2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

suggestions for older QUALITY woods?

I've been reading up on older quality irons, like Ping Eye 2, Tommy Amour 845s, DCIs, etc...

I'm looking for a used set of 845s.

I was wondering what your recommendations would be for a solid set of older quality woods? The irons I'm going for would be 4-W so maybe 1W, 3W and possibly 5W. If the set is matching great, if there is one 3W you loved and would still recommend but it doesn't match the others 1 or 5 I'd like to know what are everyone's thoughts on a good decent set of woods?

Thank you for the help and suggestions, I'm looking for a starting point on the woods as I think I'm going to like the 845s.

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now are you going persimmon or early metal? I can help some on the persimmon but was still playing persimmon in the early metal days which were the Big Bertha days etc.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

So many awesome persimmons out there. I'm a fan of the mid century MacGregors and Spaldings (50s-60s).

Hard to go wrong though so long as you find head shapes and shafts you like.

If you like Eye2s and 845 irons, any of the ping laminates will pair great.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

So many awesome persimmons out there. I'm a fan of the mid century MacGregors and Spaldings (50s-60s).

As big of a fan as I am of Macgregor irons I was never a really big Mac wood fan--- Sure I have quite a few but in my persimmon playing days I was more of a Power Bilt or Toney Penna fan. Most of my persimmons in my collection are Pennas. Was never a Wilson fan but I do have a Strata Block 4300 driver in my collection now that I can flat smoke. Someone left it at the house on the front porch( it happens all the time) and it is rough to say the least but I thought one day WTH? take it out and hit it and I did. You never know. Ping Laminates have a certain cult following but I could never get over the shape of them at address. Lots of cheap options out there especially at yard sales and thrifts.

Often overlooked by many, personally think it is worth effort and time to look for old Orlimar Lou Ortiz (Jesse aka President Hairplug's father) fairways. Quite a few players on tour from California hoarded those customs back in the day and I have a four wood that is one of my favorite clubs ever.

Some of the Louisville Golf stuff could get you nice matching gear, if you are into that sort of thing?

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

It’s funny OP, I saw in your post title you put QUALITY in all caps. I had a feeling you were the same age as me and looking at your profile I see you are a bicentennial baby as well. I think you suffered with the same introduction to wood woods as myself, cheap 80’s era store brands or beat to hell 30-year old clubs. Mine was the latter, using 1950’s and 60’s era woods that were stored in my grandfathers barn that looked like something found on American Pickers. It makes getting into wood woods a bit daunting. But the guys here in the Classic Club section have been helpful in my search for some good playable woods. I don’t know anything about these classics so I appreciate any help I can get.

Good luck in your search!

I wouldn't be against a wooden wood, but I was thinking more along the lines of last 20 years of fairway metals.

I don't really buy into the new technology is the best thing out there when they come out with a new set of clubs sometimes more than once set per year. I think the older stuff can work just as well, I'm not a professional and don't have the skills to really take advantage of all these latest and greatest improvements.

I prefer to walk the course, if it's only 9 holes at a time (usually b/c of the Texas heat) I enjoy shooting a nice score, but more importantly I enjoy the weather, being outdoors, having fun with my buddies and enjoying the game. I used to get all worked up about my score and mad when putts didn't drop, now that I'm getting older and don't get to play as much (life, kids, work, etc..) I just like to get out and enjoy the game.

I've got my 845s on order, found a nice used set on the "bay" (4-PW,GW,SW) and was looking for a nice quality driver, 3w and hybrid. I've got my eye on a few different ones but have time as the 845s are scheduled to be delivered sometime next week.

The ones I've got my eye on are:

Driver: Taylormade RBZ Bonded 9.5*

3W: Adams Insight BTY 14.5*

hybrid: Adams Idea Black Super Hybrid 19*

For fun I'm going to throw in a new putter, the one I'm eyeing is a Taylormade Ghost Tour DA-12 33"

What's In The Bag 

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

Solid choices there, sorry if misunderstood your original post. In my opinion, the 16.5* BTY may be a bit more versatile if use any off the deck and gives plenty of yardage off tee for most players. Since considering the more traditional lofts of 845 irons, a hybrid or fairway in 22* range, depending upon personal preferences and shots commonly faced, may provide better spacing/yardage gaps. The 19* super hybrid tends to go farther than many expect out of that loft- your results may vary.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I wouldn't be against a wooden wood, but I was thinking more along the lines of last 20 years of fairway metals.

I don't really buy into the new technology is the best thing out there when they come out with a new set of clubs sometimes more than once set per year. I think the older stuff can work just as well, I'm not a professional and don't have the skills to really take advantage of all these latest and greatest improvements.

I prefer to walk the course, if it's only 9 holes at a time (usually b/c of the Texas heat) I enjoy shooting a nice score, but more importantly I enjoy the weather, being outdoors, having fun with my buddies and enjoying the game. I used to get all worked up about my score and mad when putts didn't drop, now that I'm getting older and don't get to play as much (life, kids, work, etc..) I just like to get out and enjoy the game.

I've got my 845s on order, found a nice used set on the "bay" (4-PW,GW,SW) and was looking for a nice quality driver, 3w and hybrid. I've got my eye on a few different ones but have time as the 845s are scheduled to be delivered sometime next week.

The ones I've got my eye on are:

Driver: Taylormade RBZ Bonded 9.5*

3W: Adams Insight BTY 14.5*

hybrid: Adams Idea Black Super Hybrid 19*

For fun I'm going to throw in a new putter, the one I'm eyeing is a Taylormade Ghost Tour DA-12 33"

I'm enjoying my Titleist PT wood set!

Handicap:  3

Buzz i was just before mentioning you and those Titleist PT metals.

If you want to play older woods for nostalgic reasons, by all means, go for it, but I will tell you for a fact that anyone, including yourself, will benefit from the technical advances in woods you will find in more modern woods versus ones from the 90’s.

I loved my Callaway “Bobby Jones” Deep faced 3 wood and 4 wood for many years, but the 815 alphas I replaced them with 3 years ago were shockingly easier to hit and far more forgiving. Distance isnt radically different but they are far, far more friendly and easier to elevate.

Do you need new woods every year or two? Absolutely not, but woods from the 90’s are definitely inferior to those from the last few years.

If you want to play older woods for nostalgic reasons, by all means, go for it, but I will tell you for a fact that anyone, including yourself, will benefit from the technical advances in woods you will find in more modern woods versus ones from the 90’s.

I loved my Callaway “Bobby Jones” Deep faced 3 wood and 4 wood for many years, but the 815 alphas I replaced them with 3 years ago were shockingly easier to hit and far more forgiving. Distance isnt radically different but they are far, far more friendly and easier to elevate.

Do you need new woods every year or two? Absolutely not, but woods from the 90’s are definitely inferior to those from the last few years.

The Orlimar tri-metal miraging face woods from the late 90's - I'd pit them against most anything out there in the last 20 years

The Orlimar tri-metal miraging face woods from the late 90's - I'd pit them against most anything out there in the last 20 years

I will back you up on that one even though the Orlimar woods do not fit my eye. They have quite a cult following in some circles around here. IMHO V-Steels will hold their own against anything modern out there now. Trust me I have tried new stuff and keep coming back to those old V-Steels

As big of a fan as I am of Macgregor irons I was never a really big Mac wood fan--- Sure I have quite a few but in my persimmon playing days I was more of a Power Bilt or Toney Penna fan. Most of my persimmons in my collection are Pennas. Was never a Wilson fan but I do have a Strata Block 4300 driver in my collection now that I can flat smoke. Someone left it at the house on the front porch( it happens all the time) and it is rough to say the least but I thought one day WTH? take it out and hit it and I did. You never know. Ping Laminates have a certain cult following but I could never get over the shape of them at address. Lots of cheap options out there especially at yard sales and thrifts.

So curious how that works out. I like Mac woods but not many of their irons yet; tend to favor Wilson and Spalding irons.

Just speaks to the importance of experimenting a bit and finding what you like.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

OP, Am I understanding correctly then that this is more of 'A Bag for All Seasons' set up? More traditional CB Irons with more modern high tech Woods you're going after? If so, I think the choices you mentioned earlier are solid. I really like my TM Burner Superfast 2.0 woods, both the driver and fairways.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

OP, Am I understanding correctly then that this is more of 'A Bag for All Seasons' set up? More traditional CB Irons with more modern high tech Woods you're going after? If so, I think the choices you mentioned earlier are solid. I really like my TM Burner Superfast 2.0 woods, both the driver and fairways.

Correct, I used to play a lot, worked at a golf course in high school and through college as a part time job but was able to play A LOT. Then life kicked in and kids and all, didn't have the time I used to, wouldn't trade it for the world, just part of life.

Now I'm getting some more time (kids are getting older and starting back to school) and I'd like to get back into playing, I was thinking of walking 9 holes twice per week, early mornings and go from there. If I do this a every week I'll be able to play "18holes" atleast once per week. I think starting out I'll hit the range and short game practice more to get the feel back.

Solid choices there, sorry if misunderstood your original post. In my opinion, the 16.5* BTY may be a bit more versatile if use any off the deck and gives plenty of yardage off tee for most players. Since considering the more traditional lofts of 845 irons, a hybrid or fairway in 22* range, depending upon personal preferences and shots commonly faced, may provide better spacing/yardage gaps. The 19* super hybrid tends to go farther than many expect out of that loft- your results may vary.

I looked into that and figured I'll try the 19* since I'm getting the 14.5* 3W and the 4iron is 24* I figure the 19* is more in the middle and I can always choke down if I need a shorter yardage. I didn't think I could make the 22* hybrid longer like I can adjust the 19* to be "shorter". I'll see how it works our and might be in the hunt for a 22* LOL.

What's In The Bag