2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Make switch to PXG?

00bolt

I just couldn't justify spending $3K on a set of irons, even half that, unless custom fitted seems ridiculous, but if can afford it, go for it.....then again, there's always Epon and Miura

I've played Miura's and while yes they feel great and look amazing - the PXG's destroyed these in almost every category for me in the sense of performance. Since I'm not Tiger or Rory I needed a bit of help. I personally got fit for the JPX 900 Tour and the PXG's - Club champion wanted $2300 for the irons (didn't do that of course) so instead I took the same specs from my fitting went to PXG for the Hero program and paid less than $900. Way cheaper than even a brand new set of AP2's. I did an entire bag for about $1300 less than the 3K you mentioned. Not arguing or anything, just wanted to share my experience.

Ping G425 LST

TSi2

Mizuno 223 4-5, 221 6-P
Mizuno T20 51/55

WedgeWorks 60T Grind
Custom Byron
ProV1x
Instagram : danieljfalcone

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just couldn't justify spending $3K on a set of irons, even half that, unless custom fitted seems ridiculous, but if can afford it, go for it.....then again, there's always Epon and Miura

I've played Miura's and while yes they feel great and look amazing - the PXG's destroyed these in almost every category for me in the sense of performance. Since I'm not Tiger or Rory I needed a bit of help. I personally got fit for the JPX 900 Tour and the PXG's - Club champion wanted $2300 for the irons (didn't do that of course) so instead I took the same specs from my fitting went to PXG for the Hero program and paid less than $900. Way cheaper than even a brand new set of AP2's. I did an entire bag for about $1300 less than the 3K you mentioned. Not arguing or anything, just wanted to share my experience.

THIS! I was fitted Ping and took same specs also...just irons

I recently purchased a set GEN 1 PXG 0311 irons ( 5-GW and 0311 54 and 58 wedges) the irons are standard all the way around with C-Taper Lite stiff shafts and the wedges have KBS Hi-Rev 2.0.

I have 36 holes in with the PXG irons and wedges (HERO Program) and I will express my feelings about the irons as they compare to my TM P-770's with the same exact shaft and a 54 MG wedge with a KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 and a 58 Hi-toe with a KBS HI-Rev 2.0. The P-770's are 1 degree strong set by TM.

The PXG irons feel great on center strikes, but feel pretty bad (dull) on off center strikes. The ball flight with the PXG is really flat. They spin well and all the irons I hit into the green seem to hold fine, I use the AVX ball. The wedges are really good, feel, and spin great around the greens, though the profile of the wedge is smaller than the TM MG. Overall great looking clubs that feel ok.

The TM 770's seem more responsive, they spin more, and the overall height of the shots are considerably higher that the PXG's. I personally feel the TM irons feel better, and the misses are more playable for me. Not sure of any loft difference in the clubs.

I really appreciate the HERO program, not sure they stay in the bag.

I recently purchased a set GEN 1 PXG 0311 irons ( 5-GW and 0311 54 and 58 wedges) the irons are standard all the way around with C-Taper Lite stiff shafts and the wedges have KBS Hi-Rev 2.0.

I have 36 holes in with the PXG irons and wedges (HERO Program) and I will express my feelings about the irons as they compare to my TM P-770's with the same exact shaft and a 54 MG wedge with a KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 and a 58 Hi-toe with a KBS HI-Rev 2.0. The P-770's are 1 degree strong set by TM.

The PXG irons feel great on center strikes, but feel pretty bad (dull) on off center strikes. The ball flight with the PXG is really flat. They spin well and all the irons I hit into the green seem to hold fine, I use the AVX ball. The wedges are really good, feel, and spin great around the greens, though the profile of the wedge is smaller than the TM MG. Overall great looking clubs that feel ok.

The TM 770's seem more responsive, they spin more, and the overall height of the shots are considerably higher that the PXG's. I personally feel the TM irons feel better, and the misses are more playable for me. Not sure of any loft difference in the clubs.

Yes lofts are stronger in 0311s....2 degrees in mid and long....1 degree in short...I ordered mine in lofts to fit my game....retro we can call it

I would assume your ball flight is flat because you’re using the AVX ball. That’s what it does. Tons on reviews on YouTube about the ball. Everything your saying is pretty much the characteristics of the AVX. You try a different ball?

With the prices on the HERO programme its a bit of a no brainer, heck what have you got to lose - PXG obviously dont want people to buy and immediately list on eBay to make a buck or two.

Yes, its older models and no doubt diminishing stock but for TM money you get , lets say to save the age old arguments, similar performance.

I've had my 0311/0311T combo set for over a year and whilst i don't think i got the optimum shaft for me, I'm more than happy with them. Off centre hits can be a bit dull, but the ball flight and end result are much better than they deserve to be more often than not. I had a 0811 driver, but it spun too much for me even with a whiteboard (thats as much my swing as the club itself), but ultimately with little to no run out it wasn't the driver for me.

Hero programme/ close out sale - call it whatever you want - its just a case of do you want them at $125/club, versus other premium irons. It's no longer a price argument.

Hope y'all happy with your purchases ;)

At that price, buy them at hero’s discount and then sell the on eBay for a tidy profit:)

On a more serious note and changing it up a bit, at that price point you should consider a set of Epon irons. I had my mind set on PXG’s and they just felt super harsh upon impact. Fitter handed me an Epon iron and it was worlds away soft and tons of feel and crazy tight dispersion. I’ve always heard about the allusive marshmallow on a stick soft feeling but never had that feeling until I hit the epons.

I would assume your ball flight is flat because you’re using the AVX ball. That’s what it does. Tons on reviews on YouTube about the ball. Everything your saying is pretty much the characteristics of the AVX. You try a different ball?

ANYONE else this flatter flight? I'm starting to get buyer's remorse.....

The i210 guarantees me that window I desire..

Even though I feel comfortable in the research I put into pxg, I never got the opportunity to hit them....ugh

Even though I feel comfortable in the research I put into pxg, I never got the opportunity to hit them....ugh

I’ll let you know when they come in probably 10 days or so :) From my research and YouTube videos I haven’t see anyone saying it’s a flat ball flight. Especially with the 0311. The 0311T variant is supposed to be flatter flight though. At least it states that on PXGs website. I think it really depends on your swing and the ball your using. Recent tests I’ve seen online, the ball is a huge difference maker. This is just from my research as I haven’t hit them yet. I will say that my 0341 3 wood does not disappoint.

I actually wouldn’t mind a flatter flight as I’m a high ball hitter in general.

The Hero's program is the way to go as I've said it in other post that the Gen 2's should be offered for the same price or maybe $150 more but not what the asking price is. It ridiculous what Parson's want for a new set of Gen 2's. I appreciate your honesty as not many people are brave enough to admit that they are just another set of nice irons but way overpriced. What the Hero's programs is offering is maybe all they are worth but Wow! Bob sure filled his pockets while everyone paid full price till this program.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

At that price, buy them at hero's discount and then sell the on eBay for a tidy profit:)

On a more serious note and changing it up a bit, at that price point you should consider a set of Epon irons. I had my mind set on PXG's and they just felt super harsh upon impact. Fitter handed me an Epon iron and it was worlds away soft and tons of feel and crazy tight dispersion. I've always heard about the allusive marshmallow on a stick soft feeling but never had that feeling until I hit the epons.

Now your someone who know whats he talking about as Epon irons are some of the best as that is where my money would go

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I just now realized that I just paid a little more for a set of P790’s than I would’ve for a set of PXGs.

True but don't forget the Gen 1's are going on 3 years now as I know if you ever wanted to own a set of PXG's the Hero's program is the way to go as they sure were not worth the asking price when they came out.

Saw on my FB you can order the gen one irons online for limited

Time. Price is $195 per club. Seems like a solid deal for those looking to make the switch.

Military, veterans, and first responders can get them for 50% off which is $125 per iron.

Not to nitpick but it's more than 50% .... initially the irons were 175 per club which was the 50% discount....now at 125 per club, it's like 65% .....schematics....my order was placed Thursday btw!

Not to nitpick, but did you mean "semantics"?

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Has anyone else noticed how reviews on PXG change depending on price paid? When people are paying full price for the PXG, that they say they are greatest thing since sliced bread. Compare that to when people get them at a discounted rate that is more in line with other irons. Then, you begin to hear how they may not be the greatest thing since sliced bread and how they may not be better than other options out there.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Has anyone else noticed how reviews on PXG change depending on price paid? When people are paying full price for the PXG, that they say they are greatest thing since sliced bread. Compare that to when people get them at a discounted rate that is more in line with other irons. Then, you begin to hear how they may not be the greatest thing since sliced bread and how they may not be better than other options out there.

Nope not really. It could be that the people that bought full price had a full fitting and got the right shaft and lie. The people (me) are just buying with the specs we think we should have. Sometimes that doesn’t work out.

Nope not really. It could be that the people that bought full price had a full fitting and got the right shaft and lie. The people (me) are just buying with the specs we think we should have. Sometimes that doesn’t work out.

that's an interesting perspective. Honestly, I didn't think about it that way..... great point!

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Saw on my FB you can order the gen one irons online for limited

Time. Price is $195 per club. Seems like a solid deal for those looking to make the switch.

Military, veterans, and first responders can get them for 50% off which is $125 per iron.

Not to nitpick but it's more than 50% .... initially the irons were 175 per club which was the 50% discount....now at 125 per club, it's like 65% .....schematics....my order was placed Thursday btw!

Not to nitpick, but did you mean "semantics"?

Semantics might be the proper term....but I was truly thinking schematics from a diagram concept.....but again semantics probably is the term

I just now realized that I just paid a little more for a set of P790’s than I would’ve for a set of PXGs.

True but don't forget the Gen 1's are going on 3 years now as I know if you ever wanted to own a set of PXG's the Hero's program is the way to go as they sure were not worth the asking price when they came out.

I just broke it down.

Hero program PXG with discount

5-GW $875

Tax $53

S/H $60

Total $988

TM P790 with discount

5-AW $967

Tax. $69

S/H Free (but did 1 day for $20)

Total $1056

Conservatively add $50 to the PXG due to the grips being immediately removed and replaced. If there had been no upcharge for black and quicker turnaround I may have went PXG.

Put "PXG" in the title of a thread and guaranteed to get at least one hater on the thread that talks about price when OB says he doesn't care about price, and then claims he's not a hater. SMH

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

I would assume your ball flight is flat because you're using the AVX ball. That's what it does. Tons on reviews on YouTube about the ball. Everything your saying is pretty much the characteristics of the AVX. You try a different ball?

Nope, I got fitted by a mobile PXG truck and I have a nice high ball flight. You shouldn't be worried if you got fitted. Flat ball flight usually not fitted or the way someone strikes the ball.

I have played the AVX and they have a lower and flat ball flight. Played 2 rounds with them and hated them.

I would assume your ball flight is flat because you're using the AVX ball. That's what it does. Tons on reviews on YouTube about the ball. Everything your saying is pretty much the characteristics of the AVX. You try a different ball?

Nope, I got fitted by a mobile PXG truck and I have a nice high ball flight. You shouldn't be worried if you got fitted. Flat ball flight usually not fitted or the way someone strikes the ball.

I have played the AVX and they have a lower and flat ball flight. Played 2 rounds with them and hated them.

What shaft did you end up with?

Thanks everyone for the opinions and suggestions. I went ahead and placed my order today. I purchased 5-PW 0311T irons. I had them bent to match my current irons so everything in my bag will continue to flow 4 degrees between each club. I had them +1/2” (was fitted previously by Edel for wedges) and got the same Modus 120 shaft I was previously fitted for. So although I didn’t do a true PXG fitting. I did get a custom order that should be tailored to me. Hopefully get everything soon. Can’t wait to hit them.

Plan to keep my TMB 3 and 4 iron and my Miura wedges. So I have quite a mixed bag now.

IG: golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Cobra F9 3 Wood
Titleist 818 H1 19° Hybrid
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Cleveland RTX4 50°, 54°, 58°
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

Thanks everyone for the opinions and suggestions. I went ahead and placed my order today. I purchased 5-PW 0311T irons. I had them bent to match my current irons so everything in my bag will continue to flow 4 degrees between each club. I had them +1/2” (was fitted previously by Edel for wedges) and got the same Modus 120 shaft I was previously fitted for. So although I didn’t do a true PXG fitting. I did get a custom order that should be tailored to me. Hopefully get everything soon. Can’t wait to hit them.

Plan to keep my TMB 3 and 4 iron and my Miura wedges. So I have quite a mixed bag now.

What lumber you using ?

No, not really with the caveat that when something is new, people get excited about them. This is towards the end of my 3rd season with the PXG irons and hybrids. I had a toe-ee issue that has take time to resolve and was surprised by the forgiveness off the toe. I guess for the last 2 seasons I've said they're good irons, very soft feeling, forgiving to an extent, and you get some nice distance. But so does the CF16, which came out in 2016, and other irons. While I like the irons, I even pondered the Ping i500 and i210 - I thought, what the heck, the i500 can be inconsistent, the i210 looks good, but I think PXG gives me just as much. I mean, it's just an iron. The only way for me to justify it a couple of years ago was to keep them 5 seasons or so and then hand them down to my son.

I like their original 0317 hybrid - find the right shaft and it's an excellent club.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

What shaft did you end up with?

KBS TGI Tour Graphite shaft. I've had surgery on both shoulders and going to graphite has helped out tremendously

Does anyone know if this hero program is going to be around for ahwhile? I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on these PXG's since the price is so good but would really like to get fitted first. Unfortunately a fitting would have to wait until January at this point.

The gen1 inventory should be gone pretty quickly since now anyone can buy online. I just bought second set haha

I just broke it down.

Hero program PXG with discount

5-GW $875

Tax $53

S/H $60

Total $988

TM P790 with discount

5-AW $967

Tax. $69

S/H Free (but did 1 day for $20)

Total $1056

Conservatively add $50 to the PXG due to the grips being immediately removed and replaced. If there had been no upcharge for black and quicker turnaround I may have went PXG.

0311s feel better than 790s no comparison really.