Vintage Golf Shoes, (screw-in spikes)

Just as the Hickory Brigade dress up for their thing, I also wear period gear for P&Bs.

Thought I would post some photos of '60s shoes + the Dexters, which are probably 80s or even 90s, but they are spiked so they count.

Left to right:

Saxone Gleneagles model, made in Scotland, Italian owned business. The best detailed and best made shoes I've owned, also the most comfortable and the best support. Drawback....13 metal spikes per shoe, and these are big Champ spikes. You are well nailed down in a Scottish gale.

Black Patent leather Barretts Como model. English Northampton made Comfy boats, great quality, not so much support as the Saxones.

Dexters, USA. Very Bling. Quality OK , not as substantial as the UK shoes although the stitching is better than some leather shoes I've seen from Thailand.

Note that I have swapped out the metal spikes with soft screw-ins.

I'm sure someone will show the ubiquitous Footjoy Classics, but has anyone got anything a bit rarer. Let's see them.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have a pair or two of the metal spiked golf shoes in storage, can;t throw them away since these were seldom worn.

Missing the sound of the metal clicks on the walk way, don;t miss the harsh feel walking with metal spiked golf shoes on hard surface.

Remembering the hallway and the bathroom at the club house had the rubber mat running the length to save the wooden / carpeted flooring......shoe polishing service at the entrance to the club house and the shower......

I miss the period, not so much for the metal spikes.

US Keds…

ZCGhueo.jpg

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Just as the Hickory Brigade dress up for their thing, I also wear period gear for P&Bs.

Thought I would post some photos of '60s shoes + the Dexters, which are probably 80s or even 90s, but they are spiked so they count.

Left to right:

Saxone Gleneagles model, made in Scotland, Italian owned business. The best detailed and best made shoes I've owned, also the most comfortable and the best support. Drawback....13 metal spikes per shoe, and these are big Champ spikes. You are well nailed down in a Scottish gale.

Black Patent leather Barretts Como model. English Northampton made Comfy boats, great quality, not so much support as the Saxones.

Dexters, USA. Very Bling. Quality OK , not as substantial as the UK shoes although the stitching is better than some leather shoes I've seen from Thailand.

Note that I have swapped out the metal spikes with soft screw-ins.

I'm sure someone will show the ubiquitous Footjoy Classics, but has anyone got anything a bit rarer. Let's see them.

Dexters, all I wore back in the day. 1st pair was Red/White/Blue uppers so shiny you could use these as a mirror when shaving, and those leather soles with Goodyear weld stitching. Tough to break in, tough to wear out.

Thanks for the memories.

Burgundy Dexters...Tom Watson!

I had a pair as well as FJ Classics (3 pairs still in stock!).

Proper shoes and proper spikes,despite all the moans about 'spike marks' I'm damn sure that greens were never scuffed up in the way they are now with soft spikes not to mention the number of people I've seen slip and fall because soft spikes clog and don't grip in wet weather.

Another con job by manufacturers to wean us on to what they wanted us to buy.

On the soft spikes and marks on the green. Following on the coattail of Chis once again.

Played in wet conditions last Thursday. Got in nine before the daily Charleston monsoon came in. Any condition on the greens other than extremely firm leave marks akin to chicken scratch on the greens, especially around the cup. Soft spikes...humbug I say...

On the soft spikes and marks on the green. Following on the coattail of Chis once again.

Played in wet conditions last Thursday. Got in nine before the daily Charleston monsoon came in. Any condition on the greens other than extremely firm leave marks akin to chicken scratch on the greens, especially around the cup. Soft spikes...humbug I say...

+1 got it right on both the spike marks or gouges and on the Monsoon too. Did manage to hit about 100 balls dialing those Mizuno 68s and wedges in before it hit yesterday. When it quit man oh man was it humid here.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Stix-- Brings back a lot of memories--- Those flaps or Kiltie things I never could stand them used to cut them off with a brand new Pal single edge razor blade.

The Dexter shoes were a lower priced alternative to FJ back in the day--- My old man would never sell that line he was all FJ----- For him it was either FJ or he was fond of taking like a pair of his older street Florshiem or Johnson Murphy shoes and having the shoe shop up the street recap them so to speak with golf spike soles. He was also fond of ordering plain white FJ Classics and having his sign painter friend up the street paint them to match his outfits. There was a course over in Cramerton NC about 30 miles away that had some kind of smoking hot deal with Dexter direct and had some great deals on shoes. You would have to know him as in it was his way or the highway. He would tell people I do not care if you buy those cheap shoes don't cry to me when your feet hurt. Never saw any problems though with Dexter shoes myself. He was also friends with a man named B B Walker who owned a quality shoe factory in Asheboro NC. He tried to get Mr Walker to expand to the golf shoe industry and get himself an exclusive distributorship for the Carolinas. That was in the making when Mr Walker died suddenly. I guess in a twist of fate i maybe would have been in the golf shoe business (shrug). LOL I remember a few years back I found a pair of NOS Dexters in a flea market black and white sharp new in the box. I think I gave $10 for them and of course had to change the spikes out. My old man was long dead and gone then. Was in Hickory NC playing in a NGA event and one of his old cronies wandered up who was still a sharp guy. He remarked "Your Old Man would have rolled in his grave if he saw you wearing those Dexters" I remarked back "he would have rolled over again if he knew how little I had in them". Wore those things for years I guess when the stitching rotted they may have been 25 years old total

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

The whole spike thing still twerks me off! As Chris said it's simply more marketing B.S. A good pair of golf shoes would last you at least 10 to 15 years with no spike change needed. Now the spikes need to be changed yearly or more and you pay $100 or more for a pair of shoes you're lucky to get 3 years out of. What A Racket!

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Stix-- Brings back a lot of memories--- Those flaps or Kiltie things I never could stand them used to cut them off with a brand new Pal single edge razor blade.

The Dexter shoes were a lower priced alternative to FJ back in the day--- My old man would never sell that line he was all FJ----- For him it was either FJ or he was fond of taking like a pair of his older street Florshiem or Johnson Murphy shoes and having the shoe shop up the street recap them so to speak with golf spike soles. He was also fond of ordering plain white FJ Classics and having his sign painter friend up the street paint them to match his outfits. There was a course over in Cramerton NC about 30 miles away that had some kind of smoking hot deal with Dexter direct and had some great deals on shoes. You would have to know him as in it was his way or the highway. He would tell people I do not care if you buy those cheap shoes don't cry to me when your feet hurt. Never saw any problems though with Dexter shoes myself. He was also friends with a man named B B Walker who owned a quality shoe factory in Asheboro NC. He tried to get Mr Walker to expand to the golf shoe industry and get himself an exclusive distributorship for the Carolinas. That was in the making when Mr Walker died suddenly. I guess in a twist of fate i maybe would have been in the golf shoe business (shrug). LOL I remember a few years back I found a pair of NOS Dexters in a flea market black and white sharp new in the box. I think I gave $10 for them and of course had to change the spikes out. My old man was long dead and gone then. Was in Hickory NC playing in a NGA event and one of his old cronies wandered up who was still a sharp guy. He remarked "Your Old Man would have rolled in his grave if he saw you wearing those Dexters" I remarked back "he would have rolled over again if he knew how little I had in them". Wore those things for years I guess when the stitching rotted they may have been 25 years old total

LMAO!

A Big Stu classic!

• 3 weeks later...

The whole spike thing still twerks me off! As Chris said it's simply more marketing B.S. A good pair of golf shoes would last you at least 10 to 15 years with no spike change needed. Now the spikes need to be changed yearly or more and you pay $100 or more for a pair of shoes you're lucky to get 3 years out of. What A Racket!

Where in the world could you play and get a long time with the steel spikes? They wore down to little steel nubs quite quickly.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Where in the world could you play and get a long time with the steel spikes? They wore down to little steel nubs quite quickly.

Avoid areas of paving or similar solid material,I would always walk on the grass bordering cart paths or footpaths not only to save wear on the spikes but for comfort and safety.

By the end of the steel spike era, many of the higher end shoes had ceramic tipped steel spikes. I had a pair of Dry Joys back then that showed zero spike wear after a couple of years. Sure cant say the same for the Soft Spikes that were forced upon us.

Callaway RazrFit 10.5*  Matrix Radix HD 6S

Ping G5 13.5* 2d Driver   Aerotech Power Coil 50S

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

By simply putting my shoes on and off while on the course, instead of in the parking lot, I never had a set of metal spikes that didn't outlast the shoes.

For the last couple of years I have gone spikeless with Ecco and a couple of pairs of FJ and have just bought a pair of Callaway Chev vent shoes to give my poor old plates of meat a breather during the warm weather.

But here's the thing.

Why are we paying a premium price because it says 'golf' on the box?

Whilst looking for the best priced Callaways I've seen tons of colourful and reasonably attractive outdoor shoes with grippy soles generally costing HALF THE PRICE because they are simple walking shoes.

I defy any golf employed technician to convince me that they will not perform as well as a trainer type golf shoe,the stresses and torque applied to walking shoes may be greater than those suffered by golf shoes,so I have decided that this coming winter I'm buying some nice Karrimor walkers and wearing them for golf.

Trend setter or what? LOL

+1 to this. I agree and have thought the same thing many times. However....

I notice that my FJ Contour shoes have lasted a good long while with only two spike changes and grip very well as compared to my hikers. I have a pair of Sketchers that did not last one full season last year. As far as I am concerned, the FJs at $59 were well worth it.

Nothing last as long as it used to be !

That including everything in life. A pair of leather golf shoes will last years and years in the past as long as it's taken care of. A pair of leather golf shoes will last maybe a season or two now.

Since we're in a society which is used to dispose everything instead of repair and reuse....... I believe the manufacturer had changed the material used to make everything including the golf shoes. I was even told by an automobile service manager that the new tires on the hybrid car won't last as long and be careful not to bump into the curb while parking because it'll burst from friction.

What ?

And that goes for the new golf clubs also, I'd bet nothing will last decades like the classic golf clubs they used to make.

He went on to say that even the seats and the dashboard in the new age automobiles won't last long because they were made to decompose faster. Why couldn't we fix and keep things like my father's time ? Instead of planning to dump it in the junk yard in a few years ?

Greed.................

By the end of the steel spike era, many of the higher end shoes had ceramic tipped steel spikes. I had a pair of Dry Joys back then that showed zero spike wear after a couple of years. Sure cant say the same for the Soft Spikes that were forced upon us.

What I remember was spikes that had tungsten "pegs" inserted into the metal. Those were what I saw tearing up the greens.

At least when the full metal spikes wore down, they wore uniformly. With the tungsten inserts, a burr was created around the tungsten, and that is what I saw really causing havoc with the greens, as now that burr lifted up tufts of grass on the greens. BTW, I was raised in the north, and we had bent grass greens, so there was always grain running towards water runoff pretty prevalently, so those tufts always seemed bigger where the grain was stronger.

As for wearing out the old shoes...I had about 6 pair of FJ (what are now called "Classics") - and because we played every day, all day, regularly changing shoes, never wearing 2 days in a row, and always putting shoe trees back into the shoes when done wearing them...most of my shoes lasted well over 30 years. I finally got rid of them all (much to my chagrin) after severly breaking my left ankle, and couldn't fit back into the shoes quite right. By then, you couldn't get spiked FJ's anymore.

But did find a great pair of spiked leather shoes from England on the 'bay about 15 years back - black and white saddle - which I had to change out the spikes. Stu - I kept the kilties on 'em, so I will wear them when we do our balata ball thing - let you and Randy see proper golf shoes attire!

Still go with spikes or at least cleats when wet. Spikeless ok in the dry but not a lot of traction if it is any more than heavy dew.

True but my change to spikeless has also been prompted by my programme,we play a clutch or roll-up on Monday (seniors) and Wednesday (open),I leave home at about 9.00am and cycle to the station to catch the 9.13 which involves walking through the station foyer then crossing a bridge with my bike to the 'up' platform.

Train arrives in Filey at approx 9.35 and I cycle to the golf club,the draw for teams is done at 9.45,first tee time is 10.00 so time is short and it's a great help not having to faff around changing shoes,I have also added elastic laces as used in running shoes for added comfort and ease of taking off.

The grip issue is non-existent.

My swing is so well balanced,fluid and graceful that there's never any danger of slipping.

Ninja golf training.

Six hours a day making full swings wearing roller skates on a marble tabletop.....

Have I qualified as a Golfwrx journalist?

My swing is so well balanced,fluid and graceful that there's never any danger of slipping.

Ninja golf training.

Six hours a day making full swings wearing roller skates on a marble tabletop.....

Have I qualified as a Golfwrx journalist?

You are now ready to post on the 'Dark Side' of GolfWRX Grasshopper. LOL!

:swoon2:

• 2 months later...

No spike change needed for 10-15 years? I learned to play golf in metal spikes and remember changing them every 6-12 months.

Now I will admit the modern shoe is pretty much disposable after a season or two. But then almost all shoes are these days unless you buy real high end bespoke stuff.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

On a side note, I've been wearing a pair of Etonic Stablelites this summer. They have soft spikes with a metal screw in. The two spikes across the bottom of the foot below the toes have made that area of my feet callous and painful. I've taken out the offending spikes, and gotten some relief.

I don't think the lite variety of golf shoes are made for spikes or walking. Have worn Nike lite shoes previously, and found them uncomfortable after a bit of wear, in addition to not being waterproof.

Golf is not a walking sport anymore.