Taylormade P790 Irons

Comments

• SMUGamerSMUGamer Members Posts: 531 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

cardia10 wrote:
    After their fees and PayPal fees and running the risk of a crazy buyer, Id prefer to take my chances here but the demand just isn’t here.

I was just stating what they were selling for which means someone is paying it and there is a demand. I prefer to use eBay as a last resort for selling myself but that’s a moot issue. I’m pretty sure there is demand here too just not for a set with PX 6.5s.
    PX 6.5's are my favorite shaft on the planet. Most accurate iron shaft I've ever played (and I've played them all) - loving them in my Srixons and will be ordering them in my 785's when released.

Well I know somebody that’s has a set of P790’s with them in it.
    Appreciate the thought, BiggErn but ill have to pass. Sticking with Srixon's until there are true enhancements.
  • tpup21tpup21 Members Posts: 8
    SMUGamer wrote:

OK, I think P790's are the most popular clubs on the BST - get 'em while you can folks!!! image/superman.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman:' /> image/stop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stop:' />

SMU....jealousy is a bad emotion, once you get beyond your teen years, you will understand.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,454 ✭✭
    SMUGamer wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

cardia10 wrote:
    After their fees and PayPal fees and running the risk of a crazy buyer, Id prefer to take my chances here but the demand just isn’t here.

I was just stating what they were selling for which means someone is paying it and there is a demand. I prefer to use eBay as a last resort for selling myself but that’s a moot issue. I’m pretty sure there is demand here too just not for a set with PX 6.5s.
    PX 6.5's are my favorite shaft on the planet. Most accurate iron shaft I've ever played (and I've played them all) - loving them in my Srixons and will be ordering them in my 785's when released.

Well I know somebody that’s has a set of P790’s with them in it.
    Appreciate the thought, BiggErn but ill have to pass. Sticking with Srixon's until there are true enhancements.

Nothing wrong with Srixons. Never had any but they remind me a lot of Bridgestone.
    tpup21 wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

OK, I think P790's are the most popular clubs on the BST - get 'em while you can folks!!! image/superman.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman:' /> image/stop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stop:' />

SMU....jealousy is a bad emotion, once you get beyond your teen years, you will understand.
    Thanks for the wise words, pup. Especially glad we brought you out of your hibernation/shell since 2008 to make just your 2nd post. Welcome! ��
  • PracticeAprlPracticeAprl Members Posts: 65
    Same for me I was hitting them straight but distances were off. I was shooting worse scores.

Got a set of p770 and I don’t hit them quite as far but I am hitting almost every green. I find the p770 just as forgiving but not as hot off the face

These have been out of the bag for a few weeks now as I've gone back to my 501s. I found the distances more inconsistent the more I used these. Was striping them straight, but pin high began tougher and tougher to hit. From 150 yards out I'd be able to get a PW there, but also a 9 iron, it was very weird. Very easy to catch the hot spot. Plus I found a massive gap between the shortest iron and wedge.

Still fantastic irons though, a buddy of mine is using them and his handicap has dropped significantly since bagging them. Just not for me I guess...
  • Bimmer1Bimmer1 Members Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

Quick question for those of you whom gamed or have hit the 2014 Callaway Apex irons:

-Are these easier, or harder to hit when compared?

-How is the feel compared to both of these?

Thanks!

I have 2014 Apex irons in my bag now along with a P790 3 iron and approach wedge. I think they feel about the same. Don’t expect a true forged feel from either. Personally, I prefer the Apex and Apex CF16 irons over an entire set of P790’s. Folks talk about fliers and distance control issues with both sets but since I am a high spin player I have no issues stopping the Apex irons on the green.
  • RodCRodC Members Posts: 358 ✭✭
    SMUGamer wrote:

RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

cardia10 wrote:

As a single digit player, iron play is not usually a weak point. On course, I usually hit an AP2 7 iron 170 carry. The P790s carried 170-195 with same impact location hitting approach shots and tee shots on a par 3. I thought it was just me, so paid for a Trackan session. It 100% confirmed that I was hitting center face with same swing speed and had 20 yard differences in the same iron. My set will be listed on BST tonight. 4-AW Project X 6.5. They will be the most consistent or most inconsistent based on what you read here. I'll play my old Scratch blades and know exactly how far they will go for me.
    Exactly. I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen.

I found that many of these folks, that "defend" the 790 are real users, while many that worry about inconsistency are referrals!

Also, these are near GI irons category. There are (in TaylorMade) 3-4 iron series (770, 750, 730) offered for better payers. So it is understandable that better players would prefer these other options, blades. I assume they would also complain about M3/M4 inconsistency
    Says the fella that "benched" his P790's back in March of this year (see sig block - WITB), so that he could play some real irons - Mizzy's. Good choice by the way, Mizzy's have great distance control you can count on.

RodC (WITB):

"Ping G400 Alta CB, R Shaft

M2 3 Wood

TM SLDR 4 Hybrid

4-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag

4-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench

Cleveland RX2 50/08

Vokey SM6 raw 54 & 58/08"

Yes exactly. The Mizuno are great consistency and the irons I love most. But that doesn’t mean the 790 are bad or unplayable. And I haven’t experienced the inconsistency mentioned, not that there isn’t but I’m sure it’s noticeable by very good players only that should use other irons than 790

SMUGamer wrote:

RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

cardia10 wrote:

As a single digit player, iron play is not usually a weak point. On course, I usually hit an AP2 7 iron 170 carry. The P790s carried 170-195 with same impact location hitting approach shots and tee shots on a par 3. I thought it was just me, so paid for a Trackan session. It 100% confirmed that I was hitting center face with same swing speed and had 20 yard differences in the same iron. My set will be listed on BST tonight. 4-AW Project X 6.5. They will be the most consistent or most inconsistent based on what you read here. I'll play my old Scratch blades and know exactly how far they will go for me.
    Exactly. I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen.

I found that many of these folks, that "defend" the 790 are real users, while many that worry about inconsistency are referrals!

Also, these are near GI irons category. There are (in TaylorMade) 3-4 iron series (770, 750, 730) offered for better payers. So it is understandable that better players would prefer these other options, blades. I assume they would also complain about M3/M4 inconsistency
    Says the fella that "benched" his P790's back in March of this year (see sig block - WITB), so that he could play some real irons - Mizzy's. Good choice by the way, Mizzy's have great distance control you can count on.

RodC (WITB):

"Ping G400 Alta CB, R Shaft

M2 3 Wood

TM SLDR 4 Hybrid

4-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag

4-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench

Cleveland RX2 50/08

Vokey SM6 raw 54 & 58/08"

Yes exactly. The Mizuno are great consistency and the irons I love most. But that doesn’t mean the 790 are bad or unplayable. And I haven’t experienced the inconsistency mentioned, not that there isn’t but I’m sure it’s noticeable by very good players only that should use other irons than 790
    Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter
  • SnipermanSniperman Members Posts: 2,011 ✭✭
    Almost two months playing these irons and have yet to notice any inconsistencies. As a matter of fact, I played back to back rounds at Eagle Glen last Friday and I remember playing the same irons on my approaches where I found the fairway. Most notably, when I was on #8 par 3, 164 yards, I hit the same iron first and second rounds and came up pin high both times. Maybe it's just that particular iron that is consistent in the set!

The only reason I am going to return at my shop is so I can repurchase at the used price and earn some credit! LOL!!
    M2 Atmos Black

M2 Speeder

Ping G Tensei Blue

p790 Modus 130

O-Works Red 7s
    Z Star XV
    The worst part about placing an order.......waiting
  • swizbeatzswizbeatz Members Posts: 5,645 ✭✭
    I think whoever said it earlier was spot on, these probably work really well for medium to high spin players but some low spin players may not get along as well. I’ve been testing since seeing a lot of them in bags at my state Am but as a low spin guy I see some inconsistencies in distance.
    Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link
  • Gamble GambleGamble Gamble #TwistFaceExperience ClubWRX Posts: 3,567 ClubWRX
    edited Aug 7, 2018 #3402
    SMUGamer wrote:

cardia10 wrote:

No luck on BST with mine either....to be such awesome irons, selling them for $500-600 below retail isn't doing much good. I hate dealing with eBay though!
    Yeah, this says it all - action speaks louder than words (or the proof in the puddin' as they say). If these irons were all some folks said they were, nobody would have to sell them (in mint condition) and lose around half their money. The market knows all and it appears the market has taken its position on these irons which is perfectly consistent with our position.

You are making anecdotal comments without having the full data set. This iron had such high demand they were back ordered for months. It is likely that there may still be the same % of people that are reselling their P790s as compared to other irons but due to high initial sales number the current market may seem saturated with resellers.

swizbeatz wrote:

I think whoever said it earlier was spot on, these probably work really well for medium to high spin players but some low spin players may not get along as well. I've been testing since seeing a lot of them in bags at my state Am but as a low spin guy I see some inconsistencies in distance.

I am typically a high spin player with irons and these fit me very well. I would love to see a comparison with multiple high-spin/low-spin test subjects regarding this.
  • cardia10cardia10 Members Posts: 2,457 ✭✭
    I am typically a high spin player with irons and these fit me very well. I would love to see a comparison with multiple high-spin/low-spin test subjects regarding this.

SMUGamer wrote:

cardia10 wrote:

No luck on BST with mine either....to be such awesome irons, selling them for $500-600 below retail isn't doing much good. I hate dealing with eBay though!
    Yeah, this says it all - action speaks louder than words (or the proof in the puddin' as they say). If these irons were all some folks said they were, nobody would have to sell them (in mint condition) and lose around half their money. The market knows all and it appears the market has taken its position on these irons which is perfectly consistent with our position.

You are making anecdotal comments without having the full data set. This iron had such high demand they were back ordered for months. It is likely that there may still be the same % of people that are reselling their P790s as compared to other irons but due to high initial sales number the current market may seem saturated with resellers.

swizbeatz wrote:

I think whoever said it earlier was spot on, these probably work really well for medium to high spin players but some low spin players may not get along as well. I've been testing since seeing a lot of them in bags at my state Am but as a low spin guy I see some inconsistencies in distance.

I will say that I am typically a low spin player so that could be some of my issues with them.

I will say that I am more of a low spin player so that could be some of the issue for me I guess.
  • Axman55Axman55 Members Posts: 347 ✭✭
    swizbeatz wrote:

I think whoever said it earlier was spot on, these probably work really well for medium to high spin players but some low spin players may not get along as well. I’ve been testing since seeing a lot of them in bags at my state Am but as a low spin guy I see some inconsistencies in distance.

It was me😃. Still love mine. Always been a high spin player and these seem to kill it.

Just a comment:

It’s insane how many trolls have invaded this thread. They weren’t for you, they didn’t work for you, we get it move along....

I hit the AP2s and think they are absolute garbage, yet I don’t feel the urge to go into that thread and do 20 post saying the exact same thing. I am sorry that these golf clubs didn’t work for you and that fighting with random strangers on the internet about golf equipment brings you so much joy.
    Cobra F9 Tensei Pro White 70TX
    Titleist 917 F3 13.5 Tensei Pro White 80TX
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Accra TZ6 85X
    Srixon 785 4-PW CTaper
    Vokey SM6 52F CTaper
    Vokey SM6 58L (bent to 57) & 62M TT Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,333 ✭✭
    trolling and reporting an issue is whole different story.

If I was a potential buyer, I'd appreciate the warnings.
    Axman55 wrote:
    swizbeatz wrote:

It was me�. Still love mine. Always been a high spin player and these seem to kill it.

Just a comment:

It’s insane how many trolls have invaded this thread. They weren’t for you, they didn’t work for you, we get it move along....

I hit the AP2s and think they are absolute garbage, yet I don’t feel the urge to go into that thread and do 20 post saying the exact same thing. I am sorry that these golf clubs didn’t work for you and that fighting with random strangers on the internet about golf equipment brings you so much joy.

Someone started a thread wanting to know how they compared size wise. I had looked at both like the day before and said they were identical in length heel to toe with the P790 bing a little thicker on the topline. Some argued the P790 was massively larger. I went back and took pics and they still denied it. Crazy how some people get so stubborn on golf related things and ignore actual facts.
    edited Aug 7, 2018 #3407
    larciel wrote:

Exactly, some here only want one side of the true story told - their side, of course. Many folks, very much appreciate the warnings and the fact that these irons have serious distance issues being brought to light so that others benefit. This is a more important topic than just ONE particular set of clubs because this has the new hollow technology on the line. Anyways, keep on posting ALL of your experiences and just ignore the true trolls.
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,333 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

Axman55 wrote:
    swizbeatz wrote:

It was me�. Still love mine. Always been a high spin player and these seem to kill it.

Just a comment:

Someone started a thread wanting to know how they compared size wise. I had looked at both like the day before and said they were identical in length heel to toe with the P790 bing a little thicker on the topline. Some argued the P790 was massively larger. I went back and took pics and they still denied it. Crazy how some people get so stubborn on golf related things and ignore actual facts.

p790 is not massively larger, but it is considerably larger than ap2. I have both.
    larciel wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

Axman55 wrote:
    swizbeatz wrote:

Just a comment:

p790 is not massively larger, but it is considerably larger than ap2. I have both.

I’ll accept that. The exact measurement I’m talking of was blade length. They looked identical to me. I’ll take my calipers to the golf shop next time.
    SMUGamer wrote:

larciel wrote:

Exactly, some here only want one side of the true story told - their side, of course. Many folks, very much appreciate the warnings and the fact that these irons have serious distance issues being brought to light so that others benefit. This is a more important topic than just ONE particular set of clubs because this has the new hollow technology on the line. Anyways, keep on posting ALL of your experiences and just ignore the true trolls.

IIUC you haven't even played these clubs, and made comments like UNPLAYABLE clubs.

To me that is not very helpful to others.
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    Cleveland RX2 50/08

• bogey777bogey777 Members Posts: 106 ✭✭
    Axman55 wrote:

swizbeatz wrote:

It was me��. Still love mine. Always been a high spin player and these seem to kill it.

Just a comment:

It's insane how many trolls have invaded this thread. They weren't for you, they didn't work for you, we get it move along....

I hit the AP2s and think they are absolute garbage, yet I don't feel the urge to go into that thread and do 20 post saying the exact same thing. I am sorry that these golf clubs didn't work for you and that fighting with random strangers on the internet about golf equipment brings you so much joy.
    Seriously if you have something positive or some knowledge useful in a thread by all means speak up if your here just to bash a product .....go in the BATHROOM
    swizbeatz wrote:

I can report that I'm a high spin player and so far have not experienced any inconsistencies with the 790
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    Cleveland RX2 50/08

edited Aug 7, 2018 #3413
    RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

larciel wrote:

IIUC you haven't even played these clubs, and made comments like UNPLAYABLE clubs.

I have played the clubs and have already stated that. If you'd taken time to read the comments versus making unfounded assumptions (which says something about you) then you wouldn't look so ignorant now. Furthermore, it was one our TOP CLUB FITTERS here in SoCal that made the statement ("P790's are UNPLAYABLE because of the distance control issues") directly to me. Its laughable how those still playing these things take it personal when the true insight is coming from someone that spends more hours studying/working/applying this stuff than ALL of us combined. Look, I understand some don't want negative info on these clubs getting out so they can unload them on some unknowing poor soul.
    SMUGamer wrote:

RodC wrote:

I have played the clubs and have already stated that. If you'd taken time to read the comments versus making unfounded assumptions (which says something about you) then you wouldn't look so ignorant now.

In that case, I'm sorry.

I just read at this post,

SMUGamer wrote:

TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    Cleveland RX2 50/08

• Double DutchDouble Dutch Members Posts: 561 ✭✭
    SMUGamer wrote:

RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

larciel wrote:

I have played the clubs and have already stated that. If you'd taken time to read the comments versus making unfounded assumptions (which says something about you) then you wouldn't look so ignorant now. Furthermore, it was one our TOP CLUB FITTERS here in SoCal that made the statement ("P790's are UNPLAYABLE because of the distance control issues") directly to me. Its laughable how those still playing these things take it personal when the true insight is coming from someone that spends more hours studying/working/applying this stuff than ALL of us combined. Look, I understand some don't want negative info on these clubs getting out so they can unload them on some unknowing poor soul.

Can you please go and troll another thread? I was really enjoying this one before you joined.
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
    Taylormade M1 3HL
    Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
    Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport original
    edited Aug 7, 2018 #3416

SMUGamer wrote:

RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

larciel wrote:

Can you please go and troll another thread? I was really enjoying this one before you joined.
    Another troll with nothing to offer AND, we see he's playing Callaways, NOT P790's. Please direct me to your MAJOR contributions to this thread???
    RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

RodC wrote:

I have played the clubs and have already stated that. If you'd taken time to read the comments versus making unfounded assumptions (which says something about you) then you wouldn't look so ignorant now.

In that case, I'm sorry.

I just read at this post,

SMUGamer wrote:

Apology accepted. Thanks, RodC!
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members Posts: 2,004 ✭✭
    edited Aug 8, 2018 #3418
    Just survived a HOT round in Chandler AZ at Cattails at Whirlwind (a Troon Golf Property) and was the first official round with my P790's. I am giving them an A+ for the distance improvement over my previous JPX900 Forged irons. These play a good 1/2 to full club longer and could be the shafts fit me better a bit. I went from PXLZ6.0 in the 900's to Modus 130S straight in the P790's and loving the feel. I think as much as they feel and sound great, I was most surprised with how forgiving they were on slightly off center toe strikes! Some more range time and rounds will really dial these in for me on my quest to get into single digit handy.

Edited for Spelling
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Mizuno JPX919F 4-9iron Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX919T PW Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedges 50&56/ Modus 120S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC

• chisagchisag Members Posts: 2,988 ✭✭

SMUGamer wrote:

RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

larciel wrote:

... Just put him on ignore, it makes the thread so much more enjoyable. Plenty have made negative comments about these irons without being a complete d!ck. We are grown men talking about golf equipment, usually in a civilized and congenial manner. Those that are not are simply a waste of time, unless you enjoy juvenile banter.
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Atmos Blue TS 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Tailor-made RBZ Tour 18.5 and 21.5 hybrid ... Matrix Altus 85s
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90hy
    4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
    edited Aug 7, 2018 #3420
    Please point to my comments that fit your description? Yeah, you can't. Go away, ChiZAG (Mr. P790 promoter)!
  • SlamminSamuelSlamminSamuel Members Posts: 15
    evoviiiyou wrote:
    Just survived a HOT round in Chandler AZ at Cattails at Whirlwind (a Troon Golf Property) and was the first official round with my P790's. I am giving them an A+ for the distance improvement over my previous JPX900 Forged irons. These play a good 1/2 to full club anger and could be the shafts fit me better a bit. I went from PXLZ6.0 in the 900's to Modus 130S straight in the P790's and loving the feel. I think as much as they feel and sound great, I was most surprised with how forgiving they were on slightly off center toe strikes! Some more range time and rounds will really dial these in for me on my quest to get into single digit handy.

Aye! Single digit handy, the ultimate goal!
    TM Aeroburner Driver - 10.5
    TM Rocketballz 3W - 15
    TM SLDR 4H - 21
    TM 2011 Rescue - 23.5
    Ping S55 Orange Dot
    Mizuno Bettinardi C-02 33.5"