Watch Enthusiasts

chiguy

Too much going on. Easy pass for me.

D’oh - I meant to post the standard fifty fathom - have amended my post!

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

looks like a subdate. Why not just get a subdate?

I’ve never really liked Rolex - it’s a bit ‘obvious’ as a choice of watch, despite making sense from an investment standpoint, everyone has one, and I don’t want to drop USD 8k on something that everyone has.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Really? Really?

Sorry but any horological enthusiast wouldn't call a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms a "may as well get a sub date."

If anything a Sub Date is a "may as well get a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms"

Rolex so help me ARGH is the Scotty Cameron of the watch industry.

I'm beginning to wonder if you're a watch guy or just another lost Rolex guy.

just ribbin but sorta serious. :)

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Would be interested in people's opinions on this - I know it's not a Rolex, but that is part of the appeal...

5015-1130-52_front.png

I already have the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (30th birthday present) and a Corum flyback I got as a present to myself when I left the UK

Worn by the French Navy dive team--the original modern underwater warfare unit.

Worn by the US Navy divers

Was on Jacques Cousteau's wrist during his 'Silent World' film.

The go-to watch of Jacques Piccard. Challenger Deep, 1960? First man to explore the Mariana Trench (with a US Navy lieutenant who also wore one)?

You know. Real divers and stuff.

"May as well get a sub". are you f***ing kidding me?

Yessir. The fifty fathoms is the OG modern dive watch. The PING Anser of the dive watch world. Wear it with pride people who know will appreciate your taste. Rolex people will be clueless as usual.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Dan - you seem like a man of taste - would you go for blue or black? This is likely to be my last watch purchase for a very long time (probably until my as yet unconceived and unborn son turns 21) so I figure it may as well be a good one...

Really? Really?

Sorry but any horological enthusiast wouldn't call a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms a "may as well get a sub date."

I’ve owned it all. And I’ve sold it all. I’m a vintage guy. Minus the date being on the 4pm side it looks like a Sub. That’s not to say it’s a bad thing. The sub is the most copied watch in the history of man kind. It’s the same reason I don’t own a seamaster. The looks are too similar. BP are not known for their sports watch. This isn’t about taste. I don’t even like any of the ceracrom Rolex. Anything modern is a no no in my books. So no I’m not a Rolex guy.

But to call Rolex similar to Scotty Cameron is laughable and quite frankly ignorant(it is more so similar to mercedes). The 100 year history of the Rolex brand is unmatched. It is a tried and true brand worn by the king to the bear to tiger. "Best" and "better" are purely in the eye of the beholder. In my eyes BP got nothing on Rolex. As far as horology, Jaeger LeCoultre is the top when you factor in value. Obviously Patek is way up there but a 40k premium with a 20% loss when you decide to sell isn't exactly my cup of tea. Look at the rolex factory. There is no company that can touch Rolex when it comes to top quality mass manufacturing.

You will never lose money selling your Rolex. In fact it will appreciate as fast as the market. Scotty doesn’t even come close.

Opinions are opinions and that’s what this forum is all about. You can be right. It doesn’t bother me. The market says otherwise. What is more laughable is your reaction.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I’ve never really liked Rolex - it’s a bit ‘obvious’ as a choice of watch, despite making sense from an investment standpoint, everyone has one, and I don’t want to drop USD 8k on something that everyone has.

8k is a current vintage Tudor bottom price. My full set 5513 is worth almost 3x as much. And from my understanding there’s only about a couple hundred thousand people out of billions that own what I have. And out of those hundred thousands there’s only a handful that still have a full set with chamfer for days. If you want something that will appreciate and look similar might as well find an honest example of a sub.

They’re also not as plentiful as believed. It seems so due to the marketing. There is a tight squeeze on sports Rolex currently.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Im on the hunt for one of these in the used market, keep an eye out for me lol

Brew_HP-1silver-10-700x467.jpg

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I've never really liked Rolex - it's a bit 'obvious' as a choice of watch, despite making sense from an investment standpoint, everyone has one, and I don't want to drop USD 8k on something that everyone has.

8k is a current vintage Tudor bottom price. My full set 5513 is worth almost 3x as much. And from my understanding there's only about a couple hundred thousand people out of billions that own what I have. And out of those hundred thousands there's only a handful that still have a full set with chamfer for days. If you want something that will appreciate and look similar might as well find an honest example of a sub.

They're also not as plentiful as believed. It seems so due to the marketing. There is a tight squeeze on sports Rolex currently.

I picked up a 75090 before the Tudor vintage market heated up a few years ago for $1800. It was an awesome vintage piece but at 36mm too small for me. I traded it in towards an early 2000's 16610 for more than I paid and am not complaining....but I have been eyeing the larger 79090 Tudor subs as of late.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Some good inputs - thanks to jerebear and dan.

The reason I don't want a Rolex are as follows:

The brand is too mass market - in Asia, all of the taxi drivers and random uncles have a Rolex (not a sub, but still a Rolex). I can think of 3 people with Daytona's who sit within about 30 feet of me. I don't care if Tiger got sponsored to wear one, and I don't like Mercedes because they are a very mid market product. I also don't want to spend a shed load of cash on a very expensive second hand watch, on the hope that it will further appreciate - I am not into collecting watches, and I am buying this watch to symbolise a significant stage of my life. I don't see me selling it ever, so residuals are not a factor. It doesn't help that the first 2 sub's I looked at on chrono24 had suffered water damage....

What I am looking for is a timeless watch that is a bit special, and not the 'obvious' choice. I don't want a full dress watch, as I hope to be out of my suit and tie banking job in 5 years, but I do want something that I can wear to meet clients, as well as wear out on a Saturday night.

I'm not a fan of Panerai (I think the design will become dated), AP (same reason), and IWC is nice, but is either too dressy or trying to be too retro (the Pilot series). I've done Omega, and Breitling is not my style - the B01 Superocean heritage is nice, but not that special for the money.

Hence I ended up at the Fifty Fathoms - it's a nice size, even on my wrist, and stands out as a really nice watch, but isn't the ubiquitous Rolex.

I am not filthy rich by all means but mercedes is definitely NOT a mid market vehicle. Maybe in the luxury division but far from mid market. A mid market is a honda or toyota or nissan.

With that said I've owned it all and sold it all and know what the cost loss is. I don't like losing money EVER. My advice will always be on the winning side.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I like sports watches and am pretty annoyed how Rolex creates huge demand for their watches.

Let’s limit the supply to make them more desirable, winds me up

The sub deep sea and a few others are fabulous watches, but they are driving prices up due to their bi yearly, we are limiting the supply.

Really like the IWC pilots the breitlings the Jaeger the blancpain etc and you can’t go wrong with any of them

If I had the money, which I don’t I’d get the Patek Aquanaut. Really like the simplistic look

Really? Really?

I’ve owned it all. And I’ve sold it all. I’m a vintage guy. Minus the date being on the 4pm side it looks like a Sub. That’s not to say it’s a bad thing. The sub is the most copied watch in the history of man kind. It’s the same reason I don’t own a seamaster. The looks are too similar. BP are not known for their sports watch. This isn’t about taste. I don’t even like any of the ceracrom Rolex. Anything modern is a no no in my books. So no I’m not a Rolex guy.

But to call Rolex similar to Scotty Cameron is laughable and quite frankly ignorant(it is more so similar to mercedes). The 100 year history of the Rolex brand is unmatched. It is a tried and true brand worn by the king to the bear to tiger. "Best" and "better" are purely in the eye of the beholder. In my eyes BP got nothing on Rolex. As far as horology, Jaeger LeCoultre is the top when you factor in value. Obviously Patek is way up there but a 40k premium with a 20% loss when you decide to sell isn't exactly my cup of tea. Look at the rolex factory. There is no company that can touch Rolex when it comes to top quality mass manufacturing.

You will never lose money selling your Rolex. In fact it will appreciate as fast as the market. Scotty doesn’t even come close.

Opinions are opinions and that’s what this forum is all about. You can be right. It doesn’t bother me. The market says otherwise. What is more laughable is your reaction.

Rolex builds a nice watch with a huge mark up because people think it is something it is not.

You're investing in image. Nothing wrong with that.

You'll never convince me they are anything special when they have the mass manufacturing capability to crank out 1,000% more watches than they do, but artificially scale back and spend billions on marketing to create a perception.

The Submariner has zero cred as a real dive watch. Other than COMEX getting paid by Rolex to equip their personnel. Which ended once Rolex stopped comping. Ironic.

Oh, and a secret agent who isn't even real.

Ya. I'm the ignorant one. LOL

Spend your money where you like but the truth is the truth.

The Deep Sea is a solid watch though.

The perception worked and the reason why the most expensive watch ever sold is a Rolex. Hard to argue against the brand regardless of how you feel about the quality. My birth year GMT and my 50 year old 5513 feels like toys when held in your hands. Nothing great about it. But it’s appreciating every day.

And I appreciate that.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Picked up this fantastically modded sumo

2nuo3a.jpg

a10m74.jpg

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

The perception worked and the reason why the most expensive watch ever sold is a Rolex. Hard to argue against the brand regardless of how you feel about the quality. My birth year GMT and my 50 year old 5513 feels like toys when held in your hands. Nothing great about it. But it’s appreciating every day.

And I appreciate that.

I will concur that Rolex is the absolute perfect example of proof that we as humans can most definitively get other humans to buy coyote crap in a brown paper sack if we spend billions convincing them they need to.

And I appreciate that.

I will concur that Rolex is the absolute perfect example of proof that we as humans can most definitively get other humans to buy coyote crap in a brown paper sack if we spend billions convincing them they need to.

The Salvator Mundi went for 450m. And most davinci’s don’t shoot under 100m. It’s in the eye of the beholder. Who are we to judge.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

And I appreciate that.

The Salvator Mundi went for 450m. And most davinci’s don’t shoot under 100m. It’s in the eye of the beholder. Who are we to judge.

I don't judge. People are free to blow their cash whatever way they please and marketeers will continue to program people's minds to believe things are what they aren't.

Back on topic. As a watch, the Blancpain checks off more boxes on the horological quality form than a Submariner ever will.

Marketing, creative rewritten history, and utter emperor's new clothes BS notwithstanding. Just like a certain putter maker we all know.

:)

2nuo3a.jpg

a10m74.jpg

This looks great! Is it one of those modded by that one guy who I can't remember the name of?

lol

2nuo3a.jpg

a10m74.jpg

This looks great! Is it one of those modded by that one guy who I can't remember the name of?

lol

It's the same watch lol

Bought it already modded of a guy on watchuseek.

Just picked this up today, kinetic Tuna

2lt13ix.jpg

Seemore mFGP2 

2nuo3a.jpg

a10m74.jpg

lol

It's the same watch lol

Bought it already modded of a guy on watchuseek.

Just picked this up today, kinetic Tuna

2lt13ix.jpg

Love it!

I should get a modded SKX, or a couple. They look sick lately. That Tuna rocks too!

Cool article. Hodinkee did a great polishing job there. Too bad "The Foundation" doesn't reinvest some of that non-profit cash back into ramping up production, then more of the world could enjoy a $8,500 $1,800 Submariner. LOL!

Cool article. Hodinkee did a great polishing job there. Too bad "The Foundation" doesn't reinvest some of that non-profit cash back into ramping up production, then more of the world could enjoy a $8,500 $1,800 Submariner. LOL!

Some like Rolex and some don’t. Get over it. Your ignorant rants have become tiresome

Some like Rolex and some don’t. Get over it. Your ignorant rants have become tiresome

Who says I don't like Rolex?

Ignorant? More like see them for what they are. Don't be a hater because you're still a mark. LOL!

it has more to do with your disparaging comments, directly or indirectly, to those who like or may not like. Opinions are fine but once you start talking like a pleb I'll agree with everything you say.

you see what I did there?

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x