2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2019 PGA 'Ship at Bethpage

smashdn

Being in May, any concerns with the course coming out of winter, especially if NY has a particularly hard winter?

An ugly bit of travel too in three weeks, Dallas, Bethpage, Ft. Worth.

I liked the "book-ending" of the season having the PGA Championship towards the end of the year. I think dealing with the heat was an added little test to be taken on as well. It is also nice, imo, to have the majors spread out somewhat but I understand the move.

Will they narrow the fairways and grow out the rough or will they attempt to dry it out as best as they can?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a Major, they will close the course starting on New Years day if they have to so that its perfect by May! Seriously, there should be no doubts that it wont be pristine.

Yea, conditions might be tough, but they are pros and they will have to earn it. People will always whine then a major championship is won in the + numbers. Im sorry you didnt get to see so many birdies and feel like it wasnt exciting but thats golf!

Ive played Bethpage in may and in August/September. Completely different courses. I dont know how they will pull it off unless they close the course for 2 months and even then a wet spring (which is usually the case) will ruin any plans. It would be easier to set it up as an open course than a pga at that point

The Pga will be back in august in no time after they realize the mistake they made.Same crap with the Players championship.

Ive played Bethpage in may and in August/September. Completely different courses. I dont know how they will pull it off unless they close the course for 2 months and even then a wet spring (which is usually the case) will ruin any plans. It would be easier to set it up as an open course than a pga at that point

The Pga will be back in august in no time after they realize the mistake they made.Same crap with the Players championship.

The only reason the Players moved back was because of the PGA move. The course played better in May than it will in March

They can't dry it out, it is May in NY, meaning wet. The fescue and rough will be insane.

If there is a lot of rain around the time of the event, then thick rough won't matter much. The guys absolutely tore the place to pieces at the 2009 U.S. Open even with a typical USGA setup. Ton of rain made the course pretty defenseless. Good old Ricky Barnes made it to double digits under par at one point.

The only reason the Players moved back was because of the PGA move. The course played better in May than it will in March

Got it totally backwards. The PGA Tour asked the PGA of America to move the PGA Championship to May so that they could end the Fed Ex Cup play-offs at the end of August and not conflict with the NFL. The PGA Tour only moved the Players back to March after the PGA of America agreed to move the PGA Championship.

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

Got it totally backwards. The PGA Tour asked the PGA of America to move the PGA Championship to May so that they could end the Fed Ex Cup play-offs at the end of August and not conflict with the NFL. The PGA Tour only moved the Players back to March after the PGA of America agreed to move the PGA Championship.

Greg

That’s literally exactly what I said, not sure what you were reading.

The Players was moved back to March only because the PGA was moved to May. Had the PGA not been moved The Players wouldn’t have been moved.

Sticky is the word I want to use to describe it. I think it will be sticky. Heavy rough and soft conditions. Not that soft conditions can't be hard to play in or produce good golf but soft greens are not my preference for watching the pros play on.

I live in the southern half of the transition zone for grasses. We have winter kill bermuda in the fairways pretty regular the last five years. Is winter kill not an issue with bent and bent/poa or fescue up north?

Is there anyone of note on record against the PGA being moved? All the players and commentators/analysts I've heard seemed to be positive about the move, surprised there isn't at least one dissenting voice.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Sticky is the word I want to use to describe it. I think it will be sticky. Heavy rough and soft conditions. Not that soft conditions can't be hard to play in or produce good golf but soft greens are not my preference for watching the pros play on.

I live in the southern half of the transition zone for grasses. We have winter kill bermuda in the fairways pretty regular the last five years. Is winter kill not an issue with bent and bent/poa or fescue up north?

It's usually not a problem with bent. I do imagine it being very wet and very soft in May... it'll be interesting

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I hope you are right, I like it as it is but willing to give the new schedule a go but I'm sceptical about such a compressed season. I think its sad that the major schedule which has been in place for many decades is now being overhauled because of TV ratings and FedEx Cup. The Olympics seemed like a convenient smokescreen as they didn't want to admit it was completely about money.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Was Bethpage selected before they announced the move to May?

This will probably be one of the few times that a northern course will host the PGA in the future.

Bethpage will be pretty soft and the fescue won't be very long.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

Greg

That's literally exactly what I said, not sure what you were reading.

The Players was moved back to March only because the PGA was moved to May. Had the PGA not been moved The Players wouldn't have been moved.

Didn't the Olympics have another thing to do with it as well.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Greg

That's literally exactly what I said, not sure what you were reading.

The Players was moved back to March only because the PGA was moved to May. Had the PGA not been moved The Players wouldn't have been moved.

Didn't the Olympics have another thing to do with it as well.

I think it was way more to do with $ and competing with nfl

...and players were whining about going PGA major to FedExCup to Ryder Cup so fast...but they will whine about anything.

Was the FedEx Cup really hurt by the NFL? I don't know, but certainly all these decisions have almost nothing to do with what fans/players want and everything to do with extracting the most $. Most of the time I don't have a problem with people chasing the $, but sometimes they can be a bit short-sighted and while the $ gain now looks good will it look good in the long term for the PGA Championship? I don't think so.

And what happened to the notion that a significant %'age of clubs are not playable in winter, so as a PGA pro, you spend the late spring/summer getting your game into some kind of shape, hope to qualify for PGA Professionals Championship and then get lucky to punch your ticket to PGA Championship. Now you have the PGA Professionals Championship in April! Not that I the Sweater Folders of America need my support (I am joking with the sweater part), but it seems a slap in the face to mess with the routine of the very people who are the foundation of your organization. I wish the PGA would have told the PGA Tour to * off and keep their tournament in August.

And as much as I love the Open Championship, it is still bizarre to me the 4th major is not played where you have the highest ratings and revenue (i.e. attention). Not to knock the Open, but what a downer way to end the majors season.

Most of the next 10 venues were picked before the date change, the next 5 definitely were;

Bethpage

Harding Park

Kiawah

Trump National

Oak Hill

3 North East courses, one south (ish) and one West Coast.

I wish I had the time and ability to see the next five years worth of [mens] US Opens and PGA Championships put on a map just to see where they are not going for golf. I feel like the Northwest and center of the country are under represented.

2019 - Pebble Beach (CA)

2020 - Winged Foot (NY)

2021 - Torrey Pines (CA)

2022 - The Country Club (MA)

2023 - LACC (CA)

2024 - Pinehurst (NC)

Southern Hills?

Whistling Straights?

Erin Hills for a PGA?

Most of the next 10 venues were picked before the date change, the next 5 definitely were;

Bethpage

Harding Park

Kiawah

Trump National

Oak Hill

3 North East courses, one south (ish) and one West Coast.

I wish I had the time and ability to see the next five years worth of [mens] US Opens and PGA Championships put on a map just to see where they are not going for golf. I feel like the Northwest and center of the country are under represented.

2019 - Pebble Beach (CA)

2020 - Winged Foot (NY)

2021 - Torrey Pines (CA)

2022 - The Country Club (MA)

2023 - LACC (CA)

2024 - Pinehurst (NC)

Southern Hills?

Whistling Straights?

Erin Hills for a PGA?

Valhalla and Souther Hills have already been chosen for future PGA Championships.

Even though I am from KY, I do not care for Valhalla. I was there on Sunday at the senior pga? or senior us open? when Tom Watson won. It is very hard to stay with a group on that course. You parked at the fairgrounds and shuttled to the course. I wouldn't say it produced very compelling golf either.

As has been discussed in the past this May date could be a huge problem for any northern venues--- rare, but it does happen, that we get snow in May. Wet and cool (cold) is a very common occurrence.

I was playing a member-guest outside of Buffalo in early June on a miserable day, and there were snowflakes coming down. Oak Hill (Rochester) could be awful.

As a matter of fact, once the PGA tries Oak Hill in May, they might decide that they will never hold another championship in the Northeast.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Just put a giant tarpaulin over it for the entire duration of winter. You’re very welcome.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag