ddetts' Swing Journey - 2020 Goals & Updated Swing Progress pg. 17

ddetts

Well, tonight was absolute garbage. Got blown out in my match 3 down. And my opponent played below his level too.

I don't think I had a single shot with good contact. A lot of hooks, and a lot of toe contact shots.

I need to find some amnesia and completely forget about the round tonight. Unfortunate, because I thought I was making some good progress in the right direction.

Keep your head up.

One bad round under heavy pressure doesn't mean you arent making progress.

You go from understanding changes

To slo mo

To half swings

To full swings

To good range

To good casual on course

Finally to tourney rounds.

Pressure can cause reverting to old habits, can be very bad when old habits are mixing with new movements.

Onward and upward!

Thanks for the supportive words, it's hard to flip a 180 and fall apart after feeling like you've found something.

I hit so many good shots last week, really felt like I found "it". But I know that's not how it works.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Another big bump in the road...

I shot a 90 in the 1st round of club championship this morning. The conditions were a little rough but I actually started off good and played well thru 8 holes. I was 5 over and 3 of that was really poor putting and another a penalty driving into water as a result of poor club selection. Tee to green was pretty solid to that point, with 5 GIRs and 4 reasonable birdie attempts.

Then, it all went wrong. #9 par 3 playing 168 into a stiff breeze and pin tucked back right. Wanted to hit a punchy 6i toward center back but completely hooked it about 40 yards left OB. Followed by a fat 2nd tee shot and took triple. From there my swing was crap and didn't make a par until 18. Including a quad on #13 thanks to a hooked driver into a pond, followed by a topped iron into the same pond.

It was a tough day (only a small handful of people played their hcp or better) and plenty of higher scores. I just couldn't get the club on the ball.

I've learned over the last few weeks I'm not a great putter. Really need to improve there. I'm also disappointed that I pretty much checked out mentally after the quad.

Hoping I can put a decent round together tomorrow.

Making me really question the decision to enter the SDGA Amateur. Will be a long 3 days if it's like this.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I shot a 90 in the 1st round of club championship this morning. The conditions were a little rough but I actually started off good and played well thru 8 holes. I was 5 over and 3 of that was really poor putting and another a penalty driving into water as a result of poor club selection. Tee to green was pretty solid to that point, with 5 GIRs and 4 reasonable birdie attempts.

Then, it all went wrong. #9 par 3 playing 168 into a stiff breeze and pin tucked back right. Wanted to hit a punchy 6i toward center back but completely hooked it about 40 yards left OB. Followed by a fat 2nd tee shot and took triple. From there my swing was crap and didn't make a par until 18. Including a quad on #13 thanks to a hooked driver into a pond, followed by a topped iron into the same pond.

It was a tough day (only a small handful of people played their hcp or better) and plenty of higher scores. I just couldn't get the club on the ball.

I've learned over the last few weeks I'm not a great putter. Really need to improve there. I'm also disappointed that I pretty much checked out mentally after the quad.

Making me really question the decision to enter the SDGA Amateur. Will be a long 3 days if it's like this.

Hang in there broski. Let this last round be "one of those rounds" and move on. Forget about it and focus on playing well!

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Hang in there broski. Let this last round be "one of those rounds" and move on. Forget about it and focus on playing well!

I know I should, and I know I need to before tomorrow morning. It's just really frustrating when it goes bad. I can handle a big directional miss but topping the ball and terrible contact I really hate.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I know I should, and I know I need to before tomorrow morning. It's just really frustrating when it goes bad. I can handle a big directional miss but topping the ball and terrible contact I really hate.

Believe me, I know exactly how you feel. Maybe one of the only things I've learned in golf is that its no good beating yourself up.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Round 2 was shortened to 9 holes for weather, which basically meant it would be impossible to make up enough from yesterday's damage to place in the money. My friend and I wagered $20 on best net score to try to get our heads back into it.

Here's how I started - hole 10 (played back 9) is a par 5 dogleg left, uphill, with OB/ driving range left. Topped drive, hit 2nd OB trying to cut corner from juicy rough (poor choice, should've played short and took big number out) , topped my 4th from the same place then hit 5 up the smart direction. From there it took 4 more to get down for a 9.

Now, it would've been easy to just play in without a care, but I didn't. I played my other 8 holes in even par, 1 birdie/1 bogey and pars.

I'm so pleased I kept in it and didn't quit. I know I can play some golf when the swing is going ok. As cliche as it sounds, I literally played it 1 stroke at a time.

I also switched back to my old faithful odyssey #7 and putted nicely.

I jumped up to t3 in my flight, but lost the tie breaker because of my terrible 1st round. The first and last 8 holes of my 27 were really good, except for the putting in round 1.

Anyway, +4 gross and -1 net has me feeling like I really bounced back. Even playing a little smart and doubling my 1st hole and I'd have played a great round.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Turns out I was wrong on the tie breaker, I moved into 3rd and got my entry fee back.

2WfDK5l.jpg

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

That's a helluva bounceback, Derek. To take a quad on the opening hole and then play your last 8 in even par is admirable. Would have been super easy to just check out.

Keep up the hard work brother.

I really can't say how I did it either. Anger shifted to frustration, which then somehow moved to determination after making what was like a 6 footer for the 9. It was an odd feeling to feel good about making a putt for a 9! But considering my putting has been pretty poor the last few weeks, it was a shot of confidence to make a really good stroke. I had only 12 putts in the round, so that certainly helped.

*** Oops, miscounted. It was actually 14 putts but that is still significantly better than my putting had been in the prior weeks.

After that start there should be a ton of positives to take aways from yesterday! Good job.

Definitely the shot of confidence I needed. After some really poor play, I was considering trying to get out of the SDGA Amateur this coming weekend. Not because I care about shooting high scores or embarrassment, etc because I've had plenty of blow up rounds in my life. I just didn't want to be that guy hacking it around in a serious event and possibly having negative impact on my playing partners because they're constantly waiting on me.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Been lurking around this thread a little bit and wanted to say nice job with that bounceback. My happiest golf memories are from times when I had a lot of pressure on and I was able to pull off the shots and make the putts. You certainly had loads of pressure on you after that first hole, and you got it done and played solid the whole way in. Well done!

Today I'm trying to do some more goal setting for the amateur championship coming up and I keep going back and forth on whether or not I should set any goal(s) related to score. My course handicap is 10 which means I'll shoot 82 if I play to my handicap and thus a 3 day total of +30. I previously posted I wanted to shoot under 85 all rounds and at least one round <= 82. I'm generally pretty good about ignoring my score and not chasing just to get to a certain number but at the same time I don't want the thought to creep in and to start altering my decision making.

For those with a lot of tournament experience, do you set a target number? Or do you literally just take it "one shot at a time" as they say?

I'm still going to stick with the other goals I came up with as I think they're pretty solid. Because I had to use some time off work for other things, it doesn't appear I'll be getting to go play any practice on the course before the tournament. It's a course I probably played close to a hundred times prior to some renovation, re-routing, and some hole changes so I'll just have to hope it isn't drastically different.

Goals:

• Shoot under 85 all three rounds, one round 82 or better
  • Maintain focus and keep routine on every single putt; no more than one 3-putt a round
    • I hate to even allow for three putts in a goal but I know the greens will be faster than anything I play all year, a course I haven't played (hoping to play a practice round) in a few years, and I switched putters 1 week ago.

[*]Do not compound any mistakes - take the big number out of play and play for easy bogey and hope to make some par saves

[*]2 double bogeys, and nothing worse

[*]Remember I'm a 9 handicap, plan and commit to shots I know I can hit and accept the outcome as long as I made a shot selection and committed to it

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Question to OP or anybody else here who went to a Monte clinic -

Did you find that maybe one area of your game got ridiculously better, but then another got way worse as a result of going? My short game has gotten at least 3-5 strokes better almost instantly from the "use the bounce" method and also chipping from the collar with my hybrid instead of risking a chunk or a thin bullet. However, because my two main flaws were weight transfer issues and lowering my rear shoulder too much in the DS, my driving, specifically my swing speed has taken a real nose dive. Granted, I was never consistent before, but when I did make a good pass, I was usually around the 280-300 mark on drives, depending on wind, elevation yadda yadda. Now I am barely getting a decent drive out to 250 and trackman says my swing speed went from 110 to 97mph. However, iron distance has gone up and I've lost no speed at all. It may be noteworthy though... my AoA on driver went from +5 to +1 or +2, so my launch has taken a big dip, and also spin. AoA has gone down as a result of direction from Monte regarding the shoulder issue but also he told me to tee the ball lower. Doesn't really explain the massive speed loss though.

Did you find that maybe one area of your game got ridiculously better, but then another got way worse as a result of going? My short game has gotten at least 3-5 strokes better almost instantly from the "use the bounce" method and also chipping from the collar with my hybrid instead of risking a chunk or a thin bullet. However, because my two main flaws were weight transfer issues and lowering my rear shoulder too much in the DS, my driving, specifically my swing speed has taken a real nose dive. Granted, I was never consistent before, but when I did make a good pass, I was usually around the 280-300 mark on drives, depending on wind, elevation yadda yadda. Now I am barely getting a decent drive out to 250 and trackman says my swing speed went from 110 to 97mph. However, iron distance has gone up and I've lost no speed at all. It may be noteworthy though... my AoA on driver went from +5 to +1 or +2, so my launch has taken a big dip, and also spin. Doesn't really explain the massive speed loss though.

I can't say I experienced the same, my short game was pretty solid prior with the exception being bunker play. I learned some new tricks and easier ways to play shots which helped take some pressure of the short game.

My big problems were/are a weak grip (specifically the right hand getting really weak) and way too long of a backswing causing arm overrun. Those issues basically make me have a stall/flip move and almost everything I hit was a pull (mostly straight pull or pull draw). So now when I get the grip right and get sync'd up I pick up some distance and the ball isn't starting left. However, sometimes I get the grip right and the old flip comes back and I'll really send one left. Still working hard on getting the changes to stick obviously...

I don't have any swing measurements like speed, AoA, etc to tell you how those changed either.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Looks like you were the low man in your flight on the second day—well done!

These are the "little wins" you want to focus on as you get your tourney chops in working order.

You've clearly got some game. This experience will prove instructive as you take better care of your ball and manage your tourney rounds in the future.

Edit: I also meant to add...

DEFINITELY play in the State Am! You'll get your butt kicked, but you will see and learn so much that will help you build your foundation for tournament play.

And if you're able to go out there and play one of your better rounds, your confidence will "level up" to a new plateau, thereby elevating your entire game.

There is absolutely no substitute for experience, so get out there and let 'er rip!

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Did you find that maybe one area of your game got ridiculously better, but then another got way worse as a result of going? My short game has gotten at least 3-5 strokes better almost instantly from the "use the bounce" method and also chipping from the collar with my hybrid instead of risking a chunk or a thin bullet. However, because my two main flaws were weight transfer issues and lowering my rear shoulder too much in the DS, my driving, specifically my swing speed has taken a real nose dive. Granted, I was never consistent before, but when I did make a good pass, I was usually around the 280-300 mark on drives, depending on wind, elevation yadda yadda. Now I am barely getting a decent drive out to 250 and trackman says my swing speed went from 110 to 97mph. However, iron distance has gone up and I've lost no speed at all. It may be noteworthy though... my AoA on driver went from +5 to +1 or +2, so my launch has taken a big dip, and also spin. Doesn't really explain the massive speed loss though.

I can't say I experienced the same, my short game was pretty solid prior with the exception being bunker play. I learned some new tricks and easier ways to play shots which helped take some pressure of the short game.

My big problems were/are a weak grip (specifically the right hand getting really weak) and way too long of a backswing causing arm overrun. Those issues basically make me have a stall/flip move and almost everything I hit was a pull (mostly straight pull or pull draw). So now when I get the grip right and get sync'd up I pick up some distance and the ball isn't starting left. However, sometimes I get the grip right and the old flip comes back and I'll really send one left. Still working hard on getting the changes to stick obviously...

I don't have any swing measurements like speed, AoA, etc to tell you how those changed either.

I wish I got the contact info from one guy at my clinic who literally had the same issue as me. Lower rear shoulder during DS caused a high-ish flight and miss was over draw due to flipping hands last minute to recover from a massive in to out path. I know everybody had different issues so it's unlikely somebody would have a definite answer for me... But was just curious if anybody else experience somewhat similar things.

For now I just hit 3w off the tee because it's barely shorter distance wise now and I can generally find the fairway or first cut. Somehow only my driver seems to be suffering from the swing change effects.. Putter always been bad, still bad... but that's another topic.

I wish I got the contact info from one guy at my clinic who literally had the same issue as me. Lower rear shoulder during DS caused a high-ish flight and miss was over draw due to flipping hands last minute to recover from a massive in to out path. I know everybody had different issues so it's unlikely somebody would have a definite answer for me... But was just curious if anybody else experience somewhat similar things.

For now I just hit 3w off the tee because it's barely shorter distance wise now and I can generally find the fairway or first cut. Somehow only my driver seems to be suffering from the swing change effects.. Putter always been bad, still bad... but that's another topic.

At least you can hit 3w, I don't even really pull mine out at the moment because I've topped it so many times (off the deck and off the tee!). Which is really a shame because I love it and when I was hitting it well I could hit long lasers with it. Back in the day, like 7-8 years ago a low draw choking down on my 3w like an inch was my go to tee ball when I need to get it in play and about 260 out there. I miss having that shot.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

At least you can hit 3w, I don't even really pull mine out at the moment because I've topped it so many times (off the deck and off the tee!). Which is really a shame because I love it and when I was hitting it well I could hit long lasers with it. Back in the day, like 7-8 years ago a low draw choking down on my 3w like an inch was my go to tee ball when I need to get it in play and about 260 out there. I miss having that shot.

Played last night. Played alone so I pulled driver and pulled 3w/hybrid each tee that required it. Only hit 3 of 12 or so drives in play. Rest were total dog sh!t. Only missed 3 or 4 fairways when I pulled less than driver, and when it was the 3w, it was almost as far.

Think I need to start treating the driver like a 3w or something, because the hybrid/3w off the tee has been really good. Might tee the ball even lower so the top of the ball is just barely over the crown, and feel like I am hitting level to maybe even a hint down. I know maybe 3* up is most optimal, but when I try to swing up... it's tops, slices... all horrible. It's so odd because I can't even slice my 3w if I try... my struggles are mostly pull hooks/overdraws. Could be my shaft is messing with my timing, too.. but I think it's 90% me.

Played last night. Played alone so I pulled driver and pulled 3w/hybrid each tee that required it. Only hit 3 of 12 or so drives in play. Rest were total dog sh!t. Only missed 3 or 4 fairways when I pulled less than driver, and when it was the 3w, it was almost as far.

Think I need to start treating the driver like a 3w or something, because the hybrid/3w off the tee has been really good. Might tee the ball even lower so the top of the ball is just barely over the crown, and feel like I am hitting level to maybe even a hint down. I know maybe 3* up is most optimal, but when I try to swing up... it's tops, slices... all horrible. It's so odd because I can't even slice my 3w if I try... my struggles are mostly pull hooks/overdraws. Could be my shaft is messing with my timing, too.. but I think it's 90% me.

Any time I have tried to swing up by manipulating setup or swing mechanics I hit it terrible. Pop ups, poor face contact, etc. I have no idea what my launch numbers are and there's a good chance I could be leaving some yards on the table by not being "optimized". But at this point, my swing flaws produce a stall flip so I'd rather not even try to chase driver optimization until I know my swing is more solid and repeatable.

Also, I have never had much success with teeing the ball high with driver either as it results it pop ups, etc. I pretty much tee it so there's only a little bit of the ball above the crown - probably 1/4 of the ball or less.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Yep, I think that's what I need to do. Ever since I saw JT do it at the US Open (yet he still swings up on the ball) I figured I was doing something wrong.

On the positive side, anytime I had a shot from the fairway inside 100 yards yesterday, I made par. Monte's methods and thoughts about short game were definitely the fix I needed for my short shots. Even hit a 60 yard shot to 3 feet. I still struggle with pitches/chips out of the rough though, so it makes me wonder if for the time being I'm better off playing a shot outside of like 130 yards as 2 shots (say 180yards = 120 + 60) to try and make par more often, instead of missing the green 10 yards right and having to hit the most perfect and delicate flop over a bunker, etc to try and get up and down. Almost never goes well for me.

Yep, I think that's what I need to do. Ever since I saw JT do it at the US Open (yet he still swings up on the ball) I figured I was doing something wrong.

On the positive side, anytime I had a shot from the fairway inside 100 yards yesterday, I made par. Monte's methods and thoughts about short game were definitely the fix I needed for my short shots. Even hit a 60 yard shot to 3 feet. I still struggle with pitches/chips out of the rough though, so it makes me wonder if for the time being I'm better off playing a shot outside of like 130 yards as 2 shots (say 180yards = 120 + 60) to try and make par more often, instead of missing the green 10 yards right and having to hit the most perfect and delicate flop over a bunker, etc to try and get up and down. Almost never goes well for me.

If you hit the ball well enough, I don't like the idea of playing two shots. That to me seems like advice you'd read in one of those "Break 100" or "Break 90" type programs. Based off how far you said you were hitting drives (and not knowing your hcp) I'd say perhaps on approach shots 175+ use that strategy. OR if there's a combination of additional issues with the shot like a forced carry to the green, from rough, object (tree, etc) in your line you have to navigate or whatever than maybe take that approach. But for stock shots I would say maybe spend a little more time analyzing the shot and where the acceptable miss(es) are. If you know long or right is dead, take the club you know won't be long and play to center/left part of the green.

My ball striking has been getting a bit better, but I'm still not hitting more than 6-7 GIRs for a good round for me. However, I'm doing a pretty good job of planning for my misses and taking the hard short game shots out of play.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

If you hit the ball well enough, I don't like the idea of playing two shots. That to me seems like advice you'd read in one of those "Break 100" or "Break 90" type programs. Based off how far you said you were hitting drives (and not knowing your hcp) I'd say perhaps on approach shots 175+ use that strategy. OR if there's a combination of additional issues with the shot like a forced carry to the green, from rough, object (tree, etc) in your line you have to navigate or whatever than maybe take that approach. But for stock shots I would say maybe spend a little more time analyzing the shot and where the acceptable miss(es) are. If you know long or right is dead, take the club you know won't be long and play to center/left part of the green.

My ball striking has been getting a bit better, but I'm still not hitting more than 6-7 GIRs for a good round for me. However, I'm doing a pretty good job of planning for my misses and taking the hard short game shots out of play.

I can usually be on or right around the green anything from 160 and in. It can be tough though, the rough is very thick and fescue comes into play if you have a really bad miss. I'd rather be in a bunker than risk missing the green by 10-15 yards in any direction (Except short) in most cases.

I'm trending down to about a 17 now with Monte's clinic (played baseball/hockey all my life, that's why I can still swing a club, this is my 3rd year golfing). I almost never hit a GIR when I'm over 180 out, so maybe that's the best time for me to go like.. 8i, chip on. I'd probably get a bogey at worst more often than not, instead of over drawing the shot into some nasty grass then duffing the follow up pitch and getting double. Doing that alone right there could probably drop me down to a 15. I need to remember Monte's 1 key point, which is to play within yourself. The hero shots (for our HC) that we want to pull off often cost us shots much more often than not.

I can usually be on or right around the green anything from 160 and in. It can be tough though, the rough is very thick and fescue comes into play if you have a really bad miss. I'd rather be in a bunker than risk missing the green by 10-15 yards in any direction (Except short) in most cases.

I'm trending down to about a 17 now with Monte's clinic (played baseball/hockey all my life, that's why I can still swing a club, this is my 3rd year golfing). I almost never hit a GIR when I'm over 180 out, so maybe that's the best time for me to go like.. 8i, chip on. I'd probably get a bogey at worst more often than not, instead of over drawing the shot into some nasty grass then duffing the follow up pitch and getting double. Doing that alone right there could probably drop me down to a 15. I need to remember Monte's 1 key point, which is to play within yourself. The hero shots (for our HC) that we want to pull off often cost us shots much more often than not.

If the rough is really thick/gnarly around the greens, then it could make more sense to layup and try to wedge it on. I would say that's true only if a couple of things hold true: 1) even straight forward shots like an uphill pitch are difficult due to the rough being so penal and 2) you're hitting those wedge shots from 50-80 yards on the green the majority of the time.

I also struggle to play within myself at times as well. Attempted hero shots cost me a few shots in a couple of the previous rounds I have played.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Yeah I just don't get the chance to practice out of deep rough like that often. The range near my office has a chipping green but the rough is pretty shallow compared to my normal course. It's much more difficult to judge how the ball is going to come out, especially if I end up in that wispy fescue stuff.

I took so easily to Monte's bounce technique that I'd almost rather be 30 yards out in the fairway than 15 yards away in deep rough but pin high. Eventually though if I want to get into the lower teens to singles I'd have to go for the green each time instead of purposely laying back. Like you said, that's a breaking 90 technique.

Yeah I just don't get the chance to practice out of deep rough like that often. The range near my office has a chipping green but the rough is pretty shallow compared to my normal course. It's much more difficult to judge how the ball is going to come out, especially if I end up in that wispy fescue stuff.

I took so easily to Monte's bounce technique that I'd almost rather be 30 yards out in the fairway than 15 yards away in deep rough but pin high. Eventually though if I want to get into the lower teens to singles I'd have to go for the green each time instead of purposely laying back. Like you said, that's a breaking 90 technique.

I would say if laying back and hitting pitches from the fairway is a more confident shot for you and gives you the better opportunity to score better than pitching/chipping from greenside rough than go that route! The only way to get better at those shots from thick rough is through playing them. You need to learn to read the lie (is the grass laying into the shot, with the shot, or across the shot. Is the ball nestled all the way down or is it propped up) which is going to affect not only how you play the shot but also the trajectory and spin you're going to get.

I'd say if you want to get better at those, occasionally play a round where you're not that concerned with score and when you have those shots try it a couple times using different techniques. You'll start to get a feel for what works, what doesn't and how the ball reacts.

And speaking of Monte's bounce technique, that's a good reminder I need to go out and buy Use the Bounce 2.0. I bought Drive for Dough about a month ago (finally) and really picked up some good nuggets.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

So close, yet so far away... Quick! Name that tune.

I feel like I am so close to playing some really good golf. My round last night for match play league was really good but the +5 score doesn't really show it. The two things that held me back last night:

1. Putting - I had 3 birdie putts that were all probably in the 9-11' range and I didn't make a single one. Had another birdie putt that was closer to 25', downhill and normally really fast. However we've had a lot of rain in the last 5 days and the greens are closer to velcro right now and I ended up 3 putting after leaving the first well short.
  2. Mistakes

1. Double bogeyed a par 5 last night, which went like this. 3w off the tee about 260 up the right side of the fairway (a creek crosses the fairway around 270), 3i layup leaving around 95 yards to a back right pin with hazard long. My layup was in a ground under repair area they are trying to get some grass to fill back in. Local rule is it's still playable and the roped off area was huge and would've had a terrible angle to bring it out and drop. It was wet and the lie appeared like it was going to be fairly wet so I took my 58* which is about 95 yard max for me. Ended up being a pretty tight lie and I thinned it over the green into the hazard. On my drop, the ball nestled way down in the rough on a downslope and the best I could do was about 25' past the hole and ended up with double.
      • In hindsight and not knowing what the lie would be like, I probably should've taken my PW and hit more of a long pitch with it and just accepted middle of the green as good.

[*]Rangefinder oops on an approach. Hit 2i off a short par 4 up the left side and had a good angle to a back right pin. Lasered it twice and both times came up with 112 which is perfect as my 52* is a 110 club for me. Hit a great looking shot on a line barely left of the pin, gave it a little pose and watched in anguish as it carried into the bank behind the green. Lasered it again and got 102, FML! The wind wasn't blowing at all before the shot so apparently it never picked up the flag, just the bank behind the green. so I hit a great shot to the wrong yardage... However, got it up and down for par so no harm but a birdie putt would've been better.

Overall I hit some really nice shots. Still a couple pulls that creeped in, but not so far offline that it got me into trouble.

I know with working on swing changes I haven't given putting the time it deserves but I really need to improve my putting. I'm not putting that poorly, I'm just not making much outside 5-6'. I think a lot of that stems from playing to avoid big scores the last few years vs playing to score. I think I have a mental road block of thinking "just get this to 2 feet for par/bogey" instead of thinking "I'm going to make this". Knowing I can pick up a birdie or two a round would go a long way for the confidence.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Here's the latest for where the swing is at.

• Making some progress on shortening the backswing but still too long. I feel like the little sway off the ball at the start as well as standing up contribute to this
  • Still stalling and flipping and not seeing much improvement there. I am having a hard time getting the right elbow forward in any swings. I feel like when I can see my reflection I can see what I am doing, feel it, and perform it correctly. It just still isn't translating over yet.
  • I think part of the problem may also be that I have a bad arm swing impulse. In the backswing and

7i FO

7i DTL

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Round 1 is in the books... I'll start with the positives:

4 birdies

Putted pretty darn well, but had two 3 putts

Made good decisions and played within myself

Now the bad...

4 doubles, 1 triple

Swing kind of abandoned me mid round. I hit a lot of bad shots including a topped drive, a 3-4 bladed irons and wedges.

I started on 10 and had around 15' for birdie. Tournament green speed punched me in the face and I 3 putted for bogey.

Next hole I swiped my drive weak right, and my ball ended up in a potted lie with about 1/3 of the ball below ground. That led to a terrible top into thick rough and led to the triple.

Hole 7 I hit my best drive of the day and had 150 in. But the ball came to rest in an unfilled, crater of a divot. Again, with a lot of the ball below ground. Hit a really thin shot 30 yards short. Should've been an easy up and down for bogey but made double.

Hole 9 hit another solid drive, 132 left and completely pull PW far left. Make bogey.

My swing was pretty solid until hole 17, where I topped the drive and started having the lefts.

I'm ok with the score but the ball striking falling apart is trusting. My course hcp is 10, so only shot 1 worse than that. The score is better than it should be. I made long putts for 2/4 birdies. It's hot and dry, and the greens will be even more challenging tomorrow.

I'm hoping to clean up the full swing a little and not counting on 4 birdies tomorrow. I'm targeting an 81 tomorrow and hoping to improve.

FGCdy7Y.jpg

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Goals:

• Shoot under 85 all three rounds, one round 82 or better
  • Maintain focus and keep routine on every single putt; no more than one 3-putt a round
    • I hate to even allow for three putts in a goal but I know the greens will be faster than anything I play all year, a course I haven't played (hoping to play a practice round) in a few years, and I switched putters 1 week ago.

[*]Do not compound any mistakes - take the big number out of play and play for easy bogey and hope to make some par saves

[*]2 double bogeys, and nothing worse

[*]Remember I'm a 9 handicap, plan and commit to shots I know I can hit and accept the outcome as long as I made a shot selection and committed to it

The time has come to do some reflecting on the experience and my performance after I've had almost a full day to digest everything.

99PdFwp.jpg

• Rounds of 83/86/91 - so I shot one round under 85 and none 82 or better
  • Putting was actually far and away the best part of my game all three rounds. I'd have to go through and recall as I didn't keep stats during the rounds, but I think I may have only had two three putts and only 1 in a round
    • I made some really long putts for birdies
    • I grinded out a lot of putts from 4-8' for pars
    • First 3-putt was on my 1st hole of the event. Had around 12' for birdie and tournament speed reality checked me there. Had around 7' feet, downhill coming back after the I crushed the birdie attempt.
    • After adjusting, I quite liked putting on the fast and firm greens

[*]I played within my self, and didn't try any hero shots.

[*]With my swing being all of the map, I was pretty much just aiming center of green and trying to pick the right yardage depending on conditions. Toward the end I was playing to a lot of front numbers as I was hitting most of my shots from the rough and just hoping to keep them on

[*]Well, the goal of two doubles and no worse I completely missed. I had one triple (2nd hole of the tournament) that I think was a combination of nerves, not used to that heavy of rough and swinging too hard at the balls down in the rough. That probably exaggerated my swing flaws and I basically topped 2 shots in the rough and then thinned the next over the green. So a chip and 2 putts for a tidy triple

• I had 13 doubles - almost half of those in round 3 - with round 2 only having 3.
    • This was pretty much all long game. My swing other than a few flashes of brilliance, was mostly not good. I don't know if my brain went into panic mode and I just reverted to what my swing has been for 6 years now.
    • I topped a couple of drivers (with a tee'd up ball, I'm not even sure how this is possible) and probably another 7-8 iron shots, I got the lefts really bad day 1 and part of day 2 where pretty much everything was a pull draw

Overall thoughts and experience

• Tournament golf is hard! The weather was hot and bit windy the second and third rounds, greens got harder to hold especially out of the rough.
  • It was a fun challenge to play more difficult conditions and to really grind around the greens
  • It was a physical challenge as well, I was very tired after the third round
    • Fatigue, both physically & mentally, probably set in a little on Sunday, as evidenced by my final 9 (front 9 round 3).
    • I've had some nagging left low back pain which comes and goes. It was also probably a factor by day 3 as well.

[*]My swing is definitely "fragile" and a work in progress at this point. I made a lot of my old swings, made a few swings with a combination of old habits (flip) with new feels that were really bad, but actually hit a number of really quality shots

[*]My swing, especially with driver, is terribly inefficient. I feel like I am swinging out of my shoes, and repeatedly getting outdriven by 20-30 yards. And the guys I played with probably wouldn't be considered big hitters.

[*]My sand game sucks - thankfully I had only 5 bunker shots because on all but one, I just got it out and barely up and another I left in the bunker.

• It's pretty fine sand and I was definitely not doing well with low point control and/or entry point behind the ball.

[*]Birdies! I made 7 birdies in three rounds, with 4 birdies in one. That's probably more birdies than I have made all year in my previous rounds combined. This really gave me some confidence, and especially boosted my putting confidence a ton. It was almost as if I gave myself permission to make long putts instead of my usual thought of just get it close for an easy par.

I feel like if my swing hadn't been a hot mess and I would've at least made some contact with the ball on all my shots, I could probably take away 15 strokes across the three rounds. It really was almost laughable how many i topped/thinned that went 40-60 yards.

I'd say I played like a 25 hcp tee to green and like a 4 (maybe better?) hcp in the short game department.

I've got plenty of positives to build on, but most certainly a lot more room for growth and improvement with my full swing.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen