2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

AP1's disappointing

ADB

So since purchasing a new set of 718 AP1's, Ive now played nearly a dozen rounds. Ive had far more inconsistent iron play than I can ever recall. My first round with them was decent but since its been very erratic. I hit alot of thick shots, or low sometimes balls that push. When I do hit one well its got good distance but those are not nearly as common. Today I experimented by playing the front 9 with the AP1's than at the turn went back to the truck and swapped my Ping G5 back in. It was like night and day, suddenly the ball flight was straigher and far more consistent. Yes, the Titleist are nearly 1.5 clubs longer but the erratic ball flight is ruining my game. Looks like I will simply take my lumps, clean em up and trade in the AP1's for cash. Had this happen once many years ago after switching from a set of TM Burners to Callaway X14. I never could hit the Callway consistently and gave up. I simply couldnt reproduce my demo experience at demo day.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the same boat when I first got my set of AP1s (714s)

Hated them. Tried to sell them, but no takers so I stuck with them.

After a season and a half with them now I love them.

I think my biggest issue was going from something that was even more game improvement, to the AP1s, which though they're still considered SGI or GI, still required me to put a better swing on the ball than what I was used to with my old Adams irons. The Adams were so damn forgiving that I didn't have to worry about making a solid swing - they'd go regardless. Not so much with the AP1s.

I'm betting very different shafts. Probably much lighter in the AP1 than the G5.

Or at least your description of the problem sound exactly like me when I try irons with too light (under about 95 or 100 grams) shafts in them.

Seems to always be the case for me. Anytime I try using lighter or heavier shafts than what I'm used to, or when the swingweight varies enough, it will feel like I've never played golf before.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

So since purchasing a new set of 718 AP1's, Ive now played nearly a dozen rounds. Ive had far more inconsistent iron play than I can ever recall. My first round with them was decent but since its been very erratic. I hit alot of thick shots, or low sometimes balls that push. When I do hit one well its got good distance but those are not nearly as common. Today I experimented by playing the front 9 with the AP1's than at the turn went back to the truck and swapped my Ping G5 back in. It was like night and day, suddenly the ball flight was straigher and far more consistent. Yes, the Titleist are nearly 1.5 clubs longer but the erratic ball flight is ruining my game. Looks like I will simply take my lumps, clean em up and trade in the AP1's for cash. Had this happen once many years ago after switching from a set of TM Burners to Callaway X14. I never could hit the Callway consistently and gave up. I simply couldnt reproduce my demo experience at demo day.

Same shafts from the demo day to what you have? Did you check the lies checked.. the lofts.. etc?

I'm betting very different shafts. Probably much lighter in the AP1 than the G5.

Or at least your description of the problem sound exactly like me when I try irons with too light (under about 95 or 100 grams) shafts in them.

Seems to always be the case for me. Anytime I try using lighter or heavier shafts than what I'm used to, or when the swingweight varies enough, it will feel like I've never played golf before.

I played for my first good many years with 130g Dynamic Gold shafts. Way too heavy for me but I'd imagine in a pinch I could get used to them now.

But the really light ones, it's like you say. I literally can't figure out where the bottom of the club is relative to the ground. It's like a flashback to my first summer taking up the game. Anywhere from a total whiff to hitting six inches behind the ball. It's a crazy feeling.

Sorry to hear. I can’t believe it’s the club though. The shaft possibly could be the issue though as others have such. My experience has been the opposite.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

The G5 may have a shaft around 103 to 108 grams, played a set 4 years ago.

Moved to the S58, rebuilt those, had similar weight stafts, and just average for me after 18 months!

From then on i used 115 to 125 gram, now dg r300 at 120/121 grams. Love em.

You may have an 85 gram shaft in the AP1, look for a set of XP105 or similar.

NS Pro in 110 gram also.

Then get Lie Test on the setup.

I NEVER criticise AP1's.......... was on top of a hill 160m out a few years ago,

and the AP1 player next too me lobbed the ball to 5 feet from the pin !

I know when to bee impressed and shut up !!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

The G5 has CS Lite R Flex 95 gram shaft.....the AP1's R Flex 93 gram shatf. No real different but.......the AMT Red shatf is ascending mass shaft so it gets heavier as you go from 4-PW

The G5 may have a shaft around 103 to 108 grams, played a set 4 years ago.

Moved to the S58, rebuilt those, had similar weight stafts, and just average for me after 18 months!

From then on i used 115 to 125 gram, now dg r300 at 120/121 grams. Love em.

You may have an 85 gram shaft in the AP1, look for a set of XP105 or similar.

NS Pro in 110 gram also.

Then get Lie Test on the setup.

I NEVER criticise AP1's.......... was on top of a hill 160m out a few years ago,

and the AP1 player next too me lobbed the ball to 5 feet from the pin !

I know when to bee impressed and shut up !!

The G5 has a CS Lite 95 gram shaft while the AMT Red shaft in the AP1 is 93 grams ascending mass as you move through the iron set. The AP1 irons also have a narrow sole with less bounce. I think maybe thse differences are the reason for the erratic play in my hands!

I just moved from AP1 714 w XP 95 Reg steel to AP1 718 w Tensi graphite stiff. Have played about six rounds so far and the good has outweighed the bad. Moved from 98 gram to 68 gram shaft so feel is different.

I do hit them higher and farther but not quite as straight as steel yet. I do expect to love them.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

Well I just sold them on Ebay. Got back most of my money seeing as how I got them at $200 discount from Golf Galaxy originally. For now I will go back to my G5's. A friend on mine has a barely used set of Ping G30's. I am gonna give them a whirl and see how they compare.

Wow. If they can’t cut the mustard then cut ‘em loose. Well done!

Bingo and ditto !! I wanted to love the Ap1 irons but they were no better than my Hogan Apex Edge irons from 2001. I switched to Mizzy MX25 irons and loved the feel, but distance sucked. Finally found the miraculous Ping G25 irons—real distance with regular lofts, but the big benefit was tight dispersion. Crazy good. The G30s have jacked lofts and longer shafts but are still supposed to be awesome. Good luck!

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

That isn’t too bad at all. Stick with them. Big improvement over Eye 2s, which I love (in my heart, not on the course any longer). I have other variables, such as bad wrists, age, and Swing Amnesia— shooting 81 one day and 93 the next...How the hell did I forget my 81 swing in one day??? For me, the G25 irons add to my game and swing.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Bingo and ditto !! I wanted to love the Ap1 irons but they were no better than my Hogan Apex Edge irons from 2001. I switched to Mizzy MX25 irons and loved the feel, but distance sucked. Finally found the miraculous Ping G25 irons—real distance with regular lofts, but the big benefit was tight dispersion. Crazy good. The G30s have jacked lofts and longer shafts but are still supposed to be awesome. Good luck!

Well after some real thoughtful evaluation I decided to stick with my G5's. Heck they have been good for so long...sure a newer iron liek the G30 or G might be a bit longer, maybe tighter dispersion but is it really worth the money. I ended up investing in 2 new wedges. Cleveland CBX 50 and 54 degree.

Well after some real thoughtful evaluation I decided to stick with my G5's. Heck they have been good for so long...sure a newer iron liek the G30 or G might be a bit longer, maybe tighter dispersion but is it really worth the money. I ended up investing in 2 new wedges. Cleveland CBX 50 and 54 degree.

I think G or G400 would be the first real, significant leap forward from your G5’s. Not so much G25 or G30 in my opinion.

Those CBX wedges look great to me and a buddy of mine switched to them a few months ago and loves them.

I think G or G400 would be the first real, significant leap forward from your G5’s. Not so much G25 or G30 in my opinion.

Those CBX wedges look great to me and a buddy of mine switched to them a few months ago and loves them.

G25s revolutionized the G line. Totally different club than the G20, similar to the G400, which I do not like as much.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Even though I love my AP1s , I admire your decision.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

... Different folks and different strokes. I have been saying for years now since teaching full time, that we should all play the most forgiving irons we can effectively play. Personally, I aways try to push that envelope and often effectively gets me when I go too forgiving. About 7 years ago I tried to add 3 irons and replace my hybrids and picked up AP1 and AP2 3irons and did some testing on the range and at the course. I really wanted to go with the AP1's but they launched too high for me and I did not care for the feel while the AP2 had an ideal launch and while not the best feeling iron, it felt better than the AP1. Now id the performance was better with the AP1 I would not care about feel, but if the same an of course in this case the performance was worse for me with the AP1, feel can make a difference in my decision.

... I gave my AP1 to a mid index friend that was playing AP2's and it is still in his bag and he loves it as it replaced one of his hybrids. He uses it off the tee several times a round and although he has replaced his AP2's he has kept the AP1. Different strokes worked for the different folk this time.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

I went through a similar evaluation as you and it is interesting how each player has a personal preference for clubs. It is great actually. Definitely worth a player’s time to experiment to find their ideal club set. For me, I have found that a lot of older quality clubs perform just as well if not better than today’s strange looking clubs.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Update on my progression with my new AP1 718's.

Played in two match play matches last weekend. Hit 13 and 11 greens respectively with an Ace on a 140 yd par 3 with the 8 iron. Liking them better every round.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

Played in two match play matches last weekend. Hit 13 and 11 greens respectively with an Ace on a 140 yd par 3 with the 8 iron. Liking them better every round.

Congrats on the ace! Too long to wait for a reply on this.

I'm due for a fitting soon- I will probably end up with either AP3's or AP1's, depending on how the fitting goes.

Mentioning making an ace reminds me of something that happen to me last year. I have only made a handful of eagles in my life (one of them an ace) and my most recent was holing out from the fairway with my Ping G pitching wedge.

A few months later I had bought some new Vokey wedges and was really, really liking them. So much so, I had the thought to buy a 46-degree one to replace that pitching wedge. I was literally set to click "confirm order" when I had a flashback to that ball disappearing into the cup. Why on earth would I want to replace a club that I can hit into the darned hole from 100+ yards?

I predict you'll be playing these AP1's for a long time. If you're ever tempted to look around at other irons, think back to this moment...

I just bought new 716 AP1S and loved them at first but then figured out that I cant move the ball around like I could my old set. zve worked on it and am fuguring it out. Ive shot more rounds in the 70s in the last month of owning them then Ive shot total in my life. Ive gone from an index of 9.u to a 6.4 in the last 4 weeks with these clubs. Im sure zi could essily hit AP2s but I live the distance and the forgivness. Didnt love tge 718 when I hit them.