2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Titleist's new "AVX" golf balls, with premium urethane covers

Haters will hate. But for someone that doesn’t crush the ball I’m really loving the extra rollout and how straight this ball is with my driver. I’ve been trying many different balls that suit my game since Nike stopped making golf balls, and there’s no doubt that this is the one. AVX for life (I hope).

There’s probably 50 balls at half the price of the AVX that do what you said.

Name a few good ones, and I'll try a couple.

I used to play NXT Tour in the softer conditions of late spring and fall, and Pro V1x when things got firm in July. Now I play one ball: AVX. It goes farther into the wind for me, and seems to putt and pitch just fine.

(Guess I'm a seeker.)

Vice Pro Soft is stupid long and straight ... if you can get over it being a direct to consumer brand .

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haters will hate. But for someone that doesn’t crush the ball I’m really loving the extra rollout and how straight this ball is with my driver. I’ve been trying many different balls that suit my game since Nike stopped making golf balls, and there’s no doubt that this is the one. AVX for life (I hope).

I used to play NXT Tour in the softer conditions of late spring and fall, and Pro V1x when things got firm in July. Now I play one ball: AVX. It goes farther into the wind for me, and seems to putt and pitch just fine.

(Guess I'm a seeker.)

Vice Pro Soft is stupid long and straight ... if you can get over it being a direct to consumer brand .

It’s a good ball but it’s not really as “soft” as you would think from its name.

(Guess I'm a seeker.)

direct to consumer balls are outdated tech built off expired patents according to other major manufacturers

Found a couple AVX balls in the wild recently. I used them several holes, felt pretty decent. Not overly soft, not overly long. Spin was fine, to me it feels and acts alot like a Srixon XV. I dont think it spins as much as a pro-v or a Bridgestone BXS.

Overall, a solid ball but i wouldnt pay the price they are asking with other options out there. I like the BXS, TP5x, Pro-v/x, and ChromeSoft over the AVX.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Kaili White 60X
  • TM SIM Ti 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

Found a couple AVX balls in the wild recently. I used them several holes, felt pretty decent. Not overly soft, not overly long. Spin was fine, to me it feels and acts alot like a Srixon XV. I dont think it spins as much as a pro-v or a Bridgestone BXS.

Overall, a solid ball but i wouldnt pay the price they are asking with other options out there. I like the BXS, TP5x, Pro-v/x, and ChromeSoft over the AVX.

I agree with this, and to my game the BXS is the best of the bunch.

(Guess I'm a seeker.)

direct to consumer balls are outdated tech built off expired patents according to other major manufacturers

Lol of course they are going to say that.

Fact is Kirkland, Snell, Vice all seem to perform on Par with the big names for a mid cap like myself.

Haven’t tried Cut , Encore or MCG4 but also hear very good things as well.

Look I also like Scotch and Tequilla but there are better bang for your buck direct buy offerings than Johnny Walker and Patron. At some point your paying for marketing and brand recognition.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Lol of course they are going to say that.

Fact is Kirkland, Snell, Vice all seem to perform on Par with the big names for a mid cap like myself.

Haven’t tried Cut , Encore or MCG4 but also hear very good things as well.

Look I also like Scotch and Tequilla but there are better bang for your buck direct buy offerings than Johnny Walker and Patron. At some point your paying for marketing and brand recognition.

I play womens golf balls and low compression models like the Wilson line up....but overall my favorite ball is the lethal....big disparity....so for me, DTC balls would be fine, but the major mfg's are not incorrect....its a fact...how they perform? well, that's up for debate I guess....as a mid capper, I cant truly tell the difference as I do not spin it like 99% of the wrx professionals around here....the only real difference to me is in fell of lower/higher compression balls.

I've got 5 rounds in with this ball. Here is my conclusions

Driver 3 wood and hybrid all shorter with the AVX versus my ProV1. Not by a whole lot tho! 5 yards to less on average.

Irons 4-PW 50 54 and 58 all longer with the AVX over the ProV1 on full shots. By 8 yards on average. I am carrying my 58 107 yards with no wind temps in the upper 80s to low 90s. Spinning back about 3 - 5 feet.

Off the putter I really didnt notice any difference. Maybe a little more clicky sounding.

Here is where the ball loses me. No matter what kind of shot I try to hit I cannot get the ball to stop on shot from 10 yards and in. The ball hits and wants to roll out. Back in my stance, forward, and middle. I can get it to hit and check and then it rolls out. My prov1 I can make stop within 6 inches of where I land it. Not with the AVX.

It's a good ball if you are looking for distance off your Irons. Distance is not bad off the woods either. However it definitely seems geared towards distance off the irons. Very durable! Very long! However you will have to sacrafice elsewhere if you choose to play this ball. At this price point I dont feel you should have to sacrafice with a golf ball.

Played one round with the AVX, gamer is the Tour B RX. Off the tee, the AVX did not spin enough for me causing me to hit a few short duck hooks. Liked them off the irons, felt soft and the right amount of spin. Short game spin was lower than V1 or V1x. Shot a decent 41 first 9 out but second 9 the problems off the tee with this ball cost me. Off the tee reminded me of the V1/V1x, can't hit either straight. Sticking w Tour B RX.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Titleist U*505 ('23) 4i

TaylorMade P790 ('23) 5-AW

Taylor Made MG4 56*
Titleist SM8 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

TaylorMade TP5x Pix

Vessel Lite Lux

What does the AVX compete with? Direct competitor?

Chromesoft

Qstar tour?

It was created to be a direct competitor to Chrome Soft

Why do you keep saying that?

Different number of layers, different trajectory, different spin, no mention of Chrome Soft by Titleist...

You really ought to at least make up stuff that’s remotely plausible.

Because the Chrome Soft was made with a softer compression core like the AVX.

Driver 3 wood and hybrid all shorter with the AVX versus my ProV1. Not by a whole lot tho! 5 yards to less on average.

Irons 4-PW 50 54 and 58 all longer with the AVX over the ProV1 on full shots. By 8 yards on average. I am carrying my 58 107 yards with no wind temps in the upper 80s to low 90s. Spinning back about 3 - 5 feet.

Off the putter I really didnt notice any difference. Maybe a little more clicky sounding.

Here is where the ball loses me. No matter what kind of shot I try to hit I cannot get the ball to stop on shot from 10 yards and in. The ball hits and wants to roll out. Back in my stance, forward, and middle. I can get it to hit and check and then it rolls out. My prov1 I can make stop within 6 inches of where I land it. Not with the AVX.

It's a good ball if you are looking for distance off your Irons. Distance is not bad off the woods either. However it definitely seems geared towards distance off the irons. Very durable! Very long! However you will have to sacrafice elsewhere if you choose to play this ball. At this price point I dont feel you should have to sacrafice with a golf ball.

Every players game is different. I played today and use the AVX, I can pitch the AVX from 10 yards and stop it. I actually did it twice today with no roll out.

How old is your wedge? I used a month old Mack Daddy wedge with 54 degrees of loft.

Every players game is different. I played today and use the AVX, I can pitch the AVX from 10 yards and stop it. I actually did it twice today with no roll out.

How old is your wedge? I used a month old Mack Daddy wedge with 54 degrees of loft.

I play the SM7 wedges, 50 54 and 58 with the 58 being my go to club around the green.

My review tho is based on my experiences,

When I test a ball I beat the crap out of it. I go to the course in late afternoons because I know its dead. I can hit multiple shots, and a variety of shots. I use to miss a lot of greens, So I got very good at 10 yards and in. Its still something I work on hard when I go to courses, my back yard, and my basement where we actually have carpet in my house.

My short game including green side bunker game is tight. Im not saying Im pro level. So dont get me wrong. Its very much above average.

The AVX for me does not work around the greens. I have hit a bunch of chips, pitch shots, flops, and bunker shots. The ball for me just wants to roll out. With the Prov1 I can land the ball where I want and it will do what I want unless I hit a bad shot. Thats not the case with the AVX.

Again just my experience with the ball after 5 rounds and lots of testing around the greens. Its a overall good ball, I just cant sacrifice the short game expectations for an extra club off my irons.

I have played Titleist golf balls since the 100 and 90 Professional days. For what’s it worth this an exceptional ball. It’s not a Pro V or a Tour Soft. As compared to a Pro V it has less side spin and is more likely to go straight (very difficult to work the ball without major club face or swing path manipulation). As compared to a Tour Soft it does play different. Off a 8 iron, the carry is about the same (both 1/3 club longer that the Pro V) but the roll out is totally different. The Tour Soft rolls out 3 to 4 yards. The Pro V maybe 1 yard, the AVX rolls out a yard or 2.

AVX

1. Goes straight (difficulty to work the ball)

2. A bit longer than a Pro V

3. A players ball on the greens.

Pro V

1. Workable

2. Great around the greens - very predictable.

Tour Soft.

1. Very durable

2. Great distance

3. Great value for its playability around the greens.

TXG on youtube today release a "X ball" video comparing all the top X balls, Pro V1X, AVX, Chrome Soft X, Srixon Z Star XV etc. it was good comparison video.

I'm trying to add the link but it won't let me...? Anyone else having a problem adding links lately?

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

This opinion is a great take, agree 100%.

AVX a fine ball, my 9 hcp wife's choice. I'm personally bouncing about 4 balls around right now, my game is not up to snuff so ball matters less, just having fun, no competition. Wife competitive as hell, won't even try another ball now.

Titleist is manufacturing the ProV more and more to the profile of the old x, will be eliminating the Pro V1x in the future, retaining the AVX, hopefully dropping the price 20%, I am told from a good source.

As earlier in the thread, I played these pre-release from Titleist, have refined my opinion, roll out better than I first thought.

HIGHLIGHTS MINE

... this an exceptional ball. It’s not a Pro V or a Tour Soft. As compared to a Pro V it has less side spin and is more likely to go straight (very difficult to work the ball without major club face or swing path manipulation). As compared to a Tour Soft it does play different. Off a 8 iron, the carry is about the same (both 1/3 club longer that the Pro V) but the roll out is totally different. The Tour Soft rolls out 3 to 4 yards. The Pro V maybe 1 yard, the AVX rolls out a yard or 2.

AVX

1. Goes straight (difficulty to work the ball)

2. A bit longer than a Pro V

3. A players ball on the greens.

Pro V

1. Workable

2. Great around the greens - very predictable.

Tour Soft.

1. Very durable

2. Great distance

3. Great value for its playability around the greens.

Tried them. Didn’t like them. Don’t see point of them.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

AVX was a total game changer for me. I'm a high spin player with a negative AoA with the driver. The AVX flew flatter and predictably compared to proV & TP5X. Gained 10yds immediately. I haven't had that from an equipment change in 10 years.

After playing for 10 rounds I can safely say this is the ball for me. It feels very similar to the Lethal which I absolutely loved.

MyStealth 9* Diamana GT 60TX
Paradym TD 15* GD ADCQ 80x
Apex Black 21* MRC MMT 105TX

Geom Moe CB 5-9 DG X100

TM MG Raw 46/50 TW 56/60 DG X100

Original 2-Ball 
ProV1x-

AVX was a total game changer for me. I'm a high spin player with a negative AoA with the driver. The AVX flew flatter and predictably compared to proV & TP5X. Gained 10yds immediately. I haven't had that from an equipment change in 10 years.

After playing for 10 rounds I can safely say this is the ball for me. It feels very similar to the Lethal which I absolutely loved.

I always felt I was giving up a bit of height and distance on irons shots with the Lethal. But yeah, it was great for those AVX-style low bullets off the driver.

I always felt I was giving up a bit of height and distance on irons shots with the Lethal. But yeah, it was great for those AVX-style low bullets off the driver.

Even the low, side-spinny bullets work out. Usually they don't spin into oblivion and can be playable. Now they will run more, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Even the low, side-spinny bullets work out. Usually they don't spin into oblivion and can be playable. Now they will run more, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

This weekend I played a couple solo rounds (ie on-course practice) with some used ProV1x leftover from before my switch to AVX last October. There is one of my more common misses with irons that seem to work out worse with AVX.

I’ve always addressed iron shots with s slightly closed clubface. On average that seems to work out for the best chance of a straight shot. But if I do fully release through impact and get plenty of bottom hand power into a short iron shot the ball will turn over with a high 5-10 yard draw that goes about a half Club longer than normal.

With the AVX that shot has the annoying tendency to not only draw and get several yards extra carry but also take a big bounce forward when it lands. The old “can’t talk to a hook” aphorism I guess. I hit several of those this weekend and they still carry too far with a ProV1x but my goodness do they dig in and stop when they land. One 8-iron landed on the back side of a ridge but even on the downslope stopped a couple inches from the ball mark.

So now I can say I’ve finally found a downside to AVX. It won’t check up quickly on a hooked 8 or 9 iron. Tragic!

Tried them on a calm day and could not get them to carry. Low bullets, but lost distance over my standby ProV1X. Not sure what Titleist was going for here.

Sounds like you're a "low spin" player, in which case AVX definitely is not the right ball for you.

Near as I can tell, Titleist has created three balls to give more ball fitting options, based upon a player's "spinny-ness" - - - -

"High Spin" players might find the AVX fits them the best, though they could notice some difficulty spinning the ball enough for their short game.

The newest V1 gives more spin than the AVX, less than the V1x; that's a good "medium" flavor, good place to start.

V1x is for the people who like the firmer feel or want more spin.

More options gives people a better chance of fine tuning their golf ball to their game. The market will decide whether the advantages of the golf ball are significant enough to create a demand for what it has to offer.