Flynn-golf quality issue?

mrshinsa

Just received the 57" irons from Flynn-golf last week.

I looked at the wedges and was alarmed at the milling or lack of.

Attached are the pictures comparing the older 54" wedges(bottom) and the newer 57" wedges(top).

I've contacted Flynn-golf, and here is their response:

Here's what can be said about CNC milling of our wedges:

1) There is a maximum allowable milling depth as specified by USGA and the milling must be less than the USGA specified depth.

2) Sometimes it could be the wedge's finish coating or lesser amount of finish coating which influences the perception of milling depth.

3) Can not speak to a perception of "definitely seem thinner" but there can be some very minor variation in milling depth within the specification for any brand of wedges including VT MAX. While it is possible that your previous wedge had a very slightly deeper CNC milling depth, this minor variation can not expected to influence wedge performance.

4) For context, we have sold thousands of these wedges and previously there have been no customer comments at any time that have taken issue with milling depth.

5) For various reasons, including that we have made no product claims about milling depth, we can not offer to take back clubs based on a perception that the milling might be or should be different.

Thank you,

Flynn Golf customer service

Any thoughts?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not an expert on this, but flynn wedges always seemed a little strange to me one reason we went away from them. They seemed very short in comparison to us kids, the spin was crazy low. Went to an OEM wedge and fixed everything. They generally make good quality products but their wedges I've never been a fan of.

One thing I will say is that having a little bit heavier wedge is a good thing IMO. My daughter had Flynn clubs and I recently bought her some women’s clubs and had them cut down to her specs. For her wedges, I bought some Cleveland ladies wedges. All of her clubs have ladies flex graphite shafts. The heads on her Cleveland wedges are bigger than on her Flynn wedges and overall they are heavier. She seems to like the heavier wedges and feels like it helps her get down through the ball better. I can tell you for a fact that it has helped in the bunker.

Look normal to me. Mike has always had great customer service and that is why I bought both of my kids Flynn clubs. US Kids has got a good thing going with their new TS3 set and I'm sure Mike will be coming out with a new product of his own very soon.

That's very strange. If you take a look at the second picture, there is an obvious difference between the two wedges.

If I were to walk into a golf store an picked up two identical wedges, my expectation would be that they have the exact same groove depth and width, as well as same milling profile. Any variation would be deemed as lack of quality control or a defect in either one.

not an expert on this, but flynn wedges always seemed a little strange to me one reason we went away from them. They seemed very short in comparison to us kids, the spin was crazy low. Went to an OEM wedge and fixed everything. They generally make good quality products but their wedges I've never been a fan of.

Interesting comment, but how can a wedge "seem short"?

Were you able to measure the length and compare it to published specs? and compare that the length to the US Kids wedges?

https://www.flynn-go.../Details?id=443

I've actually been pleased with the spin in the Flynn wedges, hence why we went back. The milling profile on these new wedges gives me less confidence, however...

I thought my boy got more spin with the US Kids wedges than the Flynn series. Moved over to an OEM after Flynn and the spin is back as well.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Were you able to measure the length and compare it to published specs? and compare that the length to the US Kids wedges?

I've actually been pleased with the spin in the Flynn wedges, hence why we went back. The milling profile on these new wedges gives me less confidence, however...

distance short. US kids wedges are longer. Threw the gapping off a bit. I also found they didn't spin as much and at times would get a bit too much release. Compare that to OEM we have now, spin is very high, and I probably spent way to much for what they are worth for an 8 year old girl. But flynn just didn't cut it on the wedge side

distance short. US kids wedges are longer. Threw the gapping off a bit. I also found they didn't spin as much and at times would get a bit too much release. Compare that to OEM we have now, spin is very high, and I probably spent way to much for what they are worth for an 8 year old girl. But flynn just didn't cut it on the wedge side

FWIW, took my sons Flynn clubs in and a fitter checked them and the 60* was actually a 62*.

FWIW, took my sons Flynn clubs in and a fitter checked them and the 60* was actually a 62*.

That the only club like that? That’s crazy

That the only club like that? That’s crazy

All three were off from what they were supposed to be. The 60 was the most extreme but the 54 and 50 were both off a degree. Doesn't matter to a kids game but quality control isn't exactly perfect.

My kid went to Flynn wedges several years ago. He liked them, but they were shorter in distance than the US Kids with less spin.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

mrshinsa, not sure if you can return the wedges, but I'd be looking at these: https://www.clevelandgolf.com/us/clubs/juniors-golf-clubs/wedges

Looking at the CBX, looks very much like a game improvement wedge. Would the RTX be more appropriate?

RTX in junior spec shaft (KBS 560 I believe) would also be a good option.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

I bought my daughter the Cleveland RTX-3 CB tour wedges. Got the 54 and 58 with the ladies flex graphite shaft. Cut them down a few inches so they would fit her and she loves them. I looked at the Callaway Mack Daddy wedges as well but ended up going with Cleveland because I got a good price.

How old is your daughter. My son is 10 and we are looking for wedges for next season

mrshinsa, not sure if you can return the wedges, but I'd be looking at these: https://www.clevelandgolf.com/us/clubs/juniors-golf-clubs/wedges

Looking at the CBX, looks very much like a game improvement wedge. Would the RTX be more appropriate?

Good to see other manufacturers offering junior clubs, but yes the cavity back profile does turn me off a bit.

I’ve purchased many sets of irons from Flynn over the years. I recently purchased a new set of irons and the head of the sand wedge started separating from the ferrule. I sent a message to Mike and he said to take it to a golf shop and have it repaired. He said he would reimburse me for the cost. I was a bit disappointed in that response since my schedule is already so hectic. I expected him to send me a new wedge and I would’ve returned the defective wedge. In my opinion, I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

I’ve purchased many sets of irons from Flynn over the years. I recently purchased a new set of irons and the head of the sand wedge started separating from the ferrule. I sent a message to Mike and he said to take it to a golf shop and have it repaired. He said he would reimburse me for the cost. I was a bit disappointed in that response since my schedule is already so hectic. I expected him to send me a new wedge and I would’ve returned the defective wedge. In my opinion, I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

I know in the past he has done exactly what you said and had people send the club back. He would in turn just send them a new club. Not sure what is going on with Flynn golf but customer service has always been one of their big selling points.

Ehhh. Disagree. I am in the sporting goods business. It would cost him more in freight than what the cost of the club is. Then he has a used club that he can't do anything with and has to throw away. Guy is in the business of making money and what you are proposing is him losing money.

Ehhh. Disagree. I am in the sporting goods business. It would cost him more in freight than what the cost of the club is. Then he has a used club that he can't do anything with and has to throw away. Guy is in the business of making money and what you are proposing is him losing money.

No doubt he would lose money but sometimes retailers have to eat the cost if they shipped me a defective product. I think to provide good customer service, he should’ve sent me a new wedge instead of expecting me to take time out of my schedule to go to a golf shop and wait/come back to pick up the club. That’s my opinion. Now, I’d be less likely to purchase any more products from Flynn.

No doubt he would lose money but sometimes retailers have to eat the cost if they shipped me a defective product. I think to provide good customer service, he should’ve sent me a new wedge instead of expecting me to take time out of my schedule to go to a golf shop and wait/come back to pick up the club. That’s my opinion. Now, I’d be less likely to purchase any more products from Flynn.

lol... Do you expect if you bought a set of Callaway Clubs from Budget Golf and the same thing happen that they would replace it? Nope. They wouldn't even offer to reimburse you. Easiest fix is to take it to a local golf shop. You could send it back to Callaway, but more than likely they aren't going to reimburse you either. They will fix at no charge, but could take several weeks to get it back and you are paying for freight.

If you want customer service, buy local.

Not going to argue with you, but within a business sense, your opinion is wrong. I would have done the same exact thing.

lol... Do you expect if you bought a set of Callaway Clubs from Budget Golf and the same thing happen that they would replace it? Nope. They wouldn't even offer to reimburse you. Easiest fix is to take it to a local golf shop. You could send it back to Callaway, but more than likely they aren't going to reimburse you either. They will fix at no charge, but could take several weeks to get it back and you are paying for freight.

Not going to argue with you, but within a business sense, your opinion is wrong. I would have done the same exact thing.

I think if the product is defective, most retailers will exchange the product without asking the customer to go and get it fixed somewhere. Most retailers have policies on defective merchandise in which they'll offer an exchange or refund without making you pay to ship it back. Heck, I've had retailers just tell me to keep the defective product.

In your example of budget golf, if the club was new when purchased, I believe Callaway or any reputable club manufacturer would send me a new club and pay for the shipping of the new club and send me a free shipping return label to return the defective one.

Again, in my opinion, if a retailer sells me a defective product, I fully expect that retailer to send me a new one, even if he has to take a loss which I'm sure wouldn't be that much. I'm talking one wedge that cost $55. Just write if off to keep a repeat customer happy and continue to get business from that customer in the future.

I think if the product is defective, most retailers will exchange the product without asking the customer to go and get it fixed somewhere. Most retailers have policies on defective merchandise in which they'll offer an exchange or refund without making you pay to ship it back. Heck, I've had retailers just tell me to keep the defective product.

In your example of budget golf, if the club was new when purchased, I believe Callaway or any reputable club manufacturer would send me a new club and pay for the shipping of the new club and send me a free shipping return label to return the defective one.

Again, in my opinion, if a retailer sells me a defective product, I fully expect that retailer to send me a new one, even if he has to take a loss which I'm sure wouldn't be that much. I'm talking one wedge that cost $55. Just write if off to keep a repeat customer happy and continue to get business from that customer in the future.

BINGO!

Due to such bad customer experience I've had with Flynn, I will stay away from their products and I will also warn others to stay away.

After many back and forth email exchanges, I walked away very frustrated at their stubbornness and unwillingness to budge.

I had a friend who returned an entire set of US Kids club due to sizing issue, without any questions.

I really wished for a better outcome and I strongly believe consumers benefit from more competitors.

LOL... I guess you are not in business. The wedge cost you $55.00. He probably made $16.00 on that wedge. He sends you a new one and loses about $36.00 with shipping included. If he has you send the other back he loses approximately another $13.00. He then lost $49.00 on a $55.00 sale. Not enough margins in it to even worry about losing the customer. Stop being lazy and just get it repaired.

Bad customer service is bad customer service. I would suggest dealing with someone you can see and product you can try in the future.

I will tell you a story. I bought a pair of SkullCandy Method Wireless earbuds. SkullCandy is a decent sized company as they are putting product in Best Buy and other retailers Earbuds cost me $50.00. They broke after 3 weeks of use. They stopped holding a charge. I had to pay $10.00 to UPS to have them shipped to Kentucky so they could look them over and send me a new pair. Inconvenient for me, but it is what i had to do to get a new pair.