Gas Grill vs. Charcoal vs. Pellet

sTmGolfer

Opinions welcomed! What's your preferred cooking tool?

Here's my current situation and list of current tools.

1. UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker). This has been my go-to for all smoking needs. if you're not aware of this simplistic contraption, do yourself a favor and head over to The Google and search. It replaced #2. It's on it's last leg (or so I've convinced myself), but this thing has been my baby. Easy to load up in the truck and take elsewhere.

2. Custom made off-set stick burner. I love it and hate it. It is solid as a rock, large cooking area, and heavy as a MoFo. However, with two small kids, I don't have the time nor patience anymore to tend to the fire all night. Item #1 is so much easier. Hasn't been used in 5+ years.

3. Weber Kettle Grill - Tailgate size. I love this little kettle for grilling steaks, but I want/need something bigger.

4. Ducane 5 burner gasser. (Ducane is Weber's "China Sister"). Love this grill but we got a nasty wind storm here in Texas that blew it over and threw it about 5 feet. This thing is pretty much toast.

So I have lots of tools on their last leg or dead or whatever other excuse I can come up with to buy some new shi ... stuff. Considering buying one of the following.

Wanted items:

1. Weber Kettle 22.5" or similar.

2. Pellet grill (really dig Grilla Grills. Don't talk to me about Traegers ... way better options for way less money. Take your fancy pants brand elsewhere)

3. Gasser (may buy an old Weber and spruce it up).

Grill Masters ... if you could only have one cooking tool for the rest of your days ... what you choosing?

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

Easy. If you’re going to have just one, can’t beat a Weber kettle. Whether grilling steaks, or smoking a pork butt, a Weber can do it all. Lots of mods for turning one into a more effective smoker.

Have a Weber gas for convenience. A Camp Chef dedicated smoker. Not a fan of pellet smokers. The pellets are costly compared to wood chunks. But will always have a Weber kettle on hand. Mine’s 30+ years old and still cooking.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Easy. If you're going to have just one, can't beat a Weber kettle. Whether grilling steaks, or smoking a pork butt, a Weber can do it all. Lots of mods for turning one into a more effective smoker.

Have a Weber gas for convenience. A Camp Chef dedicated smoker. Not a fan of pellet smokers. The pellets are costly compared to wood chunks. But will always have a Weber kettle on hand. Mine's 30+ years old and still cooking.

Other than cost of pellets, any other things that turn you away from pellet grills?

I think I tend to agree with you with regards to the kettle and likely the route I go. I keep trying to convince myself to buy another gasser for convenience, but heating up some lump charcoal is so quick with a chimney that the convenience factor is marginalized.

What parts of Michigan you from? Born and raised in Rochester Hills ... but I come from a Wolverine family (Go Blue!).

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
Axis 1 Joey

Easy. If you're going to have just one, can't beat a Weber kettle. Whether grilling steaks, or smoking a pork butt, a Weber can do it all. Lots of mods for turning one into a more effective smoker.

Have a Weber gas for convenience. A Camp Chef dedicated smoker. Not a fan of pellet smokers. The pellets are costly compared to wood chunks. But will always have a Weber kettle on hand. Mine's 30+ years old and still cooking.

Other than cost of pellets, any other things that turn you away from pellet grills?

I think I tend to agree with you with regards to the kettle and likely the route I go. I keep trying to convince myself to buy another gasser for convenience, but heating up some lump charcoal is so quick with a chimney that the convenience factor is marginalized.

What parts of Michigan you from? Born and raised in Rochester Hills ... but I come from a Wolverine family (Go Blue!).

Northern Oakland county (Ortonville), 7 miles due north of Pine Knob. Grew up in Clarkston.

Pellet Grills. Augers, digital controllers, to many parts to maintain, not break. PITA to clean up. Can't put a good sear on a steak. Because your not directly grilling over radiant heat. Besides the necessity of often needing proprietary pellets. If I run out of wood, can run up to the local hardware store and pick some up. Expensive to buy a quality unit. Heavy in weight. Although I will admit, no direct usage of a pellet grill. Others may have a differing opinion.

Your original supposition was "if you had to pick just one". That's why I chose the Weber kettle. Nothing can beat its simplicity, portability, versatility and cost. And as mentioned, can turn it into a very good smoker with some mods.

WTS, probably would not be without a gas grill these days. Every grilling occasion doesn't have to be a smoke. Purely from a convenience standpoint. Grill all winter on the back deck. Pull the gas right up to the doorwall. Don't even have to go outside to turn some chicken breasts, flip a burger. Don't want to mess around with starting charcoal (even with the convenience of a chimney) when its 10* and snowing outside. Have the burgers done by the time the charcoal is ready to go. Likely will be replacing the gasser this fall, taking advantage of end of season sales. Think hard on going with a Napoleon. One with a infrared side sear and rear burner (for rotisserie). A little more expensive than Webers, but seems to be a quality unit with a better burner warranty.

Performed my due diligence last fall while searching for a new smoker. Gave strong consideration to the UDS. But ultimately, wanted to move away from charcoal. Mostly from a convenience standpoint. Decided on the 24" Camp Chef Smoke Vault. (Bought mine online for a c-note less than advertised retail.) Quality construction, good size, easy to move around into the corner of the garage when not in use. No brainer operation for a long smoke, very good at maintaining an even temp throughout. Augmented with a good digital probe thermometer. May add a door seal gasket when I get around to it, to tighten things up a bit. Been more than happy with the results, a unit that does not have to be "baby set" over the course of a long smoke. After six hours of smoke, it's more about getting the internal temp up to a specific level rather than additional smoke. Although, from a pursuit standpoint, not using charcoal and/or wood chunks. But I'm not a competition BBQ'er seeking the perfect smoke ring on a brisket. Does the job "good enough". No complaints from the fam or others that consume the results.

My additional .02 on the subject. As always, YMMV.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

May my last Webber RIP.... My spiritual journey for a new cooker led me to the Kamado Joe and I will likely never use a different type of grill again...

The Kamado is solid. It’s not the most convenient, easiest thing to use, but the food definitely tastes better. It’s at least as good as a big green egg for much less money.

I love my weber for grilling, and i have an off set smoker. My smoker is to inefficient with heat, hard to maintain a solid temperature for a long time. My next purchase will for sure be a ceramic egg style smoker. I read about this professor of engineering at mit who was a bbq fanatic and the final project his kids had to make the “best” smoker and they always made a ceramic style egg smoker

One? Geez... The classic kettle has the ability to do everything but can be a pain. I would still pick it just because of its versatility. I have a barrel,gasser, pellet cooker and a 36" griddle.

I am new to the pellet cooker world, about a month into owning my Traeger. I know it's not the most popular choice but it was a gift that I treasure! It holds its temp like a champ and switching pellet brands gives me more smoke. I am tempted to build a hack to get direct sear on it or I may mount an induction burner to the side shelf. But I do have other searing options.

I never use my gasser except for veggies here and there.

The griddle is the most exciting thing to cook on. Smash burgers, street cart chicken, fajitas, hibachi, pancakes, bacon, I mean the sky is the limit. It just doesn't smoke

I’m a classic Weber Kettle fan. As others have mentioned, it’s incredibly versatile, but I think it’s highly underrated as a smoker. Don’t tell anyone, but I have a pellet and drum smoker yet I pull out the Weber Kettle for local BBQ competitions! I use a a Slow N Sear insert and can hold perfect 225 temps for hours, way better than my other “real” smokers. Only time I bust out the other smokers is for large orders when I have to feed a crowd.

If I could only own one grill for the rest of my life it would hands down he be a classic Weber Kettle, hands down. ?

Only one? That's a tough assignment! Here are my thoughts.

Given no other choice in the matter I'd use a Weber Kettle as well. Direct grilling is what God made it to do. It can easily be made into an oven. I can do a passable job smoking with it -- I use a Lodge cast iron Dutch oven filled halfway with water on one side and a small amount of coals and hard wood on the other. The Lodge is a pretty good heat sink and helps me keep the temperature low and helps reduce the fluctuation when I do the (necessary) tending to the fire side to keep the temp down.

Now -- life is too damn short for one grill!

I don't own a smoker at the moment. Instead I use a Pit Barrel Cooker. It's not quite the same as a true smoker, but I'm fine with it because similar to an UDS, it's impossible to make bad food in it. Thanksgiving turkey with a nice dry brine on it will change the way you think about turkey forever!

Next, I bought a high quality gas grill. https://cajunfryer.com/shop/scg30-30-smokin-cajun-grill-gas/ Carbon steel -- not sure if it has mill marks or if the steel is "fresh" or if it was cast on the slopes of Mount Fuji using fire fanned by the breath of four hundred virgins like some of the putters this forum loves, but I do know this grill is so heavy, so solid, so well built, and so consistent with temperature that I hope to pass it down to my oldest son (he is 10 years old so I'm thinking it will be a while.)

I also own a Weber Q portable for tailgating duty (convenient, easy to pack, and a breeze to clean up), and the aforementioned Weber kettle grill.

What I really want is a Stumps gravity feed. http://stumpssmokers.com/ Stump don't build no junk! Friend of mine back in Atlanta has one -- I've cooked with it and wanted one ever since. I don't buy and sell many clubs, so I think I can get this through the household's CFO this year.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

My Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear is my weapon of choice. I can cook pretty much anything on it. Drilled a hole for some therm probes and it works as a damn fine smoker as well. I have a Weber spirit propane as well but I hardly ever use it now. Only if I’m in a real time crunch or need more real estate do I use it.

Real estate is really my biggest issue with my 22.5 Kettle so that’s why I have 2. But it’s still a challenge to fit a brisket over 15 pounds on them. One day I’ll probably change one of the kettles and the gasser out for a true high quality offset smoker where I can fit a brisket, a pork butt and a few racks comfortably.

I have 2...a Char Grill Kamado Grill (which I do 90% of my cooking on) and a small gas grill. An off-brand...just something for quick stuff after work (brats, Italians, etc.).

If you put a gun to my head, I'd keep just the Kamado.

I can smoke a 16 lb Brisket, 1 large or 2 small Pork Butts. Crank it up to 600˚ and do a great steak.

https://www.chargriller.com/collections/kamado-grills/products/akorn-20-kamado-6719

Kamado Joe, Louisiana Country smoker pellet grill and Weber gas owner.

Kamado Joe is the only one that gets used. By far the best smoker and steak or grill cooking option. Extremely easy to control temp and do direct grilling or add the hot plate divert and have a awesome smoker.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSI2 13.5* 

Titleist TSI2 16.5*
Titleist T150 4-PW Modus 105x

SM7 50*, SM8 55*, PXG 60*
PXG Spitfire

I've been using Camp Chef to smoke and its been great. chose it as it was the only one that had ability to convert to natural gas, which i did. added a strip of gasket seal around the door and it hold a constant temp perfect. let it smoke overnight for brisket at 230 and went out in morning and it hadn't moved more than couple degrees and i was using the proper digital thermometer probes. the only complaint is the dial is really touchy in setting the temp. wish they would add a needle valve to gas line.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Buy a pellet and you’ll throw all those other grills away. Love my Green Mountain. Also bought the pizza oven for it as well. I’ve cooked on it 12 times or so since I bought it a couple weeks ago and will be doing a pork butt tomorrow. I chose the Green Mountain because I got more grill for the money and it was the only WiFi pid controlled under $1k out of the box I found. I’ll use this one till I wear it out and upgrade next time. This is my first pellet and I LOVE it

Buy a pellet and you’ll throw all those other grills away. Love my Green Mountain. Also bought the pizza oven for it as well. I’ve cooked on it 12 times or so since I bought it a couple weeks ago and will be doing a pork butt tomorrow. I chose the Green Mountain because I got more grill for the money and it was the only WiFi pid controlled under $1k out of the box I found. I’ll use this one till I wear it out and upgrade next time. This is my first pellet and I LOVE it

I couldn’t get the GM Pizza Oven over 800 degrees for Neapolitan style so that was a deal breaker for me.

I couldn’t get the GM Pizza Oven over 800 degrees for Neapolitan style so that was a deal breaker for me.

My only hesitation with a pellet grill is they seem FANTASTIC for simple low and slow bbq, which I do quite a bit of. Set it, forget it, wake up next morning to great bbq. But for everyday burgers and especially steaks, there’s no way the searing ability would come close to a kettle, Kamado, or even gasser. Which may be a deal breaker for me.

The more I’m thinking about things, the more I’m thinking a Kamado might be my next purchase. Perfect for everyday steaks and burgers. Great for low and slow. Best of both worlds. ONLY downside would be how much space I can get. Double layer racks seem to help, but pellets seem to have Kamados best in that regard. But truthfully, I would rarely need that much space. Not often am I smiling more than 2 pork butts and maybe a couple racks of ribs.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
Axis 1 Joey

I have a Char-Broil Commercial Tru-Infrared gas grill and I love it. I was never very confident with grilling until I recently got a digital thermometer. Now, I feel like every thing comes out perfect and I don't have to cut into the meats to make sure they're done correctly. I can't imagine taking the time to smoke meats or using charcoal. I don't have enough talent or patience, maybe both.

My only hesitation with a pellet grill is they seem FANTASTIC for simple low and slow bbq, which I do quite a bit of. Set it, forget it, wake up next morning to great bbq. But for everyday burgers and especially steaks, there’s no way the searing ability would come close to a kettle, Kamado, or even gasser. Which may be a deal breaker for me.

The more I’m thinking about things, the more I’m thinking a Kamado might be my next purchase. Perfect for everyday steaks and burgers. Great for low and slow. Best of both worlds. ONLY downside would be how much space I can get. Double layer racks seem to help, but pellets seem to have Kamados best in that regard. But truthfully, I would rarely need that much space. Not often am I smiling more than 2 pork butts and maybe a couple racks of ribs.

Sure it will. Grill Grates. Mine get to 650 degrees as read with an infrared thermometer. As for the pizza oven, I had my stone at 945 degrees the other night and had to wait an hour for the temp to come down cool enough to cook on

I got rid of an infrared Weber and an egg. Gave the infrared away and sold the egg for $400 (large). Eggs are status symbols, can get the same grill cheaper with a different name on it. Food is 10x better off the pellet though

Only one? That's a tough assignment! Here are my thoughts.

Given no other choice in the matter I'd use a Weber Kettle as well. Direct grilling is what God made it to do. It can easily be made into an oven. I can do a passable job smoking with it -- I use a Lodge cast iron Dutch oven filled halfway with water on one side and a small amount of coals and hard wood on the other. The Lodge is a pretty good heat sink and helps me keep the temperature low and helps reduce the fluctuation when I do the (necessary) tending to the fire side to keep the temp down.

Now -- life is too damn short for one grill!

I don't own a smoker at the moment. Instead I use a Pit Barrel Cooker. It's not quite the same as a true smoker, but I'm fine with it because similar to an UDS, it's impossible to make bad food in it. Thanksgiving turkey with a nice dry brine on it will change the way you think about turkey forever!

Next, I bought a high quality gas grill. https://cajunfryer.com/shop/scg30-30-smokin-cajun-grill-gas/ Carbon steel -- not sure if it has mill marks or if the steel is "fresh" or if it was cast on the slopes of Mount Fuji using fire fanned by the breath of four hundred virgins like some of the putters this forum loves, but I do know this grill is so heavy, so solid, so well built, and so consistent with temperature that I hope to pass it down to my oldest son (he is 10 years old so I'm thinking it will be a while.)

I also own a Weber Q portable for tailgating duty (convenient, easy to pack, and a breeze to clean up), and the aforementioned Weber kettle grill.

What I really want is a Stumps gravity feed. http://stumpssmokers.com/ Stump don't build no junk! Friend of mine back in Atlanta has one -- I've cooked with it and wanted one ever since. I don't buy and sell many clubs, so I think I can get this through the household's CFO this year.

You, sir, know your cooking apparatuses.

Apologies. I have no idea why Golfwrx rotates all of my photos from my iPhone. Super annoying.

I have been working on my pizza dough, though I’m more into NY style. Your dough looks outstanding with the air pockets. Is that your secret recipe or more being able to get the heat needed? I just switched to Tipo 00 flour and its made a huge difference in working the dough but still trying to get larger air pockets. You must tell. : )

I couldn't get the GM to do proper Neapolitan. My Weber on the other hand kicks them out like a boss...

I have a feeling you an I have the same infrared that's kept outside near the grill... I bought a couple of them on Amazon cause they were cheap. I do have a Fluke infrared as well but I also have a couple of the cheaper ones I leave outside so there's one out there if I forget to grab my fluke.

Apologies. I have no idea why Golfwrx rotates all of my photos from my iPhone. Super annoying.

I have been working on my pizza dough, though I'm more into NY style. Your dough looks outstanding with the air pockets. Is that your secret recipe or more being able to get the heat needed? I just switched to Tipo 00 flour and its made a huge difference in working the dough but still trying to get larger air pockets. You must tell. : )

High heat is a must for pizza Napolentana (+900F) but not so much for great NY style (700F-ish). I cold ferment for 3-5 days, usually 60-65% hydration. And yes, 00 Flour is a must for Napolentana, but a half & half mixture of 00 and Bread Flour is better for NY Style. Just my opinion.

The larger airpockets come from proper temps for both the pizza stone and the ceiling plus working the dough very gently to preserve the existing bubbles in the dough. I use the PizzaQue converter for the Webber Kettle (because it's cheap) but theres a lot of different kits available.

I couldn't get the GM to do proper Neapolitan. My Weber on the other hand kicks them out like a boss...

I have a feeling you an I have the same infrared that's kept outside near the grill... I bought a couple of them on Amazon cause they were cheap. I do have a Fluke infrared as well but I also have a couple of the cheaper ones I leave outside so there's one out there if I forget to grab my fluke.

Yeah I just use a cheap Amazon one. I'm sure it's not exact but it's close enough.