2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

If you could get a lesson from any instructor...who?

Jack Nicklaus.

I recall a couple stories from pros who, after having devastatingly poor rounds were pulled aside by Jack and told to meet him at the range, where they apparently received powerful advice.

As he has gotten older, he has become incredibly frank, just cutting through the BS. There are a couple of videos of him as an elderly man explaining the swing, so simply and concisely to children and at clinics. He has seen so much golf. Learned so much about the game. Oh yeah, and as we often forget, he is the undisputed greatest golfer of all time. And he is currently living among us.

He is not a teaching pro though.

So, a big Tiger fan?

Tiger would be awesome as well. He is a golfing genius. He has changed his swing so many times, Im not sure anyone knows as much as him. Although I could imagine Tiger just grinning and saying something flippant. Maybe taking my driver and striping it 320 down the middle and saying "just do that every time and you'll be good"

But if you asked him to hit driver again he'd probably block it 30 yards right.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Jack Nicklaus.

I recall a couple stories from pros who, after having devastatingly poor rounds were pulled aside by Jack and told to meet him at the range, where they apparently received powerful advice.

As he has gotten older, he has become incredibly frank, just cutting through the BS. There are a couple of videos of him as an elderly man explaining the swing, so simply and concisely to children and at clinics. He has seen so much golf. Learned so much about the game. Oh yeah, and as we often forget, he is the undisputed greatest golfer of all time. And he is currently living among us.

He is not a teaching pro though.

So, a big Tiger fan?

Tiger would be awesome as well. He is a golfing genius. He has changed his swing so many times, Im not sure anyone knows as much as him. Although I could imagine Tiger just grinning and saying something flippant. Maybe taking my driver and striping it 320 down the middle and saying "just do that every time and you'll be good"

But if you asked him to hit driver again he'd probably block it 30 yards right.

This is true. I would love for him to overhaul my putting game. I would willingly forget everything I know and bow at that alter of putting greatness.

Post Birdie Dancing Coach: Miguel Angel Jiminez

Nassau Betting Coach: Phil Mickelson

Lifestyle Coach: Dustin Johnson

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

I would only go to 1 person...David Leadbetter....his knowledge of the swing is insurmountable and he has vastly improved some of the greatest players in the last 30 years. IMO the A swing should be the new TGM book.

On a serious note....Monte has been awesome for me and the only person I have worked with that has actually helped me to improve so I don't see a need to work with anyone else. Though I do like a lot of what George Gankas and Dan Carraher have to say and they would be a close tie for 2nd.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

An instructor who can use external focus 'feels' to optimise your swing biomechanics. That means the same instructor must also have a good background in anatomy, kinetics and biomechanics (and is better than most in 'guessing' cause and effect) so that he/she knows where your swing needs optimisation.

So far, Shawn Clements is as close to that set of criteria as anyone else (although unfortunately he may not be an expert in biomechanics, kinetics).

It's "Clement" - he's your guy and great for you, but in 100 posts about him you never seem to know his name.

You set out the absolutes for qualifications but he fails the main one and 2/3, according to you so the question is then why push him at all?

Failing two out of three ain't bad - so he's the Meatloaf of instructors?

Just missing the logic.

Physical Game: Harry Welford "Pete" Snead

Mental Game : Pete Wysocki

RIP Bros?

Of the Gents still here, Jim Waldron or Monte, whichever one could tolerate me?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

Richard

Courtesy of you on this forum Pete Snead is on my all time wish I'd met him golf list - hope things are well!

Hey Bro, I hope that all’s well and you’re having a nice season?

You’d have loved Pete!!

As a Teacher, he wasn’t a methods or systems guy and I swear, he had more drills than anyone that I’ve met in my life. What I mean is that he’d ask Ya to grab a 6i and hit 3-4 balls. Then he’d give ya a drill or two to execute and boom, after a bag or two with the drills, you’d have it worked out. If you wanted to know exactly what you were doing and what his drill did, he’s explain it to ya in basic English, not this quantum physics bullshat that these guys are using today.

Like Sam always chirped: “it ain’t trigonometry boys, it’s basic arithmetic”

I never wanted to get into deep discussions as all I did was, depending on my divot and/or ball flight, I’d go back to the drill(s) that Pete had given me.

I asked Pete who amongst the current crop(this was circa 2000/2001) of Teachers(he refused to call them “coaches” as he would say that “this isn’t football or basketball and I’m not a coach,” lolol) and he said one name, “Butch.”

They spoke a decent amount via phone and when Pete could travel, before his first stroke, he would meet Butch and some guys in Vegas to Play, gamble and tell lies, lol. Butch sent his family a beautiful arrangement for the funeral. It was constructed to look like a huge golf ball with an iron & wood crossing though it. Very cool! All it said was “Fairways & Greens Brother...The Boys”

Anyhoo, the best testimonial that I could give on Pete is from a Bud of mine that I took as my guest to the Annual Inter-Club Dinner the year that we upset Oakmont in the Championship(2 day Ryder Cup Style) and I pulled one outa my arse in beating Duke Delcher on the 24th hole and It was the only time that I ever, in 32+ years, saw Pete show ANY emotion on the course when he followed me in a tourney. After I dropped an 8’ bird putt on the 24th, I took off my glasses and looked right at him, sitting in a cart about 10 yards in front of the green in the fairway. I gave him a thumbs up and he jumped out of the cart and did 3-4 fist pumps???

He was Mr. Stoic to my wearing my emotions on my sleeves, lmao

Well, at the dinner, which Sam came up for as he as the guest speaker, and Duke flew in as did Jay Siegel, who while not Playing this yea, he had Played the year before and drilled me 5&4, lol, everyone was mingling before with drinks and appetizers and then there was an open bar afterward and some of the guys went downstairs to the Men’s Grille to play cards.

So when we were leaving I asked my Bud what he thought of the evening and he replied “it was great and you know, at the start of the evening, everyone was around Sam, and at the end, they all were around Pete. It was like he was holding court,” lolol

Yep, that was Pete....

You might not know him when ya first entered the room, however you would damn sure know him and more importantly remember him when ya left.

You’d have liked him Hawkster?

Stay well my Friend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

RIP Bros

Of the Gents still here, Jim Waldron or Monte, whichever one could tolerate me

Richard

Courtesy of you on this forum Pete Snead is on my all time wish I'd met him golf list - hope things are well!

Hey Bro, I hope that all's well and you're having a nice season

You'd have loved Pete!!

As a Teacher, he wasn't a methods or systems guy and I swear, he had more drills than anyone that I've met in my life. What I mean is that he'd ask Ya to grab a 6i and hit 3-4 balls. Then he'd give ya drill or two to execute and boom, after a bag or two with the drills, you'd have it worked out. If you wanted to know exactly what you were doing and what his drill did, he's explain it to ya in basic English, not this quantum physics bullshat that these guys are using today.

Like Sam always chirped: "it ain't trigonometry boys, it's general mathematics"

I never wanted to get into deep discussions as all I did was, depending on my divot and/or ball flight, I'd go back to the drill(s) that Pete had given me.

I asked Pete who amongst the current crop(this was circa 2000/2001) of Teachers(he refused to call them "coaches" as he would say that "this isn't football or basketball and I'm not a coach," lolol) and he said one name, "Butch."

They spoke a decent amount via phone and when Pete could travel, before his first stroke, he would meet Butch and some guys in Vegas to Play, gamble and tell lies, lol. Butch sent his family a beautiful arrangement for the funeral. It was constructed to look like a huge golf ball with an iron & wood crossing though it. Very cool! All it said was "Fairways & Greens Brother...The Boys"

Anyhoo, the best testimonial that I could give on Pete is from a Bud of mine that I took as my guest to the Annual Inter-Club Dinner the year that we upset Oakmont in the Championship(2 day Ryder Cup Style) and I pulled one outa my arse in beating Duke Delcher on the 24th hole and It was the only time that I ever, in 32+ years, saw Pete show ANY emotion on the course when he followed me in a tourney. After I dropped an 8' bird putt, I took off my glasses and looked right at him, sitting in a cart about 10 yards in front of the green in the fairway. I gave him a thumbs up and he jumped out of the cart and did 3-4 fist pumps

Well, at the dinner, which Sam came up for as he as the guest speaker, and Duke flew in as did Jay Siegel, who while not Playing this yea, he had Played the year before and drilled me 5&4, lol, everyone was mingling before with drinks and appetizers and then there was an open bar afterward and some of the guys went downstairs to the Men's Grille to play cards.

So when we were leaving I asked my Bud what he thought of the evening and he replied "it was great and you know, at the start of the evening, everyone was around Sam, and at the end, they all were around Pete. It was like he was holding court," lolol

Yep, that was Pete....

You might not know him when ya first entered the room, however you would damn sure know him and more importantly remember him when ya left.

You'd have liked him Hawkster

Stay well my Friend

RP

WRX wouldn't be the same without you Richard. Hope you're doing well.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

An instructor who can use external focus 'feels' to optimise your swing biomechanics. That means the same instructor must also have a good background in anatomy, kinetics and biomechanics (and is better than most in 'guessing' cause and effect) so that he/she knows where your swing needs optimisation.

So far, Shawn Clements is as close to that set of criteria as anyone else (although unfortunately he may not be an expert in biomechanics, kinetics).

It's "Clement" - he's your guy and great for you, but in 100 posts about him you never seem to know his name.

You set out the absolutes for qualifications but he fails the main one and 2/3, according to you so the question is then why push him at all?

Failing two out of three ain't bad - so he's the Meatloaf of instructors?

Just missing the logic.

External focus can automatically put you in the correct positions without knowledge of biomechanics and kinetics .

If you can guarantee 100% knowledge of 'cause and effect', then one can use anatomy ,biomechanics and kinetics to help optimise a swing . Shawn knows about anatomy , is an expert on using 'external focus' cues/tools and is an experienced teacher for over 30 years . He has different intuitive ideas about cause and effect just using the motor learning techniques that have been scientifically validated by Dr G Wulf (and others).

I don't know 100% if he has qualifications in biomechanics or kinetics but he is not a fan of using the latter in his instruction (because it becomes preoccupied with internal focus which is proven to be inferior to external focus with regard learning and retention of learning).

I say its unfortunate that he may not be an expert in biomechanics/kinetics (and sometimes anatomy) because some of his videos have 'very infrequently' delved into some of those areas and could be questioned (no-one is perfect). But that is far less important than the ideas/concepts he is trying to communicate to the golfing fraternity which is why, imho, a superior golf instructor.

The fact that you have read 100 posts of mine pleases me , not because you have childishly spotted my calamitous error in the extra 's' to his surname but that you may have learned more about SC's ideas.

I’d get lessons from Joe Mayo, Jeff Mann and RBImGuy.

But if you had to push me on it I’d say Joe Mayo. Mainly because he took up golf about 10 years after me and asked us all for help so would therefore have a fresh perspective and less experience to be polluted by.

But it’s tough, Jeff Mann might keep moving the goalposts in a lesson and that would make it fresh all the time which coupled with an external focus could be the key to unlocking breaking 100.

I'd get lessons from Joe Mayo, Jeff Mann and RBImGuy.

But if you had to push me on it I'd say Joe Mayo. Mainly because he took up golf about 10 years after me and asked us all for help so would therefore have a fresh perspective and less experience to be polluted by.

But it's tough, Jeff Mann might keep moving the goalposts in a lesson and that would make it fresh all the time which coupled with an external focus could be the key to unlocking breaking 100.

If you play your cards right, perhaps you could be selected to be RBImGuy's 2nd student.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

RIP Bros

Of the Gents still here, Jim Waldron or Monte, whichever one could tolerate me

Richard

Hey Bro, I hope that all's well and you're having a nice season

You'd have loved Pete!!

As a Teacher, he wasn't a methods or systems guy and I swear, he had more drills than anyone that I've met in my life. What I mean is that he'd ask Ya to grab a 6i and hit 3-4 balls. Then he'd give ya a drill or two to execute and boom, after a bag or two with the drills, you'd have it worked out. If you wanted to know exactly what you were doing and what his drill did, he's explain it to ya in basic English, not this quantum physics bullshat that these guys are using today.

Like Sam always chirped: "it ain't trigonometry boys, it's basic arithmetic"

I never wanted to get into deep discussions as all I did was, depending on my divot and/or ball flight, I'd go back to the drill(s) that Pete had given me.

I asked Pete who amongst the current crop(this was circa 2000/2001) of Teachers(he refused to call them "coaches" as he would say that "this isn't football or basketball and I'm not a coach," lolol) and he said one name, "Butch."

They spoke a decent amount via phone and when Pete could travel, before his first stroke, he would meet Butch and some guys in Vegas to Play, gamble and tell lies, lol. Butch sent his family a beautiful arrangement for the funeral. It was constructed to look like a huge golf ball with an iron & wood crossing though it. Very cool! All it said was "Fairways & Greens Brother...The Boys"

Anyhoo, the best testimonial that I could give on Pete is from a Bud of mine that I took as my guest to the Annual Inter-Club Dinner the year that we upset Oakmont in the Championship(2 day Ryder Cup Style) and I pulled one outa my arse in beating Duke Delcher on the 24th hole and It was the only time that I ever, in 32+ years, saw Pete show ANY emotion on the course when he followed me in a tourney. After I dropped an 8' bird putt on the 24th, I took off my glasses and looked right at him, sitting in a cart about 10 yards in front of the green in the fairway. I gave him a thumbs up and he jumped out of the cart and did 3-4 fist pumps

Well, at the dinner, which Sam came up for as he as the guest speaker, and Duke flew in as did Jay Siegel, who while not Playing this yea, he had Played the year before and drilled me 5&4, lol, everyone was mingling before with drinks and appetizers and then there was an open bar afterward and some of the guys went downstairs to the Men's Grille to play cards.

So when we were leaving I asked my Bud what he thought of the evening and he replied "it was great and you know, at the start of the evening, everyone was around Sam, and at the end, they all were around Pete. It was like he was holding court," lolol

Yep, that was Pete....

You'd have liked him Hawkster

Stay well my Friend

RP

That's just awesome - you are so lucky to have had that relationship!

But if you had to push me on it I'd say Joe Mayo. Mainly because he took up golf about 10 years after me and asked us all for help so would therefore have a fresh perspective and less experience to be polluted by.

But it's tough, Jeff Mann might keep moving the goalposts in a lesson and that would make it fresh all the time which coupled with an external focus could be the key to unlocking breaking 100.

If you play your cards right, perhaps you could be selected to be RBImGuy's 2nd student.

So glad I've finished my coffee!

????

Thank You, this was beautiful??

I’m with Hawk as this is definitely a “spitter”?

Stay well My Friend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

The guy I already go to...Andrew Rice.

Follow him on Instagram, has good stuff!

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Jim Waldron - I know there is something to that arm swing illusion that I am just not getting. Would love to go to one of his clinics.

Shawn Clement - This would be a whole lot of fun, throwing clubs and all...

Regardless, I would need more than one lesson.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

There’s very few full swing instructors I would pay to spend time with. Dan Carraher would be right at the top of that list.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Butch for me too.

He was doing some commentary work for Sky at last years open where he was asked to demonstrate how to hit a hybrid.

He gave it the full detailed analysis including why most amateurs should have one in the bag as it is so easy to hit. He then proceeded to stone cold top one about 40 yards in the demonstration and without breaking stride said something like "and that's how to top your hybrid"

Incredible swing knowledge and comes across as great company too

Jim Waldron - I know there is something to that arm swing illusion that I am just not getting. Would love to go to one of his clinics.

Shawn Clement - This would be a whole lot of fun, throwing clubs and all...

Regardless, I would need more than one lesson.

Jim Waldron would be my pick as well. I learned more about the golf swing from the ASI thread than in 20 years of reading golf instruction articles, books, internet threads, etc. You stated that "there is something to that arm swing illusion that I am just not getting." Dig into the thread and check out the posts from BallHiss. The post, which is very passionate, is almost a plea to anyone reading it to keep everything moving at the same RPM speed/rate. You won't see the original posts for some reason, but you can reference them in other posts starting on or about page 61. It may your missing piece.

I think Jim is a teaching genius, but that's just me!