Hybrids over Fairways??

Duffner's Waggle

I carry all 3: hybrid, fairway wood and driving iron. They all have their place and yardage gaps.

I think what it will come down to is how many long irons I want to carry or how many wedges.

If I carry 4-PW, no room at the top for the fwy wood. If I just go 5-PW, it leaves room for either an extra wedge (I'm a terrible wedge player) or the fairway wood. In that case I'd most likely go with the fairway, but I think I like the idea of the 4 iron better. Punch shots, long par 3s, long-ish approach shots, flighted shots from like 185 on windy days, etc.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my M1 hybrid 18* (turned down 1 deg), I only ever use it off the tee but my confidence in it is amazing.

I don't use a driver, I used to love my m2 3 wood but this little m1 hybrid just launches the ball with lovely height and amazing length.

I haven't properly measured how long I can hit it but its usually around 240-250 ish mark, but it just goes where I aim it.

Play what gives you confidence, yeah some guys on here will say you need a driver to

I love my M1 hybrid 18* (turned down 1 deg), I only ever use it off the tee but my confidence in it is amazing.

I don't use a driver, I used to love my m2 3 wood but this little m1 hybrid just launches the ball with lovely height and amazing length.

I haven't properly measured how long I can hit it but its usually around 240-250 ish mark, but it just goes where I aim it.

Play what gives you confidence, yeah some guys on here will say you need a driver to

I would normally be one saying you need a driver, and need to learn to hit it, but I saw a lesson from Monte online that talked about how AoA can positively impact club path and therefore ball striking, and it clicked and I realized I'm just significantly better with a downward strike than I am an upward driver swing.

Which M1 do you have? My buddy has the original m1 with the white on the bottom/back of the club and it is a freakin rocket launcher. He can hit it 240-250 from the deck if he really needs to. I've considered something like that, but honestly my Ping i25 with 100TX shaft is really pretty consistent. Probably a little shorter...more like 220-225/230, but that's about as far as I need to hit it anyways. Much longer than that and I'm not going to reach accurately anyways 7 or 8 times out of 10.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

DW,

Use whatever allows you to reach trajectory and distance goals, regardless of what club allows you to do so. During my time on Oahu, often carried two clubs at long end of bag of similar loft-an 18* five wood (V-steel w/ purple ice) and 19* 2 iron/utility (Tourstage X-drive w/Fuji 904hb) due to significant differences in carry yardage and trajectory required by conditions. See no reason why your proposed set-up wouldn't work for you.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I would normally be one saying you need a driver, and need to learn to hit it, but I saw a lesson from Monte online that talked about how AoA can positively impact club path and therefore ball striking, and it clicked and I realized I'm just significantly better with a downward strike than I am an upward driver swing.

Which M1 do you have? My buddy has the original m1 with the white on the bottom/back of the club and it is a freakin rocket launcher. He can hit it 240-250 from the deck if he really needs to. I've considered something like that, but honestly my Ping i25 with 100TX shaft is really pretty consistent. Probably a little shorter...more like 220-225/230, but that's about as far as I need to hit it anyways. Much longer than that and I'm not going to reach accurately anyways 7 or 8 times out of 10.

Yes I have the M1 hybrid (original) with no sliding weights. it has two weights that can be moved by the TORQ wrench. I love the club, I could probably learn to hit it off the deck but my home course only requires me to use it off the tee and leaves me short irons in for the approach or a wedge. Highly recommend it!

I wouldn't be surprised if I can hit mine 250-260 as that is what it usually equates to on most holes but thats not 100% accurate. I can hit some absolute bombs with it, and its even more fun with a tail wind.

DW,

Use whatever allows you to reach trajectory and distance goals, regardless of what club allows you to do so. During my time on Oahu, often carried two clubs at long end of bag of similar loft-an 18* five wood (V-steel w/ purple ice) and 19* 2 iron/utility (Tourstage X-drive w/Fuji 904hb) due to significant differences in carry yardage and trajectory required by conditions. See no reason why your proposed set-up wouldn't work for you.

Thanks, Mitchell! I'm just tryin to find something to get me into the short stuff. Once I'm there, most of the time I'm makin bogey at worst, and giving myself a handful of birdie looks per round. That's when golf gets FUN! I think having enough options at the top from the tee (rapture, driving iron, 19* hybrid) but also limiting myself makes me pick a few clubs and just learn to hit them. To play golf and not try to play golf swing. I'm honestly TRYING to get to a bag I can learn and keep the gear long enough to get familiar with it. You know how I struggle with loving the chase...

The secondary driving club has to be a fairway guarantor. If there's a discernible difference in how accurately you hit hybrids vs fairways, then pick the one that is more accurate. Hit those fairways off the tee! Your irons will thank you.

Like a certain GOAT at Bellerive, when I get the big dog in my hands on the tee, everything goes to crap. This Ping Rapture has been a revelation in the short time I've had it, and when I think about my history off the tee, fairway wood has been both good and bad. I still hit fwy wood really high and really far, leaving a lot of time and room to go way offline when hit poorly. The idea with the driving iron is that it begins to limit the damage on a poorly struck tee ball, but still affords me great position for approach shots when hit well.

Hybrids are more consistent for me than FW, BUT I also hit hybrid more often even before thinking about booting the fw wood from the bag, so I am more grooved with the hybrid. It's got a great shaft - KK silver proto 100 TX - in it too, which certainly helps. Between Rapture, UDI and 19* hybrid, I'd like to think I could find a decent tee option on any given day.

I’ve always had a problem finding fairways consistently from week to week. I currently had a 18.5 degree driving iron 21 degree HL 5 wood and a 21 degree hybrid in the bag. Typically the 3 iron is my go too off the tee with the hybrid mainly being used out of bad lies or rough to get back into play after an errant tee shot.

I used to use my hybrid off the tee as a fairway finder but like I said earlier it depends on how I’m striking the club preround that determines what and how use the club off the tee when the driver fails me. I can defiantly say that out of the 3 clubs there hybrid has been the most consistent off the tee for finding fairways and getting yourself into play.

Yes i agree, from the tee my hybrid can sometimes roll up to my 3 wood and say "good date mate" lololol.

TAY; 7.5* SIM  SPEEDER 57  S.  (44 3/4")

TTL; 13.5* TSI 2 DIA BLU 70 S.  (42 7/8")

SRZ; 18* 85 U STEELFIBER 95I S. ( 39 3/4")

Cal; 4/5i EPIC, 6i-7i MVRK PR, 8i-PW MB  

Cal; 52* X FRG STK W. 
Cal;  ODYSSEY W B/W 

Well boys..... never one to just talk about it...gotta be about it.

Almost every extra I have is sold except for the Ping iE1s I have on the BST, and I have 2 Taylormade M1 hbyrids inbound. a 17* and a 21*.

It's about to be a shootout between the driving iron, and the 17 hybrid turned down to 15 or 16 and then hoping the 21* which is Tour Issue and actually 20.6* will be turned down to 18.6.

Driver, Hybrid/DI, Hybrid, 4i.

Who am I?? Fairway woods were once my life. Now I don't even want to be around them.

19 degree hybrid all the way (and for some chipping as well...)

Love it. Tryin to incorporate more hybrid chips into my game

Well boys..... never one to just talk about it...gotta be about it.

Almost every extra I have is sold except for the Ping iE1s I have on the BST, and I have 2 Taylormade M1 hbyrids inbound. a 17* and a 21*.

It's about to be a shootout between the driving iron, and the 17 hybrid turned down to 15 or 16 and then hoping the 21* which is Tour Issue and actually 20.6* will be turned down to 18.6.

Driver, Hybrid/DI, Hybrid, 4i.

Who am I?? Fairway woods were once my life. Now I don't even want to be around them.

Another way to look at it is the 3 wood got big-headed, challenged the big dog to a fight and bumped the driver right out of its spot.

Played Hybrid as my main club in an early morning slog of a round today and it went pretty well. Kept me in play. Wasn't super long, but I was purposely trying not to overswing, and it was wet and sloppy, so almost no roll and contact was good not great.

Anxious to get the new M1 hybrids in and see how it goes.

I just started a thread myself about trying to figure out a very similar issue. The tee's I play with most guys locally are pretty short and my score got much better using a driving iron. But then I moved to the back tee's and started using driver/3w off the tee mostly (I love my 3 wood). So now I'm trying to decide if I don't use the p790 off the tee a lot if its worth staying in the bag or replacing with a hybrid. I'm thinking (Titleist) hybrid for the back tees and keeping the driving iron for when I'm playing the shorter tees.

It's all about working the short grass and getting around the hazards. After that the game gets much easier. I'd definitely like to hear how you like using the hybrids off the tee during a round compared to the p790. Good luck.

I just started a thread myself about trying to figure out a very similar issue. The tee's I play with most guys locally are pretty short and my score got much better using a driving iron. But then I moved to the back tee's and started using driver/3w off the tee mostly (I love my 3 wood). So now I'm trying to decide if I don't use the p790 off the tee a lot if its worth staying in the bag or replacing with a hybrid. I'm thinking (Titleist) hybrid for the back tees and keeping the driving iron for when I'm playing the shorter tees.

It's all about working the short grass and getting around the hazards. After that the game gets much easier. I'd definitely like to hear how you like using the hybrids off the tee during a round compared to the p790. Good luck.

Yea this morning was not a good sample to reference. I wasnt swingin great and conditions sucked but played about 6,700 yds and hit my "thriver" abt 5 times, driving iron abt 9 times. Driving iron was not as automatic as I'd have liked today, but nothing was. Waw overcookin stuff all day. I'll say this: I'm around a 12 or 13 cap, with plenty of length, and probably average to below average ballstriking tbh. The thing abt the driving iron that I love is, even bad swings rarely get me into serious trouble.

I was left off the fairway a few times today but never OB or hazard. With driver in hand, I probably give back 2-3 strokes per round due to penalties or punch outs.

I'm anxious to see what the hybrids are like from the tee as well. Think I mentioned this earlier, but hit my buddy's M1 19* hybrid on a golf trip last month and was carryin it 235-240. With the 17* I've got comin, it could be scary long and with the right shaft, if it's straight....driving iron could get the boot.

I'm yet to play the DI in decent conditionals, so hard for me to put real world data behind it, but seems like its goin abt 235-240 and generally in the direction I'm aiming, with a slight draw. Not a bad club to have in the bag.

Will add more when the hybrids arrive. One has a Nunchuk shaft which I am REALLY curious about!

This is something I’ve been flirting with that past while. I used to bag a 5w and it was pretty dang reliable.

Then I fell in love with driving irons. The problem is that I’m weird with them...I hit my 2i better off the ground for a 2nd shot than I do off the tee.

That driving iron inconsistency led me (back) to trying a 2 hybrid. Historically I was one of those guys that hooked a hybrid but I’ve sorted that out. Yet it’s shorter off the tee than my 2i (on a good strike with the iron, mind you). The hybrid performs great...it just doesn’t get me excited. The consistency is hard to deny but I wonder if putting the same shaft in my 2i would even the playing field.

Yet I’m back to going back to the ol’ reliable setup and getting another 5w.

Ping G410 Plus 9* Driver w/ Graphite Design AD-DI7x

Ping G410 LST 14.5* 3 wood w/ Graphite Design AD-DI8x
Taylormade p790 UDI 2 iron w/ DG AMT x100
Mizuno JPX919 Tour 4-PW w/ PX 6.5
Vokey SM7 50/8, 55/9 & 60/8* w/ PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 33"

Titleist ProV1 (yellow)

This is something I’ve been flirting with that past while. I used to bag a 5w and it was pretty dang reliable.

Then I fell in love with driving irons. The problem is that I’m weird with them...I hit my 2i better off the ground for a 2nd shot than I do off the tee.

That driving iron inconsistency led me (back) to trying a 2 hybrid. Historically I was one of those guys that hooked a hybrid but I’ve sorted that out. Yet it’s shorter off the tee than my 2i (on a good strike with the iron, mind you). The hybrid performs great...it just doesn’t get me excited. The consistency is hard to deny but I wonder if putting the same shaft in my 2i would even the playing field.

Yet I’m back to going back to the ol’ reliable setup and getting another 5w.

I think in an ideal world I'd go driver/thriver, 2 UDI OR 2 Hybrid, 5HL (21*) and then into my irons.

But I'm goin to experiment with driver/thriver, 2 hybrid(17 turned to 16), 3+ hybrid (20.5* turned to 21.5) then into 4i.

That 2hyb spot has to be 230 and straight or its not even an option, because I coukd spend hours grooving a 2i swing until its second nature but the versatility of the hybrid off the deck on approach shots is appealing.

I used to, but then I learned how to properly hit my 3 wood and it really is a valuable club in more than one instance on the course. I wouldnt have a bag without one, now. I still use a 3 hybrid between my 3W and 4i but its my only one, now.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS