Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Rangefinder or No?

kcd38 ·  
kcd38kcd38  418Members Posts: 418
Want to get some feedback on the topic of rangefinders. I have used GPS apps before and they have been somewhat beneficial but sometimes when I play I do not have service. Have you guys found that rangefinder improve your club selection? Are they worth the price?
Posted:
Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, AD Di 6s
Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
4-PW - Mizuno JPX 919 Tour PW-6, 919 Forged 5 iron, 919 Hot Metal Pro 5 iron, all with Modus Nippon3 120s
Wedges - Vokey SM7 50F, 55F, 60 D 
Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
Tagged:

Comments

• aquapigaquapig  272Members Posts: 272
    Don’t know how I ever played without one. Especially if you play a lot of different courses.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Sam BennettSam Bennett  4Members Posts: 4
    In my experience of using a rangefinder. I would say that a rangefinder is very beneficial to plotting your way through a hole as you can measure anything in which you are to lay up/carry/go for. It is a lot more accurate than a GPS. I personally have the Bushnell TourV4 slope which is great as you can switch in and out of slope for competitive rounds and practice. The slope feature is really enlightening. In an ideal world I would have both a range finder and gps as a rangefinder works on line of sight and you can’t always see the pin/thing you want to lay up to which is the only downfall of a laser where a GPS has the upper hand.
    Posted:
  • AcmeGolfAcmeGolf  376Members Posts: 376
    Absolutely worth the price...I belong to a club that has GPS on the cart, but I often find a discrepancy of 8-15 yards. This does not even take into account using the slope feature. There are several force carries over sand and water, so it makes a huge difference to have the right yardage.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 10°
    Titleist 917F2 13.5°
    Titleist 818 H2 17°
    Titleist 818 H2 20° 
    Mizuno JPX919 HMP's 5-GW
    Mizuno T7  56° & 60°
    SC Newport 3 (T22 Fastback coming soon)
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker  3740Members Posts: 3,740
    Once ya go rangefinder, you'll never go back ! image/nyam.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nyam:' />
    Posted:
  • Whit1969Whit1969  1036Members Posts: 1,036
    I have used the range finder and the GPS apps, but honestly I am old school and rely on marking off my own yardages. Most of the courses I play have front, middle, and back marked on the sprinkler heads. I mainly just want to know the front yardage and then go from there. Honestly though I have a really good eye for seeing the yardage. My partner uses his range finder on every shot and most of the time I am within five yards of his measurement just by looking at it.
    Posted:
    Taylormade 2016 M2 PX Hzrdus Smoke 70
    Callaway Rogue 3 wood PX Evenflow Blue 75
    Titleist 915H 2 Hybrid Diamana S+ 70
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW PX LZ 5.5
    Vokey SM6  54, 58
    Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 

• NaptimeNaptime  654Members Posts: 654
    Def yes for me. I often need yardage to specific things like hazards etc and it's quick. Literally under 10 secs.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • JoelsimJoelsim  1329Members Posts: 1,329
    Whit1969 wrote:

I have used the range finder and the GPS apps, but honestly I am old school and rely on marking off my own yardages. Most of the courses I play have front, middle, and back marked on the sprinkler heads. I mainly just want to know the front yardage and then go from there. Honestly though I have a really good eye for seeing the yardage. My partner uses his range finder on every shot and most of the time I am within five yards of his measurement just by looking at it.

Not quite so easy when you don’t know where the pin is positioned on the green. In which case a rangefinder is a necessity if you want to get close. The number of times I’ve looked at the middle of the green GPS yardage, chosen the right club, hit it perfectly and then found I’m 5-8 yards away as the pin is at the back or the front has persuaded me to invest in one.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S
    Cleveland CBX 2 54 Rotex 
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 (Forward), Bettinardi BB39 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac),  Cleveland Huntington Beach #10 (Winn Dri-Tac), Scotty Cameron California Del Mar (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Forza (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cortino 2 (Piretti Grip), Kronos Mandala (G-Rip Fat Wave)
  • Shifty76Shifty76  349Members Posts: 349
    Depends a bit on the course you play the most.

Flat course with accurate yardage markers and easy to see pins? Probably no need.

Elevated / lowered greens, especially with greens where you can't tell if the pin is front, middle or back? SUPER handy.

My home course is mostly the former, and I'm pretty good at eyeballing within a yard or two of what my playing partners shoot with their rangefinders, but we have a few holes where you need to add a club or two due to the incline, and I'd be lost without a slope adjustment on those ones. Not to mention that you can't even tell where the pin is exactly on some of them due to the slope.
    Posted:
  • JoelsimJoelsim  1329Members Posts: 1,329
    Shifty76 wrote:

Depends a bit on the course you play the most.

Flat course with accurate yardage markers and easy to see pins? Probably no need.

Elevated / lowered greens, especially with greens where you can't tell if the pin is front, middle or back? SUPER handy.

My home course is mostly the former, and I'm pretty good at eyeballing within a yard or two of what my playing partners shoot with their rangefinders, but we have a few holes where you need to add a club or two due to the incline, and I'd be lost without a slope adjustment on those ones. Not to mention that you can't even tell where the pin is exactly on some of them due to the slope.

Must be my age as I have absolutely no idea where the flag is located on a green any more than 50 yards away.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Ping G410 19 Hybrid Stiff Alta
    Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Callaway Mack Daddy Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S
    Cleveland CBX 2 54 Rotex 
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 (Forward), Bettinardi BB39 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac),  Cleveland Huntington Beach #10 (Winn Dri-Tac), Scotty Cameron California Del Mar (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Forza (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cortino 2 (Piretti Grip), Kronos Mandala (G-Rip Fat Wave)
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy  2080Members Posts: 2,080
    Once you get one, you'll wonder how you ever got along without one.

Additionally, I like it better than GPS.
    Posted:
  • mantanmantan  2592Members Posts: 2,592
    LOL, it's 2018. That's a question I remember around here a decade ago. In this day and age, there is no question about it. There are GPS watches and apps on your phone, but the flexibility of a rangefinder can't be beat. From quickly measuring different targets on the course to measuring flags at the driving range.
    Posted:
    WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis

Advertisement
  • aypeeoneaypeeone  229Members Posts: 229
    I just bought my first one yesterday on eBay due to the 15% off deal.

I’m excited to receive it but I also think it’ll be really beneficial for the range as well so I can work on specific yardages.
    Posted:
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & Houston 2564Members Posts: 2,564
    gps on my phone for new courses to get the feel of the distances of each hole.

Rangefinder for every shot over 50 yards now, I could not play without it. I am useless at yardages now by my eye.
    Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • Double DutchDouble Dutch  561Members Posts: 561
    A laser range finder is absolutely brilliant. Especially inside 100 yards it’s very useful to know the exact distance to the pin.

However there is something of a break-in period where you’ll be hitting every iron to the pin, but after a few rounds you’ll start to realise that depending on the hole location it’s better to hit short or long.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
    Taylormade M1 3HL
    Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
    Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport original
  • GSDriverGSDriver  686Members Posts: 686
    GPS gives general distances, laser gives more exact. We use both, but rely on laser more than anything.
    Posted:
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • radimanradiman  4724Members Posts: 4,724
    I love having a rangefinder. I have had mine for about 4-5 years. I initially had a SkyCaddy SG5. I do kind of miss some of the info it would provide. All hazard distances were easily listed. It would track stats and link to my Sky Golf account. I could go check a range of available stats which was nice. Could probably do the same on a phone, but I'd rather have a dedicated GPS device if I were to go that route again. The yearly subscription cost could be a turn off. I won't consider a change until my laser quits working. At that point I will analyze available options and make a decision, but I would definitely get another distance measuring device of some sort. They each have their trade offs and benefits.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

Advertisement
  • Turmoil35xTurmoil35x  203ClubWRX Posts: 203
    I've tried multiple phone apps for gps distances, but always go back to the rangefinder. Can never seem to trust the GPS units in the carts either since the pin locations are wrong 75% of the time.

A laser range finder is absolutely brilliant. Especially inside 100 yards it's very useful to know the exact distance to the pin.

However there is something of a break-in period where you'll be hitting every iron to the pin, but after a few rounds you'll start to realise that depending on the hole location it's better to hit short or long.

This is one flaw to a range finder. You get the exact yardage to a pin, and it always tempts you to play that exact number. I've found it better to shoot the flag for a yardage, and then estimate the yardage I want to play with based on the location off the pin.
    Posted:
    WITB
    Taylormade M5 9*| Accra TZ6 M5
    Taylormade M5 15* | Accra TZ5 M5
    Taylormade P790 UDI 17* | Project X PXI 6.5
    Taylormade  P750 3-PW | True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Cleveland RTX4 51*, 55* | True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60* | True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Taylormade MySpider X All Black
    Taylormade J-Day Red Spider T-Sight
  • Mikey5eMikey5e mich 1065Members Posts: 1,065
    I have a Bushnell Neo XS watch that I really like. I find myself often times reaffirming distances with a person who happens to have a rangefinder in my foursome. I often times say to the rest of us a few yards either way doesn't matter for our ability, but none the less, I generally pay attention to the distance from the person who has the rangefinder. Three reasons I don't have a rangefinder yet,

1-cost

2-losing it

3-breaking down out of warranty
    Posted:
  • ShilgyShilgy Phoenix 11899Members Posts: 11,899
    Turmoil35x wrote:

I've tried multiple phone apps for gps distances, but always go back to the rangefinder. Can never seem to trust the GPS units in the carts either since the pin locations are wrong 75% of the time.

A laser range finder is absolutely brilliant. Especially inside 100 yards it's very useful to know the exact distance to the pin.

However there is something of a break-in period where you'll be hitting every iron to the pin, but after a few rounds you'll start to realise that depending on the hole location it's better to hit short or long.

This is one flaw to a range finder. You get the exact yardage to a pin, and it always tempts you to play that exact number. I've found it better to shoot the flag for a yardage, and then estimate the yardage I want to play with based on the location off the pin.
    Well sure-ya still gotta think! A lot of comments on how they are old school and their yardage markers have front middle back. What about off the tee and there is a bunker you are wondering if you should fly, lay up or go around? Second shots on par fives same thing. How far to the lay up zone? How far to the flag for lay up? Sprinkler heads don't get numbered back far enough. When they first came out I thought the same. Had all the sprinkler heads that came into play memorized so why bother. But they are good for much more than just shooting pins.
    Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • ronnbeeronnbee  1112Members Posts: 1,112
    Bushnell neo watch is perfect
    Posted:
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, Canada 7838Members Posts: 7,838
    I've had an S2 watch for a while now. I think I would stick with a watch if I were to replace it?! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
    In the bag:

Demoing for 2020.

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly!

Advertisement
  • fway123fway123  19Members Posts: 19
    I honestly prefer the ease of using a rangefinder to pulling out my phone and opening the app everytime I want a yardage. I think it's made me more accurate for sure with my club selection
    Posted:
  • kdog25kdog25  1685Members Posts: 1,685
    I’ll never be without one for as long as I play. GPS/phones can be very useful on new courses particularly on blind shots. I would imagine we’ve all hit one we thought was good only to find a hazard so gps/phone apps are great for stuff like that. But overall I’ll take a rangefinder all day every day.
    Posted:
  • craz-ecraz-e  4238Members Posts: 4,238
    I would very much struggle without one now, so quick and easy to use.
    Posted:
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    3 wood = Ping G410 Tour S
    Hybrid = Ping G410 Tour S
    Irons = Titleist 718 CB
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*

= Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • Frisco KidFrisco Kid  208Members Posts: 208
    I use my laser on the range mostly, but my GPS watch is much more convenient on the course. Leaves a bit of human element to calculate actual distance to the pin.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M4 Driver Atmos R
    Taylormade M4 3HL Atmos R
    Taylormade M4 5 lFW Atmos R
    Taylormade M3 4H Tensei Blue R
    Honma TW X Forged 5-11 Vizard Shafts
    Ping Glide 2 54, 58 wedges
    Odyssey O Works 2
    OUUL Gator cart bag
  • jlebeane13jlebeane13  334Members Posts: 334
    I use both my range finder and golf logic GPS app. Trying to get distances to water hazards or bunkers that I cant seem to get accurately locked into with a range finder or have a clear visual of to hit with a range finder is where I utilize my app. The rangefinder tho is what I use all the time to hit the pin with for my distances.
    Posted:
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Oban Kiyoshi HB 04 Flex, Tipped 1 inch
    Titleist 917 F2 15* Mitsubishi Diamana BB 70 S Flex, Tipped 2 inches
    Titleist 818 H1 18.25* Aldila Rouge 80 S Flex,
    Titleist 718 AP2 4 - 9 ProjectX 6.0
    Titleist SM6 46* ProjectX 6.0 SS x 1
    Titleist SM6 50*, 54*, and 58* ProjectX 5.5
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 36 inches
    Titleist Prov1 (2017)

Advertisement
  • benclabbenclab golfn702  1630Members Posts: 1,630
    I've used a golf specific GPS and a rangefinder and I like the GPS a lot more. Give you yardage to everything even things you can't see. Plus it's a quick glance, had mine for 3 years never had an issue and you can move the pin to see front edge, back edge locations as well.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Kuro Kage 60x
    Titleist 915 Fd 15* and 18* w/ Diamana WB 80x
    Mizuno MP54 3 iron w/ PX 6.5
    TaylorMade MB 4 thru 9 w/ PX 6.5
    Mizuno T7 48*, 52*, and 58* w/ DG
    Odyssey O works 1WS; 33 inches
    Taylormade TP5X
  • J-TizzleJ-Tizzle Hello  3445Members Posts: 3,445
    Range finder is the best money you’ll spend on golf.

GPS is nice if you’ve never playbEd a course for specific carries or target style golf. But for your normal day to day golf. Rangefinder all the way.
    Posted:
    G410 10.5* - G410 LST 14.5* - F6 18* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Hi Toe 54* & 60* - BG F22
  • gbartkogbartko Whooooo!  668Members Posts: 668
    My experience is that it takes too much time and I found a range finder cumbersome to use. For me it’s not life or death and a golf buddy clipped to my bag is good enough. I think Golfshot Plus on my iPhone is a great tool if I need a specific distance to a hazard or whatever.

Where I did find the laser useful was on the range as they are always moving the tees but the distance markers stay static.
    Posted:

Ping Rapture 12.5
    TEE CB4 Tour 16.5
    Callaway x2Hot Pro 20/23
    Ping i E1 5-U
    Ping Glide ES 54.5/60
    Ping iN Half Wack-e
    Titleist DT TruSoft

Advertisement
  • Natural1Natural1  119Members Posts: 119
    If a rangefinder counted as one of my (14) clubs I'd still use one.

It saves strokes and time. Best golf invention since the sand wedge.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file