Golftec swing analysis what a ripoff

reteemcgee

Personally, I don't think many bigger retail golf shops can pay a lot so not many experienced instructors go to teach there even with all the technology they have. Most of the experienced instructors work independently with golf courses. Also from my experience going into golf shops, there are very few employees that have a lot of golf experience unless they are smaller independent shops. Generally, more experienced golfers don't want to work at retail golf shops because they don't get playing privileges. Of course there are exceptions but I haven't seem many.

Golftec isn't a retail golf shop. And they actually pay more than most teachers would make on their own. They aren't hiring guys without golf experience, they are golf pros.

Golftec's issue is due to the volume of lessons and the large number of teachers they must have, there simply aren't enough really good teachers to fill those roles. And many really good teachers can make as much or more money working for themselves. There's a lot of knowledgeable and very good teachers that work for Golftec. There also a lot who aren't. Like any big business.

Do you know much are they paying them? Just curious. I don't think Golftec instructors are getting paid more than the some of the popular and busy independent golf instructors. I don't have specific numbers, just going off observations and my experience when I worked for a few years in the golf industry.

Remember, Dick's Sporting Goods eliminated their entire PGA instruction staff in 2014.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2014/07/23/with-golf-sales-struggling-dick-eliminates-pga-instructors.html

Personally, I don't think many bigger retail golf shops can pay a lot so not many experienced instructors go to teach there even with all the technology they have. Most of the experienced instructors work independently with golf courses. Also from my experience going into golf shops, there are very few employees that have a lot of golf experience unless they are smaller independent shops. Generally, more experienced golfers don't want to work at retail golf shops because they don't get playing privileges. Of course there are exceptions but I haven't seem many.

Golftec isn't a retail golf shop. And they actually pay more than most teachers would make on their own. They aren't hiring guys without golf experience, they are golf pros.

Golftec's issue is due to the volume of lessons and the large number of teachers they must have, there simply aren't enough really good teachers to fill those roles. And many really good teachers can make as much or more money working for themselves. There's a lot of knowledgeable and very good teachers that work for Golftec. There also a lot who aren't. Like any big business.

Do you know much are they paying them? Just curious. I don't think Golftec instructors are getting paid more than the some of the popular and busy independent golf instructors. I don't have specific numbers, just going off observations and my experience when I worked for a few years in the golf industry.

Remember, Dick's Sporting Goods eliminated their entire PGA instruction staff in 2014.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2014/07/23/with-golf-sales-struggling-dick-eliminates-pga-instructors.html

Yes I know exactly what they are being paid. They make 32-40k starting out and many after several years are making 50-60k. Some making around 100k a year.

Golftec isn’t a retail store. So comparing it to dicks is useless. They are a golf instruction business. I’ve been plenty critical of them but they also receive unfair and inaccurate criticism

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing rugged LH golf for 40 years. Have learned to accommodate my swing flaws in order to score (I am a 8 index), but felt I could do better. A friend recommended Golftec based on a reference from a player he witnessed going from a 14 to a 4 - in 1 year. I was intrigued. I went through a swing evaluation and felt the "coach" was knowledgeable and a good personality fit for me. I signed up for a 10 lesson package (including unlimited practice time). It is not for the feint of wallet.

So far (3 lessons in) I have learned a lot about how I can improve and the practice time is really important to build the muscle memory to change. The videos are crucial to see/hear about your flaws. My coach is terrific, but frankly, I feel lucky to have him based on some of the other coaches I see at the facility. Not sure how far I can go in terms of improvement with Golftec, but make no mistake - I will be an improved player. I am getting better - no doubt.

We all have fantasies that the next new driver, irons, wedges, ______ (fill in the blank) will be "the difference" in our game, but all too often are we are swinging the next shiny thing with the same old swing. It's fun, but somehow a little hollow. I recall playing with a pro in Naples who was demoing the latest irons on the market. I asked "how do you like 'em?" He said "they are really nice....... but I can hit anything..." Right then, it really hit me -- it's the swing stupid! For me, Golftec has been great. YMMV.

Don't trust a place that's a brick building surrounded by cement all around. Other signs will be a Chipotle and a Carrabas nearby. This is where golf dies. Pay someone connected to a golf course.

Future convos at Golftec

"Hi Golftec, how can I help?"

"Hey, so I have a Skytrak I want to get good at."

"We specialize in Skytrak!"

"Great! So you hate nature too!"

"Nature sucks."

I bought the GolfTec package and the first couple of lessons where great. After that it kind of went downhill. I would only recommend paying for a couple of lessons at a time and to not get the package deals that can add up to thousands. Why? Once you pay them a lump sum they no longer have an incentive to teach you to play well. They have your money and they won't go the extra mile to get your money's worth. Also, you might not end up with a good coach. The coaches are probably good golfers but they may not be good coaches. I ended up with a coach I initially enjoyed the first couple of sessions, but as we progressed I ended up not liking him at all. I was stuck with him. They claim you can get assigned another coach, but I can imagine it becoming awkward if you change coaches since you have to go to the same facility and see the same faces.

Another bad thing about GolfTec is everything is indoors and there is a visual monitor. The feedback on body movement is good because you can see your body move, but your ball flight is on a monitor and is artificial. You can't see your ball fly in the air as in an outdoor range. Because of this it is not sufficient to just go to GolfTec. You also have to go to an outdoor range to see the actual ball flight to see and feel the ball instead of looking at a monitor.

I hear people some people that buy the packages end up quitting and not show up for the rest of the lessons. They won't tell you this. So buy only a few lessons at a time to get your money worth and make good use of your time.

I went back last week with the specific instruction that I didn't want to fundamentally chance my swing and simply wanted to improve my margins.

It meant nothing.

50 minutes later we've completely rearchitected my swing. Some changes I couldn't make sure to current injury/flexibility, some parts would take months to completely change, and some parts just didn't make sense. Many observations were completely accurate, yet not in line with my goals.

In the warmup I hit green 16 times from 140 yards with maybe 20 shots. My the end of the 'lesson' I literally couldn't hit a ball with the face of the club.

They have a business model. It seems to work for them. It does not work for me.

Sorry man, I got an icky feeling from Golftec the moment I saw all my local Instructors looked like Vampires in their pictures. Do you know why? Cuz they don't ever see a real golf course!

My mantra: Only take lessons or Range at the course.

Just write it off as spilled milk and don't cry over it. Maybe do a charge back on your credit card? They did not deliver services you are happy with!

• 2 months later...

I'm only a few lessons in, but my experience so far has been good. I play off a 5, and decided I've gotten about as far as I can without some help from a professional. The fact that I can go in and use their launch monitor basically at will is awesome - now I really KNOW my carry distances. They post your lesson videos online, so you can review before a range session.

Don't trust a place that's a brick building surrounded by cement all around. Other signs will be a Chipotle and a Carrabas nearby. This is where golf dies. Pay someone connected to a golf course.

Future convos at Golftec

"Nature sucks."

No doubt. Golf in a building is like snorkeling in a bathtub.

Future convos at Golftec

"Nature sucks."

No doubt. Golf in a building is like snorkeling in a bathtub.

That's just weird.

One man’s ceiling is another man’s floor.

Many years ago I went to Goltec and I credit them with being the first guys that clearly showed me flaws in my swing and i absolutely loved the fact that it was backed by technology.

That whole red light/green light comparison of my swing positions to what the pros do have me a bunch of aha moments that I could never get from a pro at a range.

Anyone thinking Golftec is a “quick fix” deal is clueless about what they’re all about. Golftec is truly most effective as a series of lessons and that’s how they market themselves so not sure I get complaints from people on that.

^^ This ^^

Got to side with GolfTEC on this one. The only instruction article i've ever saved out of a golf magazine was Golf Digest Sept 2009.

Piece was "This move will cure your slice" by Steve Atherton of GolfTEC. Have noticed a few newer pieces by N

Clearwater just as good. Highlighting the difference between Am's and Pro's swing.

Sorry, guys, have to give GolfTec props. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they have variability in instructors, I'm sure. But I found a really good one, and he's made a big difference in my golfing life. I've tried a few other instructors in other places who did nothing for me. Ryan Skoglund (in the Boston area) did a great job of slowly changing my swing while also teaching me about the damn thing so I could better understand what to do when things go awry. And he can diagnose my problems quickly and explain them clearly. He uses technology, but he has not tried to make my swing look like any pro golfer--and given that I'm 66, an overweight hacker, that will never happen. I tend to do a bunch of lessons in the winter, get things squared away, and then only go back occasionally in the summer if all hell breaks loose with my swing. Unfortunately, he's just moved to another location, so I'll either need to be comfortable with another instructor or not go back to GolfTec. But, simply put, I play better and I'm happier on the golf course with Ryan's help.

Sorry, guys, have to give GolfTec props. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they have variability in instructors, I'm sure. But I found a really good one, and he's made a big difference in my golfing life. I've tried a few other instructors in other places who did nothing for me. Ryan Skoglund (in the Boston area) did a great job of slowly changing my swing while also teaching me about the damn thing so I could better understand what to do when things go awry. And he can diagnose my problems quickly and explain them clearly. He uses technology, but he has not tried to make my swing look like any pro golfer--and given that I'm 66, an overweight hacker, that will never happen. I tend to do a bunch of lessons in the winter, get things squared away, and then only go back occasionally in the summer if all hell breaks loose with my swing. Unfortunately, he's just moved to another location, so I'll either need to be comfortable with another instructor or not go back to GolfTec. But, simply put, I play better and I'm happier on the golf course with Ryan's help.

That’s the debate. Instructor or golftec (the comoany). ?

• 4 weeks later...
^^ This ^^

Got to side with GolfTEC on this one. The only instruction article i've ever saved out of a golf magazine was Golf Digest Sept 2009.

Piece was "This move will cure your slice" by Steve Atherton of GolfTEC. Have noticed a few newer pieces by N

Clearwater just as good. Highlighting the difference between Am's and Pro's swing.

The head of Golf Tec instruction was on Morning Drive. He showed a series of the average golfers shot on the simulator on a Par 4 hole. He stated “The Average Golfer Aims here”. And points to the middle of the fairway

Then the simulator shows 15 shots and where they disperse . With 2 shots on the fairway and 13 slicing to the right into the woods.

Then he states “if only these Amateurs aim left then they would hit the fairway!”

And the simulator shows most of the shots on the fairway.

So basically at Golftec they don’t fix your swing. They tell you to aim left.

Golf solved: Aim Left. Live Below Par ;)

^^ This ^^

The head of Golf Tec instruction was on Morning Drive. He showed a series of the average golfers shot on the simulator on a Par 4 hole. He stated “The Average Golfer Aims here”. And points to the middle of the fairway

Then the simulator shows 15 shots and where they disperse . With 2 shots on the fairway and 13 slicing to the right into the woods.

Then he states “if only these Amateurs aim left then they would hit the fairway!”

That’s just sillly.

First off, Lee Trevino just as one example used to advocate the simple concept of “if you keep hitting it right on any particular day, start aiming left!”

I did a whole series of GolfTec lessons and never did they talk to me about golf course strategy. It was all about specific positions at setup, backswing, forward swing and follow through. Simple and straightforward.

^^ This ^^

You don't honestly believe that is all they teach do you?

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

^^ This ^^

The head of Golf Tec instruction was on Morning Drive. He showed a series of the average golfers shot on the simulator on a Par 4 hole. He stated “The Average Golfer Aims hereâ€. And points to the middle of the fairway

Then he states “if only these Amateurs aim left then they would hit the fairway!â€

They went on Morning Drive and that was their presentation. When we are in a presentation that is our chance to represent ourselves. That was them representing themselves.

^^ This ^^

The head of Golf Tec instruction was on Morning Drive. He showed a series of the average golfers shot on the simulator on a Par 4 hole. He stated “The Average Golfer Aims hereâ€. And points to the middle of the fairway

Then he states “if only these Amateurs aim left then they would hit the fairway!â€

They went on Morning Drive and that was their presentation. When we are in a presentation that is our chance to represent ourselves. That was them representing themselves.

Have you personally taken lessons from a GolfTec instructor? Or Nick Clearwater?

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

This thread makes me curious as to how common it is for people to start lessons without utilizing referrals or a previously identified solid reputation through reviews of some sort.

I mean no offense to the OP, but I’m surprised that anyone would randomly take lessons from an “instructor”....inside a big box store no less.... that they know absolutely nothing about. I guess this must happen a lot or they wouldn’t be in business, but I do find it quite strange.

I won’t go to a new doctor without a reference or a well established reputation. I won’t take my car for service at a new place without a reference or spectacular on line reviews.. There are a lot of hacks out there. You should investigate a bit before tossing away good money.

And speaking of money, Wow!, I had no idea those Golftec lessons were so expensive. Yikes.

They're actually not too bad. I did a swing analysis and 10 lesson package two years back and it ended up being, like, $550. If you buy a package, they waive the cost of the analysis session. At least they did at the time.

I did the swing analysis at golftec sort of for the same reason as OP. And though yes it was annoying to get the sales pitch for the package i had no interest in, if you listen closely about all the readings they take, you get a lot of info on your golf swing. Plus they talk about what movements they feel need correcting so overall I was pleased with what I got.

I guess a swing analysis is not a golf lesson so know what your getting when you sign up

(And for those knocking the brick & motor setting, I remember that 1/2 of the lessons in the package where held at the golf courses where the pro’s worked at so not all the time is spent in the hitting bays at the golftec.)

GolfTec is very good for one thing which is getting computerized data on different positions within your swing relative to top players. I can’t tell you how many lessons I’ve taken over the years where instructors give nearly blind suggestions and after hours of working on it you find their advice to be way off. GolfTec gives players the ability to get unbiased feedback. Now whether or not the pro at GolfTec can get you where you need to be is another story.

My advice. Get the data and then take that info to a pro you want to work with. Then go back to GolfTec to see if it’s working.

This thread makes me curious as to how common it is for people to start lessons without utilizing referrals or a previously identified solid reputation through reviews of some sort.

I mean no offense to the OP, but I’m surprised that anyone would randomly take lessons from an “instructor”....inside a big box store no less.... that they know absolutely nothing about. I guess this must happen a lot or they wouldn’t be in business, but I do find it quite strange.

I won’t go to a new doctor without a reference or a well established reputation. I won’t take my car for service at a new place without a reference or spectacular on line reviews.. There are a lot of hacks out there. You should investigate a bit before tossing away good money.

And speaking of money, Wow!, I had no idea those Golftec lessons were so expensive. Yikes.

They're actually not too bad. I did a swing analysis and 10 lesson package two years back and it ended up being, like, $550. If you buy a package, they waive the cost of the analysis session. At least they did at the time.

$550 for 10 lessons isn't bad at all. For you math majors that's $55 per lesson. That's an avg cost I'd say.

At the course where I play, we have the David Leadbetter Academy. Only $250 PER lesson!

Well the good news is...

"even though I instantly spotted the main problem he never mentioned it"

Now that you know what your main problem is, go fix it!

See my post, #10. :)

We're on the same page.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

GolfTec is very good for one thing which is getting computerized data on different positions within your swing relative to top players. I can’t tell you how many lessons I’ve taken over the years where instructors give nearly blind suggestions and after hours of working on it you find their advice to be way off. GolfTec gives players the ability to get unbiased feedback. Now whether or not the pro at GolfTec can get you where you need to be is another story.

My advice. Get the data and then take that info to a pro you want to work with. Then go back to GolfTec to see if it’s working.

This is exactly what a buddy of mine is doing. I was shocked when he said he signed up for a 3month pkg but he just goes and uses the video and data to mostly figure it out himself. He’s old school and never really got into trackman etc mostly but now.. he says it’s transformed his swing and texted me data > instruction.

• 2 months later...

Reviving thread -

Had a swing eval today. Gift from a buddy. There was a mild sales pitch, but my occupation is an amulet against bullxxxx, so, my mantra is don't threaten me w a good time.

I found it very useful. Two minor changes that will improve things quite a bit (I hope), and harmless to try out.

It's a little schticky putting video of my swing next to Tiger and drawing any parallel lines whatsoever- but seriously what's the harm.

If you think you're susceptible to that comparison and it will cause you to buy the $2k package, then stay away.

But if you want some pretty good swing video to look at and some decent if not Godly advice, you could do worse.

The pros in my area are approximately $60-$80 per hour unless you go to the bigtime guys, so it's not out of line.

For me it helped me to see the moment of impact, my takeaway, and the difference in my 2 planes. Worth it.

Reviving thread -

Had a swing eval today. Gift from a buddy. There was a mild sales pitch, but my occupation is an amulet against bullxxxx, so, my mantra is don't threaten me w a good time.

I found it very useful. Two minor changes that will improve things quite a bit (I hope), and harmless to try out.

It's a little schticky putting video of my swing next to Tiger and drawing any parallel lines whatsoever- but seriously what's the harm.

If you think you're susceptible to that comparison and it will cause you to buy the $2k package, then stay away.

But if you want some pretty good swing video to look at and some decent if not Godly advice, you could do worse.

The pros in my area are approximately $60-$80 per hour unless you go to the bigtime guys, so it's not out of line.

For me it helped me to see the moment of impact, my takeaway, and the difference in my 2 planes. Worth it.

You gotta take 2 planes to get anywhere these days! Haha

I think it's all down to the instructor, but I don't think they live up to the 'Tec' part of the name... The industry has moved on about a decade in both technology and biomechanical understanding.

They basically use a first generation (wires and Velcro) K-vest type setup, yet the only times I've gone it's been pretty much used as a 'Wow the client' sales tool, with no thorough analysis of what all those numbers or angles mean, or what to do with them. Everything after that is basically a 15 year old 2D video golf lesson, trying to make you look like Tiger (and 2D Tiger, at that).

If I compare that with the $200 I've spent for each (greater than two hour) modern TPI evaluation and K-vest sessions, the differences in the use of the technology and the analysis of the data to drive improvement within my specific limitations could not be more different. The K-vest sessions were a steal.

I consider GolfTec a good place to rent a bay with a GC2, unless of course you get real lucky with a particular instructor.

I'd rather stump up the extra for a 3D / pressure mat analysis with a Monte or iTeach type that know what to do with the data they capture.