2017 PROV1X vs. TP5X

flyhighandlong

So having been a 1Vx loyalist for the last decade or so, I decided the last week to buy some TP5x and take them out for testing. My God I'm glad I did.

This is easily the best golf ball I have ever played. In the wind it is unreal, not so much into the wind, but cross wind it just doesn't move in the air and downwind it's 10 yards longer with the driver. The general consensus that it jumps off the wedges just hasn't rung true for me, consistent flight with all short irons including wedges with the same stop and control as the 1Vx. Chipping is fine, again the same as the 1Vx, I'm probably willing to concede that 30-50 yard pitches haven't quite got the same grab but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I play a links and you'll be lucky to play two rounds a year with the wind less than 10mph, 15-20 is average, 25-30 mph at least a few days a month. The way this ball reacts in the wind is massive for me. I shot a 71 Friday just gone, a 32 (-4) on the front, wedge to an inch on 5, 8 iron to 6 feet on 6, wedge to 4 foot on 7 (25 mph downwind, got it to pitch and spin back to front pin), 8 iron to a foot on 8 in a 25 mph crosswind, ball didn't move off it's line at all. Then followed that up with a 76 this morning in 25-30 mph wind.

Changing the ball I play is massive for me, the TP5x is going straight in the bag, 8 dozen on order.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play the 2017 prov1x normally but I have a couple sleeves of the tp5x. Spin feels to be about the same but I can't get over how firm the tp5x feels compared to the prov1x. To me, it feels/sounds like I've just hit a rock when I'm putting with the tp5x.

To each their own though. Just my 2 cents.

Q

I find the TP5x to be a softer feel than ProV1x off all clubs including putter.

Me, too. It feels softer than V1X, goes farther,and doesn't overspin. Interesting ball

• 1 month later...

ive tried most of the "tour" balls and 15' ProV1x performs the best.... TP5 (non-x) is a close 2nd

I agree with this!!!

The current ProV1 is really a great ball. Great in the wind for once. If the TP5 and TP5X could spin under 100 yards for me, it would be a better ball. Low spin with a steeper descending angle is great for most shots, but not inside 100 yards for me. If TaylorMade can figure that out, it’s a better ball than the ProV1.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Ball is just too hard and doesn’t spin enough from 100 and in

I can tell from many of the comments on this thread that the greens I play on are a lot firmer than others .

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

I was a ProV1x guy for years until this spring. I tested a lot of balls and ended up switching to the Chrome Soft. However, if not for that ball, I would be playing that TP5X for sure. It was longer than the ProV1x and did everything else around the green the same for me.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

Both the TP5 and TP5x are both great balls but I kept going back and forth and couldn't decide which I liked best. Then I decided to settle back to my Chromesoft X and I'm happy. I could play any of the 3 though.

Which one gave you more distance off the tee, TP5, TP5X or CSX?

How many yards apart would you say that difference was?

There are 5 TOP Notch balls on the Tour right now, all VERY close. It's preference, for sure. I'll play any of them. Kinda ironic, but a well known caddy on Tour I know very well still claims if there were NO equipment contracts, everyone would be playing the ProV1. I see the Titleist lead shrinking, to be honest!

• 2 months later...

I,'m a low handicap high swing speed player and I've played the Pro V1x since they are out there... but this year I switched to the TP5x, it goes longer and reacts better with woods and longer irons and it is amazing how penetrating the ball flight is on windy days. Also, it doesnt spin crazy with the wedges like the Pro V1x..

I still think the best balls out there are the 2016 ProV1x and TM's 2016 Tour Preferred X. That being said, I think the TP5X is close, but feel like its durability compared to the 2016 version is a little lacking. Tried the TP5 (no X) and was not a fan. Haven't hit the 2017 ProV1x. Still working through the 8 dozen K-Sigs I bought the last time Costco had them available online. Fore the price I have no complaints, but the K-Sigs are a little soft compared to my regular "clicky" go-to balls (ProV1X, TP5X, Tour Preferred X).

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm surprised at the people commenting that the TP5X feels firmer than the PV1X. The TP5X is a 90 compression ball while I believe the PV1X is 105. I went from the PV1X to the TP5X and immediately noticed the softer feel.

Not an apples to apples comparison since there is no industry standard for measuring compression. Even if both companies were measuring overall compression, there are still many variables that could vary results. Historically TM has published core compression only.

• 2 weeks later...

Sound plays a large role in how people perceive the softness of a ball. The TM ball is a little clicky compared to a prov1, but honestly, it's really not bad at all. It performs very well.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok so... I'm not sure if this thread is still active. It looks somewhat old. But I just tried the TP5x and I love it.. however - I hit a high ball as it is and this ball off the tee was going sky high... too high I couldn't figure out what was going on at first. It was so high I thought it had to be me but then I took two drives off the tee. One TP5X and one Pro V1 (not x). The Pro V1 flew normal and the TP5x went sky high again. Next hole I teed the TP much lower and it was more like my normal shots. The thing is I absolutely LOVED the TP5X for everything else. It's like a rocket off irons and driver (if teed down). I just don't know if I can trust it off the tee in term of height. Will have to work more with it and see if I can work the driver out. Love the ball though.

I keep going back to the TP5X ball.... it just seems to perform marginally better than the Titleist balls. It just seems straighter, and it cuts through the wind really well. Both are great golf balls thought

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

The same 5-6 guys on Tour are playing the new TM ball that played the old TM ball. Nobody new, other than Rory. Those guys are under full contract with TM. Everyone else is playing either the Titleist, Srixon, or a few Bridgestone's.......Did anyone catch DJ's comments at the President's Cup when playing alternate shot with a Titleist ball?.......LOL......He was impressed!......So, coupled with that, if 90% of the playing professionals worldwide play the ProV1, what is the best performance ball out there?.........You can't say Titleist pays them ALL?.........I play whatever my golf reps give me!.....They're all good golf balls!!......If it's being used on Tour, it's GREAT!!.....

The same 5-6 guys on Tour are playing the new TM ball that played the old TM ball. Nobody new, other than Rory. Those guys are under full contract with TM. Everyone else is playing either the Titleist, Srixon, or a few Bridgestone's.......Did anyone catch DJ's comments at the President's Cup when playing alternate shot with a Titleist ball?.......LOL......He was impressed!......So, coupled with that, if 90% of the playing professionals worldwide play the ProV1, what is the best performance ball out there?.........You can't say Titleist pays them ALL?.........I play whatever my golf reps give me!.....They're all good golf balls!!......If it's being used on Tour, it's GREAT!!.....

bingo...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I still think the best balls out there are the 2016 ProV1x and TM's 2016 Tour Preferred X. That being said, I think the TP5X is close, but feel like its durability compared to the 2016 version is a little lacking. Tried the TP5 (no X) and was not a fan. Haven't hit the 2017 ProV1x. Still working through the 8 dozen K-Sigs I bought the last time Costco had them available online. Fore the price I have no complaints, but the K-Sigs are a little soft compared to my regular "clicky" go-to balls (ProV1X, TP5X, Tour Preferred X).

absolutely .. Id go back to V1X in a second if i could get a stockpile of the grey stripe 16 ball.... that ball just flies where i looked... I have a few sleeves left and every once in a while ill play one and amazes me how well i drive and hit approaches with that ball... And its sound off putter is perfect .

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

bingo...

The difference between most of these golf balls is minimal now, but many still think that Titleist has the best ball. The pro v1 is a great ball, only issue is with any wind. I will take the Srixon XV or TP5 (or TP5x) over it any day. Or even the Bridgestone B330. Nobody ever comments on all the players missing the cut or playing awful that play the Pro V1. If you have enough guys playing it, you can make any excuse its great.

I've switched to the TP5x from V1x the last couple of rounds and I've found it's about a half a club longer for me off the irons, longer off the driver, better in the wind but doesn't spin nearly as much on the 100 yards in or pitches. Feels firmer to me but I like that from a putting point of view.

Will be my winter ball.