What brand makes the best carry/stand bags?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a. SM 4.5 LM and I can’t imagine how any stand bag can be better than this. I have reviewed the comments here and went with a 4 way top. SM has always treated me well with my push cart.

And.....I got a deal through Amazon. The bag is $205 but the one I ordered must be a discontinued color, spruce, and the cost was $167!!

Callaway XR, 10.5. Fujikura Pro, R
Callaway XR, 15*
Taylormade SLDR 19*
Mizuno MP 64 4-PW, Project X 5.0
Cameron Studio Selecot Newport 2
Mizuno 52, Titleist Vokey 56, 60

Just bought a Titleist Staff Stand Bag, to replace my Ping Hoofer 14.

I think the Titleist is better quality and better balanced. More sturdy, yet comparable in weight. The Ping is perhaps better in terms of number of pockets, but the overall amount of storage space is better with the Titleist. They’re both very good looking bags, but I think the Titleist just about edges it.

Overall, very pleased with my new bag, and thrilled that it doesn’t have a stupid 14 way divider.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

The best stand bags in my mind were the old school Ping Hoofers that were made in the USA. They no longer are though and I think the quality suffered. I had a newer model that fell apart quite quickly. Ping replaced it (which was nice) but sold it and bought a brand new Ping Hoofer (12-15 old model) off the bay. Can't beat the old ones, they last for decades.

For staff bags, any premium brand seems fine. Most are fake leather but last a long time. Have an old titleist one, it's solid.

• 2 weeks later...

Sun Mountain closing in on a 100 vote lead. Recently tried a Hoofer, silly mistake. Sun Mountain is the undisputed champ in my book.

Sun mountain is ok, nothing wrong with ping. I just got a sun mountain 2.5+ that will have to go back. The material is so lightweight and the zipper is so weak that I can’t even zip up a medium golf fleece in the apparel pocket without the zipper failing. There is no question, the material Ping uses on their bags is much more durable than sun mountain uses on any bag, 2.5 or 3.5.

Sun Mountain closing in on a 100 vote lead. Recently tried a Hoofer, silly mistake. Sun Mountain is the undisputed champ in my book.

Sun mountain is ok, nothing wrong with ping. I just got a sun mountain 2.5+ that will have to go back. The material is so lightweight and the zipper is so weak that I can’t even zip up a medium golf fleece in the apparel pocket without the zipper failing. There is no question, the material Ping uses on their bags is much more durable than sun mountain uses on any bag, 2.5 or 3.5.

Yeah, 2.5+ is a great bag but not meant to put much in pockets. I hate the PING material, too thick and just doesn't seem like golf bag material to me. I prefer the sleeker tent-like material SM uses, but I could see someone preferring the thicker stuff. The tilting hoofer mechanism is where PING fails vs SM in my opinion. There's so much more effective room for clubs in a SM that ends also being quite a bit lighter.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Yeah, 2.5+ is a great bag but not meant to put much in pockets. I hate the PING material, too thick and just doesn't seem like golf bag material to me. I prefer the sleeker tent-like material SM uses, but I could see someone preferring the thicker stuff. The tilting hoofer mechanism is where PING fails vs SM in my opinion. There's so much more effective room for clubs in a SM that ends also being quite a bit lighter.

I’ve got a 16 ping 4 series that still looks brand new after two years use. I’ve had sun mountain in the past and feels like I’m carrying around a nylon rain jacket with clubs in it. Ping dominates the team bags as well, college etc.To each their own though

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a sun mountain 3.5 and liked it when i carry. But it sucks when i push. Does the base of the hoofer is better uses on a push cart?

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Sun mountain is ok, nothing wrong with ping. I just got a sun mountain 2.5+ that will have to go back. The material is so lightweight and the zipper is so weak that I can't even zip up a medium golf fleece in the apparel pocket without the zipper failing. There is no question, the material Ping uses on their bags is much more durable than sun mountain uses on any bag, 2.5 or 3.5.

I've got the same bag, and you've got to be careful when you zip up the apparel pocket when putting in a lot of items - I am careful to hold both parts of the pocket together when zipping up so it does not tear - may use some silicone spray on it.

In my experience with this bag -

You must watch the balance on this bag to get it to work correctly - in other words, it is not meant to pack heavy weight - I put 2 water bottles at the bottom and it was too bottom heavy - it's a bag that is a light carry - will fit all 14 clubs, a sweater, hat, balls, one camelback/water bottle, and rangefinder, plus tees, etc. When it's balanced, it's a great bag. But if you like to carry a lot of "stuff", I suggest a second bag.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 2 weeks later...

Heard a lot of good abou the new Ping Hoofer - Lite, 14 way, and normal divider

At the same time, it did not feel light in comparison to a SM 3.5 - felt more like a 4.5 in weight. The Hoofer felt like a 5.5. Was in the store and the bags were next to each other - was surprised. And did you notice that while Ping calls it "Lite", they do not give you the weight spec.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a sun mountain 3.5 and liked it when i carry. But it sucks when i push. Does the base of the hoofer is better uses on a push cart?

I've got the 4.5 and have the same problem with carts. Really does suck if you want a bag to carry some days and use a cart on others.

I'm looking at the Big Max aqua hybrid for that reason but would love to hear any other suggestions for a waterproof carry stand bag that will sit fine on a cart

I've got the 4.5 and have the same problem with carts. Really does suck if you want a bag to carry some days and use a cart on others.

I'm looking at the Big Max aqua hybrid for that reason but would love to hear any other suggestions for a waterproof carry stand bag that will sit fine on a cart

What exactly is the issue on a push cart. I am looking at the bottom of the bag and can't see where the issue might be? Is the issue only with push carts or is it also with gas carts? Curious as I just purchased a 4.5 but can return it if it is going to be a real pain when I do ride.

What exactly is the issue on a push cart. I am looking at the bottom of the bag and can't see where the issue might be? Is the issue only with push carts or is it also with gas carts? Curious as I just purchased a 4.5 but can return it if it is going to be a real pain when I do ride.

on a push cart, the bag doesnt sit properly. That is the issue

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Correct. The SM has a plate that sticks out the back and forces the legs out when the bag is leaned backwards. You can just make it out in the image below and it just won't sit nicely on a cart with the pockets facing forwards.

The hybrid does not have a plate that sticks out, it uses a two piece sole to the bag instead which sits fine on the cart.

Correct. The SM has a plate that sticks out the back and forces the legs out when the bag is leaned backwards. You can just make it out in the image below and it just won't sit nicely on a cart with the pockets facing forwards.

The hybrid does not have a plate that sticks out, it uses a two piece sole to the bag instead which sits fine on the cart.

Makes sense, thanks. I would assume then on a gas cart it is not an issue since the bag would be perfectly vertical and sitting in the bag well on the bottom.

Surprised to see Sun Mountain that far ahead honestly. I have had a few, one has completely ripped on the inside and the other was useless on a cart, like C-Rad said... there are other bags out there that do the same and more for me. I have to say, I think the Z Four by Srixon is an all around great bag... has the material of the SM, but bottom leg design of others that fit nicely on the carts. It's lightweight and has a lot of storage. Club tangle is minimal to almost non existent and they look sharp. The fact that this bag is out there for $80 right now is the steal of the century.

For all around durability the Pings are hard to beat, as are the Jones bags... they may not be perfect but they will last and do everything you need them to. It's hard to build a durable bag with strong material that is lightweight... there really is no perfect bag out there, just a lot of really good ones with minor faults.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

• 1 month later...

Jones bags are awesome. Significantly better than every option on the list, IMO.

Titleist TSi3 8.25* / Ventus Black 6TX

Titleist 915 FD 17.5* / Tensei CK Pro White 80TX

Titleist T100 3i-P / Tour Issue X7

Vokey Raw SM9 50F, 56F, 60M / Tour Issue X7

Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Proto

Titleist Pro - V1x