2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Hickories Only

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play 9 holes usually twice a week and mix in my hickory set about once a month. But I'm thinking of doing so much more frequently.

I played 9 this morning with my modern equipment. 14 clubs loaded up in a pushcart and shot a 47.

Went back to play the same 9 tonight with 10 hickory clubs in my Jones bag. Shot a 46 and had a much more leisurely stroll around the course. It's such an enjoyable way to play and my scores are strikingly similar (perhaps because as a short knocker I don't reap the full benefits of modern clubs).

I do get plenty of comments. The most frequent of which is: "Can I try a swing?"

Most of my rounds now are with hickories. A few heads do turn at the range and probably wonder “what the heck....?” Most every comment is good. I always throw a demo or two in my bag for those brave hearts wanting to give a hickory a whack. Every time the response is “that was so cool. Thanks.”

I think I've played golf with steel shafted clubs once in the last 2yrs (and I play 2-3 days a week). I'm 100% hickory play now and love it. Golf is far more enjoyable, I find I'm playing for satisfaction and fun as opposed to grinding out a score. This doesn't mean I'm not competitive, I hate to lose and I do like shooting my best, but something about hickory is far more rewarding. I carry 8-9 clubs, sometimes less, which promotes creativity and shot making as opposed to a bag of 14 full swings. I don't find myself too limited on distance, driver is the main difference, but I generally play white tees with little issue. I love the interest, the curiosity, and downright astonishment of my playing partners. It's a hoot.

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

I have played with mine once so far and haven’t gotten the time to get back out again.

Like others have said, it’s less clubs and more creative shot making. I’m not the longest hitter but I’m tired of hitting driver/wedge into the majority of the par 4s I play.

As of now, the driver is all over the place, but the one drive I did hit good, it’s wasn’t very far behind my Titleist.

I also like the fact the clubs can be a heck of a lot cheaper, and with some simple tools, they can be regripped of epoxied and repinned in a half hour or so.

Around the turn of this Century I played exclusively with hickories for a 2 year period just to see what could be done and to confound the naysayers. The set was nothing special, Donaldson (Glasgow)Rangefinder irons and assorted woods (I think one was a bun shaped driver, about 6 degrees loft by Ralph Smith, it was pretty good but not classic or collectable)

Result: I reduced my playing handicap from 8 to 7. My best score was 73 in Sweden and 76 round my home course in comp. off the tips , 6500 yards. (meadow land, not much run).

Outcome, people just got blase about it, 'Oh, it's just Chris, he's a bit weird', never showed any interest in having a go. Sad, really, but that's Cumbria and Yorkshire for you.

I play about 85-90% of my rounds with hickory. Outside of hicokry specific events I'm am virtually always the only hickory player in the group. When I first began playing them regularly with my saturday group there were some strange looks, but that went away pretty quickly. I'd imagine it's a humbling experience when someone using the latest and greatest equipment fails to beat someone using a bag full of antiques. When playing with strangers, I've gone 4 or 5 holes before they notice anything different about my bag, Which is a bit surprizing as the sound difference on the driver alone should be enough to register somethings different.

I do own a set of modern clubs and do get the itch to play them every once in a while, but after the last time I played them and the horrible control I had with them off of the tee I think they'll stay in storage for a bit while longer.

after the last time I played them and the horrible control I had with them off of the tee I think they'll stay in storage for a bit while longer.

I’ve heard some people say that the smooth swing you have with your hickory clubs should help with your modern clubs too. Guess it’s not very true.

I think I've played golf with steel shafted clubs once in the last 2yrs (and I play 2-3 days a week). I'm 100% hickory play now and love it. Golf is far more enjoyable, I find I'm playing for satisfaction and fun as opposed to grinding out a score. This doesn't mean I'm not competitive, I hate to lose and I do like shooting my best, but something about hickory is far more rewarding. I carry 8-9 clubs, sometimes less, which promotes creativity and shot making as opposed to a bag of 14 full swings. I don't find myself too limited on distance, driver is the main difference, but I generally play white tees with little issue. I love the interest, the curiosity, and downright astonishment of my playing partners. It's a hoot.

I’ve been looking at hickories on eBay as I’d really like to get into it. I’m up near Napa and maybe we can get a round together once I get some.

I’ve been looking at hickories on eBay as I’d really like to get into it. I’m up near Napa and maybe we can get a round together once I get some.

Message sent.

• [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

I’ve got my set together, only club I am searching for is a mashie niblick, they seem hard to come by on eBay.

I’ve also epoxied and repinned a head already, super easy. And regripped every club I’ve bought, also pretty easy. One or 2 YouTube videos and your good to go.

The 3 times I’ve played them I’ve had a lot of fun. Learned quickly the smoother the swing, the better shots you hit. There is no muscling it either. If your in high rough, your punching out and hitting your next shot close to make a par.

There's a ton of information in the Playing Hickory Golf thread, but it's not all that easy to parse through. You can find great information on how to get started at the SoHG website -> https://www.hickorygolfers.com/how-to-build-a-hickory-golf-playset/. In the resources section you'll also find info on prepping clubs for play. Can't stress enough that without proper preparation your chances for breakage increase drastically. A properly restored club can play for generations with confidence.

I can also help you assemble a playset, just PM me for details.

Around the turn of this Century I played exclusively with hickories for a 2 year period just to see what could be done and to confound the naysayers. The set was nothing special, Donaldson (Glasgow)Rangefinder irons and assorted woods (I think one was a bun shaped driver, about 6 degrees loft by Ralph Smith, it was pretty good but not classic or collectable)

Result: I reduced my playing handicap from 8 to 7. My best score was 73 in Sweden and 76 round my home course in comp. off the tips , 6500 yards. (meadow land, not much run).

Outcome, people just got blase about it, 'Oh, it's just Chris, he's a bit weird', never showed any interest in having a go. Sad, really, but that's Cumbria and Yorkshire for you.

I think that's more to do with current attitude and ignorance than regional bias,the game has changed unbelievably mainly due to the absurd initiatives taken by those bodies responsible for governing the game and their ridiculous attempts to 'grow the game' through rule and handicapping changes.

That is combined with a lax attitude to dress codes,standards of behaviour and rules of golf.

Just the other week a playing partner was nearly hit by a shot from the group behind,on the next green as I was putting out a ball came flying through us,the same bloke responsible who came over to us on the tee "Yeah,sorry,I was laying up and it went too far."

He was wearing shorts and calf-length brown socks,our dress code stipulates white sports socks,so the guy is well out of order.

He was playing with our club captain.

Says it all.

Played with the hickories again this weekend. Got matched up with an older guy and he loved that I was playing them.

Hit the ball well, still learning a bit but overall played pretty good. Shot an 84.

I’ve really been thinking about ditching my modern clubs and playing hickory all the time, any thoughts or comments? Pro and cons?

Is eBay the best place to look for clubs? Being a newbie, I’m not sure what to look for in terms of fitness for play. The Louisville golf site has a beautiful starter set but $900 is a steep entry price for me.

So, i was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I just started watching ebay like a hawk for a playable set. You can mostly tell after looking at a number of pictures. Be patient, youll find a set within your budget for a good deal. there are some posted with "buy it now" prices that seem obscene. Just look for a set that has fairly straight shafts, and no cracks. From there, almost anyone can do any amount of refinishing to get them in good shape. I found a set of 5 irons and a putter for $100. A little hot water and leather cream, and the grips are in great shape again, and an old steak knife got my grooves all cleaned out.

Be sure youve got a lot of room to work with on your first shot with hickory, i play to scratch with modern equipment and after 3 rounds i still battle an enormous banana slice. Nothing compares to the good ones though. You wont understand what good tempo is until youve hit 20 shots with hickories. its an absolute riot. Never had more fun shooting 46 in my life.

• 4 weeks later...