Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Ok I lied about the posting in 2008... I joined in 2009 ... so adjust the date to 2009 ... Also I’m leaving my old WITB up to verify my old set up. I am not affiliated with Taylormade in anyway... my new WITB :

17 TM m2 Tensi White TX 75 ish

Same 3/4 WD

790 UDI 2 ( on the bench until I find a good shaft for it)

790 3-9 sane shafts as listed above

47* TM Wedge ( same as listed)

50* spin milled with money taper

64* TM high toe ( stock of the rack+lead tape)

TM Vault “lucky” putter IDK what the model is.... ( I was drunk hoeing online don’t judge)

Ball- BStone B330

ADD: continued shoutout to Will ...

[size=3][font=georgia,serif]WITB:
Driver: TM ,(17) M1 8.5* /HZDRUS T1100 (High Draw neutral)[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia,serif]FW: TM, (17) M1 3HL /GD DI 6x (Draw Open)[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia,serif]IRONS: TM, 3 UDI/ Nventix Nunchuck [/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia,serif]4-9 RSI TP/ Recoil Proto F5 [/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia,serif]Wedges: TM TP EF, 47* 52*/ Recoil Proto F5 [/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia,serif]Fourteen, RM 22 58*/ Recoil Proto Wedge [/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia,serif]Putter: Both Counterbalanced/ either Nike BB01 or TM DJ spider [/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia,serif]Ball: TM TP5X[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia,serif]MISC: Big time thank you to @thepeoplesclubs.com/ thepeoplesclubs.com is the only thing I can say for sure will not leave my bag anytime soon.[/font][/size]

... Good stuff paul.smoot. but I think "stick" is certainly relative. Most of the guys I play with think at age 65 and because I regularly shoot under par (on pretty easy tracks) I should be on the Champions Tour, which is a nice compliment but most definitely laughable. Playing with a mini tour guy and the #1 player on his D1 squad in Orlando last January I was clearly a hack. I remember just nutting a hybrid to a nice pitch range from 247 while from the same distance the mini tour guy flew a 4 iron with a slight cut around the trees guarding the front to pin high and the D1 player dropped a 4 iron over a lake and a bunker guarding the right side of the green from 239 to a few feet.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Outside of the personal stuff thrown out this has been a fascinating thread for me. So many times with equipment I tend to question myself, and I wanted the 790s to work for me because they are magic for so many. It seems pretty clear - if you spin a "normal" 7 iron over 6000, these are magic, if you spin it 5000-6000, they are great, if you're spinning it in the 4000's you could have some issues with consistent distances (again, not saying this as a rule, just as a working theory). For me, I am actually taking lessons to improve my swing path to hopefully get a higher spin rate and these next year when they are probably replaced by something else, will be in my bag once they are the right fit for me. Right now the Srixons end up being a better fit.

I chickened out on a blacked out 3 iron with black DG105 during the ebay sale yesterday. I still kinda want one, won't hit on range so should not wear too bad. It can always go in the back up bag, as that slot is currently open.

Trying to find a deal now....lol.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Anybody else noticing they have more draw/over draw/pulls with these? Gaming them now all season and my miss used to be a bad pushy cut but now everything goes right on me (I'm lefty). I checked the lie angles from the OEM and they seem to be .5 to 1* more upright than other OEMs. Wondering if people here had to go flat a degree or two in order to get a straighter flight?

I chickened out on a blacked out 3 iron with black DG105 during the ebay sale yesterday. I still kinda want one, won't hit on range so should not wear too bad. It can always go in the back up bag, as that slot is currently open.

Trying to find a deal now....lol.

I did too. They look pretty and I know they will wear more but when I saw the warning sticker on them I immediately went with the Chrome.

Anybody else noticing they have more draw/over draw/pulls with these? Gaming them now all season and my miss used to be a bad pushy cut but now everything goes right on me (I'm lefty). I checked the lie angles from the OEM and they seem to be .5 to 1* more upright than other OEMs. Wondering if people here had to go flat a degree or two in order to get a straighter flight?

Yes same here on two various fittings. I ended up going 3 degrees flat on my custom order with Modus 130S straight in vs SSX1, that I had planned. For my swing now, I get powerful straight ball flight with predictable workability for cuts and draws (slightly easier to draw still).

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Yes same here on two various fittings. I ended up going 3 degrees flat on my custom order with Modus 130S straight in vs SSX1, that I had planned. For my swing now, I get powerful straight ball flight with predictable workability for cuts and draws (slightly easier to draw still).

Interesting for sure. I may have mine bent a degree flat and see what happens... maybe even moving up to 120X ssx1 as well.

I like the P790 but am exchanging them for P770. The distance is nice, but my distance was all over the place with the P790. I'd hit 10 shots at my local indoor range that uses GC2 with my 7 iron and I'd hit 5 shots at a distance I'd expect (168-172). I'd also hit one that carried 180 and another one at 162. According to the data, my clubhead speed didn't vary much and my strikes were consistently center-toe. Attack angles were all similar as well. I took a P770 7 iron and hit 10 shots and all of them were consistent. I carried them about 160-165 and much straighter. For me, I think predictability becomes more valuable which is why I'm making the switch.

Can you recall what the other data variables were. According to Flightscope optimizer, the broad sensitivities for an average 7 iron are

1,000rpm spin change = 4 yards carry

2 mph ball speed change = 3 yards

2 degrees launch = 1mph as long as launch was sensible to start with so not much effect

So I'm guessing that anyone seeing big carry variances (like your 18 yards) must be down to both spin and ball speed changes as you'd need a combo along the lines of 2,500 RPM and 5mph ball speed variance for that. I'm a mid-high spin player who is also a digger and have had zero distance control issues with the 790's and also found the same with the i500's - I had both of them on a launch monitor for a long session yesterday. Maybe a sweeper who is also a lower spin player might be more inclined to get one that is a groove or two lower on the face and that is impacting on spin and ballspeed?

I honestly don't remember those numbers. I probably glanced at them but didn't take note.

@paul.smoot Why should I not get the pitching wedge?

[size=3][font=georgia,serif]FW: TM, (17) M1 3HL /GD DI 6x (Draw Open)[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia,serif]Wedges: TM TP EF, 47* 52*/ Recoil Proto F5 [/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia,serif]Fourteen, RM 22 58*/ Recoil Proto Wedge [/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia,serif]Putter: Both Counterbalanced/ either Nike BB01 or TM DJ spider [/font][/size]
[size=3][font=georgia,serif]MISC: Big time thank you to @thepeoplesclubs.com/ thepeoplesclubs.com is the only thing I can say for sure will not leave my bag anytime soon.[/font][/size]

Mostly my personal opinion... however, with my set up I’ve had massive consistency issues with it. It “feels”/“felt” like the club head slips under the ball with out compressing it. I was hitting it 135 out to 150. It could have been a bad shaft or a bad ... due to the head sheering off at the top of the hozel two days ago during a full swing.

Mostly my personal opinion... however, with my set up I've had massive consistency issues with it. It "feels"/"felt" like the club head slips under the ball with out compressing it. I was hitting it 135 out to 150. It could have been a bad shaft or a bad ... due to the head sheering off at the top of the hozel two days ago during a full swing.

Pictures Please as you must be the only one that this has happened too. Sorry to hear that, I would just make the switch to something else as where did you buy these irons? Im sure TM will take care of it for you with no problem. Post something on your new purchase as I'm totally satisfied with my P790's and would not trade them in on any another brand out there. I know other brands out there that are just as good as too many positive reviews out there to make me feel as if I should have bought something else. I love my P790's, Mainly it's because of how well I hit these on the course. Good luck in whatever your next purchase may be if that is what you decide to do.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Mostly my personal opinion... however, with my set up I’ve had massive consistency issues with it. It “feels”/“felt” like the club head slips under the ball with out compressing it. I was hitting it 135 out to 150. It could have been a bad shaft or a bad ... due to the head sheering off at the top of the hozel two days ago during a full swing.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

anyone use the 3i as a DI?

I am kicking around a black 790 3i with black DG105/S300, just for fun.

I am. 218ish on the money with the DG105 for me off a tee. I admittedly struggle of the deck with it but it's pretty consistent when I've got it on a peg. Considered doing the whole bent forward a degree or two and throw a hzrdus in it but it does what I need it to do presently so I haven't bothered.

On the dock should be here tomorrow

Well not sure if they’ll be here tomorrow or not. Over 10 hours ago I called and the guy said they are on the dock waiting to ship and will be in my hands tomorrow. Still no tracking info and order status still says “being processed”. Maybe FedEx 1 day delivers on Saturday and they’ll ship tomorrow.

Edit* And 30 minutes later I get an email with tracking and they wil be here tomorrow

My set (4-9iron) has been sitting unused in my garage for 3 weeks now. They came in the day before I left for my holiday so I haven’t been able to play them. The agony!

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

anyone use the 3i as a DI?

I am kicking around a black 790 3i with black DG105/S300, just for fun.

I have a P790 3 iron I bought for this purpose. Haven't been super impressed with the club myself. Hate the feel of it compared to my current 3 iron. It does go longer (lower loft), might play around with it some more but right now I feel like I will be taking it out of the bag soon.

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

If anyone has any of the black tour velvets with the orange cap that comes on the Black P790’s and wants to part with them give me a shout. I can purchase or trade some stock gray ones that come on the Chrome P790’s. I had the black/orange installed on my chrome ones but would like a couple extra for a couple other clubs. I put gray on my wedges yesterday but like to do black/orange on a couple others.

Mostly my personal opinion... however, with my set up I've had massive consistency issues with it. It "feels"/"felt" like the club head slips under the ball with out compressing it. I was hitting it 135 out to 150. It could have been a bad shaft or a bad ... due to the head sheering off at the top of the hozel two days ago during a full swing.

Pictures Please as you must be the only one that this has happened too. Sorry to hear that, I would just make the switch to something else as where did you buy these irons? Im sure TM will take care of it for you with no problem. Post something on your new purchase as I'm totally satisfied with my P790's and would trade them in on another brand. I know others out there are just as good as too many positive reviews out there to make me feel as if I should have bought something else. Mainly it's because of how well I hit these on the course. Good luck in whatever your next purchase may be.

Why did you assume he’s ditching the whole set and getting replacement clubs? He said he has had issues with the P-wedge, not the whole set.

...And what does “I’m totally satisfied with my P790s and would trade them in on a new brand” mean? Why would you trade them in on something different if you’re 100% satisfied with them?

Pictures Please as you must be the only one that this has happened too. Sorry to hear that, I would just make the switch to something else as where did you buy these irons? Im sure TM will take care of it for you with no problem. Post something on your new purchase as I'm totally satisfied with my P790's and would trade them in on another brand. I know others out there are just as good as too many positive reviews out there to make me feel as if I should have bought something else. Mainly it's because of how well I hit these on the course. Good luck in whatever your next purchase may be.

Why did you assume he’s ditching the whole set and getting replacement clubs? He said he has had issues with the P-wedge, not the whole set.

...And what does “I’m totally satisfied with my P790s and would trade them in on a new brand” mean? Why would you trade them in on something different if you’re 100% satisfied with them?

It just sounded like he was un happy with his purchase. I did say I'm sure TM would fix his club for him as I also meant I would not trade my set in on anything else out there, I Love mine. Typo on my part, it has been corrected. I just finish a good round where I was even par thru 7 then boogied the last 2 holes thanks to bad shots with my Ryoma 3W and SM7 52* and ended up shooting par for 9 holes. So far after a dozen rounds I'm averaging 80% GIR and 68.7% Fairways hit. Putting and short game needs a lot of work.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

So far after a dozen rounds I'm averaging 80% GIR

The top pros are only around 70%, feel like I should be watching you on TV right now! ;)

Just kidding, I'm just jealous. That is pretty impressive

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

So far after a dozen rounds I'm averaging 80% GIR

The top pros are only around 70%, feel like I should be watching you on TV right now! ;)

Just kidding, I'm just jealous. That is pretty impressive

I know but I don't play on the same courses that the Pro's play on, my par 5's are their par 4's. I need to clarify as I'm 80% when I hit the fairway. Overall I'm under 70%. I'm around 64% hitting Fairways which helps me with my scoring. In fact I'm sure that the courses I play on are not as tough as most of the people on this forum play on. I've also only played a dozen times. I'm just so satisfied with my P790's as my job is so demanding I'm lucky to get out once a week but as I stated once before these irons have gave me more birdie opportunities per round than anything else I've ever played.