2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Well I pulled the trigger so now there will be a lot of deals popping up on eBay and BST. I played around with some different custom options like the black S300 with the Chrome head but there was an upcharge for that shaft. Probably wouldn’t have did it anyway. I did go with black/orange grip that comes on the black ones instead of the gray.

Technology is good, and it is also bad. Manufacturers don't know when to stop. I hit the 790s and the new i500s, and these clubs are inconsistent. The flyers I was getting instills no confidence. Funny thing is this.. they make decent CBs, some forged, and they are decent. Why make these shovels that they try to look like blades.

Lol, because some people like me wants a club exactly like this. I don’t know why the whine if you know you can handle a P770, or i200 you go and buy that. And I have blades and CB sets that I play very good too, but I prefer this.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

I spent an extended period today hitting the P790’s and i500’s at a PGATSS.

I was more impressed by the i500’s than the P790’s.

Looks, feel, offset, bounce, finish, and performance were better with the Ping. Distance about the same.

To each his own, I guess.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Technology is good, and it is also bad. Manufacturers don't know when to stop. I hit the 790s and the new i500s, and these clubs are inconsistent. The flyers I was getting instills no confidence. Funny thing is this.. they make decent CBs, some forged, and they are decent. Why make these shovels that they try to look like blades.

Lol, because some people like me wants a club exactly like this. I don’t know why the whine if you know you can handle a P770, or i200 you go and buy that. And I have blades and CB sets that I play very good too, but I prefer this.

... Pretty amazing that Taylor Made came out with an iron after zero R&D other than distance, Distance and more DISTANCE. Evidently they are inconsistent with fliers and lord knows what other problems. I am just happy I got a defective set of P790's that are very consistent and haven't produced any fliers, other than from light rough just like every other club I have hit. I really dodged a bullet with my set.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Looks, feel, offset, bounce, finish, and performance were better with the Ping. Distance about the same.

I looked at them today as well at my local golf shop. I didn’t hit them but they looked nice. I hit the P790 last week and went to buy them but they sold the set with the AW so I ordered straight from TM

Reading these last 3 pages, Starting to get a bit nervous. Picking up my new black 790s w/ S Taper black shafts tomorrow. I currently game Miz MP18 mbs modus 120 1degree strong. Love my mp18s and playing great golf but was lured by the power of the dark side. Heck Ive never even owned a TM product! I used to hate the brand but do like the recent woods and entire P series iron lineup. Im not getting rid of my Mp18s but starting to worry bout the 790 fliers.

Black irons wear so not too worried bout that.

Anyone out there move from a players iron/blade to 790 and enjoying the easy extra distance and ease of use?

Thx.

Ps. I did pick up a Hi Toe 60 TM and early returns are favorable

I switched over from AP2s and will say that after reading the last few pages, I don't recall ever getting 'fliers' with my p790s yet. Have I had a few par 3s or approach shots that have gone long and leave me a scratching my head? Yes, absolutely but i had that with my AP2s (short shots as well) and I can tell you it's because I'm not a low handicap (currently around 12) and do not have a consistent enough swing to throw darts with any set of clubs.

These people acting like the 'fliers' are keeping them up at night must as be scratch golfers because none of them are hitting fliers at the range....

I realize that I think I'm on the same page with most of you here that these are tremendous irons. The point that the flyer folks SHOULD be making is that if you're a low spin player (like I can get down to low 4's with a 7 iron), there have been plenty of times where I have hit these on GC2 and they've spun in the 3000's and gone much further than others that I've gotten down on better and spun in the high 4's, low 5's. As it is I am happy spinning my 765's in the low 5's. For those players of which I am one, the 790 isn't as helpful in generating spin as others might be. If I played them I'd have to bend them 2 weak to try and help. And they'd probably be fantastic.

The club doesn't produce flyers all over the place, but it isn't as helpful to low spin players on low spin contact as others would be, and that can give you distance inconsistency. I'd be shocked if a player who spun a 7 iron above 6000 is anything other than in love with these (properly paired with shaft of course).

I realize that I think I'm on the same page with most of you here that these are tremendous irons. The point that the flyer folks SHOULD be making is that if you're a low spin player (like I can get down to low 4's with a 7 iron), there have been plenty of times where I have hit these on GC2 and they've spun in the 3000's and gone much further than others that I've gotten down on better and spun in the high 4's, low 5's. As it is I am happy spinning my 765's in the low 5's. For those players of which I am one, the 790 isn't as helpful in generating spin as others might be. If I played them I'd have to bend them 2 weak to try and help. And they'd probably be fantastic.

The club doesn't produce flyers all over the place, but it isn't as helpful to low spin players on low spin contact as others would be, and that can give you distance inconsistency. I'd be shocked if a player who spun a 7 iron above 6000 is anything other than in love with these (properly paired with shaft of course).

The ball used could be a factor. The shaft as well.

Ive never had any of he yet issues but I have an idea as to why some may be experiencing them.

If you hit it dead center the ball is going to go farther than you think and come out super hot. Now if you find the center all the time it’s going to go that same hot distance.

If you mishit the club it’s going to go surprisingly farther than you thought that mishit would go. I experienced his in a tourney. Mishit a PW and made the birdie putt :)

If you hit it all over the face, including the center, you may have some real distance inconsistencies. They could be anywhere from 20-25 yards.

Another part is that if you actually flight clubs (on purpose) you may need an adjustment period. Adding spin and lowering ball flight may yield strange results if you haven’t practiced. For example I played in a tourney and flighted down a 160 yard shot with the 170 yard iron. I caught it pretty good and I knew it was going 170 yards not the low 160 I preferred. I wasn’t swinging particularly well so went up.

Short story. The clubs def need to be played and adjusted to. The more I play the more automatic I am with them. I still think these are the most technologically advanced irons yet to date. I haven’t wanted to hit irons this much in a long time

This thread is goofy, last 30 pages on whether or not these produce "fliers".

If they work for you that is great, if not get something else.

I did not care for the feel, or the look of the short irons, but TM has obviously done something right here.

It's funny when others are trying o be nice without actually saying "do you hit it pure"

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

The ball used could be a factor. The shaft as well.

Mine as well throw the strike and swing in there too :)

This thread is goofy, last 30 pages on whether or not these produce "fliers".

If they work for you that is great, if not get something else.

I did not care for the feel, or the look of the short irons, but TM has obviously done something right here.

It's funny when others are trying o be nice without actually saying "do you hit it pure"

... Here is the thing and the thing is this (please excuse my Mamet) we are on a golf forum talking about golf equipment. I have been going to the PGA Show and writing reviews of clubs for over 15 years. I hit everything on Demo Day, MB's and GI irons included, although because of time constraints I rarely hit SGI's. Every year I find some equipment I think is superior in design and performance but rarely are they break thru products like the RBZ fairway woods with slot technology that changed the game. With due respect to PXG that are priced out of range for many golfers, the P790's are such a product. They are game changers for many, many players of different abilities. I think anyone that is in the market for a forgiving players iron should absolutely demo them. And if you are also looking for a little more distance, that is even more reason to demo them, especially older players like myself that at age 65 have lost a little distance. I am guessing I have owned and played over 100 sets of irons in my lifetime, many sent to me by OEM's for review and I have posted several official WRX reviews over the years. In my opinion, the P790's are the most exciting new irons I have ever played and that is why I have posted so many times in this thread. I just think they are absolutely must demo clubs ... IF you are in the market for what they provide.

... Obviously someone happy with their MB's that are excellent ball strikers are not a target audience for these irons. Same for Forged Players CB's if someone is happy with their performance. But someone playing anything from AP2's to Ping G400's should at least hit these ... IF they are looking at new irons and especially in the market for a forgiving players distance iron. Many are not, but come on threads like these with negative comments even though they have never played them. Of course it is OK for some to come on here that played them and found they were inconsistent or produced what they think are fliers as that is their personal experience because isn't that why we are all here, to share our experience and listen to others? There is no iron that works for everyone and P790's are certainly no different. Like you, on looks alone another player may have zero interest in them. And someone already hitting their MB/CB pw 140+ yds will probably find the P790's too long, especially the mid/long irons creating gapping problems. But again, IF you are in the market for a players iron with an added distance bonus, I think the P790's should be at the top of your demo list.

This is what makes the world what it is...individuals are different. People get emotional about these things (not speaking to or about you Sir...only a generality your post brought to my mind) thinking they are right and others wrong because they hit them and know what the results were. I guess that might be true if we all had the same mechanics, the same exact make up physically and psychologically but of course we don't. I think we come here to express our findings but are obviously interested in what others think or we wouldn't read post. Then if we read that someone did not come to our conclusion it is on LOL

FWIW, 100% the opposite findings for me. The i500 had horrible feel and terrible sound when I hit it :-)

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

As a single digit player, iron play is not usually a weak point. On course, I usually hit an AP2 7 iron 170 carry. The P790s carried 170-195 with same impact location hitting approach shots and tee shots on a par 3. I thought it was just me, so paid for a Trackan session. It 100% confirmed that I was hitting center face with same swing speed and had 20 yard differences in the same iron. My set will be listed on BST tonight. 4-AW Project X 6.5. They will be the most consistent or most inconsistent based on what you read here. I’ll play my old Scratch blades and know exactly how far they will go for me.

As a single digit player, iron play is not usually a weak point. On course, I usually hit an AP2 7 iron 170 carry. The P790s carried 170-195 with same impact location hitting approach shots and tee shots on a par 3. I thought it was just me, so paid for a Trackan session. It 100% confirmed that I was hitting center face with same swing speed and had 20 yard differences in the same iron. My set will be listed on BST tonight. 4-AW Project X 6.5. They will be the most consistent or most inconsistent based on what you read here. I'll play my old Scratch blades and know exactly how far they will go for me.

Exactly. I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen.

So everyone is telling me that they’ve never hit a club “FLUSHED” and it flew 10yds+ further than what they expected??? Cmon guys, every set I’ve ever played I’ll get the occasional “I nutted that one” and it just flies. I don’t think the 790s are any different. IMO - If we were all pros here I could put some belief in these hot spots but I just truly believe these are already hot clubs and when you nut one, it goes, just like any other set. Just my $.02

Outside of a flier lie in the rough that I clearly realize. I haven’t hit one pure shot with my srixon that jumped on me. Your two cents are incorrect

As a single digit player, iron play is not usually a weak point. On course, I usually hit an AP2 7 iron 170 carry. The P790s carried 170-195 with same impact location hitting approach shots and tee shots on a par 3. I thought it was just me, so paid for a Trackan session. It 100% confirmed that I was hitting center face with same swing speed and had 20 yard differences in the same iron. My set will be listed on BST tonight. 4-AW Project X 6.5. They will be the most consistent or most inconsistent based on what you read here. I'll play my old Scratch blades and know exactly how far they will go for me.

Exactly. I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen.

I really wanted to like them. I love the look and how they set up. I don’t mind that they are strong lofted. I play TM woods so I’m not hating on them, but they just don’t work for me sadly.

Well I pulled the trigger so now there will be a lot of deals popping up on eBay and BST. I played around with some different custom options like the black S300 with the Chrome head but there was an upcharge for that shaft. Probably wouldn’t have did it anyway. I did go with black/orange grip that comes on the black ones instead of the gray.

"I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen."

... I guess at a +1.5 index I am not a good player. Of course I actually play them as opposed to talking about them with a guy in a golf shop, so what do I know? Clearly the 67 I shot a few days ago with UNPLAYABLE irons was due to excellent driving, wedge play and putting. :dntknw:

"I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen."

... I guess at a +1.5 index I am not a good player. Of course I actually play them as opposed to talking about them with a guy in a golf shop, so what do I know? Clearly the 67 I shot a few days ago with UNPLAYABLE irons was due to excellent driving, wedge play and putting. :dntknw:

That's your experience - fine, no big deal. You are the exception, not the norm. Lets see how long they last in your bag. And, how would you know if I've played them or not? Yeah, you don't! Lastly, the fitter is one of the best around here and spends way more hours on this stuff than you ever even thought about.

... I am assuming if you played them you would have said so. I picked them up last fall and I I have over 200 rounds in with them and they are in my bag to stay or until TM releases a new version or someone else produces a version I like better. In fact when I was in Phoenix I took my Forged Tours with me and one day I played them instead of the 790's. I loved the Forged Tours and they were my 3rd version having played Amp Forged, Fly Z+ and then the Forged Tours. After 9 holes I took the cart to my car and put my 790's back in the bag for the back 9. And as I have stated ad nauseam in this thread, they are not for everyone. But I take seriously comments from people that have actually played them like Cardia 10 and found they did not work for him, especially since he really wanted to like them. But I pay no attention to people that think this is a reality show repeating "I heard someone say ..." UNPLAYABLE is perhaps the most ignorant comment I have ever heard on WRX.

... I am assuming if you played them you would have said so. I picked them up last fall and I I have over 200 rounds in with them and they are in my bag to stay or until TM releases a new version or someone else produces a version I like better. In fact when I was in Phoenix I took my Forged Tours with me and one day I played them instead of the 790's. I loved the Forged Tours and they were my 3rd version having played Amp Forged, Fly Z+ and then the Forged Tours. After 9 holes I took the cart to my car and put my 790's back in the bag for the back 9. And as I have stated ad nauseam in this thread, they are not for everyone. But I take seriously comments from people that have actually played them like Cardia 10 and found they did not work for him, especially since he really wanted to like them. But I pay no attention to people that think this is a reality show repeating "I heard someone say ..." UNPLAYABLE is perhaps the most ignorant comment I have ever heard on WRX.

Dude, whats your deal with these irons and this massive thread you've been obsessively posting on? Did they give you something to spend countless hours defending them? You're the one that everyone should be weary of and not listen to whatsoever because its clear you have an agenda versus everyone that is just sharing their true experience. Oh, and how much dough have you put in the bank with that +1.5 handicap? Yeah, zero! You're just another amateur, dude - a dime a dozen, and theres a world of difference between a real pro and you or me. Yeah, Ive shot many rounds under par since being a top level junior AM - SO WHAT, its made me no dough except bets with buddies. Ive played these irons and the distance control was crap, just like the fitter said. Oh, and he's forgotten more about this stuff than you'll ever know so who's IGNORANT??? I guess the guy thats spent countless hours defending some irons on a golf forum that just doesn't match up to most folks actual experience. How much have made from your investment, here???

It’s a thread about P790’s that he owns and plays well. Why wouldn’t he? He hasn’t said a person didn’t experience what they claim his argument was just he hadn’t. Actually a lot of people claim to have zero issues. Some think because they’ve had issues it’s a predetermined issue everyone will have with them.

Yikes!! Getting into TM irons for the first time is incredible. The TM thread battles are more intense than the fear of fliers. Im thinking match play with SMU vs Chisag would be a good intro match for Tiger vs Phil

thanks for all the comments Gents. Both sides. TM passion for/against is entertaining. Im more excited to try these irons now from the last few pages than I was when I asked my original question about Fliers.

Cheers. I will report back this week with first impressions.

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos Blue S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S
Titleist T100S w DG 105 4-PW

Miura K2.0 54, 60. SM9 black 50
Odyssey 7 ch 

Yikes!! Getting into TM irons for the first time is incredible. The TM thread battles are more intense than the fear of fliers. Im thinking match play with SMU vs Chisag would be a good intro match for Tiger vs Phil

thanks for all the comments Gents. Both sides. TM passion for/against is entertaining. Im more excited to try these irons now from the last few pages than I was when I asked my original question about Fliers.

I’ll add I use to hate TM and have never owned any TM irons. I had an old TM bubble shafted 3 wood years ago that I loved. In recent times I went to a ‘16 M2 driver that I still game and haven’t found anything to knock it out the bag. From there I went to a Spider OS putter. I recently decided to shake things up and went and hit some irons with the mindset to get something (brand wise) I had never played before. I hit the Ping i500, G400, and P790’s. I hit them all well so I then based my decision on cost, looks, and turnaround time. I’ll be honest that the looks of the 790s weighed pretty heavily as well. After looking on BST, eBay, and locally to see what was out there I finally just went and ordered straight from TM. For reference I’m a 4 HC. I’ve broken par maybe a handful of times on less than pga tour caliber courses but shoot consistently in the mid-high 70s on some respectable tracks. I’ll occasionally get in a funk and shoot in the low-mid 80s but I’ll attribute that to lack of practice time.

... LOL, great post. I am not a TM guy and have no allegiance with anyone. I am not any OEM kinda guy. I just love golf equipment and write reviews. I go to the PGA Show every year on my own dime and enjoy talking to VP's of Engineering and R&D as well as the Marketing guys. I can't remember any irons I thought were as special as the P790's for players looking for forgiveness, playability and a little extra distance. Fwiw, I hit my 7 iron 170 + or - a couple yards and never hit one longer if unaided by wind or grass behind the ball. On the other hand, my son is a 27 yr old ex college DE that has a nice swing and carries his driver 280+. I have seen him hit his 60* Scratch Wedge 110yds and seen him completely fly greens when the pin was 120yds. I have little doubt he could hit my P790 7 iron 185 or 205. He has power to spare. I do not. Looking forward to hearing how you like 'em.

That's your experience - fine, no big deal. You are the exception, not the norm. Lets see how long they last in your bag. And, how would you know if I've played them or not? Yeah, you don't! Lastly, the fitter is one of the best around here and spends way more hours on this stuff than you ever even thought about.

Shot 69 with them the other day... guess I'm the exception, too. Seems like some have taken the positive comments on these irons personally..