2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Favorite Oversized Persimmon Driver?

wkuo-

Have you seen any of Teevons photos of Large Persimmon woods? These are what he listed...

Macgregor George Bayer, Cleveland Jumbos, Ben Hogan DFD,Mac Penna DFD, Toney Penna company Jumbos.

Take a look at tstephens photos earlier in this thread. In addition-

Texsport, Freddie, Canadian Crippler, Bella Woods, Ironmaster Bob and others have a number of outstanding persimmons.

PS- A few large LH Persimmons have been posted.

...Just not WB Kool Cats..

wkuo-

Have you seen any of Teevons photos of Large Persimmon woods? These are what he listed...

Macgregor George Bayer, Cleveland Jumbos, Ben Hogan DFD,Mac Penna DFD, Toney Penna company Jumbos.

Take a look at tstephens photos earlier in this thread. In addition-

Texsport, Freddie, Canadian Crippler, Bella Woods, Ironmaster Bob and others have a number of outstanding persimmons.

PS- A few large LH Persimmons have been posted.

...Just not WB Kool Cats..

Thanks,

Will search for the thread.

I am aware of several models you mentioned ( Teevon's thread ). Been searching for an Old Macgregor jumbo head painted black which Ben Hogan used in his earlier days. Tumor had he was pushing 300 yards with that driver using balata golf ball.

There are blond/natural, black, and what Dave Wood calls "COKE-A-COLA" finished Kool Cats instead of the bright colors.

Remember, Dave Wood is a formally trained artist - his profession today.

The brightly colored Kool Cat colors are actually taken from another source - FERRARI - that's right, you may not be able to drive the car, but you can drive the golf ball with a Ferrari Red or Ferrari Yellow driver.

BTW - another innovation Dave included in the Kool Cat is the aerodynamic, swing-speed increasing air foil crown - something current companies like Ping are incorporating in their drivers now. Dave likely incorporated this after his study of Ferrari.

Wood Bros innovations were numerous.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

It depends what you're looking for. If you are looking for "wooden tech" then I think your main options are Kool Kat, Louisville or Ping.

The more traditional deep face or jumbo persimmons are great clubs - but they're not making many concessions towards "game improvement". Though having said that, it's probably true that across the whole range of wooden headed clubs, you'll get more playability out of finding the right fit in terms of shaft, weight, balance, loft and face angle than any variety of head design.

There are blond/natural, black, and what Dave Wood calls "COKE-A-COLA" finished Kool Cats instead of the bright colors.

Remember, Dave Wood is a formally trained artist - his profession today.

The brightly colored Kool Cat colors are actually taken from another source - FERRARI - that's right, you may not be able to drive the car, but you can drive the golf ball with a Ferrari Red or Ferrari Yellow driver.

BTW - another innovation Dave included in the Kool Cat is the aerodynamic, swing-speed increasing air foil crown - something current companies like Ping are incorporating in their drivers now. Dave likely incorporated this after his study of Ferrari.

Wood Bros innovations were numerous.

Texsport

There is a pretty nice looking set of Kool Cats in Coca-Cola finish on ebay right now. Regular flex though and I need stiff.

Well, the Macgregor M09T showed up today and I promptly dropped everything and headed to the range.

First thought was it looks small, but felt very nice to swing. Didn’t measure the length but it has a the original steel stiff shaft. First two swings I teed the ball very low as I didn’t want to accidentally sky one off the crown, and promptly hit two low lasers which hit a few feet up the net at the end of the range 215 yards out.

Once I teed it up a little higher I hit two very nice trajectory shots that cleared the 30 foot net and the end of the range. The next shot I hit a bit off the toe and it started right but came back towards center but was lower and just reached the net, bouncing right at the base. I then hit a few more and and had really great results so I quit before I hit any clunkers and ruined the finish.

The Kool Cat should be here tomorrow so I’ll probably get it to the range on Saturday morning.

It depends what you're looking for. If you are looking for "wooden tech" then I think your main options are Kool Kat, Louisville or Ping.

The more traditional deep face or jumbo persimmons are great clubs - but they're not making many concessions towards "game improvement". Though having said that, it's probably true that across the whole range of wooden headed clubs, you'll get more playability out of finding the right fit in terms of shaft, weight, balance, loft and face angle than any variety of head design.

Well, the Kool Cat arrived today and it isn’t really any larger than the Macgregor M09T. But while the stock True Temper Dynamic stiff steel shaft feels perfect, the Kool Cat’s original stiff graphite shaft feels like a wet noodle. I’ll take them both to the range tomorrow for a head to head and see how they compare.

I am glad that I posed the question here because even though the M09 I got is an 80’s era model, it is a wonderful club. Never even would have known to look for that model had I not asked for suggestions here.

Well, the Macgregor M09T showed up today and I promptly dropped everything and headed to the range.

First thought was it looks small, but felt very nice to swing. Didn’t measure the length but it has a the original steel stiff shaft. First two swings I teed the ball very low as I didn’t want to accidentally sky one off the crown, and promptly hit two low lasers which hit a few feet up the net at the end of the range 215 yards out.

Once I teed it up a little higher I hit two very nice trajectory shots that cleared the 30 foot net and the end of the range. The next shot I hit a bit off the toe and it started right but came back towards center but was lower and just reached the net, bouncing right at the base. I then hit a few more and and had really great results so I quit before I hit any clunkers and ruined the finish.

The Kool Cat should be here tomorrow so I’ll probably get it to the range on Saturday morning.

Forgot I have a mint 80's M09 in my collection. Shown here with my 3 '50 M09Ts, '50 M09, '52 M09 and alone with the Dave Wood restoration.

Forgot I have a mint 80's M09 in my collection. Shown here with my 3 '50 M09Ts, '50 M09, '52 M09 and alone with the Dave Wood restoration.

Very nice collection of M09’s tstephen! The M09 is a beautiful looking club. I’m really taken with one on eBay right now. But a $599 asking price is a bit too rich for me.

Tonight I scored a NOS Muirfield 4-wood to pair with mine. Can’t wait to take them out for a round!

See if you like these

CHARLEY PENNA

Charley-

These prototypes are always great to see.

You know the one with the red/black inlay insert is my favorite...

Just wish "Toney Penna" had been stamped in the soleplates of their LH Persimmon wood models. It wasn't. Not a single one.

Was it a conscious decision to exclude the stamp?

The "Toney Penna" stamp is in the soleplate around the weight port, of nearly every RH TP model.

Very nice collection of M09’s tstephen! The M09 is a beautiful looking club. I’m really taken with one on eBay right now. But a $599 asking price is a bit too rich for me.

Tonight I scored a NOS Muirfield 4-wood to pair with mine. Can’t wait to take them out for a round!

I have never gone more than $400 for any of mine. Only $15 for the all original '50 M09. That is a good seller on eBay but the neck crack would have to make it much less valuable. The deepest example I ever bought I found that the neck under the whipping was a good 50% epoxy so I sent it back to the seller. The only one in my collection that hasn't been inspected under the whipping and sole plate is the all original. Funny that in my bag where my '80's M09 sits there is the most perfect Muirfield LH mint driver.

See if you like these

CHARLEY PENNA

Charley-

You have good taste. ,I doubt that it could be reproduced today. The neck is perfect. The unique feature is the insert. Eack color is a separate piece that goes from crown to sole. The black one is a perfect Jupiter Slugger. The Armour was a gift to me (circa 1960) from Bob Lysaght, the plant manager. They never made another one. Perfect swan neck 2inches deep. Toney didn’t like the black insert. All have original shafts and grips I hit the Armpur a few tomes, but never struck the other two

CHARLEY PENNA

)

These prototypes are always great to see.

You know the one with the red/black inlay insert is my favorite...

Just wish "Toney Penna" had been stamped in the soleplates of their LH Persimmon wood models. It wasn't. Not a single one.

Was it a conscious decision to exclude the stamp?

The "Toney Penna" stamp is in the soleplate around the weight port, of nearly every RH TP model.