Miura 1957 Small Blade/Baby Blade enthusiasts thread! (Lots of enabling and physics lessons inside)

PopIt&DropIt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is off topic but what is the correct pronunciation of Miura?

Mi' - ur - a

The name flows together and is not pronounced in distinct syllables. There are a number of "official" Miura Golf videos on YouTube with interviews of people from the region speaking in Japanese (including Miura-San himself). Watch a few of those and you quickly get the idea, it's much easier to hear in Japanese and repeat than to type it out in some matter. Here is a pretty good example (both Japanese and English speakers) ->

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

Does anyone know if Miura ever produced the 1957 baby blades without the "SL" mark (with non conforming grooves)?

Yup. Here's a pic of one of mine.

My understanding of this is that they only skipped the SL mark in the long irons that are not subject to the groove rule. I have a very early set of CoC 1957s and the short(er) irons are marked but the long(er) irons are not. I do not recall where the point of demarcation is in the set.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x

Does anyone know if Miura ever produced the 1957 baby blades without the "SL" mark (with non conforming grooves)?

Yup. Here's a pic of one of mine.

My understanding of this is that they only skipped the SL mark in the long irons that are not subject to the groove rule. I have a very early set of CoC 1957s and the short(er) irons are marked but the long(er) irons are not. I do not recall where the point of demarcation is in the set.

Well this is now interesting. The reason I asked my question is because I haven't been able to find any confirmation online. I have seen images of the 1957s without the SL mark floating on the internet but those were mainly marketing pictures and since Miura no longer lists the 1957s on their website, I am unsure if those images even stemmed from Miura themselves. I believe all of the actual in hand photos of 1957s that I came across had the SL mark (besides for 2 irons such as yours Rebby, which you wonderfully explained a few pages back).

My slight problem (hopefully it isn't a problem) is that over the weekend I came across, and now own, a set of 1957s. The entire set, 3-PW, does not have the SL mark. I don't really believe that my set is counterfeit but so far I have had no success in confirming; I am still waiting for Miura to respond to my query. Huddledtoast, can you please confirm if your entire set also do not have the SL mark?

If my set does turn out to be authentic, then you guys have been quite right throughout this thread. While I have only had my set for effectively two range sessions, the baby blades feel fantastic when hit well and seem to be a rather special set of irons. They feel unusually solid when compared to my only other set of irons, Taylormade TP MB Smokes that I've had since new.

I bought my 3i separate from my set; the rest of my set has the little circle conforming mark.

If you want a quicker response RE: authenticity, I would suggest phoning Chip Usher at Usher golf in Georgia, and emailing him some pics. He was fantastic to deal with when I wanted some words of wisdom (about authenticity) when buying my 1957 wedge heads, and he's been a Miura dealer/fitter for quite some time.

25 degrees was the point of demarcation so to speak.

https://www.usga.org/rules-hub/grooves/common-questions-answers.html

The rules apply to more than just wedges. In addition to the rules that existed prior to 2010, the revised rules apply to all new models of clubs manufactured on or after January 1, 2010, except drivers and putters. Additionally, the specifications apply to all models of clubs, regardless of vintage, when the Condition of Competition has been adopted. Among other things, the rules reduce the maximum volume of the grooves on irons, wedges, hybrids and fairway woods. The rules also place a limitation on the sharpness of groove edges on irons, wedges, hybrids and fairway woods with lofts of 25 degrees or higher.

Played two rounds with my mp67s during a recent vacation. I don't like to travel by plane with my BB sets, so I brought my mp67s on vacation. It was over a year since I played a round without BBs. Performance was fine and I played decent with them (shot 82 and 84), but to confirm I missed the feel and performance and trust I have with my BB sets.

In short the BBs are still...best...clubs...ever but admittedly it is a marginal thing.

In other news I was able to fondle dan360s BB set with Steelfibers. They looked awesome but unfortunately he could not play that day so there was no BB twosome on the course at the same time.

Good to see this thread is still alive. Peace out to my fellow BB lovers.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Not reading the thread much, but FWIW based on recent posts I have a 2i black boron BB that has the "SL" stamp. When I bought it it was part of a full PW-2i order and build, and yes all clubs had the conforming grooves stamp.

Registered Bladeocrat

Have to admit it took me a little while to really warm to the Baby Blades, but once I worked on my angle of attack to get the most out of them (a good few range session!) my scores have been super consistent between 70-74 for the last dozen or so rounds, now I understand why they are held in such high regard, big thanks to a few of you on here (kaaayell and oldplayer) for giving me the nudge I needed!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Have to admit it took me a little while to really warm to the Baby Blades, but once I worked on my angle of attack to get the most out of them (a good few range session!) my scores have been super consistent between 70-74 for the last dozen or so rounds, now I understand why they are held in such high regard, big thanks to a few of you on here (kaaayell and oldplayer) for giving me the nudge I needed!

It took me several months if not a full summer to really acclimate myself to them. Although they were wonderful for me right out if the gate, it was like going from a poor handling car to one with supreme handling. I basically had to be more subtle with them because they provide such good control over the ball.

Welcome to golf club bliss!

Registered Bladeocrat

It took me several months if not a full summer to really acclimate myself to them. Although they were wonderful for me right out if the gate, it was like going from a poor handling car to one with supreme handling. I basically had to be more subtle with them because they provide such good control over the ball.

Also you DeNinny played your part!

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Also you DeNinny played your part!

Cool beans. I'm happy for you and appreciate that a lot.

So how are they compared to your FG59s now that you are getting used to them? Both feel and performance.

Registered Bladeocrat

They do feel a little different for sure, but both have a nice dense feel that I love, slightly different grinds and that probably that is what took me awhile to adjust to.

I am very happy to have both in my rotation!

Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

They do feel a little different for sure, but both have a nice dense feel that I love, slightly different grinds and that probably that is what took me awhile to adjust to.

I am very happy to have both in my rotation!

I have always loved the FG59 design. Even before there were BBs, the FG59 stood out as the ideal clubhead design due to it being a a compact MB head compared to all the rest. But then the BBs "stole my heart" (from a physics perspective) and so I put getting a set of FG59s on the back burner. But LOL I'm always inquiring about how they play and feel in comparison to the BBs, so thanks for sharing.

And to your point I always have to make some subtle adjustments whenever I don't play my BB sets. It's not usually AoA, though. For me it is how to exactly set the head behind the ball. Obviously the shorter head length changes how much toe is past the far side of the ball and also the bigger Miura hosels change how close you set the ball to it. So because of both these issues how address looks between a BB and any other head is different enough to notice. After a few shanks or toe hits I can fix it but again there is always an adjustment period.

So jelly that you have the two best blade designs ever. (But LOL not so much because I have my two BB sets. And my Retro TBs.)

Registered Bladeocrat

25 degrees was the point of demarcation so to speak.

https://www.usga.org...ns-answers.html

The rules apply to more than just wedges. In addition to the rules that existed prior to 2010, the revised rules apply to all new models of clubs manufactured on or after January 1, 2010, except drivers and putters. Additionally, the specifications apply to all models of clubs, regardless of vintage, when the Condition of Competition has been adopted. Among other things, the rules reduce the maximum volume of the grooves on irons, wedges, hybrids and fairway woods. The rules also place a limitation on the sharpness of groove edges on irons, wedges, hybrids and fairway woods with lofts of 25 degrees or higher.

Correct, I knew that. My doubt came in as to where my set was SL marked vs not. I just checked and the only 1957 that I have that is not SL marked is one of my 2-irons. Even my 1-iron has the SL mark. Talk about removing any doubt!

Knowing that 2 of my sets are very early CoC clubs, I'd suspect that any clubs that are not marked are not CoC. My unmarked 2-iron was purchased with one of these early sets and it's probably safe to assume that they had a few unmarked 2-irons laying around that they added to my marked set (it's highly unlikely that anybody would bend it 7+ degrees weak and actually be able to use it anyway).

Honestly, this thread alone saved my golf game...

The last 1-1.5 years has been an absolute struggle for me and golf. At my best, I was a +2 handicap and loved my MP-5's, I was playing a lot of golf and life was good. Then, I got a corporate job (Apple) and my relationship took a turn for the worse (Its much better now as I have met the girl of my dreams and have never been happier). My golf game struggled a little and I for some reason thought I couldn't play my MP-5's anymore because I wasn't playing enough. So I got a set of GI Srixons and sold the MP-5's (terrible, I know). I liked the Srixons, but I noticed how terrible some of my shots felt, especially if the lie was anything less than perfect. So, I sold those and bought a set of JPX 850 Forged, and my game felt a little more normal.

I played those for a little while, but I wasn't a fan of how they looked, and felt I was a much better ball striker with the MP-5's. Then, my relationship ended and I took 4 months off of the game and bought a fixer upper house and did a little soul searching. I got back into the game and made some swing changes and almost got back to normal. However, I still felt like I wasn't hitting the ball that well. I felt like I needed more.

This is when the s*** hit the fan. I went in and jumped on the trackman and hit all the new Mizuno stuff, PXG, TM. My numbers were best with the PXG and they felt great. Since they had reduced prices on the Gen1, I ordered a set... THEN, I clicked on this thread because the 'Baby' blade title caught my eye. I then proceeded to read nearly the entire thread, and was in love with the look of them. The posts about the physics of the smaller blade made sense to me, and I was sold without even seeing on in person. I used to play CMB's and thought they looked great and played even better, and these brought me back to that feeling. At this point, I'm still waiting for my PXG's but have almost already determined that I liked the BB's more, even though I hadn't hit one.

I jumped on eBay just to look and found a 3 iron, figured I could sell it if I didn't like it. I ordered it on Wednesday and had it Saturday, thanks Usher Golf. I went to the range and after 2 swings, I was sold. So now, I'm looking for a set of BB's and waiting for the PXG's. I figured I would hit the PXG's and see what I thought. They showed up, I looked at them at address, and already knew I wouldn't like them. My new GF convinced me to hit them, but I knew I liked the BB's more already. I found a set of mint 4-PW on eBay and had them about a week later.

Needless to say, 4 rounds later, the PXG's are for sale and my golf game is almost back to normal (I gave the PXG's a fair shot, but they don't compare). I've played a few rounds so far and my ball striking has been amazing, every shot feels so good. My last 3 rounds have been 74,74,75 and life is much, much better.

So, to everyone that posts in this thread, THANK YOU. I live in Sacramento, CA, if any of you BB enthusiasts are in the area, lets play a game and I'll buy you beer.

Honestly, this thread alone saved my golf game...

The last 1-1.5 years has been an absolute struggle for me and golf. At my best, I was a +2 handicap and loved my MP-5's, I was playing a lot of golf and life was good. Then, I got a corporate job (Apple) and my relationship took a turn for the worse (Its much better now as I have met the girl of my dreams and have never been happier). My golf game struggled a little and I for some reason thought I couldn't play my MP-5's anymore because I wasn't playing enough. So I got a set of GI Srixons and sold the MP-5's (terrible, I know). I liked the Srixons, but I noticed how terrible some of my shots felt, especially if the lie was anything less than perfect. So, I sold those and bought a set of JPX 850 Forged, and my game felt a little more normal.

I played those for a little while, but I wasn't a fan of how they looked, and felt I was a much better ball striker with the MP-5's. Then, my relationship ended and I took 4 months off of the game and bought a fixer upper house and did a little soul searching. I got back into the game and made some swing changes and almost got back to normal. However, I still felt like I wasn't hitting the ball that well. I felt like I needed more.

This is when the s*** hit the fan. I went in and jumped on the trackman and hit all the new Mizuno stuff, PXG, TM. My numbers were best with the PXG and they felt great. Since they had reduced prices on the Gen1, I ordered a set... THEN, I clicked on this thread because the 'Baby' blade title caught my eye. I then proceeded to read nearly the entire thread, and was in love with the look of them. The posts about the physics of the smaller blade made sense to me, and I was sold without even seeing on in person. I used to play CMB's and thought they looked great and played even better, and these brought me back to that feeling. At this point, I'm still waiting for my PXG's but have almost already determined that I liked the BB's more, even though I hadn't hit one.

I jumped on eBay just to look and found a 3 iron, figured I could sell it if I didn't like it. I ordered it on Wednesday and had it Saturday, thanks Usher Golf. I went to the range and after 2 swings, I was sold. So now, I'm looking for a set of BB's and waiting for the PXG's. I figured I would hit the PXG's and see what I thought. They showed up, I looked at them at address, and already knew I wouldn't like them. My new GF convinced me to hit them, but I knew I liked the BB's more already. I found a set of mint 4-PW on eBay and had them about a week later.

Needless to say, 4 rounds later, the PXG's are for sale and my golf game is almost back to normal (I gave the PXG's a fair shot, but they don't compare). I've played a few rounds so far and my ball striking has been amazing, every shot feels so good. My last 3 rounds have been 74,74,75 and life is much, much better.

So, to everyone that posts in this thread, THANK YOU. I live in Sacramento, CA, if any of you BB enthusiasts are in the area, lets play a game and I'll buy you beer.

Great post. I love how you came to your BB enlightenment. There is no benefit to "forgiveness". It's a technical carney sham!

I am up in Portland and if I get down to Sacramento to play I will pm you. Please do the same if you come out here. I feel a camaraderie with any BB player. We are the unicorn riders!

My game and swing has hit an all time low for the season, so yesterday I was on the range working out my swing issues. I was by myself at one corner of the range and one of the groundskeepers was walking by and he did a doubletake when he saw my clubs. "Wow those are some beautiful irons," he said. I told him the usual (...best...clubs...ever...) and we proceeded to have a technical discussion. He was a fellow blade player and was on board with all my explanations. This is the third time this year now where a random stranger has stopped and complimented me on my bag. It never happens with any other sets. Only when I'm bagging my BBs.

Registered Bladeocrat

Ninja good to hear from you again--- Glad you get the positive compliments on the BBs---- All I hear is "what are those old blades?" "Man those are old!!" "Why do you play those things?" My standard answer "because I can still hit them"

Going out to the range this morning (finally after all the hurricane crap) been dying to try a set of Slazenger Crown Sterling blades my friend and fellow WRXer Old School Rocker gave me.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Ninja good to hear from you again--- Glad you get the positive compliments on the BBs---- All I hear is "what are those old blades?" "Man those are old!!" "Why do you play those things?" My standard answer "because I can still hit them"

Going out to the range this morning (finally after all the hurricane crap) been dying to try a set of Slazenger Crown Sterling blades my friend and fellow WRXer Old School Rocker gave me.

Master BIG STU it is good to hear you survived Florence. I was going to send you a PM but nevermind.

LOL you know the reason you can still hit those old blades is because they are technically superior to anything "forgiving". That's what I always tell folks that inquire about my BBs.

Hope you don't need your waders out on the range. My tribute to all those affected by Florence:

Registered Bladeocrat

• 2 weeks later...

Rebby, I've got extras of the BB should you want/need. :D

He has more than one set already, cause he sucks. ;)

Settle down, I only have 3 sets of BBs at the moment.

Built for a friend in the Great White North. Shimada Tour with Grip Master. I may do a very similar build with mine.

Looks like a great build. Why the one-off grip on the 6-iron?