2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Coming from X-22 Tour

frohboy33

Hi guys, looking for a little direction. I currently have some X-22 Tour irons with the PX 5.5 shafts in them. While I like the club, I feel like I need a bit more forgiveness as I get a bit older. I'm 35 years old and I'm about a 13 handicap. On a whim last week, I bought some used Titleist 714 AP2 with the C Taper Lite stiff shafts. I can't him them consistently, which kind of cemented in my head that I need some more forgiveness. I'm going to sell those 714's and get something else.

I really can't stand the look at address of a major game improvement iron, so was looking at something like the Steelhead XR pro Irons which I can pickup used for around $450. That's kind of the top of my budget. Do you think this would offer an advantage over my current X-22 Tours? Anything else you would suggest that's maybe around that price? I don't mind buying used or technology that is a few years old.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The shafts has a lot of to do with it.

I didn’t like the feel of C-Taper Lites, but launch wise, they did launch a touch on the lower side and spin side.

The XR Pros, they are firm feeling obviously being cast. The stock XP (are garbage in my opinion; would go Nippon in that segment) shafts on those are on the opposite spectrum to the CTL, XP will launch higher and spin.

Also, both of those shafts are on the lighter side which will have affect on how well you swing.

You could check out the Srixons 565 or Mizunos Forged if you are looking for forgiveness in the same ball park.

The XR Pros are just a modern kick back to the steelhead days for nostalgia and I don’t think you would gain anything tonyor current set. I like the black finish.

+1 on the mizuno forged (in silver not the orange), but if you want modern distance and forgiveness the Callaway steelheads are your answer. Limited off-set compared to most game improvement irons, so closer to what you’re used to in that respect. Callaway preowned is your ticket for those with the sale they’re running right now.

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

I didn't like the feel of C-Taper Lites, but launch wise, they did launch a touch on the lower side and spin side.

The XR Pros, they are firm feeling obviously being cast. The stock XP (are garbage in my opinion; would go Nippon in that segment) shafts on those are on the opposite spectrum to the CTL, XP will launch higher and spin.

Also, both of those shafts are on the lighter side which will have affect on how well you swing.

You could check out the Srixons 565 or Mizunos Forged if you are looking for forgiveness in the same ball park.

The XR Pros are just a modern kick back to the steelhead days for nostalgia and I don't think you would gain anything tonyor current set. I like the black finish.

Thanks Chuck905, I think you're right. After so many years of playing the PX 5.5 (I got the X-22s when they were released) the C-Taper's just didn't feel right or at least different. I felt like I had to load them up to get the trajectory and distance I wanted. I like the softness and smoothness of my 5.5's

+1 on the mizuno forged (in silver not the orange), but if you want modern distance and forgiveness the Callaway steelheads are your answer. Limited off-set compared to most game improvement irons, so closer to what you're used to in that respect. Callaway preowned is your ticket for those with the sale they're running right now.

That's where I was looking. I believe they have their anniversary sale typically in September. Think they'll have even better deals then?

I got fitted for the LZ 5.5 and not only is it a smooth feeling shaft, I picked up a few mph clubhead speed. I actually had it beat out the Modus 120 everyone was raving about.

I didn't like the feel of C-Taper Lites, but launch wise, they did launch a touch on the lower side and spin side.

The XR Pros are just a modern kick back to the steelhead days for nostalgia and I don't think you would gain anything tonyor current set. I like the black finish.

Thanks Chuck905, I think you're right. After so many years of playing the PX 5.5 (I got the X-22s when they were released) the C-Taper's just didn't feel right or at least different. I felt like I had to load them up to get the trajectory and distance I wanted. I like the softness and smoothness of my 5.5's

If you don't mind used, pre-2010 irons, the regular X-22's (non-tour model) are super forgiving. I still lament that I sold mine.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

+1 on the mizuno forged (in silver not the orange), but if you want modern distance and forgiveness the Callaway steelheads are your answer. Limited off-set compared to most game improvement irons, so closer to what you're used to in that respect. Callaway preowned is your ticket for those with the sale they're running right now.

That's where I was looking. I believe they have their anniversary sale typically in September. Think they'll have even better deals then?

I didn’t check current pricing but if it’s 25% or better I would buy it now if you see a head/shaft combo you like.

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

Hi guys, looking for a little direction. I currently have some X-22 Tour irons with the PX 5.5 shafts in them. While I like the club, I feel like I need a bit more forgiveness as I get a bit older. I'm 35 years old and I'm about a 13 handicap. On a whim last week, I bought some used Titleist 714 AP2 with the C Taper Lite stiff shafts. I can't him them consistently, which kind of cemented in my head that I need some more forgiveness. I'm going to sell those 714's and get something else.

I really can't stand the look at address of a major game improvement iron, so was looking at something like the Steelhead XR pro Irons which I can pickup used for around $450. That's kind of the top of my budget. Do you think this would offer an advantage over my current X-22 Tours? Anything else you would suggest that's maybe around that price? I don't mind buying used or technology that is a few years old.

I’ve had the X22 tour as well as Razr X tour, Razr X Forged, all with PX 6.5, I changed to TT BG X.

Then moved to Diablo Forged which were much more forgiving & helped me a lot on those off days when not firing on all 8.

Played the DF irons for 5 years & had no intention of changing, until a set on CPO caught my eye, XR-Pro / C-Taper Lite x 4-AW, liking the less offset of the XR-Pro & wanting to try the CTL I jumped on it & one week later I had them.

After two range sessions & two games, I sold my most loved DF irons & have not looked at another set of irons.

These are by far my most forgiving minimal offset irons I’ve ever played & they are marginally firmer feeling than the DF on miss hits, center strikes are awesome & feel like butter, they are super straight & long too.

I’ve tried the Steelhead XR-Pro & saw no difference in performance, in fact they were not as straight or as long, prolly the shaft.

So you could also look at the XR-Pro irons, two years older than the Steelhead XR-Pro, maybe get them cheap & splurge on a shaft.

I've had the X22 tour as well as Razr X tour, Razr X Forged, all with PX 6.5, I changed to TT BG X.

Then moved to Diablo Forged which were much more forgiving & helped me a lot on those off days when not firing on all 8.

Played the DF irons for 5 years & had no intention of changing, until a set on CPO caught my eye, XR-Pro / C-Taper Lite x 4-AW, liking the less offset of the XR-Pro & wanting to try the CTL I jumped on it & one week later I had them.

After two range sessions & two games, I sold my most loved DF irons & have not looked at another set of irons.

These are by far my most forgiving minimal offset irons I've ever played & they are marginally firmer feeling than the DF on miss hits, center strikes are awesome & feel like butter, they are super straight & long too.

I've tried the Steelhead XR-Pro & saw no difference in performance, in fact they were not as straight or as long, prolly the shaft.

So you could also look at the XR-Pro irons, two years older than the Steelhead XR-Pro, maybe get them cheap & splurge on a shaft.

Great info! The XR-Pro's were on my shortlist too, but liked the black look of the Steelhead XR-Pro. I might have to look into them again. Actually just checked on Callaway Pre-Owned they don't have the XR-Pros in anything I'd want right now. Bummer... Anyone want to buy my AP2's so I can make a move on something?

I've had the X22 tour as well as Razr X tour, Razr X Forged, all with PX 6.5, I changed to TT BG X.

These are by far my most forgiving minimal offset irons I've ever played & they are marginally firmer feeling than the DF on miss hits, center strikes are awesome & feel like butter, they are super straight & long too.

I've tried the Steelhead XR-Pro & saw no difference in performance, in fact they were not as straight or as long, prolly the shaft.

Great info! The XR-Pro's were on my shortlist too, but liked the black look of the Steelhead XR-Pro. I might have to look into them again. Actually just checked on Callaway Pre-Owned they don't have the XR-Pros in anything I'd want right now. Bummer... Anyone want to buy my AP2's so I can make a move on something?

Keep checking until your AP’s are sold, stock is constantly being updated. On the Steelhead black finish, they do look sharp but once that finish starts to wear down, they quickly look older that the XR-Pros.

Good luck!!

Keep checking until your AP's are sold, stock is constantly being updated. On the Steelhead black finish, they do look sharp but once that finish starts to wear down, they quickly look older that the XR-Pros.

Good luck!!

That finish wears? I was thinking it was black metal through and through. That's a little disappointing to hear. I can't image it holds up that well then.