2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Critique my Swing (please!)

macedan

Hey all, recently my swing has fallen completely off the map. I attributed it mostly to a very very large lateral slide. Since trying to incorporate a more rotational Swing I have been climbing back closer to where I was but am not quite there yet.

My usual miss is fat and/or right. I never hook but may occasionally pull one very low. I feel like my backswing may be too steep, but I am not the best at critiquing myself. Just looking for another set of eyes on my swing and some ideas about what to work on. Thanks!

Both videos are of the same shot with an 8 iron.

http:// http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxxvcDqgS_0

http:// http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqhrXd4xaTE

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, another tip-toer at impact. I'll bet you often hit shots out towards the toe of the club. I'd suggest a little more knee flex at address and that you work on proper footwork. Improved footwork will rectify your minor swing flaws. All the best!

I have actually been almost entirely heel shots as of lately. But I do feel as though I sometimes struggle to find the right amount of knee flex and a good center of gravity

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

I agree with more knee flex at address.

Top of the backswing is just making it way too hard for your pelvis to work correctly in transition.

More right wrist bend (flatter left wrist) and hands are way too high. Getting right hip to work up more in backswing might help.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Top of the backswing is just making it way too hard for your pelvis to work correctly in transition.

More right wrist bend (flatter left wrist) and hands are way too high. Getting right hip to work up more in backswing might help.

I had a feeling about my hands being way too high. Will try the knee flex as well. What exactly do you mean by working my right hip up more? Just culminating my first year of play and am researching more but am still sometimes perplexed my physical descriptions.

Your right arm has a mind of its own, tame it.

I have been wondering about just how my right elbow should orient. I feel as though I am flailing out with it.

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Hip turn is too flat. Will likely be easier to eliminate some of the arm lift if you fix that.

Great swing period, but even more so for short time you’ve played.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Hip turn is too flat. Will likely be easier to eliminate some of the arm lift if you fix that.

Great swing period, but even more so for short time youve played.

Ok, I gotcha. I was wondering about what you had said about a flat left wrist earlier as well. Taking a dry swing I may have felt a little cup, but is that what you were addressing?

Thanks! I’m really trying to progress while simultaneously not suffering information overload.

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Big arm lift (shoulders stop turning and arms keep lifting) and late wrist set leads to that across the line disconnected look at the top. You've got some talent and with some instruction you can really tighten things up....but it will feel like your swing is 40% as long as it is.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Big arm lift (shoulders stop turning and arms keep lifting) and late wrist set leads to that across the line disconnected look at the top. You've got some talent and with some instruction you can really tighten things up....but it will feel like your swing is 40% as long as it is.

This is actually something I have noticed in my dtl videos that I believed contributed to my high hands in the backswing. It always looked like my shoulders stopped early.

This may have started when I became confused about how my right elbow should orient. I used hug my side with my elbow and bring my club so far around/behind me that I either pushed or hooked everything. Now I just don’t know how much/when/what direction my right elbow should move.

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Something going on with your grip there buddy. You're overlapping with your left hand instead of the right. It's almost like a 10-finger grip but your overlapping and with the wrong hand.

Get your grip checked out by a pro.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

Something going on with your grip there buddy. You're overlapping with your left hand instead of the right. It's almost like a 10-finger grip but your overlapping and with the wrong hand.

Not really sure what you are seeing here. I am interlocking. My hands are kind of small so it may give an illusion that I am doing a reverse Vardon, but it’s interlock.

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Not really sure what you are seeing here. I am interlocking. My hands are kind of small so it may give an illusion that I am doing a reverse Vardon, but it’s interlock.

Sorry. I looked closely at the video and it didn't look like an interlock to me. Looked like all fingers of the right hand are on the club and the left pointer is overlapping.

Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

Sorry. I looked closely at the video and it didn't look like an interlock to me. Looked like all fingers of the right hand are on the club and the left pointer is overlapping.

It’s all good. I used to fight a very very very strong grip in the past though. Grip wise now i am very neutral, maybe a slightly strong left hand. Grip runs from most distal knuckle on my index to just below the padding of my hand. Wondering if I am gripping too much in the fingers.

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Went and played today with increased flex and slight increase in lean over the ball. Played very well (for me). Iron shots felt good to hit again. My only problem came with my driver, luckily I played a local links course and used 3 wood often.

My driver misses were all very deep in the low heel, with some even hitting the bottom of the club itself around where my loft adjustment screw is. I apologize for not having any video of the swing, but any thoughts come to mind about misses in this area of the club?

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

This might help:

https://www.bing.com...E7&&FORM=VRDGAR

It's a good explanation of the flying right elbow. The types of shots it produces, and a tip to address the issue if it is causing a problem in your swing. If that tip doesn't work, another backswing thought is to keep both elbows close together on the backswing.

Finally, when Mr. Proudman takes a full swing at the end of the video, notice that he stops his backswing when his left shoulder touches his chin. He demonstrates great power with a shorter (more controlled) backswing.

All the backswing and setup tips won't fix this.

Haha great striking position right? -sarcasm

I’m not sure my striking position is much better but I’m not falling back and flipping near as much as what is shown in that image.

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

All the backswing and setup tips won't fix this.

Haha great striking position right? -sarcasm

I’m not sure my striking position is much better but I’m not falling back and flipping near as much as what is shown in that image.

That's from one of your youtube videos. I was looking for a face on.

Yeah I believe that is from early May. At that point I was dropping my front side so low on my backswing that my only natural movement following it was to fall backwards and try to time a flip.

I apologize for the lack of different angles. I typically play solo and have to balance my phone on my divot tools for video lol. I’ll try to get a newer face on posted soon.

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

What are your club specs? Length/lie etc.? How tall are you?

I am right around 5’7”. All standard dimensions. Picked up most of my bag when I was still trying to understand a swing in general and haven’t been fit. I would like to be, but just haven’t gotten around to it.

Try an earlier wrist set, that might stop your arms lifting so much in backswing. My swing gets long when I set the wrists late as I feel like I am waiting to get them set.

Monte's no turn/cast drill might be a good one to get that feel.

Played a couple days ago and really focused on an earlier wrist set, helped keep my arms in check tremendously

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have finally been able to upload a video from a face on angle.

I find most of my misses are fat and largely blocks/push fades. I find I am flipping at the ball and cannot keep my head steady in my backswing. I’m trying to work on an earlier wrist set but can’t seem to get a feel for it.

http:// http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSHlM1GVP24

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Hands are typically ahead of the club at impact. You almost have reverse shaft lean at impact. It's like your scooping the ball and trying to lift it into the air. You're kinda "Dead handed" which can work as long as there's lag. You don't really have any.

Without just telling you to do it, I'm not sure how to get you to impact the ball with the hands ahead of the club....but it needs to happen. Maybe try to set the wrists a bit earlier.

Look where Duffner's shaft is with his hands in about the same position as yours.

f7xEbt.jpgNG8rkM.jpg

Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

• 1 month later...

Hey all, back again. Recently I have made some developments in my swing and have been playing some of my best golf in a long while.

I have been focusing on an earlier wrist set, more knee flex at address, and "speeding up my arms" through the downswing as opposed to firing my hips and leaving my arms trailing behind. Below are my "old" (orange) and new (black) swings. I'm slowly but surely making improvements, or so it feels, and this thread has been a massive deal of support, thank you all so much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr5...e/dr5tf3bhEBk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSHlM1GVP24

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Great to hear about your improvement. Hopefully someone can give you some comments on your latest swing. It is weird the way that your clubhead does that across the line move at the top of your swing. Probably still an overswing of some sort and lack of wrist control at the top...but one of the experts could say for sure.

PS - at least your video had the swing at the front and the dead time afterward! Ask someone for help on editing phone videos...it is easy to do.

Here is your newest swing, embedded:

http://youtu.be/dr5tf3bhEBk

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response