Taylormade P790 Irons

Comments

• BiggErnBiggErn  2703Members Posts: 2,703
    ZPrime wrote:
    Yikes!! Getting into TM irons for the first time is incredible. The TM thread battles are more intense than the fear of fliers. Im thinking match play with SMU vs Chisag would be a good intro match for Tiger vs Phil

thanks for all the comments Gents. Both sides. TM passion for/against is entertaining. Im more excited to try these irons now from the last few pages than I was when I asked my original question about Fliers.

Cheers. I will report back this week with first impressions.

I’ll add I use to hate TM and have never owned any TM irons. I had an old TM bubble shafted 3 wood years ago that I loved. In recent times I went to a ‘16 M2 driver that I still game and haven’t found anything to knock it out the bag. From there I went to a Spider OS putter. I recently decided to shake things up and went and hit some irons with the mindset to get something (brand wise) I had never played before. I hit the Ping i500, G400, and P790’s. I hit them all well so I then based my decision on cost, looks, and turnaround time. I’ll be honest that the looks of the 790s weighed pretty heavily as well. After looking on BST, eBay, and locally to see what was out there I finally just went and ordered straight from TM. For reference I’m a 4 HC. I’ve broken par maybe a handful of times on less than pga tour caliber courses but shoot consistently in the mid-high 70s on some respectable tracks. I’ll occasionally get in a funk and shoot in the low-mid 80s but I’ll attribute that to lack of practice time.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • chisagchisag  3097Members Posts: 3,097
    ZPrime wrote:

Yikes!! Getting into TM irons for the first time is incredible. The TM thread battles are more intense than the fear of fliers. Im thinking match play with SMU vs Chisag would be a good intro match for Tiger vs Phil

thanks for all the comments Gents. Both sides. TM passion for/against is entertaining. Im more excited to try these irons now from the last few pages than I was when I asked my original question about Fliers.

Cheers. I will report back this week with first impressions.

... LOL, great post. I am not a TM guy and have no allegiance with anyone. I am not any OEM kinda guy. I just love golf equipment and write reviews. I go to the PGA Show every year on my own dime and enjoy talking to VP's of Engineering and R&D as well as the Marketing guys. I can't remember any irons I thought were as special as the P790's for players looking for forgiveness, playability and a little extra distance. Fwiw, I hit my 7 iron 170 + or - a couple yards and never hit one longer if unaided by wind or grass behind the ball. On the other hand, my son is a 27 yr old ex college DE that has a nice swing and carries his driver 280+. I have seen him hit his 60* Scratch Wedge 110yds and seen him completely fly greens when the pin was 120yds. I have little doubt he could hit my P790 7 iron 185 or 205. He has power to spare. I do not. Looking forward to hearing how you like 'em.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Tensei Orange 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F8 18.5* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
    TaylorMade GAPR Mid ... KBS 80Hys
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90Hys
    4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
  • klbcecklbcec  527Members Posts: 527
    SMUGamer wrote:

chisag wrote:

BiggErn wrote:

Well I pulled the trigger so now there will be a lot of deals popping up on eBay and BST. I played around with some different custom options like the black S300 with the Chrome head but there was an upcharge for that shaft. Probably wouldn’t have did it anyway. I did go with black/orange grip that comes on the black ones instead of the gray.

"I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen."

... I guess at a +1.5 index I am not a good player. Of course I actually play them as opposed to talking about them with a guy in a golf shop, so what do I know? Clearly the 67 I shot a few days ago with UNPLAYABLE irons was due to excellent driving, wedge play and putting. image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
    That's your experience - fine, no big deal. You are the exception, not the norm. Lets see how long they last in your bag. And, how would you know if I've played them or not? Yeah, you don't! Lastly, the fitter is one of the best around here and spends way more hours on this stuff than you ever even thought about.

Shot 69 with them the other day... guess I'm the exception, too. Seems like some have taken the positive comments on these irons personally..
    Posted:
  • AndersUKAndersUK  246Members Posts: 246
    This reminds me of the Mizuno JPX Hot Metal thread early last year. Players of all calibre complaining of unexplained knuckle balls. There was a theory that hitting slightly higher on the face contributed to this.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 9* PX Even Flow 65 6.0
    Callaway Rogue 15* PX Even Flow 75 6.0
    Titleist 818 H2 19*, PX Even Flow 85 6.0
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, XP95 X100
    Miura C Wedges 55* & 59*, DG S400
    Scotty Select Newport 2.6
    Z Star XV / TP5X
  • Double DutchDouble Dutch  561Members Posts: 561
    Same thing with the Apex CF16, everyone was worried about fliers with the longer irons( up to 7i), but I never experienced them.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
    Taylormade M1 3HL
    Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
    Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport original
  • mweaver84mweaver84  535Members Posts: 535
    klbcec wrote:
    Shot 69 with them the other day... guess I'm the exception, too.

Always exceptions to everything.

Granted I only put 1 of these irons in my bag to try out for a few rounds, but I saw a big discrepancy in distance on some of the shots as well. Personally did not like the feel on it either... but I'm sure a bunch people don't like my irons as well. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> Different strokes for different folks!
    Posted:
    TM M3 9.5, Graphite Design AD DI 7x
    TM M4 3 wood
    TM p790 3 iron
    Mizuno MP-59 4-PW, DG S300
    Titleist SM4 50, 56, 60
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Advertisement
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts  1744Members Posts: 1,744
    SMUGamer wrote:

Exactly. I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen.

Look through the other end of the telescope - those of us that are decent players and have zero issues with consistency with these clubs can't understand why you continue to flame them, there are a LOT of guys that are happy with them and their opinion is equally as valid as yours

Would you actually expect pros to play them when TM have three sets of irons that are all designed for the better player who probably doesn't need the extra distance. So how many pros use the Ping g400 or PXG SGI irons as both are the 4th club in the range if you rank by players irons.
    Posted:
  • cardia10cardia10  2500Members Posts: 2,500

SMUGamer wrote:

cardia10 wrote:

As a single digit player, iron play is not usually a weak point. On course, I usually hit an AP2 7 iron 170 carry. The P790s carried 170-195 with same impact location hitting approach shots and tee shots on a par 3. I thought it was just me, so paid for a Trackan session. It 100% confirmed that I was hitting center face with same swing speed and had 20 yard differences in the same iron. My set will be listed on BST tonight. 4-AW Project X 6.5. They will be the most consistent or most inconsistent based on what you read here. I'll play my old Scratch blades and know exactly how far they will go for me.
    Exactly. I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen.

Look through the other end of the telescope - those of us that are decent players and have zero issues with consistency with these clubs can't understand why you continue to flame them, there are a LOT of guys that are happy with them and their opinion is equally as valid as yours

Would you actually expect pros to play them when TM have three sets of irons that are all designed for the better player who probably doesn't need the extra distance. So how many pros use the Ping g400 or PXG SGI irons as both are the 4th club in the range if you rank by players irons.

I'm not flaming them, just saying based on on course experience and tracman data, multiple irons in my set have issues not caused by the user. I'm sure they are great for some people, but those people are more than willing to try my set at a significant discount over new....no returns of course.
    Posted:
    cardia10 wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

cardia10 wrote:

As a single digit player, iron play is not usually a weak point. On course, I usually hit an AP2 7 iron 170 carry. The P790s carried 170-195 with same impact location hitting approach shots and tee shots on a par 3. I thought it was just me, so paid for a Trackan session. It 100% confirmed that I was hitting center face with same swing speed and had 20 yard differences in the same iron. My set will be listed on BST tonight. 4-AW Project X 6.5. They will be the most consistent or most inconsistent based on what you read here. I'll play my old Scratch blades and know exactly how far they will go for me.

I'm not flaming them, just saying based on on course experience and tracman data, multiple irons in my set have issues not caused by the user. I'm sure they are great for some people, but those people are more than willing to try my set at a significant discount over new....no returns of course.

To be clear my comment was squarely aimed at SMUGamer I guess I could have deleted your part of the post I chose to quote. You've been totally even handed saying they just don't work for YOU, statements from SMU questioning the motives of anyone who chooses to defend these irons crosses the line
    Posted:
  • SMUGamerSMUGamer  582Members Posts: 582

cardia10 wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

cardia10 wrote:

To be clear my comment was squarely aimed at SMUGamer I guess I could have deleted your part of the post I chose to quote. You've been totally even handed saying they just don't work for YOU, statements from SMU questioning the motives of anyone who chooses to defend these irons crosses the line
    Your statements aren't in need of a response from me. Read the entire thread so you get the context of my comments.
    Posted:
    SMUGamer wrote:

Your statements aren't in need of a response from me. Read the entire thread so you get the context of my comments.

I've read it. In fact I read a lot of it before extensively testing and then buying the 790's Plenty of guys who like them, plenty having issues. No different to a LOT of the threads here and certainly not supportive of statements like "most folks" and "I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons"
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Hey buddy, play 'em until your heart's content.

I choose to play irons with ZERO distance control issues, like "most" players.
    Posted:
    SMUGamer wrote:

I just got it - you ARE Bob Parsons and I claim my $50
    Posted:
    Distance control issues can stem from a lot of things. Since everyone isn’t having distance control issues it’s possible it could be other things but not saying it is or isn’t. . Even the best have an outlier shot on occasion but some on this forum act like they can drop 7 irons inside a hoola hoop from 175 all day long.
    Posted:

SMUGamer wrote:

I just got it - you ARE Bob Parsons and I claim my $50
    Guess thats why I play Srixons, huh??? And, just about to order the new Srixon 785's.......... I get it, trying to use humor to justify your absurd positions.......I get it.
    Posted:
    SMUGamer wrote:

I get it, trying to use humor to justify your absurd positions.......I get it.

Fake news....
    Posted:

Advertisement

SMUGamer wrote:

Fake news....
    Surely, after having been a member since "2006" you know how to look up someones past post. If so, you'd see my post from years ago raving about my Srixon's. Too complex for ya?
    Posted:
    SMUGamer wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

Fake news....
    Surely, after having been a member since "2006" you know how to look up someones past post. If so, you'd see my post from years ago raving about my Srixon's. Too complex for ya?

Ever wonder why you get so few likes to your posts?

Absurd position = Fake news
    Posted:

SMUGamer wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

Fake news....

You got me, I just don't know what to do or say?!?!? image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> Now go away, you're an utter waste of my time! No more replies to Mr. 3 putter shooting 95........ image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    Posted:
  • GolferRy785GolferRy785  34Members Posts: 34
    Quick question for those of you whom gamed or have hit the 2014 Callaway Apex irons:

-Are these easier, or harder to hit when compared?

-How is the feel compared to both of these?

Thanks!
    Posted:
    Whats in my Callaway Hyperlite 5 Bag:
    Big Stick: Titleist 915 D3 with Diamana white board OR Callaway Epic 10.5 with Aldila Rogue Max
    Smaller stick: Callaway X2Hot 5W / Callaway Epic Star 3W
    Between Sticks: Taylormade RBZ 3H and Callaway Apex 4H
    Metal sticks: Callaway Apex
    Scoring Sticks: Titleist SM6 54* and Callaway MD2 PM Grind 60*
    Flat Stick: Odyssey Works Tank #1W OR Taylormade Spider Black Tour
    Round Thing: Taylormade TP5X
    Kicks: Adidas Boost Tour 360
  • ZPrimeZPrime Ultimate Game  321Members Posts: 321
    I've got some pics
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 white head 44.75” with Daytona Speeder S.  
    Cobra F9 yellow head 3w Atmos Blue S 
    Cobra F9 hybrid 19
    Titleist 620 CB 4-PW
    Vokey Slate Blue 54S, 60M, 64T
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Advertisement
    SMUGamer wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

Fake news....

You got me, I just don't know what to do or say?!?!? image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' /> Now go away, you're an utter waste of my time! No more replies to Mr. 3 putter shooting 95........ image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

How predictable
    Posted:
    OK, I think P790's are the most popular clubs on the BST - get 'em while you can folks!!! image/superman.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman:' /> image/stop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stop:' />
    Posted:
    Not too popular. I couldn’t find any or at least any with the shafts I was looking for. Everything I was looking at on eBay is selling or sold for about what I paid ordering direct from TM. Of course I had a 15% discount but that’s not exactly huge.
    Posted:
  • justincredible04justincredible04 Justincase1004  2213Members Posts: 2,213
    Some of y’all need to chill lol
    Posted:
  • RodCRodC  358Members Posts: 358
    SMUGamer wrote:

cardia10 wrote:

I found that many of these folks, that “defend” the 790 are real users, while many that worry about inconsistency are referrals!

Also, these are near GI irons category. There are (in TaylorMade) 3-4 iron series (770, 750, 730) offered for better payers. So it is understandable that better players would prefer these other options, blades. I assume they would also complain about M3/M4 inconsistency
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter

Advertisement
  • RodCRodC  358Members Posts: 358
    SMUGamer wrote:

chisag wrote:

BiggErn wrote:

Well I pulled the trigger so now there will be a lot of deals popping up on eBay and BST. I played around with some different custom options like the black S300 with the Chrome head but there was an upcharge for that shaft. Probably wouldn’t have did it anyway. I did go with black/orange grip that comes on the black ones instead of the gray.

"I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen."

... I guess at a +1.5 index I am not a good player. Of course I actually play them as opposed to talking about them with a guy in a golf shop, so what do I know? Clearly the 67 I shot a few days ago with UNPLAYABLE irons was due to excellent driving, wedge play and putting. image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
    That's your experience - fine, no big deal. You are the exception, not the norm. Lets see how long they last in your bag. And, how would you know if I've played them or not? Yeah, you don't! Lastly, the fitter is one of the best around here and spends way more hours on this stuff than you ever even thought about.

I think that it’s the opposite. The norm is that these are not fliers
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter
    RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

cardia10 wrote:

I found that many of these folks, that "defend" the 790 are real users, while many that worry about inconsistency are referrals!

Also, these are near GI irons category. There are (in TaylorMade) 3-4 iron series (770, 750, 730) offered for better payers. So it is understandable that better players would prefer these other options, blades. I assume they would also complain about M3/M4 inconsistency
    Says the fella that "benched" his P790's back in March of this year (see sig block - WITB), so that he could play some real irons - Mizzy's. Good choice by the way, Mizzy's have great distance control you can count on.

RodC (WITB):

"Ping G400 Alta CB, R Shaft

M2 3 Wood

TM SLDR 4 Hybrid

4-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag

4-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench

Cleveland RX2 50/08

Vokey SM6 raw 54 & 58/08"
    Posted:
  • magnus7319magnus7319 A hungry dog hunts best - Lee Trevino  2305Members Posts: 2,305
    Idk about unplayable irons but this thread has devolved into unreadable bickering. Ugh.
    Posted:
    M2 or M3 or M4 or ...
    Some driving iron for Links courses
    Titleist or Mizzy Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2s or Pings or z745s
    A Vokey wedge or 2
    I love/hate every one of my 17 putters

Advertisement
    magnus7319 wrote:

Idk about unplayable irons but this thread has devolved into unreadable bickering. Ugh.
    Agree, Magnus. By the way, I saw you tried to sell your P790's on the BST with no luck - did you sell them on eBay?
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file