2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MEMBERS' CHOICE: Best driver of 2018? Poll added

knudson81

I haven't posted in here for years and have been lurking all year, waiting to get a true sense off the best driver out...

Let me say this, i'm about a 12 handicap and swing about 102-110 mph but just needed something to help me take out the big misses and the OBs.

The Ping g400 Max unbelievable.

I hit it on the monitor really well and gamed it today for a round and I must say... if youre in the market and you're like me who just wants to be consistent, this thing is off the charts.

I don't think i hit one of the center of the club face today, and played from the fairway a bunch, even rolled through a couple. Hit one closer to the hosel (Fade) hit some high on the face (Straight)

I've never felt more confident on a tee box. What a great piece of equipment!

I'm gaming a 917D2 with a Tour AD IZ 7X shaft. love it. However, I'm always interested in the latest and greatest to see if I can increase distance even more. For whatever reason, I just can't get a TM/Callaway driver to straighten out for me. I've hit the G400 a couple times and have had better luck but not hitting it any farther really. Gonna keep rocking Titleist until I'm fit with something that's noticeably better at this point

I'm gaming a 917D2 with a Tour AD IZ 7X shaft. love it. However, I'm always interested in the latest and greatest to see if I can increase distance even more. For whatever reason, I just can't get a TM/Callaway driver to straighten out for me. I've hit the G400 a couple times and have had better luck but not hitting it any farther really. Gonna keep rocking Titleist until I'm fit with something that's noticeably better at this point

... I played with a young man from Canada, now living in Orlando that has won a few times on the mini tours. Just bombed it off the tee. I was playing an Epic at the time and he had a Sub Zero that he said he normally hit around 310-320 but would lose a ball every now and then with it. His gamer was a 917 D3 that spun much more, around 2700 but was a fairway finder. He was hitting both off each tee and the SZ was usually 15-20 yds longer but often in the rough and on #7 he hit one that started right and curved more right a good 50 yds into the trees. Pulled out his D3 and put it in the middle at around 295 yds. I asked him if it was the club or him and for someone 24 yrs old he had a very mature response "Does it really matter?" That was the last hole he hit the SZ and was amazingly consistent for the rest of the round with his D3. If it works, it works.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Just did an hour and a half driver fitting session and tested a bunch of heads and shafts. The TM M4 was definitely the best for me. I thought the G400 was hideous to look at personally! Surprised so many like it. The other drivers weren't too far behind the TM M4 as far as numbers....

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

Ping just keeps innovating and producing outstanding clubs with minimal amount of adjustability.

The G400 Max is fantastic !! .

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Mizuno STZ- 230 22 Hybrid  ,LIN-Q Blue 

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T24 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

G400 Max for me, and it's not even close!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

This survey is like... what did you buy. Every driver can be fit to you and perform very well.

I think folks are too obsessed with getting perfect launch monitor numbers at the risk of playability. Finding something that gives you confidence to get around the course and keeps you in play is far more important than a few more potential yards.

If you look at the PGA Tour, you'll see trends but it doesn't tell the whole story. Custom hot melts, tour specific heads, and off the shelf heads too with an endless selection of shaft options. They have the ability to spend weeks fine tuning, and if we're being honest, repeatable swings that can be better dialed in.

If you look at the longest drivers on tour this year you'll see new, old, different models, different manufacturers, different shafts.... everyone is different, even at the pro level, and it's about first getting fit, and second (and more important part), taking it to the course to determine playability in the real world.

1. Tony Finau, 329.1 yards

Ping G400 Max (9 degrees at 9.5), with Accra Tour Z X485 M5 shaft

T2. Trey Mullinax, 319.5 yards

Ping G400 Max (9.0 degrees at 7.9), with Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60 TX shaft

T2. Kevin Tway, 319.5 yards

TaylorMade M2 2017 (9.5 degrees), with Mitsubishi Tensei CK White shaft

4. Luke List, 317.8 yards

TaylorMade M4 (8.5 degrees), with Mitsubishi Diamana D+ shaft

5. Justin Rose, 316.5 yards

TaylorMade M3 460 (9.5 degrees), with Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange shaft

6. Graham DeLaet, 315.9

Titleist 917D3 (8.5 degrees), with UST Mamiya Elements shaft

7. Ryan Palmer, 315.6

TaylorMade M1 2016 (9.5 degrees), with Accra Tour Z RPG shaft

8. Jason Day, 315.4 yards

TaylorMade M3 460 (10.5 degrees), with TPT Golf shaft

T9. Brandon Hagy, 313.4

Ping G400 Max (9.0 degrees), with Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60 TX shaft

T9. Gary Woodland, 313.4

TaylorMade M3 440 (9 degrees adjusted to 8.5), with Accra Tour Z RPG shaft

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I finally had a chance to try these 2 most talked about clubs of the season.. PING G400 and Callaway Rogue Sub Zero.

One thing I can say is both are beautiful clubs, works of engineering and art, and a true pleasure to hold.

I can see how a great golfer would be able to use both clubs to create an advantage, however for me, the Ping was much easier to square up on the ball. With the Sub Zero I was floating all over the place.

I'm going to keep my simple Cobra driver as my skill is not advanced enough to warrant the purchase of a new club, but if I was going to get one, I know what it would be.

I finally had a chance to try these 2 most talked about clubs of the season.. PING G400 and Callaway Rogue Sub Zero.

One thing I can say is both are beautiful clubs, works of engineering and art, and a true pleasure to hold.

I can see how a great golfer would be able to use both clubs to create an advantage, however for me, the Ping was much easier to square up on the ball. With the Sub Zero I was floating all over the place.

I'm going to keep my simple Cobra driver as my skill is not advanced enough to warrant the purchase of a new club, but if I was going to get one, I know what it would be.

... Well my skill level is advanced enough to buy a new driver if it performs and I still bought a Cobra. I really wanted to love the Rogue SZ but I just hit it inconsistently. My best shots were longer than my F8, but on average I am longer and most importantly, in the fairway with the F8. I will happily give up 5-10 yds on a once in a few round bomb for longer drives on average.

... I have said this before in other threads but standing in one spot and hitting a single club can produce a false idea of how that club will perform on the course during a round. First of course, the balls you hit on a LM or at the range don't count, so there is a freedom to your swing that does not always exist on the course because every swing counts when playing. The SZ is added to my list of the G30 LS and R1 that all performed excellent on a LM at the range but just very inconsistent on the course. Obviously it is me, not the club per se, but in the end it really doesn't matter because either a driver works for your swing or it doesn't. As previous poster listed, all drivers work very well for someone.

... I hit the G400 at the show and I know it is an improvement over pervious generations but I just don't care for the sound/feel and hate the way it looks at address. I wish I were focused on the ball enough to not even notice, but alas I do. And now my 28yr old son would tar and feather me if I switched LOL. I put him in my old Fly Z with a Nunchuk and a 16gm weight at 44.25" and he can cary it 290-300 and normally around 280. I probably average around 265-275 total distance although the F8 can get me near 300. I told him the F8 is just an updated and improved Fly Z so when I am demoing another driver he always shakes his head and says "You don't hit that as well as the F8 Dad. When are you gonna learn?"

Titleist 917 D3 with Diamana White. Nothing better!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

These results don't correlate with what I see on the course. At my local club in Sydney Australia the overwhelmingly most popular driver is the 2017 M2, followed by the 2017 M1. Across all handicap ranges all I see is 2017 TM drivers. I know this thread is about 2018, but at my club there aren't many 2018 models. But even from the few new drivers I see out there the M3/4 would outnumber the rest put together. From the last couple years I have hardly seen an epic or 917 driver in play. A few Pings but mostly M1/2s.

For transparency I don't play TM and not a fanboy, I have hit them a couple times and didn't see what all the fuss was about. Just saying what I see in other guys bags.

It's a different game over here. Access to things not named TaylorMade is just less down here. TaylorMade gets into all the sports shops, Callaway gets into the big-box sports stores, and everyone fights for the rest. Pings are sold at exactly two stores here in a city of a half-million; one specialty boutique that has a small version fitting cart and one course that has a few demos and the ability to order. Also outside TaylorMade, many of the competitors can't compete on price. I know that list for my G400LST with a TiNi was $980NZ, which is $700US (Post "sales tax" here of 15%). It's not a whole lot more, and often is at parity when you get a good deal, but the ability to try things is just not the same as the US. It's not even close. Australia has some nice options in Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane, but TM has that de facto power.

I'd also wager strongly those M1s are not custom. Custom clubs are fairly unheard of here... and it's a shame.

The TMs I see are definitely not custom. All stock offerings, and likely most are off the shelf and not even fitted.

A real good ball striker at my club said the M2 he got was longer than his old Ping when he really gets into it, but not as consistent distance or accuracy wise.

That’s why I had mine cutdown and added lead tape.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

That’s why I had mine cutdown and added lead tape.

This ^^ I cut mine down to 44.75 and just added the 18 gram weight into the back of my M2. Was EXTREMELY inconsistent when I first got it. 45.5 length and had a 6 gram weight in when I first got it. They are just making the clubs too light and long now to play in to the "distance" mindset. I'm still thinking of adding some lead tape to it. Head currently is still under 200g after adding the 18g weight.

I like a heavier driver and my last one before was 205g.

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

• 3 weeks later...

I love ping clubs. Reading the tid bits on golf companies R&D departments I can honestly say no one compares to Ping. They don't release clubs unless they're better. This is why you'd never see a driver release in Jan, then replaced in June, then replaced in September, then released again in December and then a new model dropped in March. BUT SOME companies do this and its a grab for more of your money. Trust in R&D. Researching and developing using the best players on earth and backing it all up with Science - not commercials with guys 'casually walking through a golf course chatting about the latest marketing line' hahaha, you know who I'm talking about.

The G series is absolutely amazing. The science behind the club engineering is amazing. Seeing the aerodymanics, face profiles, etc work in action. I've hit just about everything out there and it feels great but I'm just not sure its improved over what was released 12 months ago. Plus 1 for the ping clubs.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter:
Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW:
Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW:
Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW:
Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips: 
Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Had a quick 10 minute launch monitor session with the Rogue Sub Zero with a HZRDUS yellow and I'm in love!! Swing speed was from 105-108 and was consistently in the 275-295 with a max distance of 308. Backspin was always around 2100-2300 with launch angle between 15-17. Even hit one badly off the heel and still went straight and 255.

My 9015d with Rombaz may be in danger.

-917 struggles with ball speed

-Rogue Sub Zero is awesome on ball speed, but who know where it is going

-m4 struggles with efficiency, but you can swing faster with it so that makes up for the s*** smash factor

-m3 is decent

-g400 max is AMAZING for the guy who does not struggle with spin

-g400 LST is slightly behind the g400 Max only because it does not fit to nearly as many people, but for a low spin driver, and it is pretty low spin, it is an awesome driver

Titleist TS3 9.5* - Tour AD-GP 7X

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15* - UST VTS Black 8X

Adams Pro Mini 21* - SteelFiber 110X

Bridgestone Golf J40 CB (4-PW) - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Vokey SM8 50F - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 56 - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 60 - Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5

Testing my Ping 400 Max (Hzrdus T1100) against a M3 with Tensei Pro Orange 70tx and I think the Ping is in trouble...

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

Ping G400 Max for me. Very forgiving and the ball just explodes off the face.

G400 LST is my second favorite driver with M3 440 rounding out my top 3.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

I can't believe that WRXers are proving that the American marketing machine is failing. Don't you know that the last 3 majors have been won using TM drivers? Plus, I don't think they are staffers either and still PING has twice as many votes here as TM. It is like you guys are actually trying things out yourself and picking what works best instead of just buying what the pros play. And with the TW following here....all I read is how TW is the only thing that moves the needle in golf. That should double the TM usage alone ;-))

All tongue and cheek and actually a little refreshing. FWIW, I did get the best monitor numbers with the TM.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD