Taylormade P790 Irons

Comments

• RodCRodC  358Members Posts: 358
    swizbeatz wrote:

I think whoever said it earlier was spot on, these probably work really well for medium to high spin players but some low spin players may not get along as well. I've been testing since seeing a lot of them in bags at my state Am but as a low spin guy I see some inconsistencies in distance.

I can report that I'm a high spin player and so far have not experienced any inconsistencies with the 790
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SMUGamerSMUGamer  583Members Posts: 583
    RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

larciel wrote:

trolling and reporting an issue is whole different story.

If I was a potential buyer, I'd appreciate the warnings.
    Exactly, some here only want one side of the true story told - their side, of course. Many folks, very much appreciate the warnings and the fact that these irons have serious distance issues being brought to light so that others benefit. This is a more important topic than just ONE particular set of clubs because this has the new hollow technology on the line. Anyways, keep on posting ALL of your experiences and just ignore the true trolls.

IIUC you haven't even played these clubs, and made comments like UNPLAYABLE clubs.

To me that is not very helpful to others.
    I have played the clubs and have already stated that. If you'd taken time to read the comments versus making unfounded assumptions (which says something about you) then you wouldn't look so ignorant now. Furthermore, it was one our TOP CLUB FITTERS here in SoCal that made the statement ("P790's are UNPLAYABLE because of the distance control issues") directly to me. Its laughable how those still playing these things take it personal when the true insight is coming from someone that spends more hours studying/working/applying this stuff than ALL of us combined. Look, I understand some don't want negative info on these clubs getting out so they can unload them on some unknowing poor soul.
    Posted:
  • RodCRodC  358Members Posts: 358
    SMUGamer wrote:

RodC wrote:

IIUC you haven't even played these clubs, and made comments like UNPLAYABLE clubs.

I have played the clubs and have already stated that. If you'd taken time to read the comments versus making unfounded assumptions (which says something about you) then you wouldn't look so ignorant now.

In that case, I'm sorry.

I just read at this post,

SMUGamer wrote:

Exactly. I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter
  • Double DutchDouble Dutch  561Members Posts: 561
    SMUGamer wrote:

RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

larciel wrote:

Exactly, some here only want one side of the true story told - their side, of course. Many folks, very much appreciate the warnings and the fact that these irons have serious distance issues being brought to light so that others benefit. This is a more important topic than just ONE particular set of clubs because this has the new hollow technology on the line. Anyways, keep on posting ALL of your experiences and just ignore the true trolls.

I have played the clubs and have already stated that. If you'd taken time to read the comments versus making unfounded assumptions (which says something about you) then you wouldn't look so ignorant now. Furthermore, it was one our TOP CLUB FITTERS here in SoCal that made the statement ("P790's are UNPLAYABLE because of the distance control issues") directly to me. Its laughable how those still playing these things take it personal when the true insight is coming from someone that spends more hours studying/working/applying this stuff than ALL of us combined. Look, I understand some don't want negative info on these clubs getting out so they can unload them on some unknowing poor soul.

Can you please go and troll another thread? I was really enjoying this one before you joined.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
    Taylormade M1 3HL
    Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
    Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport original

SMUGamer wrote:

RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

larciel wrote:

Can you please go and troll another thread? I was really enjoying this one before you joined.
    Another troll with nothing to offer AND, we see he's playing Callaways, NOT P790's. Please direct me to your MAJOR contributions to this thread???
    Posted:
    RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

RodC wrote:

I have played the clubs and have already stated that. If you'd taken time to read the comments versus making unfounded assumptions (which says something about you) then you wouldn't look so ignorant now.

In that case, I'm sorry.

I just read at this post,

SMUGamer wrote:

Exactly. I was just at one of our Socal golf shops and the main fitter at the location said this exact same thing about the P790's. He even went so far as to say because of the distance inconsistencies and variances - they are UNPLAYABLE.

Look, I don't understand all the folks coming in to defend these irons, as if its personal to them. If they work for you great, but most good players won't even consider irons like these with little to no distance control. Guess thats why NO pros are playing them from what I've seen.

Apology accepted. Thanks, RodC!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou  2013Members Posts: 2,013
    Just survived a HOT round in Chandler AZ at Cattails at Whirlwind (a Troon Golf Property) and was the first official round with my P790's. I am giving them an A+ for the distance improvement over my previous JPX900 Forged irons. These play a good 1/2 to full club longer and could be the shafts fit me better a bit. I went from PXLZ6.0 in the 900's to Modus 130S straight in the P790's and loving the feel. I think as much as they feel and sound great, I was most surprised with how forgiving they were on slightly off center toe strikes! Some more range time and rounds will really dial these in for me on my quest to get into single digit handy.

Edited for Spelling
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Mizuno JPX919F 4-9iron Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX919T PW Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 51/08/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 56/06/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC

• chisagchisag  3108Members Posts: 3,108

SMUGamer wrote:

RodC wrote:

SMUGamer wrote:

larciel wrote:

... Just put him on ignore, it makes the thread so much more enjoyable. Plenty have made negative comments about these irons without being a complete d!ck. We are grown men talking about golf equipment, usually in a civilized and congenial manner. Those that are not are simply a waste of time, unless you enjoy juvenile banter.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Tensei Orange 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F8 18.5* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
    TaylorMade GAPR Mid ... KBS 80Hys
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90Hys
    4-pw TaylorMade P760/90 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
    Please point to my comments that fit your description? Yeah, you can't. Go away, ChiZAG (Mr. P790 promoter)!
    Posted:
  • SlamminSamuelSlamminSamuel  15Members Posts: 15
    evoviiiyou wrote:
    Just survived a HOT round in Chandler AZ at Cattails at Whirlwind (a Troon Golf Property) and was the first official round with my P790's. I am giving them an A+ for the distance improvement over my previous JPX900 Forged irons. These play a good 1/2 to full club anger and could be the shafts fit me better a bit. I went from PXLZ6.0 in the 900's to Modus 130S straight in the P790's and loving the feel. I think as much as they feel and sound great, I was most surprised with how forgiving they were on slightly off center toe strikes! Some more range time and rounds will really dial these in for me on my quest to get into single digit handy.

Aye! Single digit handy, the ultimate goal!
    Posted:
    TM Aeroburner Driver - 10.5
    TM Rocketballz 3W - 15
    TM SLDR 4H - 21
    TM 2011 Rescue - 23.5
    Ping S55 Orange Dot
    Mizuno Bettinardi C-02 33.5"
  • BiggErnBiggErn  2703Members Posts: 2,703
    I called earlier today just to see if there is a chance I get my sticks by the weekend. At first she said they went into production yesterday so it would probably be early next week. Then she saw I had 1 day shipping and that it’s possible but to call back Thursday morning to see where things are.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • AnserAnser  2221ClubWRX Posts: 2,221
    evoviiiyou wrote:

Just survived a HOT round in Chandler AZ at Cattails at Whirlwind (a Troon Golf Property) and was the first official round with my P790's. I am giving them an A+ for the distance improvement over my previous JPX900 Forged irons. These play a good 1/2 to full club anger and could be the shafts fit me better a bit. I went from PXLZ6.0 in the 900's to Modus 130S straight in the P790's and loving the feel. I think as much as they feel and sound great, I was most surprised with how forgiving they were on slightly off center toe strikes! Some more range time and rounds will really dial these in for me on my quest to get into single digit handy.

Of course none of that is actually true we've been told it's literally not possible to play golf with the P790's

I bet you dreamt this!
    Posted:
    TM M4 D-Type 9.5 - Tour AD IZ 7s
    TM M4 3HL, 5 HL, Tour AD IZ 7s
    Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
    TM 790 6-AW, Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 54/58
    TaylorMade HiToe 64
    Evnroll ER-5, Evnroll ER-2.1
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 2844Members Posts: 2,844
    Anser wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:

Of course none of that is actually true we've been told it's literally not possible to play golf with the P790's

I bet you dreamt this!
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 10.5° driver MCA Diamana ZF 50 S Flex
    Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° driver MCA Diamana DF 50 S Flex
    Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood MCA Diamana BF 60 S Flex
    Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid MCA MMT 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • WarrickWarrick  10726ClubWRX Posts: 10,726
    anyone use the 3i as a DI?

I am kicking around a black 790 3i with black DG105/S300, just for fun.
    Posted:
    Epic 9* HZRDUS Smoke
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-9 LZ Blackout 
    Mizuno T7 - 45-49-53-58 LZ Blackout 
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
    Warrick wrote:

Lefty's are image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Cleveland RTX 54/58
    TaylorMade HiToe 64
    Anser wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:

I bet you dreamt this!

I hear you! Wish it was a dream, as it was HOT A F out there! Coming from North East Ohio, its going to take some time getting used to not only the bermuda rough but the shear heat which is making me question the goto Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2Gs I have played for years. I did notice during the round that on a few throttled shots, I did feel my perspiration a bit and obviously took away the 100% confidence in the shot with the longer irons. Other than that its all there. These things are so forgiving, long, did I say long, and sound awesome on pure strikes. Plus they just look gorgeous as I recieved numerous compliments from staff and my playing partners yesterday. I really highly recommend them and as of right now, they are the irons that are staying int he bag over my MP53's and JPX900 forged! Nice work TM or PXG or whom ever developed this technology. Thank you
    Posted:

Advertisement
    evoviiiyou wrote:
    Anser wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:

I bet you dreamt this!

I hear you! Wish it was a dream, as it was HOT A F out there! Coming from North East Ohio, its going to take some time getting used to not only the bermuda rough but the shear heat which is making me question the goto Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2Gs I have played for years. I did notice during the round that on a few throttled shots, I did feel my perspiration a bit and obviously took away the 100% confidence in the shot with the longer irons. Other than that its all there. These things are so forgiving, long, did I say long, and sound awesome on pure strikes. Plus they just look gorgeous as I recieved numerous compliments from staff and my playing partners yesterday. I really highly recommend them and as of right now, they are the irons that are staying int he bag over my MP53's and JPX900 forged! Nice work TM or PXG or whom ever developed this technology. Thank you

Maybe try a rain glove until you decide to make a grip change.
    Posted:
  • ShakesterShakester  555Members Posts: 555
    I like the P790 but am exchanging them for P770. The distance is nice, but my distance was all over the place with the P790. I'd hit 10 shots at my local indoor range that uses GC2 with my 7 iron and I'd hit 5 shots at a distance I'd expect (168-172). I'd also hit one that carried 180 and another one at 162. According to the data, my clubhead speed didn't vary much and my strikes were consistently center-toe. Attack angles were all similar as well. I took a P770 7 iron and hit 10 shots and all of them were consistent. I carried them about 160-165 and much straighter. For me, I think predictability becomes more valuable which is why I'm making the switch.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade P790 2 Iron UDI
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1
    Shakester wrote:

I like the P790 but am exchanging them for P770. The distance is nice, but my distance was all over the place with the P790. I'd hit 10 shots at my local indoor range that uses GC2 with my 7 iron and I'd hit 5 shots at a distance I'd expect (168-172). I'd also hit one that carried 180 and another one at 162. According to the data, my clubhead speed didn't vary much and my strikes were consistently center-toe. Attack angles were all similar as well. I took a P770 7 iron and hit 10 shots and all of them were consistent. I carried them about 160-165 and much straighter. For me, I think predictability becomes more valuable which is why I'm making the switch.
    This seems to be par for the course!
    Posted:
    BiggErn wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:
    Anser wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:

I bet you dreamt this!

Thank you great idea!
    Posted:

SMUGamer wrote:

Shakester wrote:

Except for the guy right above, and me, and hundreds of thousands of others who enjoy the irons so much TM can't keep them in stock.
    Posted:
    Cleveland RTX 54/58
    TaylorMade HiToe 64

Advertisement
    evoviiiyou wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:
    Anser wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:

I bet you dreamt this!

Thank you great idea!

I live in SC where it’s hot and humid to boot. Sometimes I start out with a leather glove and end up with my rain glove shortly after. They last longer too. The sweat severely deteriorates the life of a premium glove.
    Posted:
  • North ButteNorth Butte  11741Members Posts: 11,741
    BiggErn wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:
    Anser wrote:

I bet you dreamt this!

Thank you great idea!

I live in SC where it’s hot and humid to boot. Sometimes I start out with a leather glove and end up with my rain glove shortly after. They last longer too. The sweat severely deteriorates the life of a premium glove.

Especially the really nice, thin Cabretta ones. They soak through instantly, stretch out of shape quickly when wet and basically go to **** in a handbasket after just a couple really sweaty rounds.
    Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Gamble GambleGamble Gamble #TwistFaceExperience  3577ClubWRX Posts: 3,577
    SMUGamer wrote:

Shakester wrote:

Spin definitely can be reduced from the mat by itself. Even using the CCE mat can lead to -300 to -500 rpm. If i use my GC2 outdoors my spin number is noticeably higher.
    Posted:
    Warrick wrote:

... I have a P790 3 iron with an Even Flow Blue hy shaft and it works well. As a 100 mph smooth swinger, I prefer the original Udi mostly because I was comfortable with it playing it along side my Cobra Forged Tours. But I think it just comes down to a personal preference.
    Posted:
  • Radeon962Radeon962  2019ClubWRX Posts: 2,019
    I was a long time Ping iron player. I5 to G25 to iE1 to G400 to G700 back to iE1 and now with P790's.

For me and my game they have been nothing short of spectacular. Roughly the size of the iE1 with the forgiveness of the G25. Feel and sound have been great and the added length in the 5-7 have been a benefit. I hit the 8-P a bit further than the iE1's but nothing that has created an issue as I have played enough rounds with them that I know what to expect.

The only "fliers" that I have had really have been in instances where I believe most any iron would/could potentially create a flyer.

In most instances, I hit them about 1 club longer in the 5-7 and then it tapers down to about 1/2 club longer than I hit the iE1's in the short irons.

I do appreciate the more standard length of the P790's as the G400's and G700's both have 5 irons that are 1/2" longer.

Still trying to figure out the AW though as its the only one that I don't care for.

Have a Ping Glide 50 on the way and may just play that and get rid of the AW.

I'm beyond the honeymoon period with them and have really enjoyed how they perform for my swing.

Posted:

Advertisement
    evoviiiyou wrote:

Just survived a HOT round in Chandler AZ at Cattails at Whirlwind (a Troon Golf Property) and was the first official round with my P790's. I am giving them an A+ for the distance improvement over my previous JPX900 Forged irons. These play a good 1/2 to full club longer and could be the shafts fit me better a bit. I went from PXLZ6.0 in the 900's to Modus 130S straight in the P790's and loving the feel. I think as much as they feel and sound great, I was most surprised with how forgiving they were on slightly off center toe strikes! Some more range time and rounds will really dial these in for me on my quest to get into single digit handy.

... I spent 6 weeks playing everyday inPhoenix this past M arch/April and absolutely loved Whirlwind although I played my P790's on Devils Claw. You really need to dial in distance on an unfamiliar course and the P790's were spot on. Hotting our 2nd shot into 18 a Bobcat just sauntered past the back of the green like he/she was out for a stroll. Just a visual treat the entire round.
    Posted:
    chisag wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:

... I spent 6 weeks playing everyday inPhoenix this past M arch/April and absolutely loved Whirlwind although I played my P790's on Devils Claw. You really need to dial in distance on an unfamiliar course and the P790's were spot on. Hotting our 2nd shot into 18 a Bobcat just sauntered past the back of the green like he/she was out for a stroll. Just a visual treat the entire round.

Thanks for sharing. We wanted to play Devils Claw but it is undergoing a renovation of the bunkers currently according to the pro shop. Being the first time I played Cattails, no shot looked unrealistic and having the best xtra firepower confidence of the 790’s was a delight. Looking forward to getting a few in the near future in on Devils Claw, hopefully we will get the Bobcat sighting. Too cool brotha
    Posted:

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 2844Members Posts: 2,844
    chisag wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:

Yet you avatar is a set of Mizuno irons. How long until the P790’s are avatar worthy?
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 10.5° driver MCA Diamana ZF 50 S Flex
    Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° driver MCA Diamana DF 50 S Flex
    Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood MCA Diamana BF 60 S Flex
    Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid MCA MMT 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1

Advertisement
  • SefSef  925Members Posts: 925
    noodle3872 wrote:
    chisag wrote:

evoviiiyou wrote:

Yet you avatar is a set of Mizuno irons. How long until the P790’s are avatar worthy?

I bet never, the dude from Avatar probably hits it a ton and has no need for help from a distance iron.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9* - Fuji Pro 2.0 70X
    Callaway 816 Alpha 3w - Rogue I/O 70X
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 19* 5w - Tour Green 75X
    Ping S55 4-pw - Project X LZ 7.0
    Glide 2.0 Stealth 51, 56, and 60 - DG X100
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file