• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

As eagle said, got out and played the DCGT event yesterday. Seatwarmerandy and I played great for 15 of 18 holes. We put up 23 points, E par with 5 birdies. I drained three long birdie putts, we lipped an eagle putt on 7, and I drove the green on 4. We feel apart at the same time on 10,11,12, which killed us. Finished 6 out of 14 I beleive. Fun day, a great event as always and watched the ending of the tourney at The Crab Deck while traffic died down.

Backed up yesterday's win with a cool day at Queenstown. Two man scramble format, had Birdie putts on 15/18 holes, made 3.

Out of the other 3 holes, we made eagle on 1 (hole 5), par on 1 (hole 18), and bogey on 1 (hole 15- Bah!).

Non-City approved Modified Stableford Scoring. Came in 2nd with 28 points.

Big thanks to Endless and Seatwarmer Andy for the scoring help.

Watched some of the PGA. Clubhouse was LIT when Tiger made that birdie on 13. So much fun to watch when he's right there.

Fun weekend of golf for this guy.

Yeah, it was an odd day. Dom and I had birdie putts as well and I'd go first and end up on the left side of the hole and then he'd go and end up on the right side of the hole. We ended up -2 i think with 4 birdies and 2 bogeys. it was a fun outing as usually so thanks to DC golf tour for setting it up today. Queenstown was busy as there was a huge group going on out on the Lakes and then another group going after DC at noon. I overheard at one point that they only had 3 more golf carts left and this was before we teed off at 11am.

I went out to see my buddy at Lakewood yesterday afternoon, with 2MT and a friend of his. We played a fourball, pitting team Turf Valley against team Walkersville. I thought we were gonna play with strokes, but 2MT insisted we didn't. That put team Walkersville (+1.6 and 2.4) at an advantage to team Turf (0.8 and 4.6), particularly with my buddy having the home field advantage.

The opening hole is pretty straightforward, so 4 missed birdie putts later, and we were off all square. The second hole was playing about 225, and we sniped the hole with a par. 3 was not quite the Mongolian turnaround, but close. It's a very gettable par 5 if you hit the fairway, which only 2MT's partner managed to do. We got to the point where we're all mucking it up and he was the only one to hit the green, but then I hit a really good pitch to about 4ft. At some point it's just me and him left in the hole. He ran his birdie putt like 6 feet by so he was still away. He missed the par putt, and I curled in my left-to-righter to steal the hole. I hit my second to about a foot on 4, which was conceded. 2MT's partner turned the momentum by draining a 15-footer for bird to halve. Meanwhile 2MT made an unreal up and down to save his par. He was totally dead to rights. He was on a downhill lie, sitting down in very long rough, short-sided, coming over a bunker to a firm green surface. He played it just perfectly. One of the best up and downs I've seen in a very, very long time. We get to 5, and team Turf both find the surface, and team Walkersville is scrambling. My buddy hits an absolutely sick long bunker shot to about a foot, with the pin on a small shelf of the green.

<aside>2MT asked me about my buddy's game on Friday night. I gave 2MT some generic descriptions about his game, and then mentioned that he's the best bunker player I've ever teed it up with. Thankfully he delivered on my proclamation with that bunker shot.</aside>

Team Turf don't exactly have easy birdie putts, so I figured we're basically a lock to halve the hole at that point. Nope. 2MT jarred a superb putt from about 35ft for a bird. The momentum was moving in their favor. 6 is another pretty straightforward hole. 2MT and his partner are both away first, and give themselves about 15 footers for bird. Team Walkersville both make the mistake of flying the ball hole high, and run off the back. I get one up to about a foot for a conceded par, and we narrowly dodge a bullet with Team Turf barely missing their putts. 7 is a long par 4, maybe the toughest on the course. 2MT hits the ole power topper, and his partner pulls one that veers into lateral hazard on the left. I heel-cut one into the fairway, and then my partner bombs one dead into the lip of the fairway bunker. 2MT plays a 'brid down the fairway (there's a hazard between the end of the fairway and the green complex), and his partner takes a drop and plays down the hole as well. My partner's drive managed to plug into the lip of the fairway bunker, which was pretty amazing considering how steep the lips are, and how firm they were. He blasted out as best he could, about 40 yards down the fairway. The pin was tucked front-right, and I hit a laser to about 5ft. 2MT missed the green with his 3rd, and I drained the tweeter. Team Walkersville put a couple good ones out there on 8, and then the horn blew.

They have one of those fancy weather detection systems. If lightning strikes within 6 miles, they reset the "all clear" timer to 30 minutes. We lasted through a few resets, and it actually appeared like we were going to get back out. With less than a few minutes on the clock, we were standing outside and saw lightning strike basically on the golf course. A few quick handshakes later, and we were on the road out of there.

It was such a fun group. I'm really disappointed we got stormed out. Between just having a tough time with scheduling rounds, and storms, I'm hitting nearly a month of not playing a full round at this point. For being in the heart of golf season, after missing basically the first 6 months of the year, it's just really frustrating. We better have good weather for golf this fall.

Not sure what kind of "modified" stableford I don't approve of.

It's the baseline stableford where a bogey is as bad as a birdie is good that I don't like, because that's just regular golf with a double max, but counted a different way. Anything else is just a point shift. I just think it's easier for everyone to count to make par's 0, because people can't add. But the only thing I really care about is that going birdie-bogey is better than going par-par.

We did individual stableford at the club yesterday. Big turnout for Sunday. Subtract handicap from 36 and play 2 points for a par. 1 for bogey, 4 for birdie. No net stableford on holes like we do at VE. Winner was +4. I tied second with +2, and 3 guys at +1, and I had 2 skins. Pretty good payout. I basically shot exactly my handicap, but had two birdies. There's your +2.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

It's the baseline stableford where a bogey is as bad as a birdie is good that I don't like, because that's just regular golf with a double max, but counted a different way. Anything else is just a point shift. I just think it's easier for everyone to count to make par's 0, because people can't add. But the only thing I really care about is that going birdie-bogey is better than going par-par.

We did individual stableford at the club yesterday. Big turnout for Sunday. Subtract handicap from 36 and play 2 points for a par. 1 for bogey, 4 for birdie. No net stableford on holes like we do at VE. Winner was +4. I tied second with +2, and 3 guys at +1, and I had 2 skins. Pretty good payout. I basically shot exactly my handicap, but had two birdies. There's your +2.

We used this rules yesterday:

Modified Stableford Scoring:

Eagle: 6 points

Birdie: 3 points

Par: 1 point

Bogey: 0 points

Double: -1 points

i use the "everyone gets a trophy" scoring.

Modified Stableford Scoring:

Eagle: 6 points

Birdie: 3 points

Par: 1 point

Bogey: 0 points

Double: -1 points

more points = more fun.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Wrapped up a 3 day, 108 hole trip to Penn National this weekend. Was sorry I missed the 4 ball event but had Penn National on the calendar for a while.

I love this place! We played our own ball in the morning, best ball in the afternoon for 3 days. Unfortunately we had either 7 or 5 guys, so splitting up the teams and creating formats was a chore. We need an even number of guys next year.

The two courses, Founders and Iron Forge, were in phenomenal shape. The facility made improvements to the rooms and dining areas since last year. I know some in this group have played here in the past, but I really think anyone who hasn't been up there to play for a day or two needs to give it a shot. It's less than an hour north of Frederick, and if the Hive ever wanted to do a two day sleep over event, I'd strongly recommend looking in to PN.

I went 85, 90, 88 on the own ball portion of the trip. That's pretty good for me as I tend to psych myself out and try too hard on golf trips, leading to blow ups all over the place. I kept calling the trip the "Stress Free Open" to keep calm out there. Hit some HighBoomingDraws, hit some Aggassi's, but was mostly pleased. My back is screaming and work e-mail inbox is overflowing, but it was all worth it!

2MT should have this printed, and framed.

I'm telling you guys, even City would've been impressed.

2fsdok.jpg

Impressed?

Depends on the lie.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Is it too much recency bias to think Brooks may win another major before Boredan, DJ, or Rory get another?

At least in the majors, he just doesn't show a glaring weakness. I have no clue if the stats bear it out, but he seems like a better putter than the other 3 for sure.

Koepka hitting a draw around the dogleg on #18 is all I need to know about his confidence/composure. My best man at my wedding, Anderson, played tennis at FSU while Brooks was there. According to him he was a humble guy that just expected to win. Brooks at this point in his career is a perfect Major golfer. Long, very accurate, and above average short game will keep him in any tournament.

Titleist 917 D3 8.5 Degree 

Tour Edge 3 Wood 15 Degree

Titleist T-MB 2-Iron

735 CM 4-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 

Is it too much recency bias to think Brooks may win another major before Boredan, DJ, or Rory get another?

At least in the majors, he just doesn't show a glaring weakness. I have no clue if the stats bear it out, but he seems like a better putter than the other 3 for sure.

I think a better question might be if Tiger will win another major before those other 3.

Hard to believe Koepka is essentially a hall of fame player already. Whatever else he does is gravy from here on out. Technically he needs 5 more worldwide wins, but I don't see anybody with 3 major titles not being a HOFer.

Brooks' ball striking, especially off the tee, was unbelievable this weekend. He had that "I know the ball is going very close to this line" flow with the driver. He knew it for a whole tournament. He was hitting fades into dogleg lefts. That's when you know. (and he does it at 300 carry)

The interesting question, statistically, is whether his future performance in majors is more closely related to his overall performance (good, but not THAT good) or follows his recent performance in majors.

We love to tell ourselves stories about guys like him. . .like he just "focuses" on majors, or peaks for them, or has better nerves than other people. But, sometimes, that's just where the wins fall, and he might never get another one. This happens all the time. We'll talk ourselves into him winning 2 majors next year. He'll be on the Golf Mag covers in March with headlines like, "Brooks Has What It Takes".

I think we'll also see a bigger equipment deal along with an article about "Brooks is Learning to Enjoy Golf (and Life!)". They'll send a patsy in to get him to "retro-splain" his comments about not liking golf. Pictures of him with his dog.

Pretty negative Shipnuck article today on BK.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Right now, I see Brooks as closer to Angel Cabrera than anyone else. He needs to pop a few more wins, major or not. Hes clearly extremely good. So lets see it.

He is an odd personality in the golf world. That article was interesting. Trying to get a reporter booted because your trainer didnt make the cover of Golf magazine is...interesting. The chip on his shoulder is working though.

The article only gives one side of the story. I imagine there is more to it.

There's always more to everything, but I disagree that he only gave one side to it. He presented Brooks' side of it pretty clearly. The author promised Brooks that the cover would include his trainer, who he feels was a really important piece worthy of being on the cover. The Golf editor did not, and removed the trainer, leaving Brooks pissed off.

I thought it was a pretty good article, with that piece of it buried pretty far down to support the other discuss about the chip on Brooks' shoulder. That wasn't the headline piece, which it could have been in a click-bait article. "Brooks Koepka snubbed me; Find out how!".

The article only gives one side of the story. I imagine there is more to it.

There's always more to everything, but I disagree that he only gave one side to it. He presented Brooks' side of it pretty clearly. The author promised Brooks that the cover would include his trainer, who he feels was a really important piece worthy of being on the cover. The Golf editor did not, and removed the trainer, leaving Brooks pissed off.

I thought it was a pretty good article, with that piece of it buried pretty far down to support the other discuss about the chip on Brooks' shoulder. That wasn't the headline piece, which it could have been in a click-bait article. "Brooks Koepka snubbed me; Find out how!".

He gave HIS side of the story and he gave HIS INTERPRETATION of Brooks' side of the story.

Brooks might have an entirely different reason than what Shipnuck laid out.

Still, Ship seems pretty well respected, and Brooks seems kind of churlish, so the story "feels" right.

The tap-in on 18 was pretty funny yesterday, TBH. The TV crew didn't really know how to handle it.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

BK sounds like a douch3bag. I still like watching him play golf.

He should run with this and turn full heel. He already thinks nobody likes him, so we might as well validate that for him.

i always wished Tiger had gone FullNWO when he came back from the incident. grill, tats, a tiger on a leash he walked around with, an entourage that included hos aplenty and charlie sheen, handlebar mustache. way too many corporate dollars at stake tho. oh well.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5