Sand Valley

Phreddy

Anyone here signed up for the Summer Solstice event?

I thought about it as it is a great deal, but doubt I would be able to walk and swing for 72 holes. Dates work out perfect for me though...

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't know if this has been discussed, but does SV allow push carts if I decide to forgo the caddie?

Assuming answer is yes as there is talk of others using a rickshaw in this thread, but ??

Also, are there yardage books for purchase?

Nevermind on the push cart ?, called and got my answer.....still wandering re: yardage books:)

Don't know if this has been discussed, but does SV allow push carts if I decide to forgo the caddie?

Assuming answer is yes as there is talk of others using a rickshaw in this thread, but ??

Nevermind on the push cart ?, called and got my answer.....still wandering re: yardage books:)

I emailed a month back and was told yardage books would be available in early May.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

I emailed a month back and was told yardage books would be available in early May.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, looks like I'm gonna make my first trip to Sand Valley in August as part of a golf trip. Going to drive up there from my place in Green Lake and spend the day. With only one day on the property, what course would you recommend playing?

heard great things about the dunes course... never have I played but every time I see someone who has they remember that course

Just called Sand Valley. They have 5 temp greens on the Sand Valley course and they hope to "only" have a couple temp greens by August. Easy pass for me, not paying those prices for temp greens, even if it's one temp green.

No big deal, there's plenty of amazing courses in Wisconsin to choose from to replace the day at SV.

We came back over 2 weeks ago to SV and Mammouth...

The place will be great in another season to grow in and the rooms were very nice, the issue was that the temp greens were never brought up to us and nothing was done to make it right, we didn't expect free rounds etc. but the answer we got was " an email was sent". Poor customer service on there part to say the least, a lot of money and travel expense not to at least give us a heads up...

MD is the better, and more fun, of the two courses, even if SV didn't have temporary greens. SV is still a great course (ignoring the temporary greens).

If you go and they still have a couple of temporary greens, it isn't going to ruin your day, but obviously, if you have the choice, I'd wait until they get everything open on SV.

Have a buddy who is going just after the 4th of July and he was told there will be 3 temp greens during that time. The good news if you play 36 holes then you only pay $275 (taxes included) so it does save you a fair amount of money

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

what kind of shape is MD in? Is it worth spending the money this year or will it be a better course in a year or two of growth?

I'm in no hurry and only want to play the courses if they are in ideal shape.

I played SV in April of last year and it was in great shape. After playing I was glad I didn't wait.

If you wish to know a little bit more of the history and the future of Sand Valley, this article from the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel is a good read.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/gary-damato/2018/06/30/damato-how-sand-valley-golf-resort-transforming-central-wisconsin/737928002/

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

I played Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes in late May, and I was very glad I didn't wait a year or two to play them. IMO, SV is an excellent course and MD is a truly great course - I'm talking about an amazing world-class course. If you can play only one of the courses at the resort, then you should definitely play MD.

I played Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes in late May, and I was very glad I didn't wait a year or two to play them. IMO, SV is an excellent course and MD is a truly great course - I'm talking about an amazing world-class course. If you can play only one of the courses at the resort, then you should definitely play MD.

Would you mind elaborating on the MD over SV. I played SV last year and have been wavering on going back this year or waiting until 2019. Thanks!

Would you mind elaborating on the MD over SV. I played SV last year and have been wavering on going back this year or waiting until 2019. Thanks!

The best way to put it would be that the visuals are amazing for over 2/3 of the holes, and at least that many are just downright fun/interesting/exciting to play. SV is a very good course, and has plenty of interesting holes, but I've never jokingly said "SPEED SLOT" so many times on a single golf course.

The best way to put it would be that the visuals are amazing for over 2/3 of the holes, and at least that many are just downright fun/interesting/exciting to play. SV is a very good course, and has plenty of interesting holes, but I've never jokingly said "SPEED SLOT" so many times on a single golf course.

To give you a better feel for why MD is so much fun, here are my earlier comments from a separate thread about the opening day at MD:

There is a naturalness to the way that the turf at MD "flows" around the hills and valleys while being bordered (or sometimes surrounded) by sand. Elevation changes are interesting and challenging. While most fairways tend to be quite wide, mid-fairway bunkers or "fingers" of sand jutting out from expansive sandy waste areas make it important to select specific sections of fairway as aim points from the tee. Kidd also told us that there are elements of the famous links at Machrihanish from his native Scotland that have been incorporated into the design of MD. Specifically, I noticed that a golfer at MD often needs to decide how much sandy waste to "bite-off" from the tee in order to keep a drive on the fairway - much like the first hole at Machrihanish, which demands a choice of how much ocean can be cleared with the intended drive. Speaking of water, MD has lots of sand instead. In fact, it often seems like the sand creates an effect that is very ocean-like, which helps to give the course the sense of "flow" mentioned earlier. For example, Hole 8 is often being called the "island green," where an island of grass floats in a sea of sand. Although hitting a shot into sand doesn't typically make a golfer happy, a recovery shot from sand is possible while hitting into a water hazard results in a penalty stroke and usually a lost ball. Hole 8 also provides an easier angle into the green for players using the closer tees than for those playing from the tips.

MD has many other holes that are unique and interesting, providing different challenges depending on pin placements and player creativity. I can remember frequently thinking how much fun it would be to play a hole again to see what it played like under different wind conditions or with a pin in a completely different part of the green. A great example of this type of hole would be Hole 6, which has what some have described as a "boomerang green" that lends itself to very interesting putting options depending on where on the green your ball ends up. Hole 14 is also very interesting, as this is the hole on which Kidd received significant input from the winner of the Golf Digest Armchair Architect competition. The hole is designed to be short enough to be a driveable par 4 for a lot of players, especially if the tee shot follows the "speed slot" created by the steep downhill right-to-left slope of the right side of the fairway.

For those of us who aren't members of private clubs or don't have friends who can get us on exclusive courses, the resorts created by the Keiser family give regular golfers a chance to play outstanding courses that are open to the public. Of the great courses I have played in North America, my top favorites are Cabot Cliffs, Pacific Dunes, and now Mammoth Dunes. For me, these three courses are simply 3 different flavors of "great." If you have an opportunity to play Mammoth Dunes, you should definitely play it. You will not be disappointed!

• 3 weeks later...

Is the replay rate good to play the course you didn't originally play? (SV morning - MD afternoon)

Yep. My email was confirmed with prices and I’m paying half for mammoth dunes in the afternoon.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Played here on Tuesday and really was impressed with the facility. Mike keiser was playing in the fdoup behind us and met him. Great day and was very secluded for sure. It is a big haul to get there. Like 4 1/2 hours from Southwest Chicago. Didn't play mammouth or sandbox but was a great day at SV. I'll be back and that should tell you all you need to know.

Btw they are building more housing on site which is the middle of nowhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Played here on Tuesday and really was impressed with the facility. Mike keiser was playing in the fdoup behind us and met him. Great day and was very secluded for sure. It is a big haul to get there. Like 4 1/2 hours from Southwest Chicago. Didn't play mammouth or sandbox but was a great day at SV. I'll be back and that should tell you all you need to know.

Btw they are building more housing on site which is the middle of nowhere.

I'd rather be in the middle of nowhere then spending 25% of my life in windy traffic. By the time they are done there, they will have their own town.