Garmin Z80 GPS/Laser Ranger Finder Hybrid - The official thread

So I'm back from my first course outing with the Z80. Unfortunately I don't have as glowing a report to offer as I hoped. There is a lot to like but there are definitely some problems that need to be addressed.

First the good stuff:

- The screen is bright and of high enough resolution to get the job done well.

- Targeting with the laser is a different experience to a traditional laser such as Bushnell but I actually think it works better. Basically, instead of the usual press and hold on the targeting button, you push and release. Then the system seems to scan the targeted area for a couple of seconds before returning the closest hit. This worked well and gave me good confidence I was getting the correct number each time. The image stabilization feature seems to help with targeting but it was not an earth-shattering difference vs a non-stabilized laser.

- Having the GPS yardages side by side with the pin yardage is every bit as useful as you might imagine. (If you can trust the numbers - see below)

- The hole layout view is very useful and the 200/150/100 yard layup markers are very nice to have.

- The PinPointer feature is well done and surprisingly cool to use. I only needed it once today but I can imagine needing it a lot more on other courses I play such as Chambers Bay. Lots of places to get lost over there :-)

And now the bad:

- On two occasions the unit would not come out of sleep. The little blue light was flashing away indicating it was in standby mode, but nothing I tried would wake it up. I had to press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds each time and then it rebooted. After selecting 'Play Golf' again, it was very quickly back in action but obviously this is something I hope will not continue to happen.

- On a disturbing number of holes I noticed the GPS yardages (or I guess possibly the laser?) were incorrect. After targeting the pin, the display would show the yellow pin range arc completely off the front of the green. This was always when the pin was fairly close to the front of the green so it seems the GPS system was consistently reporting higher green yardages than reality. I wish I had my G8 with me for comparison but I guess I was a little too optimistic by bringing just the Z80 with me. It is also possible that the GPS data for the course I was playing today is a little off, which is why I really should have brought my G8 to compare. Next time ...

- I had a strange behavior on one hole where after waking up the Z80 from standby, while I was viewing the hole layout and targeting the green, I got a message on-screen giving a 5 second countdown to standby! This was while I was actively using the unit. It happened twice in rapid succession but the unit stayed on after both countdowns and it never happened again after that. Weird.

- It can look a little silly pulling out what looks like a laser unit on the tee of a par 4/5 as no-one expects you to be looking at the GPS based course layout inside :-)

For now, I'm a little concerned about the performance, particularly regarding the GPS yardages. I can't help worrying that the GPS system is not staying active to save battery life, and the accuracy is suffering as a result. I would much rather charge the device after every round and be able to trust the numbers.

It's gonna be another couple of weeks before I can get out again so any further testing will have to wait.

@wybrh - that means I'll be holding onto my G8 for a little while yet I'm afraid.

So I'm back from my first course outing with the Z80. Unfortunately I don't have as glowing a report to offer as I hoped. There is a lot to like but there are definitely some problems that need to be addressed.

First the good stuff:

- The screen is bright and of high enough resolution to get the job done well.

- Targeting with the laser is a different experience to a traditional laser such as Bushnell but I actually think it works better. Basically, instead of the usual press and hold on the targeting button, you push and release. Then the system seems to scan the targeted area for a couple of seconds before returning the closest hit. This worked well and gave me good confidence I was getting the correct number each time. The image stabilization feature seems to help with targeting but it was not an earth-shattering difference vs a non-stabilized laser.

- Having the GPS yardages side by side with the pin yardage is every bit as useful as you might imagine. (If you can trust the numbers - see below)

- The hole layout view is very useful and the 200/150/100 yard layup markers are very nice to have.

- The PinPointer feature is well done and surprisingly cool to use. I only needed it once today but I can imagine needing it a lot more on other courses I play such as Chambers Bay. Lots of places to get lost over there :-)

And now the bad:

- On two occasions the unit would not come out of sleep. The little blue light was flashing away indicating it was in standby mode, but nothing I tried would wake it up. I had to press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds each time and then it rebooted. After selecting 'Play Golf' again, it was very quickly back in action but obviously this is something I hope will not continue to happen.

- On a disturbing number of holes I noticed the GPS yardages (or I guess possibly the laser?) were incorrect. After targeting the pin, the display would show the yellow pin range arc completely off the front of the green. This was always when the pin was fairly close to the front of the green so it seems the GPS system was consistently reporting higher green yardages than reality. I wish I had my G8 with me for comparison but I guess I was a little too optimistic by bringing just the Z80 with me. It is also possible that the GPS data for the course I was playing today is a little off, which is why I really should have brought my G8 to compare. Next time ...

- I had a strange behavior on one hole where after waking up the Z80 from standby, while I was viewing the hole layout and targeting the green, I got a message on-screen giving a 5 second countdown to standby! This was while I was actively using the unit. It happened twice in rapid succession but the unit stayed on after both countdowns and it never happened again after that. Weird.

- It can look a little silly pulling out what looks like a laser unit on the tee of a par 4/5 as no-one expects you to be looking at the GPS based course layout inside :-)

For now, I'm a little concerned about the performance, particularly regarding the GPS yardages. I can't help worrying that the GPS system is not staying active to save battery life, and the accuracy is suffering as a result. I would much rather charge the device after every round and be able to trust the numbers.

It's gonna be another couple of weeks before I can get out again so any further testing will have to wait.

@wybrh - that means I'll be holding onto my G8 for a little while yet I'm afraid.

Did you do a software update? Should address the sleep issues.

Also you have to touch the black rubber under the unit to initiate wake up and prevent it from going to standby. If you’re holding it by the sides it will do the countdown to sleep.

Yep - updated as soon as I got the device yesterday.

Also you have to touch the black rubber under the unit to initiate wake up and prevent it from going to standby. If you're holding it by the sides it will do the countdown to sleep.

Understood. That is exactly what I was doing, both while trying to wake it up on those occasions it locked up, and I was holding that way up to my eye when I got the two standby countdowns. That one was particularly odd :-)

Thanks for the feedback though! You never know what tips and tricks we will pick up as we go with this device. The manual is not exactly extensive and I'm sure there is more to know. e.g. I don't believe the manual mentions holding the power button for 10 seconds as a way to restart but that worked for me. I did forward my experiences to Garmin. Whether or not they pay attention is another matter ;-)

Yep - updated as soon as I got the device yesterday.

Also you have to touch the black rubber under the unit to initiate wake up and prevent it from going to standby. If you're holding it by the sides it will do the countdown to sleep.

Understood. That is exactly what I was doing, both while trying to wake it up on those occasions it locked up, and I was holding that way up to my eye when I got the two standby countdowns. That one was particularly odd :-)

Thanks for the feedback though! You never know what tips and tricks we will pick up as we go with this device. The manual is not exactly extensive and I'm sure there is more to know. e.g. I don't believe the manual mentions holding the power button for 10 seconds as a way to restart but that worked for me. I did forward my experiences to Garmin. Whether or not they pay attention is another matter ;-)

I was thinking it would be easy for Garmin to listen to users suggestions and make the appropriate software updates.

I've been comparing the Z80 numbers with the Bushnell X2 it's replacing and so far the numbers have been within a yard of each other, most times they are exact. I don't know if courses make a difference or if BrendanH got a lemon but haven't had any of the issues he's reported.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I've been comparing the Z80 numbers with the Bushnell X2 it's replacing and so far the numbers have been within a yard of each other, most times they are exact. I don't know if courses make a difference or if BrendanH got a lemon but haven't had any of the issues he's reported.

Are you comparing laser to laser or are you comparing Z80 GPS yardages to X2 laser yardages? I also found the Z80 layered yardages were pretty much identical to my X2. Where I had trouble was the Z80 GPS yardages did not make sense when combined with the lasered pin numbers.

Are you comparing laser to laser or are you comparing Z80 GPS yardages to X2 laser yardages? I also found the Z80 layered yardages were pretty much identical to my X2. Where I had trouble was the Z80 GPS yardages did not make sense when combined with the lasered pin numbers.

I compare laser yardages to the X2 and GPS yardages to the S60. In terms of GPS, it's usually just to compare hazard distances, front of green and back of green. There are some variances but I dismiss those given the S60 is approximate distance to flag where as the Z80 is calculating distance based on laser reading.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I compare laser yardages to the X2 and GPS yardages to the S60. In terms of GPS, it's usually just to compare hazard distances, front of green and back of green. There are some variances but I dismiss those given the S60 is approximate distance to flag where as the Z80 is calculating distance based on laser reading.

So did you see different front & back GPS yardages between the Z80 and the S60? I'm hoping a comparison between my G8 and Z80 will yield the same GPS numbers. At least then I can rest assured I am not losing GPS accuracy by switching to the Z80.

So did you see different front & back GPS yardages between the Z80 and the S60? I'm hoping a comparison between my G8 and Z80 will yield the same GPS numbers. At least then I can rest assured I am not losing GPS accuracy by switching to the Z80.

I think the difference in gps numbers is the S60 approximates the distance where as the Z80 uses the laser distance to the pin and gps data. The numbers were never far enough off to impact my club selection or shot, so I didn't consider it a problem.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I am really intrigued by the Z80. My sense is that it is a complete game changer, albeit in it's first iteration. I would imagine the boys and girls in the Bushnell R&D lab aren't getting many days off.

My hope is that Bushnell will develop a version where the screen is not projected, but rather the graphics are overlayed on the screen. Right now the Z80 captures the image, then renders the entire image + graphics on the screen. This is the reason for the huge delay and also the reason that the Z80 is a no go for me. The optics just aren't on par, since the image is rendered. It is like looking at a Garmin GPS watch through a pair of binoculars. It is awkward and disorienting (IMHO). My hope is, as stated, that Bushnell finds a way to render the image on a secondary screen to the side, and leave the optics clear, as apposed to rendering everything as a post render. on a single screen.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

I am really intrigued by the Z80. My sense is that it is a complete game changer, albeit in it's first iteration. I would imagine the boys and girls in the Bushnell R&D lab aren't getting many days off.

My hope is that Bushnell will develop a version where the screen is not projected, but rather the graphics are overlayed on the screen. Right now the Z80 captures the image, then renders the entire image + graphics on the screen. This is the reason for the huge delay and also the reason that the Z80 is a no go for me. The optics just aren't on par, since the image is rendered. It is like looking at a Garmin GPS watch through a pair of binoculars. It is awkward and disorienting (IMHO). My hope is, as stated, that Bushnell finds a way to render the image on a secondary screen to the side, and leave the optics clear, as apposed to rendering everything as a post render. on a single screen.

I think the issue is Garmin selected a lower resolution EVF (electronic view finder) to keep the cost of the product down. High end mirror less cameras use higher resolution EVF's and the image quality is much better than what's offered in the Z80. I'm also not sure how Garmin handles the zoom, if they are using the glass or digital zoom to provide the zoom factor.

Despite the low resolution EVF, the Z80 is a game changer in terms of golf technology and I expect they will continue to improve it.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

It is like looking at a Garmin GPS watch through a pair of binoculars. It is awkward and disorienting (IMHO).

This is exactly what I thought when I tried it.

The EVF was really awkward IMO. I have a Sony RX100V (point and shoot camera) and I thought thats sort of along the lines of what it was going to be like, an HD EVF that was super clear to look at. Not the case unfortunately.

Either way, I love the idea. Maybe the execution isnt there yet but Garmin has a real winning idea on their hands.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got another chance to try the Z80 on course today. This time I brought my Garmin G8 GPS and Bushnell Pro X2 laser for comparison. Both my G8 and Z80 were using the latest course database (North and South America ver 5.70).

Sadly, there proved to be serious errors with the reported GPS yardages coming from the Z80. On the very first hole I used the Z80 to check the yardage to reach a fairway bunker and it reported about 7 yards more than the G8 did for the same target. Not too bad I guess, but on the next hole I again used the Z80, this time to laser the pin and it showed the pin off the front of the green in the built-in GPS display. i.e. It was greatly over-reporting the GPS yardages to the green. This time the error was ~15 yards compared to my G8. The pin yardage from the Z80 laser was almost identical to the yardage from the Bushnell Pro X2 so the laser appears to work just fine. This proved true on subsequent laser tests vs the X2 also.

I am aware that having multiple GPS receivers in close proximity can impact their accuracy. For some of today's tests I ensured the devices were ~10 feet apart when measuring, and all measurements for each comparison were taken from the exact same spot. I saw no noticeable improvement by separating the devices and all tests provided similar errors. The strange thing is how the Z80 always seemed to over-report GPS numbers. I never saw an unexpectedly low number as you might anticipate if the Z80 was simply reading itself in the wrong location. My guess is the GPS accuracy is suffering as a result of the aggressive power model being used, and they attempt to compensate by reporting the max yardage for the current positional accuracy level. Just guesswork on my part though. For what it's worth, if this is the problem I would gladly accept a much much lower battery life in exchange for having the GPS receiver permanently powered on. Accuracy is a requirement for a device like this. I can charge it before every round if I need to. I always do with my G8 anyway.

So it was very clear today that the GPS system in the Z80 is completely unreliable, at least for now. I say "for now" as I am hoping it is not a hardware problem and could potentially be fixed vis a software update. No such update was available as of yesterday evening so I played with software ver 2.30 on the Z80.

I sincerely hope Garmin manage to sort this out as I desperately want to use a single combined GPS/laser device like this. I'm afraid that this one is being returned until I am confident they have fixed it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I reached out to Garmin support a couple of weeks back after my first on course test. I listed a few problems I had experienced, including the incorrect GPS yardages. They responded a few days later and confirmed that they were aware of the issues and were working on software fixes. They did not explicitly say a fix was underway for the GPS yardage problem but it seemed like it from their reply. Hopefully that proves effective.

Well I finally got another chance to try the Z80 on course today. This time I brought my Garmin G8 GPS and Bushnell Pro X2 laser for comparison. Both my G8 and Z80 were using the latest course database (North and South America ver 5.70).

Sadly, there proved to be serious errors with the reported GPS yardages coming from the Z80. On the very first hole I used the Z80 to check the yardage to reach a fairway bunker and it reported about 7 yards more than the G8 did for the same target. Not too bad I guess, but on the next hole I again used the Z80, this time to laser the pin and it showed the pin off the front of the green in the built-in GPS display. i.e. It was greatly over-reporting the GPS yardages to the green. This time the error was ~15 yards compared to my G8. The pin yardage from the Z80 laser was almost identical to the yardage from the Bushnell Pro X2 so the laser appears to work just fine. This proved true on subsequent laser tests vs the X2 also.

I am aware that having multiple GPS receivers in close proximity can impact their accuracy. For some of today's tests I ensured the devices were ~10 feet apart when measuring, and all measurements for each comparison were taken from the exact same spot. I saw no noticeable improvement by separating the devices and all tests provided similar errors. The strange thing is how the Z80 always seemed to over-report GPS numbers. I never saw an unexpectedly low number as you might anticipate if the Z80 was simply reading itself in the wrong location. My guess is the GPS accuracy is suffering as a result of the aggressive power model being used, and they attempt to compensate by reporting the max yardage for the current positional accuracy level. Just guesswork on my part though. For what it's worth, if this is the problem I would gladly accept a much much lower battery life in exchange for having the GPS receiver permanently powered on. Accuracy is a requirement for a device like this. I can charge it before every round if I need to. I always do with my G8 anyway.

So it was very clear today that the GPS system in the Z80 is completely unreliable, at least for now. I say "for now" as I am hoping it is not a hardware problem and could potentially be fixed vis a software update. No such update was available as of yesterday evening so I played with software ver 2.30 on the Z80.

I sincerely hope Garmin manage to sort this out as I desperately want to use a single combined GPS/laser device like this. I'm afraid that this one is being returned until I am confident they have fixed it

Edit: I forgot to mention that I reached out to Garmin support a couple of weeks back after my first on course test. I listed a few problems I had experienced, including the incorrect GPS yardages. They responded a few days later and confirmed that they were aware of the issues and were working on software fixes. They did not explicitly say a fix was underway for the GPS yardage problem but it seemed like it from their reply. Hopefully that proves effective.

----------------------

As a long time user of Garmin devices (cycle & running GPS & G6) your experience is typical of a Garmin first release of a product. They usually get the SW/HW combination right within a couple or three firmware upgrade releases, which usually happen frequently after product release. I've observed the same bugs with my Z80, and it's annoying that they sometimes put products out before the software is completely baked, seeming to rely on paying customers to beta test their products. I'm surprised that there has not been an update to the Z80 yet.

edit: It's rare that Garmin gets GPS hardware wrong. I expect that these errors are SW related.

Well the customer service department is quite lacking. Before the release I called and asked when and where they would be released in Canada, the guy said he had no idea.

Also I’ve been emailing them regarding the “plays like distance” feature. I asked that the could incorporate an update to include BOTH the actual AND plays like yardage in the display. Currently it only shows the adjusted plays like yardage when that feature is enabled. All other rangefinders show BOTH. Two emails and both responses where completely clueless, I almost feel like posting the emails but don’t want to totally embarrass the company. You would think Garmin would value users reviews and testing.

Update on the Z80:

Like other early adopters have reported here, I've been experiencing inaccurate yardages and sleep/wake issues. Today I called Garmin support. Here's what I learned, an early batch of Z80's were pulled from the market, after release. They immediately offered to replace mine under warranty, either direct or via retailer swap. I could not get a serial # range of the defectives, but there's apparently no problem with replacement if you have the issues.

So I may have missed it. But how easy is it to use as just GPS if I don't want to go flag hunting on a hole.

Say I pull up to the tee box of a par 3 and all I want to know is the distance to the front and maybe middle of the green. So do I have to go through the motions of locking onto the flag to get those distances. Or will they automatically be displayed if I just look into it as I get out of the cart.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

So I may have missed it. But how easy is it to use as just GPS if I don't want to go flag hunting on a hole.

Say I pull up to the tee box of a par 3 and all I want to know is the distance to the front and maybe middle of the green. So do I have to go through the motions of locking onto the flag to get those distances. Or will they automatically be displayed if I just look into it as I get out of the cart.

The GPS is always on. No need to activate the laser.

The GPS is always on. No need to activate the laser.

Thanks. I figured as much. But when I watched the Garmin tutorial on YouTube. Something made it seem like you had to activate the laser which makes no sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Ordered tonight. Looking forward to getting it.

Vokey

Bought z80 and returned it. Love garmin products and loved the concept, but the execution of this was off. Pros and Cons below..but the biggest con of this device is that the only way to use the map is to look into the scope. This makes it very cumbersome to use if you're just looking to get yardage quickly.

Pros:

• Cool map
  • Great Concept
  • Legible in the sun

Cons:

• Looking to a viewfinder to get gps data is dizzying since you need to close one eye to focus. Repeat this 80+ times a round and it gets tiring and annoying. I rather have gps handheld so I can do things while walking/riding to my ball.
  • GPS does seem off - one time I tagged flag and it displayed it off the green.
  • Wish they would enable to cone feature by default, it is by far the most useful feature of the gps
  • Doesn't show the full map so when you're slightly outside the rough, you get limited useful data
  • With only 3 buttons, navigating the menu is tedious. Especially when it controls things like "Plays like distance" - "general distance seeking"

Got mine yesteday, charged it up, and took it out for my 9 hole league round.

Everything was great for 7 holes. Then it went to sleep and wouldn't wake up.

My only guess is it overheated. It was near 94 degrees and high humidity. It felt pretty warm in my hands at the time.

I was keeping it in a velour lined valuable pouch since the case is pretty snug.

I'll hope to try it again tomorrow to see if there are any issues.

Anyone else have issues with it not waking up ?

Except for this, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Vokey