2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

I need a shaft that doesn't go left :(

BrendanKre

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty I’m still playing my stiff from last year. Speeder 565. Started swinging a bit faster. My miss is where I’m aimed and a large overdraw. Not a pull hook.

Ideally I would play a consistent fade lol

If you are comfortably swinging 120 mph you almost surely need a TX shaft. Plenty in BST.

In all honesty I’m still playing my stiff from last year. Speeder 565. Started swinging a bit faster. My miss is where I’m aimed and a large overdraw. Not a pull hook.

If you are comfortably swinging 120 mph you almost surely need a TX shaft. Plenty in BST.

on the low side it’s 115, that’s my I’m trying to make good contact but don’t square up right.

Hey guys, I know there probably isn't a thing but I need a shaft I can swing as hard as I want with and my miss to not be left. I feel like my shaft has too much play. I swing around 120MPH. Looking for a mid ball flight. I just feel like I cant give it everything or I lose it left. ANy suggestions?

With the greatest respect, what you want is a swing that doesn’t go left. I am sure you are aware, the power fade is currently the weapon of choice for many of the longest tour players.

Put it another way if your left shot comes from being significantly off with your face / path there is nothing a shaft change can do to save that swing. Perhaps giving it everything, simply pushes your swing into a poor path / face angle.

The more stiff the tip is the more the shaft is considered anti left.

Not entirely true.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Not entirely true.

Agree with Mad here. I currently play a Pro Orange, and before that a Black Tie, both are considered very tip stiff, yet I can still hook the ball off the planet. When arms out race body, it's hooking and there is no shaft going to fix it.

Titleist TSi4 9.75 HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Smoke
Titleist U500 3 iron
Titleist 718CB 4 thru PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50-08, 54-08, 58-08

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6

T1100

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

So it's blame the equipment time? A good golfer can make any equipment work.

Yeah when a 115-120 is using a stiff 565 speeder, he's not doing himself any favors. He clearly needs a stiffer, likely heavier shaft

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Not entirely true.

Agree with Mad here. I currently play a Pro Orange, and before that a Black Tie, both are considered very tip stiff, yet I can still hook the ball off the planet. When arms out race body, it's hooking and there is no shaft going to fix it.

Like you say, I think a lot of people overlook that the way a shaft feels can affect how a golfer delivers the club to the ball. Getting too far from optimum, be it too soft or too firm, can cause all kinds of jazz to happen.

I'm talking like Kenny G jazz, and not Miles Davis jazz, dig?

Titleist ProV1x

565 is a junk shaft.

Go with a Tensei White or Orange Pro if you can afford it. If not, goneith the standard white in a 75 or 80 gram shaft.

I aim down the left side all day with no fear and now play a power fade.

565 is a junk shaft.

Go with a Tensei White or Orange Pro if you can afford it. If not, goneith the standard white in a 75 or 80 gram shaft.

I aim down the left side all day with no fear and now play a power fade.

In all honesty I'm still playing my stiff from last year. Speeder 565. Started swinging a bit faster. My miss is where I'm aimed and a large overdraw. Not a pull hook.

Ouch. Better get on with replacing mine!

Titleist ProV1x

Swing issue or not the 565 is probably not ideal for someone who can get it up at 120...

As others have suggested - get something in X-TX and a little heavier to try. If budget is not an issue Tensei Pro Orange will be about as ant left as you can get. A little lower on the budget would be something like an older Speeder 757 in x - maybe tip it from there.

If either of those don't do what you expect them to then the swing will need some work (But whose doesn't??)

Wan

Swing issue or not the 565 is probably not ideal for someone who can get it up at 120...

As others have suggested - get something in X-TX and a little heavier to try. If budget is not an issue Tensei Pro Orange will be about as ant left as you can get. A little lower on the budget would be something like an older Speeder 757 in x - maybe tip it from there.

If either of those don't do what you expect them to then the swing will need some work (But whose doesn't??)

Wan

Had a beautiful straight/5yard fade going last year and now I have the same shot with a 1/5 snap hook going on. To all you knowledgeable people here on shafts I’ll just throw it out there. Budget is and isn’t an issue, if I love something then I’ll pay for it but I’d try cheaper alternatives because if they do the same why not use them. What’re some recommended shafts. I like playing a straight/very tiny fade. Swing speed average probably 118-120 right now. Like a mid/high launching shaft. It’s going in a rogue head 9 degree as I’ve never had spin issues. All suggestions welcome.

Hey guys, I know there probably isn't a thing but I need a shaft I can swing as hard as I want with and my miss to not be left. I feel like my shaft has too much play. I swing around 120MPH. Looking for a mid ball flight. I just feel like I cant give it everything or I lose it left. ANy suggestions?

With the greatest respect, what you want is a swing that doesn’t go left. I am sure you are aware, the power fade is currently the weapon of choice for many of the longest tour players.

Put it another way if your left shot comes from being significantly off with your face / path there is nothing a shaft change can do to save that swing. Perhaps giving it everything, simply pushes your swing into a poor path / face angle.

totally understand that, I’d just like to try something a bit heavier and stiff to slow it down a bit.

As you can see from the replies, it could be several different causes to your problems, both equipment and player related.

The shaft you play was not made for that club speed, and if the shaft is the reason for your problems, simply look for LOW launch profiles (forget mid, it neutral and no bias, while low is anti left and high is anti right)

PX T1100 is a good option to try, but make sure shaft wgt is right to start with.

If the problem is to much face closing, we should look at both face angle, Grip size, and grip profile.

A more open face angle from address can help out, so can a grip with a larger diameter for the lowest hand, and maybe a combination of both is what it takes,

We use the lowest hand for face closing, and if diameter is too small, it becomes variable from stroke to stroke and very hard to get right. When the lowest hand gets a larger diameter, we slow things down a bit, and it becomes easier to do the same again since it gives you more "time" during release and face closing.

There is a trend now in the grip marked where the taper is straiten out to give the lowest hand a larger size than what has been normal for some time. Look at grips like Golf Pride MCC +4, or follow this link to a DIY for asymmetrical build up you can use on any grip to straiten out the taper and get a larger diameter for the lowest hand. If you follow this DIY and use ordinary GP New Decade, they become very close to MCC +4.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/913717-building-up-a-grip/#entry7918195

That DIY was written before MCC +4 came to the marked, but the "need" was known, so this was how i adjusted grips in cases we needed a larger diameter for the lowest hand. Its VERY good for wedges, it became a standard for wedges from my shop, but it can be used on any club or grip where we want a better control of face angle at impact.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Not entirely true.

No one said its impossible to hook a tip stiff shaft. But as much as a shaft can help you, that's the starting point.

Let's hear what shaft characteristics you consider to have anti left bias.

As you can see from the replies, it could be several different causes to your problems, both equipment and player related.

The shaft you play was not made for that club speed, and if the shaft is the reason for your problems, simply look for LOW launch profiles (forget mid, it neutral and no bias, while low is anti left and high is anti right)

PX T1100 is a good option to try, but make sure shaft wgt is right to start with.

If the problem is to much face closing, we should look at both face angle, Grip size, and grip profile.

A more open face angle from address can help out, so can a grip with a larger diameter for the lowest hand, and maybe a combination of both is what it takes,

We use the lowest hand for face closing, and if diameter is too small, it becomes variable from stroke to stroke and very hard to get right. When the lowest hand gets a larger diameter, we slow things down a bit, and it becomes easier to do the same again since it gives you more "time" during release and face closing.

There is a trend now in the grip marked where the taper is straiten out to give the lowest hand a larger size than what has been normal for some time. Look at grips like Golf Pride MCC +4, or follow this link to a DIY for asymmetrical build up you can use on any grip to straiten out the taper and get a larger diameter for the lowest hand. If you follow this DIY and use ordinary GP New Decade, they become very close to MCC +4.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/913717-building-up-a-grip/#entry7918195

That DIY was written before MCC +4 came to the marked, but the "need" was known, so this was how i adjusted grips in cases we needed a larger diameter for the lowest hand. Its VERY good for wedges, it became a standard for wedges from my shop, but it can be used on any club or grip where we want a better control of face angle at impact.

so try a larger grip as well as a heavier stiffer shaft?

Check where your spin rates and launch angles are at.

The 565 are high launching and high spinning shafts.

Going heavier will reduce your spin rate, have more control which translates to quality strikes.

You would be surprised, you may not lose any club head speed at all going to a 75/80 gram shaft.

i was put into a tensei white 70 gram at a very brief fitting. It got me to a 10 launch angle, 2300 spin and just about 300 carry. I just felt like I hard to force the ball up in the air and didn’t enjoy that. Helpful at all?

Tensei Pro Orange 70TX is the most anti-left shaft on the market. Everyone is correct that swing path and arms being out of sync can make any shaft hook, including the Pro Orange. But since I started playing the Pro Orange in the spring, my left miss has gone from a quick hook to more of a low pull. I doubt I will ever change to another shaft. I also don't swing nearly as hard as you do--107-108mph. FYI- I also play mine at 44.25".