Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

My experience is that lower spin players struggle with distance control, higher spin players think they are perfect. Obviously that's generalizing but as a low spin guy I've confirmed on a gc2 that they will go different distances on me with settings that feel similar. And I'm an admirer of the product though I don't game them.

... I would call myself an average spin player. I live in the Chicago suburbs and it gets pretty windy here. I have a set of Honma 737's I love to play every now and then but yesterday it was gusting to 25 mph and I really wish I had played my P790's. Lower spin combined with a higher trajectory gives me the best of all worlds in windy conditions with the P790's as I can hit knockdowns or just hit it solid right thru the wind as the lower spin does not effect my shots as much in windy conditions. I could make the argument that for me, the 790's produce more reliable distance than my Honma's, all things considered including the wind. Ymmv of course.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

My experience is that lower spin players struggle with distance control, higher spin players think they are perfect. Obviously that's generalizing but as a low spin guy I've confirmed on a gc2 that they will go different distances on me with settings that feel similar. And I'm an admirer of the product though I don't game them.

... I would call myself an average spin player. I live in the Chicago suburbs and it gets pretty windy here. I have a set of Honma 737's I love to play every now and then but yesterday it was gusting to 25 mph and I really wish I had played my P790's. Lower spin combined with a higher trajectory gives me the best of all worlds in windy conditions with the P790's as I can hit knockdowns or just hit it solid right thru the wind as the lower spin does not effect my shots as much in windy conditions. I could make the argument that for me, the 790's produce more reliable distance than my Honma's, all things considered including the wind. Ymmv of course.

Yeah, I think even the average spin guys do fine with them. Like I can't play Apex CF16s, and I love how they feel, but for me they just ran out like crazy. I actually physically took a z765 and a same lofted 790 out onto a golf course and hit them from the same spot and actually looked at the run out. The 790 was a little longer, but the runout was significantly higher. And again, YMMV absolutely, but my problem is that I just don't get enough spin on the ball - the z765 is the first iron I've ever played that I could hit basically to the stick, and my cap has dropped significantly because of it. That said one of my best friends has 790s and they are perfect for him. Great clubs in the right hands.

Yeah, I think even the average spin guys do fine with them. Like I can't play Apex CF16s, and I love how they feel, but for me they just ran out like crazy. I actually physically took a z765 and a same lofted 790 out onto a golf course and hit them from the same spot and actually looked at the run out. The 790 was a little longer, but the runout was significantly higher. And again, YMMV absolutely, but my problem is that I just don't get enough spin on the ball - the z765 is the first iron I've ever played that I could hit basically to the stick, and my cap has dropped significantly because of it. That said one of my best friends has 790s and they are perfect for him. Great clubs in the right hands.

...Yup, the is a great time to be involved with equipment as there are just so many great clubs out there right now. When I went to the PGA Show 10 years ago there were always standouts in every category but in recent years it is difficult to find a favorite. Give me 5 reviewers and I think there is the distinct possibility all 5 could have a different favorite between the F8, Rogue, G400, 917D's and M series drivers. Same thing for irons. Choosing the right one will come down to spin, trajectory, forgiveness and personal preference. But they are all very, very good these days.

I’ve narrowed my next iron choice down to the 790s and another set but leaning heavily toward the 790s. Now I’m in another dilemma, while I would be content with a good used set I find myself attracted to the new black ones. Part of me wants to get those but the other part finds it hard to justify paying double for a set just to get a different colored finish.

Technology is good, and it is also bad. Manufacturers don't know when to stop. I hit the 790s and the new i500s, and these clubs are inconsistent. The flyers I was getting instills no confidence. Funny thing is this.. they make decent CBs, some forged, and they are decent. Why make these shovels that they try to look like blades.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

I picked up a brand new set on the Bay, 4 thru 9 irons. So I’m wondering how everyone likes the pitching wedge and gap wedge from the set, especially for chipping and straightforward pitches.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

Not refuting your experience but why would these have “flyer” issues more than a normal CB when these are essentially just closed in CBs?

I’m wondering the same thing but experiencing the same with mine. One possible cause, in my opinion, is with the hollow design being filled with a foam gel, it’s quite possible that there are small air pockets formed when filled and that air pocket could potentially allow the face to flex ever so slightly more therefore producing a flyer. Pure speculation on my part but I can vouch that flyers do happen with my set. My 9i did it again yesterday. Hit two balls on a par three and the first landed right at 140yrd, which is normall for me, where the second that was a slight push, carried almost 155 and ended up some 30 yards past the pin. Totally unexceptable in my opinion as I have no confidence standing over a ball when I have no clue how far it’s going to go this time. I’m curious if the new Ping i500’s will have similar issues being hollow.

Not refuting your experience but why would these have “flyer” issues more than a normal CB when these are essentially just closed in CBs?

I’m wondering the same thing but experiencing the same with mine. One possible cause, in my opinion, is with the hollow design being filled with a foam gel, it’s quite possible that there are small air pockets formed when filled and that air pocket could potentially allow the face to flex ever so slightly more therefore producing a flyer. Pure speculation on my part but I can vouch that flyers do happen with my set. My 9i did it again yesterday. Hit two balls on a par three and the first landed right at 140yrd, which is normall for me, where the second that was a slight push, carried almost 155 and ended up some 30 yards past the pin. Totally unexceptable in my opinion as I have no confidence standing over a ball when I have no clue how far it’s going to go this time. I’m curious if the new Ping i500’s will have similar issues being hollow.

You see, all I need is one example of these fliers from hollow clubs and its enough to forget about buying them - yet we have many many many folks saying the same about these clubs, fliers all over the place - NO WAY NO HOW!!!

Golf is all about distance control - without it, you have nothing.

Does PXG have this issue? Their face is thinner so it would seem they would have this issue as well. Maybe it’s the foam. Perhaps TM uses a less dense material that is too pliable whereas PXG while having thinner faces use a more dense material inside the head.

I haven’t had any issues with mine and did research prior to buying and didn’t find much on it like I’ve read in 790 threads online.

Does PXG have this issue? Their face is thinner so it would seem they would have this issue as well. Maybe it’s the foam. Perhaps TM uses a less dense material that is too pliable whereas PXG while having thinner faces use a more dense material inside the head.

My buddy has it happen to his pxg. Witnessed it today again. He usually hits his 6 with my 7. He pured it on a par three and air mails the green.

For reference, my TMB are hollow without the goo inside. Very consistent distances. I’m a +2 handicap and I know my distances... these don’t do the hit spotting like the filled clubs.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Does PXG have this issue? Their face is thinner so it would seem they would have this issue as well. Maybe its the foam. Perhaps TM uses a less dense material that is too pliable whereas PXG while having thinner faces use a more dense material inside the head.

My buddy has it happen to his pxg. Witnessed it today again. He usually hits his 6 with my 7. He pured it on a par three and air mails the green. I think its the thin faces and filling. Cant control the spring consistently.

For reference, my TMB are hollow without the goo inside. Very consistent distances. Im a +2 handicap and I know my distances... these dont do the hit spotting like the filled clubs.

To me that’s kinda confusing. I can’t see how the foam would really make that much difference. I can see the next iteration having progressive face thickness and maybe even progressive density in foam. Maybe someone can take the Toe screw out of their irons and remove the foam just to test it out.

I suspect that since the faces are thin and msybe can’t support the force of impact with the goo (purely speculation here). Maybe the goo doesn’t react as consistently as a metal face.

This technique is very popular now. I suspect that it’ll get more refined and will get better.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

That’s probably a liability statement in case they start getting tons of calls about the wear. “We told you” they might wear faster.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

... I certainly am not going to say I don't believe the people claiming these fliers that happen with regularity, or even at all. What I do know is I have over 100 rounds in with mine and have not had one flier or ball travel a distance I was not expecting. I played the last 2 rounds using my Honma 737's and had zero birdies because I was just not hitting them close enough to the hole. To be fair the greens were slow and a little bumpy but I did not knock the flag down in those two rounds with my Honma's. Put the P790's back in the bag and birdied 8, 9 and 10. That's 3 birdies in a row because I hit my approach shots to 2', 1' and 6'. Birdied two more hitting an approach shots to a few inches and I also made a 10 footer. You don't make 5 birdies with irons that are inconsistent.

... Again, I am not refuting anyone else's personal experience, but those comments are just real head scratchers to me because I find the P790's to be the most accurate irons I have ever played. As always with any clubs ymmv ...

Reading these last 3 pages, Starting to get a bit nervous. Picking up my new black 790s w/ S Taper black shafts tomorrow. I currently game Miz MP18 mbs modus 120 1degree strong. Love my mp18s and playing great golf but was lured by the power of the dark side. Heck I’ve never even owned a TM product! I used to hate the brand but do like the recent woods and entire P series iron lineup. I’m not getting rid of my Mp18s but starting to worry bout the 790 fliers.

Black irons wear so not too worried bout that.

Anyone out there move from a players iron/blade to 790 and enjoying the easy extra distance and ease of use?

Thx.

Ps. I did pick up a Hi Toe 60 TM and early returns are favorable

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos Blue S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S
Titleist T100S w DG 105 4-PW

Miura K2.0 54, 60. SM9 black 50
Odyssey 7 ch 

Black p790 with $taper! Show some pic. That'd be a sexy pairing!!

After I bent my 6i weaken the flier seems to be gone. I haven't had any fliers with other irons. Just 6.

Coming from CB, I'm enjoying quiet a boost in confidence. Shots are beautiful.

Although I've move to fourteen fh900 and it's awesome feeling

So everyone is telling me that they’ve never hit a club “FLUSHED” and it flew 10yds+ further than what they expected??? Cmon guys, every set I’ve ever played I’ll get the occasional “I nutted that one” and it just flies. I don’t think the 790s are any different. IMO - If we were all pros here I could put some belief in these hot spots but I just truly believe these are already hot clubs and when you nut one, it goes, just like any other set. Just my $.02

Hey chisag what ball and shaft are you playing if I may ask?

... Recoil Prototype 95's and TP5x.

Played my 6th round with my 790s today.

I have never had a flyer

Yardages have been very consistent for me

I have the wedge set up at 46 degrees to match my old Ping wedge and find it goes the same distance

YMMV but I'm really starting to get used to these now, the lighter swing-weight through my timing off for the first few rounds

So everyone is telling me that they've never hit a club "FLUSHED" and it flew 10yds+ further than what they expected??? Cmon guys, every set I've ever played I'll get the occasional "I nutted that one" and it just flies. I don't think the 790s are any different. IMO - If we were all pros here I could put some belief in these hot spots but I just truly believe these are already hot clubs and when you nut one, it goes, just like any other set. Just my $.02

... I usually hit the center of the face with regularity so my "flushed" shot is what I would call a "normal" shot. However, I certainly do miss the center occasionally, every round in fact, and those shots fly shorter but as on target as any iron I have played. And of course every now and then everything seems out of whack in a round and I suffer through those and try to grind out a score. For me, that is the beauty of the P790's as 90% of the time I do not need the forgiveness, but the other 10% of the time I am glad it is there. I am beginning to think some just miss the center more often than not and that "FLUSHED" shot is what they are calling a flyer, which would make a lot of sense.

Had mine in the uk from the start of the season, replaced a set of snake eye 695 player cavities. Also moved from PX 6.0 to KBS TOUR 125.

Initially I regretted the decision to change and wished I’d went for MP 18 split cavities. Especially after hearing scare stories about fliers and unmanageable gaps between 7 and 8. I also airmailed a few greens. My handicap went up about a shot, very disappointed....

After 3 months with them, I can report they are staying for the long term.

It’s easy to jump on band wagons especially with new gear. Looking back it’s obvious that with new clubs with hugely different performance characteristics and feel, there’s going to be a few surprises, when the forum is alight with fliers and yardage gaps it’s easy to second guess yourself - I did.

Ive had fliers, but normally from shots swings or lies where fliers were odds on anyway, I’ve also had 9 irons rip 10 feet off the front..

Get fit by someone you trust and these things will do you proud. Very proud. Handicap currently at career low....