Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

It looks like rounds both Saturday and Sunday ...... on the east coast.

Playing Baywood Greens Golf Course in Long Neck, DE on Saturday,

https://www.baywoodg...om/golf/courses

Playing Queenstown Harbor Golf Club, Lake course, on Sunday. Price was right .... gratis. (cool)

https://qhgolf.com/play/

I know this isn't really Colorado Golf but this Coloradoan is playing. :D

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trip reports (or links if posted elsewhere) are always welcome in these threads!

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Trip reports (or links if posted elsewhere) are always welcome in these threads!

I would tend to agree. I am sure a great many here on the Colorado WRX group travels to other places and appreciate links or insights of other courses. I know I do. One thing I always appreciate from Colorado golfers when playing at sea level or lower altitudes is the loss of carry distance. Jack Nicklaus believed that there was a 2% increase every 1000 feet above sea level. That seems like a good rule of thumb and close to what I see at 5,000 feet elevation (approx 10%).

Of course there is a website, or two, for frequent travelers. ;)

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Random question, the last time you played with a full set of clubs that weren’t your own (rentals, borrowed) how did you play? Taking a quick trip back home for a few days this week and am not going to lug my clubs for 1-2 rounds. I’m curious to see how I play with the set my brother put together. Lucky for me he is a ho who will have plenty of options

Before I kept a set of clubs in Sweden, my brothers-in-law would try to find the absolute worst set of golf clubs for me to borrow. Regular flex shafts, grips that hadn't been changed in a decade, clubheads that hadn't been cleaned for even longer, etc. I hope the club pool that your brother has around will be similar. :D

Wait a second...this sounds like the set I currently game!

Regular flex graphite shafts? Check.

Haven't been cleaned in ages? Check.

Worn out grips that need to be replaced? Check.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Of all the regional groups the Colorado group seems to be the most active. Why is that?

Could be the altitude! :D

new to the Colorado wrx topic but thanks for the heads up about it CDM.

Looking for input on Vail Valley Courses. We got the hook up to play Sonnenalp and Frost Creek in a couple of weeks. Anyone played either of them? How do they compare to each other or the Cordillera course? I have search the forums but there is not much information on either

Thanks for the help and if you have Colorado Springs questions let me know.

I've played Sonnenalp and Cordillera Summit and Valley courses. All of them are really really good courses. Sonnenalp will have the best greens and to be honest that is its best defense as the greens have some slope to them and are fast.

Cordillera Valley is really nice as well but the Summit course is special. It is one of the most beautiful courses you could ever play. The views off the par 5 5th is worth it.

From the 5th fairway, pic doesn't do it justice.

Of all the regional groups the Colorado group seems to be the most active. Why is that?

The MD/DC/VA gang have their own thread(s) in the 19th Hole forum. They post so much that threads automatically lock (I think the limit is 20,000 posts), and they are on thread #11 right now. Those threads are much more random in nature, though. Not sure why they don't move it to their respective regional forum.

I'll also say that the Regional WRX Groups forum is the red-headed stepchild of GolfWRX. It's not even listed in the Forum drop-down menu at the top, which is probably why no one ever visits.

Playing Queenstown Harbor Golf Club, Lake course, on Sunday. Price was right .... gratis. (cool)

Need a report back. I just got back from Maine and we went to Boston for a couple days as well. I made it to Boothbay, Belgrade, and Fox Ridge in Maine and then Dedham in Boston.

The northeast is awesome to play golf in the summer.

Got out to play Murphy Creek this morning. I was pretty hung over, as I had gone to the Rockies game last night with some longtime friends and things got a little crazy. Fun times. Given that, however, I wasn't expecting much from the round, just wanted to get out and have some fun.

Anyway, the round starts ok, par 1 and 2. Bogey 3, par the next two, then birdie 6 after missing a pretty good look at eagle. Par 7 and 8, drive the green on 9, 3 putt par. D'oh. I look down at the scorecard at that point and realize....holy s***. I just shot a 36 on the front. I don't think I've ever played a better 9 hole stretch.

Alright, time to put that out of my mind, can't think about what could be. Start off on the back, par 10, 11, 12. What in the world is going on.

Bogey 13, which sucks because it's an easy par 5. Whatever, shake it off. Bogey 14. Stop thinking about it you moron. (I discovered that's easier said than done.)

Bogey 15, another easy hole, after hitting a poor chip. Step up to 16, duck hook into the s*** on the left. Easily my worst swing of the day, just a half assed, hesitant, awful swing. Drop, end up right of the green, blade my chip, almost lose another ball, chip that back on, 1 putt. Smooth double. You kidding me? Did you forget how to play golf in the last 10 minutes? Ugh.

Step up to the tee at 17, stripe my 5 iron to 20 feet. 3 putt for bogey. Moron.

Get p to 18, hit a great drive, green in reg, two putt for par. I can't believe it.

I finally, finally, FINALLY did it. Broke 80, shooting a 78 for the round. First time ever breaking 80. Before the season started, I wrote down 4 goals. One was to break 80. Mission accomplished :D

I know people say to not look at the card and not pay attention to your score, but let me tell you - it's hard to do. That stretch from 13-16 was tough to get through. But man does it feel good to finally have everything finally click and work together.

So … I do not post a lot but needed to share my best round ever. Had the chance to play one last round with my son before he heads to college next week. We played the Silver course at USAFA. Not super long from the tips (just over 6500 yds) but relatively tight. I shot a tidy 72, with two birdies and two bogies. First time ever shooting even (+1 on the same course about 23 years ago was my previous best). Something clicked today. I hit 10 fairways and 16 greens. No bunkers, no penalties, and was never "in trouble" on a single swing. I birdied 18 to do it, with a driver, 4wood to the fringe, chip to 3 feet, and rolled in a downhiller for the birdie.

I like to read other threads about great rounds (like the one above me) but finally had the chance to post my own!

Hope everyone has a great late summer on the course.

drn92

Got out to play Murphy Creek this morning. I was pretty hung over, as I had gone to the Rockies game last night with some longtime friends and things got a little crazy. Fun times. Given that, however, I wasn't expecting much from the round, just wanted to get out and have some fun.

Anyway, the round starts ok, par 1 and 2. Bogey 3, par the next two, then birdie 6 after missing a pretty good look at eagle. Par 7 and 8, drive the green on 9, 3 putt par. D'oh. I look down at the scorecard at that point and realize....holy s***. I just shot a 36 on the front. I don't think I've ever played a better 9 hole stretch.

Alright, time to put that out of my mind, can't think about what could be. Start off on the back, par 10, 11, 12. What in the world is going on.

Bogey 13, which sucks because it's an easy par 5. Whatever, shake it off. Bogey 14. Stop thinking about it you moron. (I discovered that's easier said than done.)

Bogey 15, another easy hole, after hitting a poor chip. Step up to 16, duck hook into the s*** on the left. Easily my worst swing of the day, just a half assed, hesitant, awful swing. Drop, end up right of the green, blade my chip, almost lose another ball, chip that back on, 1 putt. Smooth double. You kidding me? Did you forget how to play golf in the last 10 minutes? Ugh.

Get p to 18, hit a great drive, green in reg, two putt for par. I can't believe it.

I finally, finally, FINALLY did it. Broke 80, shooting a 78 for the round. First time ever breaking 80. Before the season started, I wrote down 4 goals. One was to break 80. Mission accomplished :D

I know people say to not look at the card and not pay attention to your score, but let me tell you - it's hard to do. That stretch from 13-16 was tough to get through. But man does it feel good to finally have everything finally click and work together.

Congratulations. It is a lot easier said than done.

I booked ThornCreek at 7:30 and Legacy Ridge at 1:30. Hopefully the timing works ok.

I live up this way and like both those courses. Enjoy!

Thanks. I've driven by both of them several times. Looking forward to actually playing them.

Let us know how Thorncreek is. Usually new greens run pretty slow the first year or two, but they gave it a full spring and summer to get into shape so maybe it won't be that bad.

I'm walking distance to Legacy Ridge, but Walnut Creek is a better design and I play there more often. Legacy has a couple really dumb holes, but it's in good shape and the bad holes don't take away from it too much.

After playing Legacy I would agree with that. I’m sure it would be fine after having a couple of rounds under your belt, but the first time out there, and without a yardage book (or really, really detailed GPS) is tough. Just don’t know where to hit it.

Congrats!

drn92

So … I do not post a lot but needed to share my best round ever. Had the chance to play one last round with my son before he heads to college next week. We played the Silver course at USAFA. Not super long from the tips (just over 6500 yds) but relatively tight. I shot a tidy 72, with two birdies and two bogies. First time ever shooting even (+1 on the same course about 23 years ago was my previous best). Something clicked today. I hit 10 fairways and 16 greens. No bunkers, no penalties, and was never "in trouble" on a single swing. I birdied 18 to do it, with a driver, 4wood to the fringe, chip to 3 feet, and rolled in a downhiller for the birdie.

I like to read other threads about great rounds (like the one above me) but finally had the chance to post my own!

Hope everyone has a great late summer on the course.

drn92

That's a good one to post about!

That's a good score on a pretty tough course!

I can't score on 1 and 2 to save my life, despite 1 being pretty simple. I'm usually +2 or +3 by the time I get to the box on 3. Congrats on your all-timer today!

I'm walking distance to Legacy Ridge, but Walnut Creek is a better design and I play there more often. Legacy has a couple really dumb holes, but it's in good shape and the bad holes don't take away from it too much.

After playing Legacy I would agree with that. I’m sure it would be fine after having a couple of rounds under your belt, but the first time out there, and without a yardage book (or really, really detailed GPS) is tough. Just don’t know where to hit it.

Oh yeah. I should have mentioned there's a few blind tee shots and a few holes you don't want to hit driver on especially since they tend to move up the tee markers on weekends there. I thought you said one of your guys played there all the time. He didn't tell you anything??? That's pretty bad if so. You can really get killed out there if you don't have someone telling you where things are your first time at Legacy Ridge.

Oh yeah. I should have mentioned there's a few blind tee shots and a few holes you don't want to hit driver on especially since they tend to move up the tee markers on weekends there. I thought you said one of your guys played there all the time. He didn't tell you anything??? That's pretty bad if so. You can really get killed out there if you don't have someone telling you where things are your first time at Legacy Ridge.

No, unfortunately the guy who plays there regularly didn't play with us til Friday, so we were winging it! The one par five has a plaque that says 280 to the canal. That's good to know if you add a 25 yard draw to your shot. I thought I safely took enough off my tee shot, only to see it go straight through the fairway into the gunch. #9 was tough to tell what and where to hit it too, but I only I have my poor swing to blame for the result there! Kind of a neat hole though.

No, unfortunately the guy who plays there regularly didn't play with us til Friday, so we were winging it! The one par five has a plaque that says 280 to the canal. That's good to know if you add a 25 yard draw to your shot. I thought I safely took enough off my tee shot, only to see it go straight through the fairway into the gunch. #9 was tough to tell what and where to hit it too, but I only I have my poor swing to blame for the result there! Kind of a neat hole though.

That is the worst par 5 in Colorado. Terrible design but from what I've been told, the City basically made the designer design the hole that way. I guess they wanted to level out the canal area or possibly move it some and the City said no way. You'd think they would have just changed the hole routing or something but the way it is, is the way it will always be lol. Nothing like hitting a good shot off the tee and watching it reach the hazard or even stay in the fairway and you're in jail, forced to hit a huge hook, especially if there are any thoughts of reaching the green in 2.

That is the worst par 5 in Colorado. Terrible design but from what I've been told, the City basically made the designer design the hole that way. I guess they wanted to level out the canal area or possibly move it some and the City said no way. You'd think they would have just changed the hole routing or something but the way it is, is the way it will always be lol. Nothing like hitting a good shot off the tee and watching it reach the hazard or even stay in the fairway and you're in jail, forced to hit a huge hook, especially if there are any thoughts of reaching the green in 2.

I'm not long enough to go for it in two on #6 at Legacy even if I placed it just short of the crap in the perfect spot, so I finally decided the best way to play it is to just hit an iron to the bottom of the hill in the fairway instead of going for the top tier. That takes all the trouble out of play and if you hit it a little left you're still back far enough that the trees don't matter. That gives you another iron shot to 150 or less, aim for center of the green and get out with birdie or par. I've had too many times where I'm either blocked by the trees or go over the edge to the right.

I'm not long enough to go for it in two on #6 at Legacy even if I placed it just short of the crap in the perfect spot, so I finally decided the best way to play it is to just hit an iron to the bottom of the hill in the fairway instead of going for the top tier. That takes all the trouble out of play and if you hit it a little left you're still back far enough that the trees don't matter. That gives you another iron shot to 150 or less, aim for center of the green and get out with birdie or par. I've had too many times where I'm either blocked by the trees or go over the edge to the right.

That's what the guy who plays there said he does, just hits 4 iron off the tee.

I don't know if it's a hazard or not through the fairway, but that's how we played it. I dropped in the little strip of grass between the gunch and the cart path and played a hard slinging hook into the greenside bunker. But geez even from there I had to hook it 30 yards. And I was as far right as you could get while still being on grass.

But I'm still eager to play it again.

Shot a craptacular 85 at Wellshire. I was hitting the ball well, including a 336yd drive on #3 with my right foot slipping out from under me on the downswing, but I couldn't convert anything. A wonderful low-light includes a 3-putt on #9 from 18 inches.

Anyways, I see that GolfTec is offering $100 club fittings. Are they pretty good? Any location that I should choose (I can go to either Park Meadows, Family Sports, or DTC location) over another?

A buddy of mine is thoroughly amused at the lack of fairway woods or hybrids in my bag, so he posted this on my Facebook page. Although, I think it's more appropriate for TheKrushh. :D

38903794_10160663059500564_2810123829630730240_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=408b6ad7553bd6b5515cb81eb7dfc680&oe=5C107D98

Shot a craptacular 85 at Wellshire. I was hitting the ball well, including a 336yd drive on #3 with my right foot slipping out from under me on the downswing, but I couldn't convert anything. A wonderful low-light includes a 3-putt on #9 from 18 inches.

Anyways, I see that GolfTec is offering $100 club fittings. Are they pretty good? Any location that I should choose (I can go to either Park Meadows, Family Sports, or DTC location) over another?

A buddy of mine is thoroughly amused at the lack of fairway woods or hybrids in my bag, so he posted this on my Facebook page. Although, I think it's more appropriate for TheKrushh. :D

38903794_10160663059500564_2810123829630730240_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=408b6ad7553bd6b5515cb81eb7dfc680&oe=5C107D98

I have a 4 wood!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Need a report back. I just got back from Maine and we went to Boston for a couple days as well. I made it to Boothbay, Belgrade, and Fox Ridge in Maine and then Dedham in Boston.

The northeast is awesome to play golf in the summer.

I didn't take any pictures of either Baywood Greens Golf Course or Queenstown Harbor Golf Lakes course.

Baywood Greens has generally been ranked the #1 or #2 public golf course in Delaware. This course is definitely worthy of the ranking. When I lived in Delaware ('89 - '92) Baywood Greens, and several of the top public courses in Delaware, did not exist. Some call Baywood greens the "Augusta National of the north". I would say that in once sense this might be true when horticulture is the comparison criteria. Flowers, manicured landscaping, more flowers, flowering bushes and trees abound. The maintenance budget for flowers and shrubbery is rumored to be in the 7 figures. To say the visual appeal is nice would be an understatement. As for the course, bent grass tees, fairways and greens. Kentucky bluegrass rough. Front nine is more wooded with some water. Back nine has much water to navigate around. Fairways seemed generous and there were no real blind spots, only on a couple of drives but the line was pretty obvious to take. Course layout provided a good test of good shot making. Shots not executed precisely will often fine some trouble but is recoverable. Really bad shots will be penalized, as they should be. Getting back to bent grass fairways ...... I LOVE THEM!!!! There is nothing like ripping a 12 inch "Beaver pelt" of a divot on a finely executed shot. The shot I had that had me stumped the most was a LW approach on a par 5 16th hole. I laid up short of the green with a 88 yard, the green sitting slightly below my shot (maybe 10-12 feet). There was absolutely no wind during the round (hottest, muggiest round I've ever played in). I figured if I hit the LW well I would be close to the pin. I struck the shot very well, ripping a very nice "beaver pelt" and ended up hitting the shot about 95 yards with a slight spin back to 20 feet slightly above the hole. My go to distance for my LW is around 85 yards back in Colorado. It had rained pretty hard a couple of hours before the round so carts were path only. There was no wind and the sun came out. Temperature was in the low-mid 90s so to say the course was like a sauna is a gross understatement. I have NEVER sweated so much on a course. I even had to take my shirt off and ring out the sweat. My front nice really sucked but I recovered better on the back 9 after utilizing an old swing key to make sure I turn my shoulders completely (or as complete as an old guy can). Rest assured a redemption round will happen in the future (so I will omit what I scored but it was not good). The green fees for prime time is rather steep at $120 but the twilight rate is really decent at $49. Both rates include cart and range balls.

Queenstown Harbor Golf Club (Maryland) has two courses, the River and Lakes courses. When I lived in Delaware, Queenstown Harbor had 3 - 9 hole courses (River, Woods and Harbor). All three 9 hole courses featured bent grass tees, fairways and greens with Kentucky Blue rough. Today there are the two courses and the River course still employs bent grass tees, fairways and greens. The Lakes course has Bermuda tees, fairways and Poa Annua/Bent grass greens. The Lakes course isn't an overly long course from the tips or the Blue tees. I was fortunate that my buddy arranged the round with the Lakes Course superintendent. Another one of my golfing buddies from my Delaware days made up the 4th. It was an outstanding reunion of two of my best golfing partners I have ever had. Getting back to Queenstown Lakes course, any ball landing in the fairway found a Bermuda grass carpet it was sitting on. Lies were perfect and I was fortunate to find more fairways than not. Shots ending up in the Bermuda rough either sat down in the rough. If the ball happened to sit up (as it did for me after a couple of drives) remember to choke up a little or you'll end up hitting the ball like I did, high off the face. The Lakes course definitely features some target golf. My drive on #4 (504 yard par 5) went through the fairway into the rough. I picked a line to lay up on with a 7 iron but the line was wrong and I hit the ball in the water lining the right side of the hole. After a drop and pitch to the green I took two putts and ended up with a stupid bogey. That was my fault. However, if the correct lines are taken this course can be scored well on. It was still humid but a nice breeze off the Chesapeake Bay was soothing as compared to Baywood Greens the day before. I eeked out an 80 with a flop shot pitch from just left of a greenside bunker into the hole on #7 for a birdie (only birdie of the day). As much as I enjoyed the Lakes course I am looking forward to getting back on to the River course.

When golfing in August in the Mid-Atlantic states be prepared for a lot of humidity. Also, balls don't carry as far as they do back in Colorado and the more humidity the less the ball tends to travel. Side motion (in my case a draw to a hook) is accentuated as well. However, I can generate a good amount of spin from wedge shots. The two hop and stop wedge shots we see regularly on TV was definitely possible yesterday on Queenstown Lakes course of the perfectly manicured Bermuda fairways and I pulled that off several times. Next time I'll remember to take pictures. :)

Congratulations on breaking 80, and by a couple of strokes!!!