2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

Does anyone know, is the new TPC course allowing public play yet? We’re going to combine golf and a Rockies/Dodgers game a week from Friday and would like to try to play there.

They’ve been throwing around August; but I haven’t heard an exact date yet. I’m playing there Saturday, so I’ll try to pry a date out of em.

I know they’re waiting to open it up to the public until they finish the clubhouse/practice area, and there was still a good bit to finish up in the clubhouse when I took refuge there a week or so ago.

Appreciate the info Queso. Anything else you find out would be greatly appreciated also.

Yeah, a date would be awesome if you can pry it from them. Would be fun to do the outing there this year if the timing works out.

No such thing as "being sick of work"??? Just tell them you're having eye problems...can't see myself coming in to work this week!

Zing!

So I tried to figure out a date as I hacked it around out there today, but it didn’t seem like anyone knew one....I definitely wouldn’t count on any time soon if it’s in August (and it almost seemed like maybe not at all this year).

They’ve got the NoCo invitational out there tomorrow and the greens were rolling perfectly and FAST. Like, really fast...haha

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I tried to figure out a date as I hacked it around out there today, but it didn’t seem like anyone knew one....I definitely wouldn’t count on any time soon if it’s in August (and it almost seemed like maybe not at all this year).

They’ve got the NoCo invitational out there tomorrow and the greens were rolling perfectly and FAST. Like, really fast...haha

Thanks for reporting back. Guess we'll have to see.

In a fun turn of events, it looks like I will get to play Wildhorse this year. My wife and daughter are flying to Seattle for a wedding the third weekend of September, and I'm not going. So I'm going to drive out on a Friday after dropping them at the airport, play 18, sleep, and maybe play 36 before driving home. Can't wait.

I have a dilemma I need the group's help with. We're definitely doing England/Wales/Scotland this November, so I emailed the folks at the Old Course to see about getting on as a single on Dec. 1. They said I can't book a time, but can do the lottery or go and wait by the starter and try to get inserted into a group. The gentleman who emailed back said it'd be much easier that time of year...but here's the catch:

You can't play any shots off of fairways. You have to carry a mat and play off of those for most shots. Is it even worth it, at that point?

My gut says it'd be cool...but that it's not really golf. Especially when there are so many other quality courses to play in the U.K. What do you all think?

We’re going to combine golf and a Rockies/Dodgers game a week from Friday and would like to try to play there.

They’ve been throwing around August; but I haven’t heard an exact date yet. I’m playing there Saturday, so I’ll try to pry a date out of em.

I know they’re waiting to open it up to the public until they finish the clubhouse/practice area, and there was still a good bit to finish up in the clubhouse when I took refuge there a week or so ago.

Appreciate the info Queso. Anything else you find out would be greatly appreciated also.

Yeah, a date would be awesome if you can pry it from them. Would be fun to do the outing there this year if the timing works out.

No such thing as "being sick of work"??? Just tell them you're having eye problems...can't see myself coming in to work this week!

Zing!

I thought about that NoCo tournament. But having only played Pelican Lakes once (several years ago) and Highland Meadows once in January, it seemed a bit expensive for me. Although I suppose with what TPC's greens fees reportedly are it probably wasn't that bad at $325.

I have a dilemma I need the group's help with. We're definitely doing England/Wales/Scotland this November, so I emailed the folks at the Old Course to see about getting on as a single on Dec. 1. They said I can't book a time, but can do the lottery or go and wait by the starter and try to get inserted into a group. The gentleman who emailed back said it'd be much easier that time of year...but here's the catch:

You can't play any shots off of fairways. You have to carry a mat and play off of those for most shots. Is it even worth it, at that point?

My gut says it'd be cool...but that it's not really golf. Especially when there are so many other quality courses to play in the U.K. What do you all think?

I wouldn’t be able to stomach that, go somewhere else!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Shot 75 at Highlands Ranch this morning with a 41-34. Went out to arrowhead this afternoon and hit the ball as good as I can ever remember and then putted AWFUL. No missed tee shots and 17/18 greens. I missed 11 putts between 2-15 feet and ended up shooting 72. Could’ve been an all timer!

Playing on mats is about the best you are going to get in the winter time. Many of the courses that don't use mats will tell you to move your ball out of the fairway to the side for your approach shots. Some courses close some of the holes on the course entirely. A lot of them also enforce winter tee boxes which can greatly reduce the yardage of the course. The courses are also not in the greatest shape and to top it off you have the potential for really nasty weather. I wouldn't recommend it. Go to Bandon if you want cheaper links golf in the winter. If you're looking for cheaper golf over there where you can play the course as it normally plays you need to go in the shoulder season (usually April and October but can vary by course).

They did create a plastic curved mat that supposedly gives you the sensation of making a divot and is much better than the old style mats.

https://www.divotend.com/

Playing on mats is about the best you are going to get in the winter time. Many of the courses that don't use mats will tell you to move your ball out of the fairway to the side for your approach shots. Some courses close some of the holes on the course entirely. A lot of them also enforce winter tee boxes which can greatly reduce the yardage of the course. The courses are also not in the greatest shape and to top it off you have the potential for really nasty weather. I wouldn't recommend it. Go to Bandon if you want cheaper links golf in the winter. If you're looking for cheaper golf over there where you can play the course as it normally plays you need to go in the shoulder season (usually April and October but can vary by course).

They did create a plastic curved mat that supposedly gives you the sensation of making a divot and is much better than the old style mats.

I knew the weather could be suspect (cold, wet, windy) but I'm fine with that. I also knew the courses could be in a little disrepair, but I guess I didn't consider that ALL courses would shut down like that in the winter. That's really disappointing to hear, since I'll already be over there for work and we're just going to extend the stay a couple of weeks to explore. :(

That mat's pretty cool though. And fairly cheap. I figure if I end up playing I'll pick one of these up, so thanks for the link.

I thought more about what you said and uh...yeah, I'm still going to play. Probably, definitely still going to do the Old Course, too. But I seriously appreciate the heads up. I'll probably order one of those mats!

Sorry to keep bringing this topic up, but another question about Thorncreek.

I see on their website they are cart path only. Not real thrilled about that. Just wondered if anyone has played there lately and know if this is still in effect.

Thanks

Haven't played there, but that makes sense. Just opened up a couple of weeks ago, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they are cart path only all season just to help protect the turf while it get's better established. I'm looking forward to getting up there and checking it out after the renovation... but I'll likely wait until next spring.

I thought more about what you said and uh...yeah, I'm still going to play. Probably, definitely still going to do the Old Course, too. But I seriously appreciate the heads up. I'll probably order one of those mats!

Yeah if you don't think you'll be back there, just getting out on it would be pretty cool and as the guy you talked to said, you shouldn't have any issue getting out in December as a single. I know some of the courses over there actually give you that divot end to use for your round. I thought I saw Carnoustie as one of the ones that is using them. Not sure about the old course though.

I see on their website they are cart path only. Not real thrilled about that. Just wondered if anyone has played there lately and know if this is still in effect.

Thanks

Haven't played there, but that makes sense. Just opened up a couple of weeks ago, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they are cart path only all season just to help protect the turf while it get's better established. I'm looking forward to getting up there and checking it out after the renovation... but I'll likely wait until next spring.

Someone who played today said they were surprised by how many unfilled divots and ball marks there were on the course given that it's only been open two weeks. If that's true, it sounds like Thorncreek is still attracting the scrub golfers who don't know the first thing about golf etiquette that they used to attract, which is a shame.

Thanks

Someone who played today said they were surprised by how many unfilled divots and ball marks there were on the course given that it's only been open two weeks. If that's true, it sounds like Thorncreek is still attracting the scrub golfers who don't know the first thing about golf etiquette that they used to attract, which is a shame.

Thanks guys. I think I'll try to switch this one out.

Had a beautiful Ray-Ray at Murphy Creek yesterday (37-45). That was after starting -1 through 7 holes, and lipping out a 15-foot eagle putt on 13.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Interesting weekend of play. Hit up CommonGround for the first time on Saturday and shot a smooth 90 with 40 putts. SMH. Had trouble hitting my driver well which made the round a struggle!

Sunday morning, I played Lone Tree after a heavy night of partying. I started off great because I think I was still a bit buzzed and shot a 40 on the front, then the hangover and tiredness kicked in pretty much at the turn, and completely fell apart to shoot an 88.

Handicap is trending in the wrong direction, but so be it. Only one more event for the season, so hopefully I play well this weekend for our Club Championship which is a 2-day event. Gonna try my best to actually take care of my body this week! :lol:

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Interesting weekend of play. Hit up CommonGround for the first time on Saturday and shot a smooth 90 with 40 putts. SMH. Had trouble hitting my driver well which made the round a struggle!

Sunday morning, I played Lone Tree after a heavy night of partying. I started off great because I think I was still a bit buzzed and shot a 40 on the front, then the hangover and tiredness kicked in pretty much at the turn, and completely fell apart to shoot an 88.

Handicap is trending in the wrong direction, but so be it. Only one more event for the season, so hopefully I play well this weekend for our Club Championship which is a 2-day event. Gonna try my best to actually take care of my body this week! :lol:

Good luck in the tourney Tim.

We have our Sr. CC this weekend. I hope to not lose my swing like last weekend. :(

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

FRGC just announced the location of the season-ending tournament, and it will be at Eisenhower Golf Course.

I'm definitely inside the cut line to qualify as of right now, so I'm pretty pumped. I just need to play well at Walnut Creek next weekend.

Are you playing the blue or silver? They are (IMO) 2 completely different courses. The silver is shorter and narrower and requires accuracy. The blue is longer and little more open. Let me know if you want/need some notes for the blue. A buddy of mine put them together for me when I was prepping for an event there.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Random question, the last time you played with a full set of clubs that weren’t your own (rentals, borrowed) how did you play? Taking a quick trip back home for a few days this week and am not going to lug my clubs for 1-2 rounds. I’m curious to see how I play with the set my brother put together. Lucky for me he is a ho who will have plenty of options

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Random question, the last time you played with a full set of clubs that weren’t your own (rentals, borrowed) how did you play? Taking a quick trip back home for a few days this week and am not going to lug my clubs for 1-2 rounds. I’m curious to see how I play with the set my brother put together. Lucky for me he is a ho who will have plenty of options

Other than gapping and distances, I don't see much of a change. And that's with my dad's knockoff Eye 2 set and the lightest putter I've ever used. I think once your game is in a certain spot and you can comfortably predict where your shots should fall, equipment just doesn't move the needle much...at least not for me. I know my miss is right, though it's not terribly right these days. Pretty much any set is going to yield similar results, though my fitted set will give me the best chance to play as well as I'm capable of.

I'd just get out there and have some fun.

Yeah if you don't think you'll be back there, just getting out on it would be pretty cool and as the guy you talked to said, you shouldn't have any issue getting out in December as a single. I know some of the courses over there actually give you that divot end to use for your round. I thought I saw Carnoustie as one of the ones that is using them. Not sure about the old course though.

The guy at the Old Course has been really helpful and said I could use that if I picked one up. I figure for the amount of rounds I'd like to play, buying something that's small and light may be worth it. Especially if it's only $15 or so. My wife's on board with me playing like 4-5 times, which is really great. I'll also be there at least two full days before they arrive, so I may jaunt down to Spain and play if the costs are low enough. Or try to play at Le Golf National outside Paris after the Ryder Cup!

Before I kept a set of clubs in Sweden, my brothers-in-law would try to find the absolute worst set of golf clubs for me to borrow. Regular flex shafts, grips that hadn't been changed in a decade, clubheads that hadn't been cleaned for even longer, etc. I hope the club pool that your brother has around will be similar. :D

Anyone play the Club at Crested Butte? I'm heading up there next week with the family and think I'm going to play it one afternoon...from the pictures it looks incredible.

I have not.

Along those same lines has anyone play Cherry Hills? I might have a hookup for Friday with some buddies.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Anyone play the Club at Crested Butte? I'm heading up there next week with the family and think I'm going to play it one afternoon...from the pictures it looks incredible.

Never heard of it but it looks great. I think pictures on a destination golf course website are so incredibly important. I will for the life of me never understand when they don't have great pictures.

I have not.

Along those same lines has anyone play Cherry Hills? I might have a hookup for Friday with some buddies.

My buddy Billy played it a few years back for a tournament. He seemed to really like it. (cool)

Never heard of it but it looks great. I think pictures on a destination golf course website are so incredibly important. I will for the life of me never understand when they don't have great pictures.

Agreed. My buddy who grew up there has played it a bunch, said it's one of his favorite courses. It's an interesting setup...mornings are reserved for members, and public tee times only in the afternoon (starting at noon). Seems like a reasonable compromise to allow public play.

Agreed. My buddy who grew up there has played it a bunch, said it's one of his favorite courses. It's an interesting setup...mornings are reserved for members, and public tee times only in the afternoon (starting at noon). Seems like a reasonable compromise to allow public play.

I think more mountain/ destination courses need to do that more to make sure they survive. Too many are member only and put too much financial pressure that the expectation on the course is too high where it doesn't work the way it should. I like when a course is up front about their policies.

I have not.

My buddy Billy played it a few years back for a tournament. He seemed to really like it. (cool)

That made me laugh.....

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4