Gas Grill vs. Charcoal vs. Pellet

sTmGolfer

Currently rick an old Kenmore 4 burner propane grill with side burner that is a workhorse at 10+ years old, a smoker I made myself out of terra cotta pots while I learned the art of smoking, and the real MVP is my kingsford charcoal water bullet smoker that I modified and is a beast (got it on clearance a few years back for $20). It’s feed some block parties with some good pulled pork, brisket and chicken.

Modern bag:
Nike vr str8 fit tour set at 11
Ping rapture v2 4 wood
Nike vr_s 3 and 4 hybrids
Maltby mmb 5-pw
Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
Rotating door of putters

Sunday/quick nine walker:
Callaway warbird deuce 2 wd
Callaway warbird 4 wd
Hogan apex pro 4-E
Ping eye 2 W and S
Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
Palmer Chattanooga driver
Hogan Slotline 4 wd
Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
Same ping eye 2 sw
Wilson professional 600 putter

Apologies. I have no idea why Golfwrx rotates all of my photos from my iPhone. Super annoying.

I have been working on my pizza dough, though I'm more into NY style. Your dough looks outstanding with the air pockets. Is that your secret recipe or more being able to get the heat needed? I just switched to Tipo 00 flour and its made a huge difference in working the dough but still trying to get larger air pockets. You must tell. : )

This is so interesting how people have different tastes. I would be so bummed out if my pizza came out looking like that... I don't want any air pockets, I feel like it is wasting valuable real-estate for proper toppings.

Apologies. I have no idea why Golfwrx rotates all of my photos from my iPhone. Super annoying.

I have been working on my pizza dough, though I'm more into NY style. Your dough looks outstanding with the air pockets. Is that your secret recipe or more being able to get the heat needed? I just switched to Tipo 00 flour and its made a huge difference in working the dough but still trying to get larger air pockets. You must tell. : )

This is so interesting how people have different tastes. I would be so bummed out if my pizza came out looking like that... I don't want any air pockets, I feel like it is wasting valuable real-estate for proper toppings.

It’s a style more than a taste thing. I’m actually like you, I like thin crust NY style, but I enjoy the challenge of making proper Neapolitan pizza, it’s very difficult to do correctly. That style is showcasing the crust intentionally.

Weber kettle performer deluxe - charcoal with electronic propane starter. I use it year-round and use only hardwood charcoal, not the briquettes unless I am smoking (which is far less frequently these days).

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

So I've continued my research ... and like all the great feedback everyone has provided thus far.

With a little TLC, I was able to revive my gasser back from the dead (required new burners and flavorizer bars). Still some bent doors from the windstorm debacle, but the grill itself is fully functional. I'm glad I did that because it's just such a darn good grill and any gasser replacement I was thinking of getting would have been a far lesser grill. Glad I didn't just throw it to the curb like I initially was planning on.

Now ... even with the revival of the gasser, I still want more toys ... but ...

But, the wife doesn't understand. "But babe, you fixed the gas grill. I don't get why you need something new now."

Well, I don't get what she doesn't get ... I'm right, she's wrong, and a new toy is a must. Obviously. Such is married life.

But to not totally blow her mind, I'm trying to keep this on a budget and have been looking at the Char Griller Akorn Kamado (or the Char-Broil Kamander Kamado). These seems to do the same as the much more expensive ceramic Kamado's. Don't know what I'm missing.

Or ... the Pit-Boss pellet smoker. I've read both good and bad on these so not sure if that's the route I want to go.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

My father in law bought a Traeger last year and it cooks the best anything he’s ever made. I know there are cheaper options and he wanted to splurge, but it’s seriously amazing. Steaks and burgers are just fine on it. Maybe don’t get as good of a sear but the flavor is all still there. Just have to make sure your pellet hopper is full/full enough so you don’t run out mid cook. Happened tonight with pork chops that were luckily close to being done so it didn’t take much to get it back up and running again. He has found 40lb bags of pellets for around $20 at sams. I think it was a mix of cherry, oak, and hickory? He doesn’t buy the Traeger brand pellets and seems to work just fine. They grill almost every night of the week and the 40lb bag has lasted him a lot longer than I thought it would.

Blazed up the Pit Barrel Cooker in light rain yesterday.

One turkey breast -- moderate salt and heavy Penzey's jerk seasoning all under the skin. Cooked with plain old Kingsford charcoal for about 3 hours until it hit 158F, then let it rest for an hour. Absolutely epic turkey. Juicy, flavorful, just perfect.

Also made baby back pork ribs with my standard rub of paprika, chili powder, brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. They were great too, but even my kids said the turkey was actually better than the ribs!

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

• 2 weeks later...

If I could only have one I'd go big Weber and charcoal.

I've got a 20 year-old one I'm still using, and it's always been outdoors. Love the ash can on the bottom, and the fact you can reuse the charcoal if you snuff the fire after use. Used gas before, but got tired of replacing burners every 2-3 years.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Grill Masters ... if you could only have one cooking tool for the rest of your days ... what you choosing?

Big Green Egg

..if I could have two, add a Traeger.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I’ve got a Camp Chef pellet pooper and love the hell out of it. Less than a Traeger, more space and cooks anything I throw into it. This Saturday I’m doing two 8# butts and some BBQ beans in it. Coupled with a solid digital thermometer and it’s BBQ heaven!

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

The decision has been made. I’ve decided I’m going to purchase a Grilla Grill (see below link). These guys seem like a great company. Their customer service is second to none from what I’ve heard and read. Just stashing funds away in an envelope until I get the amount needed. I’m super excited. Can’t wait for this grill.

https://store.grillagrills.com/products/grilla-pellet-smoker-grill

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
Axis 1 Joey

So I've continued my research ... and like all the great feedback everyone has provided thus far.

With a little TLC, I was able to revive my gasser back from the dead (required new burners and flavorizer bars). Still some bent doors from the windstorm debacle, but the grill itself is fully functional. I'm glad I did that because it's just such a darn good grill and any gasser replacement I was thinking of getting would have been a far lesser grill. Glad I didn't just throw it to the curb like I initially was planning on.

Now ... even with the revival of the gasser, I still want more toys ... but ...

But, the wife doesn't understand. "But babe, you fixed the gas grill. I don't get why you need something new now."

Well, I don't get what she doesn't get ... I'm right, she's wrong, and a new toy is a must. Obviously. Such is married life.

But to not totally blow her mind, I'm trying to keep this on a budget and have been looking at the Char Griller Akorn Kamado (or the Char-Broil Kamander Kamado). These seems to do the same as the much more expensive ceramic Kamado's. Don't know what I'm missing.

Or ... the Pit-Boss pellet smoker. I've read both good and bad on these so not sure if that's the route I want to go.

My wife will tell anyone that asks, the best purchase in our lives was the Green Egg as a wedding present to ourselves. Can't speak for cooking, but I do like the set-up of the kammodo Joe over the green egg. Lid seems to lift up better, would be my only complaint on egg. You can't beat the lifetime warranty on both.

The cheaper you go on a kamado type smoker, the tougher the temp management is. I'm fairly certain there are a lot of mods you can do to get that Char Griller version to cook very well. The biggest thing is that you need to understand how your cooker runs and either adapt it to your style or adapt to it and find a way to crank out great food.

If you're on a budget, I'd probably recommend that akorn over the Pit Boss grill. I wouldn't really want to fool with a budget level temp controller and auger.

• 1 month later...

just got a kamado joe grill to go with my weber 3 burner.

been going back and forth last couple months on big green egg or kamado joe. too much nicking and diming me on the BGE part and Kamado Joe finally had a great deal at the local pinch a penny that included the rotisserie. couldn't pass up. boubon and grill chicken for days.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

My brother-in-law convinced me to go with the weber kettle. His sales pitch: "Its a loophole. It takes a while longer. So you might as well grab a beer, get away from the kids, and sit outside by yourself babysititng the fire. Since you're 'contributing', you can't catch flak for it." I was convinced.

I went about a year with nothing but the kettle w/ a slow n sear insert. Its fantastic. I did eventually get a gasser off craigslist for the conveninece. I use the kettle on weekends and the gasser during the week.

This has been a super fun thread. I truthfully went into this wanting to be convinced to purchase a Kamado style grill. Wasn't really sure/sold on the idea of the pellet grill. Wanted something more than a Kettle. Though, at some point, I'll still probably get a larger Weber Kettle (only have a tailgate size now) at some point in the future to add to the arsenal. What's a collection without a Kettle … I mean, seriously?!?

BUT … after everyone's feedback … I FINALLY pulled the trigger ordered the Grilla Grills "OG". Ordered last night so very anxious to get it in. Hope it arrives in time for Thanksgiving so I can smoke a turkey!

I will tell everyone this … for those of you that are not familiar with these guys, you owe it to yourself to check them out. The more I looked into their products and the people they have designing and pushing their brand, the more you'll want one.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
Axis 1 Joey

You don't want a pellet grill but you bought a pellet grill? Not trying to be snarky, curious what makes this better?

I went into this threading unsure of wanting a pellet grill. When I initially started this discussion, I had somewhat already made up my mind I wanted a Kamado grill. But after doing more research, pellet grill made the most sense.

The difference of the Grilla brand is customer service. Like over the top good customer service. Their grill may or may not be any better or worse than a Traeger/Rec Tec/etc. But their price is a heck of a lot better than comparative grills.

But this model just looks super cool. Very unique footprint. I liked everything about it. They have a pretty active YouTube channel that has some pretty neat videos on their grills and how they got started into the business.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
Axis 1 Joey

• 1 month later...

Over many years of grilling I've used Weber charcoal grills, gas grills, etc. A few months ago I added this Komodo style vessel to the grilling arsenal and won't be going back.

789792067193.jpg

It is awesome at temperature management by the design, charcoal can be reused up to 3x, still using it in colder temps and just use a propane torch to get it started. For Christmas it's hosting a 10 pound prime rib that'll be on for 4-5 hours around 230-250. Already excited for the roast!

i was very close to getting the Char-Griller Akorn. Much cheaper version than the comparative ceramic grills. I may still add one to my arsenal at some point because Kamado's are so versatile. I truly thought I was going to get a Kamado style of some king and ultimately changed gears and decided on the pellet grill. I must say ... I don't regret the pellet decision one bit.

That's the great thing about grilling/BBQ ... so many different methods/styles/cookers to produce great Q. Let us know how the roast comes out! That lump charcoal flavor is tough to beat!

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
Axis 1 Joey

• 2 months later...

I'm in the market. I'm a smoker guy myself and am split between a RecTec, Orion, or green egg. I read some reviews on the egg, that's promising. I've never owned a pellet grill and I'm pretty hesitant. I chugged along with a barrel style with side smoke box. It worked well so long as I babysat it. Would be great if they made a 3 dimensional grill that could maintain consisten heat over a wide resolution, do a good smoke, and have the capability to sear. If anyone knows of such a grand grill; I am in the market for it.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]