Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

They were bought en masses by GolfWRX’ers who are square in the P790 target demographic. Had to have them the moment they came out.

Now the market is flooded. Used pricing will take a hit, no doubt. Happens all the time with trendy Callaway or Taylormade releases that generate a lot of buzz here and on other forums.

After their fees and PayPal fees and running the risk of a crazy buyer, Id prefer to take my chances here but the demand just isnt here.

I was just stating what they were selling for which means someone is paying it and there is a demand. I prefer to use eBay as a last resort for selling myself but that’s a moot issue. I’m pretty sure there is demand here too just not for a set with PX 6.5s.

They were bought en masses by GolfWRX’ers who are square in the P790 target demographic. Had to have them the moment they came out.

Now the market is flooded. Used pricing will take a hit, no doubt. Happens all the time with trendy Callaway or Taylormade releases that generate a lot of buzz here and on other forums.

Yeah, be like Warren Buffet and run in the opposite direction of the herd!

After their fees and PayPal fees and running the risk of a crazy buyer, Id prefer to take my chances here but the demand just isn’t here.

I was just stating what they were selling for which means someone is paying it and there is a demand. I prefer to use eBay as a last resort for selling myself but that’s a moot issue. I’m pretty sure there is demand here too just not for a set with PX 6.5s.

PX 6.5's are my favorite shaft on the planet. Most accurate iron shaft I've ever played (and I've played them all) - loving them in my Srixons and will be ordering them in my 785's when released.

After their fees and PayPal fees and running the risk of a crazy buyer, Id prefer to take my chances here but the demand just isn’t here.

PX 6.5's are my favorite shaft on the planet. Most accurate iron shaft I've ever played (and I've played them all) - loving them in my Srixons and will be ordering them in my 785's when released.

Well I know somebody that’s has a set of P790’s with them in it.

Appreciate the thought, BiggErn but ill have to pass. Sticking with Srixon's until there are true enhancements.

Appreciate the thought, BiggErn but ill have to pass. Sticking with Srixon's until there are true enhancements.

Nothing wrong with Srixons. Never had any but they remind me a lot of Bridgestone.

OK, I think P790's are the most popular clubs on the BST - get 'em while you can folks!!! :superman: :stop:

SMU....jealousy is a bad emotion, once you get beyond your teen years, you will understand.

Thanks for the wise words, pup. Especially glad we brought you out of your hibernation/shell since 2008 to make just your 2nd post. Welcome!

Same for me I was hitting them straight but distances were off. I was shooting worse scores.

Got a set of p770 and I don’t hit them quite as far but I am hitting almost every green. I find the p770 just as forgiving but not as hot off the face

These have been out of the bag for a few weeks now as I've gone back to my 501s. I found the distances more inconsistent the more I used these. Was striping them straight, but pin high began tougher and tougher to hit. From 150 yards out I'd be able to get a PW there, but also a 9 iron, it was very weird. Very easy to catch the hot spot. Plus I found a massive gap between the shortest iron and wedge.

Still fantastic irons though, a buddy of mine is using them and his handicap has dropped significantly since bagging them. Just not for me I guess...

Quick question for those of you whom gamed or have hit the 2014 Callaway Apex irons:

-Are these easier, or harder to hit when compared?

-How is the feel compared to both of these?

Thanks!

I have 2014 Apex irons in my bag now along with a P790 3 iron and approach wedge. I think they feel about the same. Don’t expect a true forged feel from either. Personally, I prefer the Apex and Apex CF16 irons over an entire set of P790’s. Folks talk about fliers and distance control issues with both sets but since I am a high spin player I have no issues stopping the Apex irons on the green.

As a single digit player, iron play is not usually a weak point. On course, I usually hit an AP2 7 iron 170 carry. The P790s carried 170-195 with same impact location hitting approach shots and tee shots on a par 3. I thought it was just me, so paid for a Trackan session. It 100% confirmed that I was hitting center face with same swing speed and had 20 yard differences in the same iron. My set will be listed on BST tonight. 4-AW Project X 6.5. They will be the most consistent or most inconsistent based on what you read here. I'll play my old Scratch blades and know exactly how far they will go for me.

Exactly. I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen.

I found that many of these folks, that "defend" the 790 are real users, while many that worry about inconsistency are referrals!

Also, these are near GI irons category. There are (in TaylorMade) 3-4 iron series (770, 750, 730) offered for better payers. So it is understandable that better players would prefer these other options, blades. I assume they would also complain about M3/M4 inconsistency

Says the fella that "benched" his P790's back in March of this year (see sig block - WITB), so that he could play some real irons - Mizzy's. Good choice by the way, Mizzy's have great distance control you can count on.

RodC (WITB):

"Ping G400 Alta CB, R Shaft

M2 3 Wood

TM SLDR 4 Hybrid

4-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag

4-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench

Cleveland RX2 50/08

Vokey SM6 raw 54 & 58/08"

Yes exactly. The Mizuno are great consistency and the irons I love most. But that doesn’t mean the 790 are bad or unplayable. And I haven’t experienced the inconsistency mentioned, not that there isn’t but I’m sure it’s noticeable by very good players only that should use other irons than 790

As a single digit player, iron play is not usually a weak point. On course, I usually hit an AP2 7 iron 170 carry. The P790s carried 170-195 with same impact location hitting approach shots and tee shots on a par 3. I thought it was just me, so paid for a Trackan session. It 100% confirmed that I was hitting center face with same swing speed and had 20 yard differences in the same iron. My set will be listed on BST tonight. 4-AW Project X 6.5. They will be the most consistent or most inconsistent based on what you read here. I'll play my old Scratch blades and know exactly how far they will go for me.

Exactly. I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen.

I found that many of these folks, that "defend" the 790 are real users, while many that worry about inconsistency are referrals!

Also, these are near GI irons category. There are (in TaylorMade) 3-4 iron series (770, 750, 730) offered for better payers. So it is understandable that better players would prefer these other options, blades. I assume they would also complain about M3/M4 inconsistency

Says the fella that "benched" his P790's back in March of this year (see sig block - WITB), so that he could play some real irons - Mizzy's. Good choice by the way, Mizzy's have great distance control you can count on.

RodC (WITB):

"Ping G400 Alta CB, R Shaft

M2 3 Wood

TM SLDR 4 Hybrid

4-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag

4-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench

Cleveland RX2 50/08

Vokey SM6 raw 54 & 58/08"

Yes exactly. The Mizuno are great consistency and the irons I love most. But that doesn’t mean the 790 are bad or unplayable. And I haven’t experienced the inconsistency mentioned, not that there isn’t but I’m sure it’s noticeable by very good players only that should use other irons than 790

Almost two months playing these irons and have yet to notice any inconsistencies. As a matter of fact, I played back to back rounds at Eagle Glen last Friday and I remember playing the same irons on my approaches where I found the fairway. Most notably, when I was on #8 par 3, 164 yards, I hit the same iron first and second rounds and came up pin high both times. Maybe it's just that particular iron that is consistent in the set!

The only reason I am going to return at my shop is so I can repurchase at the used price and earn some credit! LOL!!

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

I think whoever said it earlier was spot on, these probably work really well for medium to high spin players but some low spin players may not get along as well. I’ve been testing since seeing a lot of them in bags at my state Am but as a low spin guy I see some inconsistencies in distance.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

No luck on BST with mine either....to be such awesome irons, selling them for $500-600 below retail isn't doing much good. I hate dealing with eBay though!

Yeah, this says it all - action speaks louder than words (or the proof in the puddin' as they say). If these irons were all some folks said they were, nobody would have to sell them (in mint condition) and lose around half their money. The market knows all and it appears the market has taken its position on these irons which is perfectly consistent with our position.

You are making anecdotal comments without having the full data set. This iron had such high demand they were back ordered for months. It is likely that there may still be the same % of people that are reselling their P790s as compared to other irons but due to high initial sales number the current market may seem saturated with resellers.

I think whoever said it earlier was spot on, these probably work really well for medium to high spin players but some low spin players may not get along as well. I've been testing since seeing a lot of them in bags at my state Am but as a low spin guy I see some inconsistencies in distance.

I am typically a high spin player with irons and these fit me very well. I would love to see a comparison with multiple high-spin/low-spin test subjects regarding this.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

I am typically a high spin player with irons and these fit me very well. I would love to see a comparison with multiple high-spin/low-spin test subjects regarding this.

No luck on BST with mine either....to be such awesome irons, selling them for $500-600 below retail isn't doing much good. I hate dealing with eBay though!

Yeah, this says it all - action speaks louder than words (or the proof in the puddin' as they say). If these irons were all some folks said they were, nobody would have to sell them (in mint condition) and lose around half their money. The market knows all and it appears the market has taken its position on these irons which is perfectly consistent with our position.

You are making anecdotal comments without having the full data set. This iron had such high demand they were back ordered for months. It is likely that there may still be the same % of people that are reselling their P790s as compared to other irons but due to high initial sales number the current market may seem saturated with resellers.

I think whoever said it earlier was spot on, these probably work really well for medium to high spin players but some low spin players may not get along as well. I've been testing since seeing a lot of them in bags at my state Am but as a low spin guy I see some inconsistencies in distance.

I will say that I am typically a low spin player so that could be some of my issues with them.

I will say that I am more of a low spin player so that could be some of the issue for me I guess.

I think whoever said it earlier was spot on, these probably work really well for medium to high spin players but some low spin players may not get along as well. I’ve been testing since seeing a lot of them in bags at my state Am but as a low spin guy I see some inconsistencies in distance.

It was me?. Still love mine. Always been a high spin player and these seem to kill it.

Just a comment:

It’s insane how many trolls have invaded this thread. They weren’t for you, they didn’t work for you, we get it move along....

I hit the AP2s and think they are absolute garbage, yet I don’t feel the urge to go into that thread and do 20 post saying the exact same thing. I am sorry that these golf clubs didn’t work for you and that fighting with random strangers on the internet about golf equipment brings you so much joy.

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Ventus Black 6X (green dot adapter set to 7*)

Maverik Sub Zero 13.5 Ventus Blue 7X

Apex UW 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Callaway X Forged 4-PW Modus 125X

Apex MB Gap Wedge  50* Modus 125X

Vokey 56S & 60L TT Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport

I think whoever said it earlier was spot on, these probably work really well for medium to high spin players but some low spin players may not get along as well. Ive been testing since seeing a lot of them in bags at my state Am but as a low spin guy I see some inconsistencies in distance.

It was me. Still love mine. Always been a high spin player and these seem to kill it.

Just a comment:

Its insane how many trolls have invaded this thread. They werent for you, they didnt work for you, we get it move along....

I hit the AP2s and think they are absolute garbage, yet I dont feel the urge to go into that thread and do 20 post saying the exact same thing. I am sorry that these golf clubs didnt work for you and that fighting with random strangers on the internet about golf equipment brings you so much joy.

Someone started a thread wanting to know how they compared size wise. I had looked at both like the day before and said they were identical in length heel to toe with the P790 bing a little thicker on the topline. Some argued the P790 was massively larger. I went back and took pics and they still denied it. Crazy how some people get so stubborn on golf related things and ignore actual facts.

trolling and reporting an issue is whole different story.

If I was a potential buyer, I'd appreciate the warnings.

Exactly, some here only want one side of the true story told - their side, of course. Many folks, very much appreciate the warnings and the fact that these irons have serious distance issues being brought to light so that others benefit. This is a more important topic than just ONE particular set of clubs because this has the new hollow technology on the line. Anyways, keep on posting ALL of your experiences and just ignore the true trolls.

It was me. Still love mine. Always been a high spin player and these seem to kill it.

Just a comment:

It’s insane how many trolls have invaded this thread. They weren’t for you, they didn’t work for you, we get it move along....

I hit the AP2s and think they are absolute garbage, yet I don’t feel the urge to go into that thread and do 20 post saying the exact same thing. I am sorry that these golf clubs didn’t work for you and that fighting with random strangers on the internet about golf equipment brings you so much joy.

Someone started a thread wanting to know how they compared size wise. I had looked at both like the day before and said they were identical in length heel to toe with the P790 bing a little thicker on the topline. Some argued the P790 was massively larger. I went back and took pics and they still denied it. Crazy how some people get so stubborn on golf related things and ignore actual facts.

p790 is not massively larger, but it is considerably larger than ap2. I have both.

Just a comment:

p790 is not massively larger, but it is considerably larger than ap2. I have both.

I’ll accept that. The exact measurement I’m talking of was blade length. They looked identical to me. I’ll take my calipers to the golf shop next time.

Exactly, some here only want one side of the true story told - their side, of course. Many folks, very much appreciate the warnings and the fact that these irons have serious distance issues being brought to light so that others benefit. This is a more important topic than just ONE particular set of clubs because this has the new hollow technology on the line. Anyways, keep on posting ALL of your experiences and just ignore the true trolls.

IIUC you haven't even played these clubs, and made comments like UNPLAYABLE clubs.

To me that is not very helpful to others.

Just a comment:

It's insane how many trolls have invaded this thread. They weren't for you, they didn't work for you, we get it move along....

I hit the AP2s and think they are absolute garbage, yet I don't feel the urge to go into that thread and do 20 post saying the exact same thing. I am sorry that these golf clubs didn't work for you and that fighting with random strangers on the internet about golf equipment brings you so much joy.

Seriously if you have something positive or some knowledge useful in a thread by all means speak up if your here just to bash a product .....go in the BATHROOM

I can report that I'm a high spin player and so far have not experienced any inconsistencies with the 790

IIUC you haven't even played these clubs, and made comments like UNPLAYABLE clubs.

I have played the clubs and have already stated that. If you'd taken time to read the comments versus making unfounded assumptions (which says something about you) then you wouldn't look so ignorant now. Furthermore, it was one our TOP CLUB FITTERS here in SoCal that made the statement ("P790's are UNPLAYABLE because of the distance control issues") directly to me. Its laughable how those still playing these things take it personal when the true insight is coming from someone that spends more hours studying/working/applying this stuff than ALL of us combined. Look, I understand some don't want negative info on these clubs getting out so they can unload them on some unknowing poor soul.

I have played the clubs and have already stated that. If you'd taken time to read the comments versus making unfounded assumptions (which says something about you) then you wouldn't look so ignorant now.

In that case, I'm sorry.

I just read at this post,

I have played the clubs and have already stated that. If you'd taken time to read the comments versus making unfounded assumptions (which says something about you) then you wouldn't look so ignorant now. Furthermore, it was one our TOP CLUB FITTERS here in SoCal that made the statement ("P790's are UNPLAYABLE because of the distance control issues") directly to me. Its laughable how those still playing these things take it personal when the true insight is coming from someone that spends more hours studying/working/applying this stuff than ALL of us combined. Look, I understand some don't want negative info on these clubs getting out so they can unload them on some unknowing poor soul.

Can you please go and troll another thread? I was really enjoying this one before you joined.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

Can you please go and troll another thread? I was really enjoying this one before you joined.

Another troll with nothing to offer AND, we see he's playing Callaways, NOT P790's. Please direct me to your MAJOR contributions to this thread???