Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Asking this in another forum as well as I am strongly considering these clubs. The thread is just a little too lengthy to go back and read through the whole thing so I apologize if this has been discussed or pointed out before. With all of the talk about increased distance with the P790 irons, is it mostly in the longer irons, 3 through 7 that have the jacked up lofts and speed slot? What about in the shorter irons, 8 through AW where the lofts are close to typical now days (same as my Apex CF16s)? I only carry the 5-AW in a set of irons so I am wondering if it is really worth it to see increased distance in only 3 clubs (5, 6, 7) if other technology is not leading to increased yardage in the higher lofted clubs.

... With so little weight added to the clubbed with lead tape to get to a desired swing weight, where you place it on the club head is pretty much irrelevant. I preferred to cover the area bag chatter occurs on the irons that need extra weight as you can see in this photo. I notice no difference in feel or sound between the irons with lead tape and those without.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Got mine and love the look of my selections! Just got done adding HD lead tape to get the SW proper, on all of them. Here are the specs and weights FYI:

P790 4-GW Modus 130S -1/2" with Golf Pride Tour Wrap G2 Black (standard), requested D2 SW

4- D0

5- D0

6- D0

7- C9

8- C9

9- D0

PW- D0

GW- C9

hFhf4Mc.jpg

So here they are all SW'd properly 4-9 @D2 and PW-GW @D3

zi2sMDg.jpg

K1zFnPz.jpg

GM3qRlW.jpg

Interesting...did the lead tape change the sound/feel for you ?

Feel is absolutely yes. I have played my clubs with 120gram-130gram shafts for the past 7-8 yrs and always D2-D3. So the feel is solid after a large bucket this evening.

The sound is less "clicky" which never bothered me stock, but I'll take it. I moved to these from my Mizzy JPX900 Forged not for the sound or feel but simply the fact that I hit yardage's I have never seen previously and how darn forgiving these are for the compact heads. Love them!

Looking at the spirit level bubble, was that balance beam located on a perfectly flat surface?. If not the measurement will be wrong.

Got mine and love the look of my selections! Just got done adding HD lead tape to get the SW proper, on all of them. Here are the specs and weights FYI:

P790 4-GW Modus 130S -1/2" with Golf Pride Tour Wrap G2 Black (standard), requested D2 SW

4- D0

5- D0

6- D0

7- C9

8- C9

9- D0

PW- D0

GW- C9

hFhf4Mc.jpg

So here they are all SW'd properly 4-9 @D2 and PW-GW @D3

zi2sMDg.jpg

K1zFnPz.jpg

GM3qRlW.jpg

Interesting...did the lead tape change the sound/feel for you ?

Feel is absolutely yes. I have played my clubs with 120gram-130gram shafts for the past 7-8 yrs and always D2-D3. So the feel is solid after a large bucket this evening.

The sound is less "clicky" which never bothered me stock, but I'll take it. I moved to these from my Mizzy JPX900 Forged not for the sound or feel but simply the fact that I hit yardage's I have never seen previously and how darn forgiving these are for the compact heads. Love them!

Looking at the spirit level bubble, was that balance beam located on a perfectly flat surface?. If not the measurement will be wrong.

Nice catch lol. Thanks and for sure balance flat surface. Balance bubble finished in the perfect position after this particular picture. As you can see the weight arm was still past or right if it’s resting point.

... With so little weight added to the clubbed with lead tape to get to a desired swing weight, where you place it on the club head is pretty much irrelevant. I preferred to cover the area bag chatter occurs on the irons that need extra weight as you can see in this photo. I notice no difference in feel or sound between the irons with lead tape and those without.

Nice work and agreed. Mine deifinitly sound more muted and less clicky since the added tape.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Asking this in another forum as well as I am strongly considering these clubs. The thread is just a little too lengthy to go back and read through the whole thing so I apologize if this has been discussed or pointed out before. With all of the talk about increased distance with the P790 irons, is it mostly in the longer irons, 3 through 7 that have the jacked up lofts and speed slot? What about in the shorter irons, 8 through AW where the lofts are close to typical now days (same as my Apex CF16s)? I only carry the 5-AW in a set of irons so I am wondering if it is really worth it to see increased distance in only 3 clubs (5, 6, 7) if other technology is not leading to increased yardage in the higher lofted clubs.

i have no issues on gapping at all

long and short ones

Im about to put my set on the marketplace. Ive seen huge distance gains, but the knuckleballs I get from the middle of the fairway on 5-7 iron arent worth it. My 7 will go anywhere from 175-195 with the exact same swing and conditions. Just too inconsistent in the mid irons. PW goes too far as well. Screws up my gapping. Going back to my Mizunos.

... What an interesting thread. Here is what we have learned on WRX concerning the P790's:

1. They produce very inconsistent distances with as much as 20-25 yd differences or more on any shot. OR they are some of the most consistent irons ever played and distance control is predictable and outstanding.

2. The are very dependable for yardage control from the light rough, let alone a good lie and give you the confidence to fire right at flags regardless of how difficult their position. OR even from the middle of the fairway you can get a flyer or knuckleball at any time and not just too long but completely flying greens.

3. The thin face produces consistent distance gains, just slightly more in the short irons, a little more in the mid irons and a nice yardage boost in the long irons, that initially takes some getting used to but once dialed in are dead on for distance. OR the thin face produces explosive shots that are impossible to predict, even in the short iron with the PW producing hybrid like distance and mid irons impossible to control.

4. They feel horrible and provide zero feedback with no idea where contact is made. OR they have a very nice dense and soft feel and are a joy to play. The feedback isn't like a MB, but decent players can certainly tell where they hit these on the face.

5. They produce slightly lower but consistent spin, combined with a higher trajectory and the ball usually stops within a foot or two of it's pitchmark. OR the low spin causes the ball to not only fly over the green, if it miraculously lands on the green it rolls out and it is impossible to judge any approach shot.

6. They just look awful at address with a very long heel to toe length and that makes you feel like the ball can go anywhere. OR they look great at address with a somewhat compact head, beautiful hosel transition, thin enough top line and make you feel like you have complete control over every shot.

7. They are SGI irons and comparable to AP1's or Ping SGI's with a huge head, thick top line, wide sole and can't even take a divot from a lush fairway. OR they compare to AP2's and other players irons with a thinnish top line, compact head for a players iron, a narrower sole than most GI's and take a normal divots just like many other players irons.

... I may have missed something but I think this pretty much sums up P790's. So whether or not you should buy a set based off others comments should be an easy decision. :wacko:

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

... What an interesting thread. Here is what we have learned on WRX concerning the P790's:

1. They produce very inconsistent distances with as much as 20-25 yd differences or more on any shot. OR they are some of the most consistent irons ever played and distance control is predictable and outstanding.

2. The are very dependable for yardage control from the light rough, let alone a good lie and give you the confidence to fire right at flags regardless of how difficult their position. OR even from the middle of the fairway you can get a flyer or knuckleball at any time and not just too long but completely flying greens.

3. The thin face produces consistent distance gains, just slightly more in the short irons, a little more in the mid irons and a nice yardage boost in the long irons, that initially takes some getting used to but once dialed in are dead on for distance. OR the thin face produces explosive shots that are impossible to predict, even in the short iron with the PW producing hybrid like distance and mid irons impossible to control.

4. They feel horrible and provide zero feedback with no idea where contact is made. OR they have a very nice dense and soft feel and are a joy to play. The feedback isn't like a MB, but decent players can certainly tell where they hit these on the face.

5. They produce slightly lower but consistent spin, combined with a higher trajectory and the ball usually stops within a foot or two of it's pitchmark. OR the low spin causes the ball to not only fly over the green, if it miraculously lands on the green it rolls out and it is impossible to judge any approach shot.

6. They just look awful at address with a very long heel to toe length and that makes you feel like the ball can go anywhere. OR they look great at address with a somewhat compact head, beautiful hosel transition, thin enough top line and make you feel like you have complete control over every shot.

7. They are SGI irons and comparable to AP1's or Ping SGI's with a huge head, thick top line, wide sole and can't even take a divot from a lush fairway. OR they compare to AP2's and other players irons with a thinnish top line, compact head for a players iron, a narrower sole than most GI's and take a normal divots just like many other players irons.

... I may have missed something but I think this pretty much sums up P790's. So whether or not you should buy a set based off others comments should be an easy decision. :wacko:

Lol. Great summation.

Pretty much this. They've been a real game changer for me and allowed me to feel competitive again after years of struggles, but at the same time, I can see where some might have a few issues with them.

Driver: TaylorMade M4 (Tensei Blue 60)
3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ
Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3
5-PW: TayloMade P790 (TT S300 DG105, 3* Flat)
48*: Callaway Vintage Forged +
52*, 56*: Callaway X Forged Vintage
60: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled
Putter: Ping Stainless Anser 2, Ping Stainless B60, Odyssey White Hot 2Ball Blade, Odyssey White Steel Rossie, 1979 TaylorMade Heel Shafted Blade (I keep them in rotation until one quits working.)
Ball: Vice Pro Soft Lime

Shot 69 with them today, so put me in the "P790s are GOAT - versatile and consistent" camp.

Shot 69 with them today, so put me in the "P790s are GOAT - versatile and consistent" camp.

69...great score!

I know I hit my 5 iron as well as any 5 iron I have ever used. But, got to say that the reported inconsistencies have so far scared me away from a full set. Either way, you obviously made them work for you today!!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

69...great score!

I know I hit my 5 iron as well as any 5 iron I have ever used. But, got to say that the reported inconsistencies have so far scared me away from a full set. Either way, you obviously made them work for you today!!

I come from playing MP 33's and MP 4's for about 18 years with a set of FG Tour V4's mixed in for a year. I have found the P790's every bit as consistent distance wise and equally versatile. For example, a stock 8 iron goes about 152 for me. I can de-loft slightly and play a draw and get the distance to about 158. On the other hand, I can choke down and play a punch fade and get the ball to go 143. And it has been consistent. I have not had any "hot spot" inexplicable distances.

I would summarize as follows: They are a club longer than traditional Mizuno blades (my P790's are bent 1* weak). They can do everything that my Mizuno's do, they are just a little more forgiving on the low-face strikes.

I am more of a sweeper than a digger, so they are perfect for me.

Sounds about right! I bought them based on the consistency and look and gave them about 5 rounds and a couple of range sessions. Yeah, distance was good, but I can't hit a 7 iron 170 one time and 195 the next. This was confirmed on tracman at a fitting facility. The guy checking my specs and doing the fittings said he had seen this often, especially with any type of faster swing speed. I have put the Scratch blades back in the bag. I may not hit them as far, but I do know exactly how far they can go. Based on the number of sets unsold on BST, i'd say i'm stuck with mine unfortunately.

I am loving mine in their infancy in my bag. After a round and a few buckets, these P790's for me are a club longer than my JPX900 Forged, seemingly as consistent, and subjectively as rewarding. The real draw back for me is the sound sensation and feel of the ball off the face, which seems quite a bit more "clicky" than the JPX 900 Forged or my ole MP53's. Since I received them, I did add some HD lead tape on the backs to get the SW's up (posted on the last page) to D2 for the irons and D3 for the wedges. This seems to have muted the "click" a little and making them more sound attractive. I am going to play and practice with them till the next HO moment comes out. Those JPX 919 Forged irons already have my eye LOL. Thanks WRX

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Had an interesting instance over the weekend where I had 139yrd to a middle pin, 120 to cover a left front bunker and huge pine tree behind the green. I have consistently been hitting my 9i 135-140 up to now but on this occasion I found the pitch mark 12 yards directly behind the pin and the ball another 15yrds off the back of the green. Apparently I need a new range finder or i mistakenly shot the pine tree and the flag was really only 100 yards out. If that were the case, somebody must have changed the 100 yard marker in the fairway from red to white as I was just in front of it when I shot the pin. Will have to re-enact that shot one afternoon this week to see which scenario it was.

Anyone looking for a Bushnell that reads a little long?

My clubs were lost by an airline on June 1 and I bought a set of 790s the next week when it appeared I'd never see my clubs again.

Right at the same time, I go from playing my best golf ever (5.6 index and going down) to absolutely having no clue where I'm hitting it (7.3 index and rising rapidly). A month later my old clubs turned up but I've been sticking with the 790s.

After a particularly bad round last week I scheduled a lesson and told him I'd like his opinion on my clubs. So today I put my old Callaway XR 8 iron and 7 iron in my bag along with the 790s.

After warming up with the 790 8 iron he has me swap to the Callaway. He noticed that I was keeping the clubhead of the XR behind my hands on the downswing but not the 790, and he put the images side by side on the monitor. He checks the lie of the 790s and they're consistently 3 degrees flatter than the XRs with the exception of the 4 iron which was standard.

I can start playing poorly on my own like nobody's business, but the timing made him think that I'd developed some poor habits by trying to manipulate the club subconsciously on my downswing to account for the 3 degree difference in lie angle.

He bent them all to standard and gave me some drills to work on. Hopefully after a couple practice sessions I'll have a better idea if the 790s are for me or not.

Saw a set of these listed on eBay. Must admit, they look better than I expected: https://www.ebay.com...made p790&rt=nc

And no, I am not tied to the ad in any way.

I spoke with a Head Pro that is a TM staffer. He has a set of the black 790's in his bag. He said he was disappointed at how quickly the finish wore off.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Saw a set of these listed on eBay. Must admit, they look better than I expected: https://www.ebay.com...made p790&rt=nc

I spoke with a Head Pro that is a TM staffer. He has a set of the black 790's in his bag. He said he was disappointed at how quickly the finish wore off.

that was my biggest concern with the black finish. I have and LOVE my p790s but i learned my lesson with my old PM grind... fancy finishes are not made to last.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Not unexpected, as I said earlier, TM could have easily invested in a better, LASTING finish like DBM but they chose not too and hiked the price up $500 as well just for the eye candy.

Eye candy. Sigh. Look for used sets with crappy faces on ebay for LESS than the chrome ones...I still will not touch it.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

For the extra dough that they are asking for the black finish I don't think they are worth it, not even if the finished held up. A lot of jack just for a cosmetic change as I love my P790's just how they are now.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

69...great score!

I come from playing MP 33's and MP 4's for about 18 years with a set of FG Tour V4's mixed in for a year. I have found the P790's every bit as consistent distance wise and equally versatile. For example, a stock 8 iron goes about 152 for me. I can de-loft slightly and play a draw and get the distance to about 158. On the other hand, I can choke down and play a punch fade and get the ball to go 143. And it has been consistent. I have not had any "hot spot" inexplicable distances.

I would summarize as follows: They are a club longer than traditional Mizuno blades (my P790's are bent 1* weak). They can do everything that my Mizuno's do, they are just a little more forgiving on the low-face strikes.

I am more of a sweeper than a digger, so they are perfect for me.

I have found similar forgiveness on thin shots, which is my miss as a sweeper. I have tried to talk myself out of these irons over and over, not a big TM fan...But they remain as high performers and in the bag.

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

These have been out of the bag for a few weeks now as I've gone back to my 501s. I found the distances more inconsistent the more I used these. Was striping them straight, but pin high began tougher and tougher to hit. From 150 yards out I'd be able to get a PW there, but also a 9 iron, it was very weird. Very easy to catch the hot spot. Plus I found a massive gap between the shortest iron and wedge.

Still fantastic irons though, a buddy of mine is using them and his handicap has dropped significantly since bagging them. Just not for me I guess...

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

My experience is that lower spin players struggle with distance control, higher spin players think they are perfect. Obviously that's generalizing but as a low spin guy I've confirmed on a gc2 that they will go different distances on me with settings that feel similar. And I'm an admirer of the product though I don't game them.

Look here look here

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X