on the net. Also, unless I'm missing something...there are no pins visible through the hosels...so are they likely to just be kept in position using resin?? The heads are well worn but have no significant chips or craters in them...and other than the paint around the lettering missing or worn, they're in great shape.

I'm not going to touch these beauties...I think it would be an act of vandalism to take out the shafts, given the fact that they've survived this long. The Rockets aren't overly whippy, so hopefully might be closer to the Apex 4 than envisaged.

But whether I can hit the things properly and do them justice is another question entirely....!!

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Lots of great advice and experience in there to reflect on.

See photo's above...apologies for the jaunty angles (...might take a few attempts to master the upload technique!).

Irons are fabulous. Well used, but that's what they were made for...be a shame if they weren't played. The Slazenger leather grips are all intact, shafts are True Temper Rockets as some of you have said. Ferrules all match with the same '203' stamp on them. Some other previous posts on WRX for similar clubs seem to suggest 1956 or 57? There's no 'Made in England' stamp on these hosels in the same way that I've seen on other photo's on the net. Also, unless I'm missing something...there are no pins visible through the hosels...so are they likely to just be kept in position using resin?? The heads are well worn but have no significant chips or craters in them...and other than the paint around the lettering missing or worn, they're in great shape.

I'm not going to touch these beauties...I think it would be an act of vandalism to take out the shafts, given the fact that they've survived this long. The Rockets aren't overly whippy, so hopefully might be closer to the Apex 4 than envisaged.

But whether I can hit the things properly and do them justice is another question entirely....!!

Johnny Todd,

That's a beautiful set, I would not do anything to it except maybe clean it up a little bit, to remove the dirt and rust to prevent moisture. I won't even paint fill the head, and please don't, it'll be like putting heavy make up on a matriarch. Won't help to look new and lost the dignity.

Leather grip looked well enough to be restored.

Are you going to game these ?

Keep me in mind if you ever going to part with it.

Oh , just noticed that you're from the other side of the pond, the shipping will be much more than what you paid for this set, plus we might impose tariff on the use golf set now.

• 11 months later...

Sorry to add to this thread. Picked up a set of Slazenger BH Precision today (£10) from a church fete near Carnoustie sadly 2-8 & and a E. Shaft bands (TT & Hogan) are as to be expected but the grips are Avon and shot to pieces. They are just for me but would like to get them looking their best. What type of leather grips did they come with? Any help very appreciated.

> @New_Yonkers said:

> Sorry to add to this thread. Picked up a set of Slazenger BH Precision today (£10) from a church fete near Carnoustie sadly 2-8 & and a E. Shaft bands (TT & Hogan) are as to be expected but the grips are Avon and shot to pieces. They are just for me but would like to get them looking their best. What type of leather grips did they come with? Any help very appreciated.

There are more knowledgeable members here and some on the same side of the pond as you whom could provide better information.

The Original grips were probably made by several grip company, but they'll be weather wrap grips with underlisting. We could still find the leather stripes but the underlisting is hard to come by. Years ago when they stopped making the underlisting for golf grips, a golfer named Arnold Palmer scraped up most of them for personal collection since he might have hundreds if not thousands of golf old style golf clubs needing repair sometime down the road.

The more convinient waty is to search for the leather grips come already installed on the underlisting, so you can just slip it on like the other grips. Grip Master, Best Grips...... they're expensive and may be a little tricky to install because the leather will not expand like rubber .

There are a few sources to get the leather stripes, the underlisting and the end cap will be the hard parts to find.

I re-use the end cap from old Winn grips saved when I took them off other clubs for this purpose. Under listing could be hand built if you're into that. Several sources on YouTube have good idea and you could modify their method to suit your use and with what you have.

Most impostantly, I'd check the shaft when I take off the old grip for signs of rust . Discoloring is not bad but if you see small flake of rust inside the shaft off the wall, you'll be better off reshaft them before you put them to use. Handing on the wall for display would be just fine.