2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Youth is wasted on the young: Lexi Thompson edition

Spirit76

Lexi Thompson recently skipped a major. The Women's British Open. Her reasons included 'wanting to find out who I am off the golf course' and 'needing to recharge my emotions'.

I have yet to see one critical reaction from the media yet reaction would be swift if such excuses came from a player on the PGA Tour. It's a MASSIVE double standard.

Thing about Bryson DeChambeau saying he would be skipping The Masters because "I need to find out who I am' or Phil saying he was skipping the U.S. Open because, 'I have not truly felt like myself for quite some time'.

Yet those were quotes from Lexi Thompson explaining why she withdrew.

The media went out of their way to offer possible additional explanations (including the silly 4-stroke penalty she received LAST YEAR) to further coddle and offer support to the star player.

'Work/Life balance' is vastly overrated. It is an especially ridiculous (and impossible) concept for an elite athlete, yet it seems to be what Lexi Thompson is striving for. Personally, I think the answer is bigger goals, you know, like Patti Berg's 15 majors. (Lexi has 1). Without inspirational goals everything can become a miserable grind.

My guess is that motivation is lacking and that CAN come from a lack of proper goals. However, there might be something off with her off-course regimen as well, or the people on her team. A pushy agent would get on anyone's nerves. If you have the wrong people on your team and are reluctant to make changes, well, the result is inevitable. Note to Lexi: I'm not suggesting you fire your caddie every three months like Lydia Ko, but if the team needs some 'rearranging', be ruthless.

Additional note to Lexi: You mentioned in a recent article that you want to find out who you are off the golf course. It's very simple. Who you are off the golf course is Lexi Thompson, superstar player on the LPGA. You could be someone else if you really want, like a soccer mom, but being anyone else would require hanging up the sticks.

We would miss you.

Play well this week.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you going see trend of "good" young golfers decide after a few good seasons that they dont wanna do this golf thing anymore and just play to make cuts and a paycheck. Maybe im out of my mind but it would suprise me

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Whatever, it's her life. Some people find things more important than work and money. Adam Scott, Rickie Fowler, Rory, Lexi, etc, etc. These guys and gals could tear their guts out and grind for 20 years and rack up a few more wins but for what? The accolades of strangers? People you'll never meet will think you had a better career? No one is going to care in 50 years, she'll be a footnote in some record book, more likely as soon as she retires.

simple ...

She was tipped off about a "random" drug screen. They cant test you if you're not there. (steroids)

or

Can't leave the country while out on bond (for steroid possession)

or

In the middle of a (steroid) cycle and can't risk customs confiscating the medicines (steroids).

or

She's busy crushing cars and breaking tree limbs with her bare hands. (Roid Rage, from steroids)

or

Steroids

R9 460 10.5 L flex 46"

COBRA Baffler XL 17* FW
COBRA Baffler XL 22* 25* 28* hybrids
Hand ground Bazooka QLS 7-PW

Component Wedges 50* 54* 60* 63*
(hand grinds) torched 

Heavy Putter B2m 38" Ust FF shaft
Rife Switchback XL (custom long neck) 34" UST FF 

Lee Trevino skipped the Masters for years. Said the golf course didn't suit his game.

Not a big deal

Greg

Three years he skipped it. And said later he regretted it. He did play it 20 timmes

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Its just a game and now she can feed herself for 10 lifetimes so its really just a game now.... ever thought it might not be the most fulfilling thing to hit a plastic ball around all day like a circus monkey.

When I was young 20+ years ago I worked at a nice course on track to play pro ball....then I realized all the time/effort put into hitting a little ball so now I help kids with disabilities and play scratch golf for fun with my friends

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Blah blah blah blah... topless photo of Lexi.

Fantastic OP. Point well made.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Speaking of double standards, I have yet to read such passionate opinions on young entrepreneurs who sell their companies to bigger companies and then take years off before getting into VC. We don't seem to think they "owe" us more ideas or "lack drive"

We romanticize athletes because we wish we were in their position, and we want them to be the way we "would be" if we were in their position. However we are usually wrong about ourselves and what we would really be. The anger directed at the athlete is probably because we actually know that too and are in denial about it.

Athletes are just like us. Sometimes they get tired of their jobs. Anyone who works in a office sees this 100 times a day. Including from executive level positions

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

simple ...

She was tipped off about a "random" drug screen. They cant test you if you're not there. (steroids)

or

Can't leave the country while out on bond (for steroid possession)

or

In the middle of a (steroid) cycle and can't risk customs confiscating the medicines (steroids).

or

She's busy crushing cars and breaking tree limbs with her bare hands. (Roid Rage, from steroids)

or

Steroids

Or

tired of being Big Corps tool. Maybe she just wants to play golf on her schedule?

Message to Lexi: Do whatever you have to do to make you feel good about yourself. There are a lot of people out here who have great respect to you. Just please, don't go down the topless photo rabbit hole. The world is a lot better place when athletes like yourself are whacking the living jesus out of golf balls and winning tournaments rather than decorating magazine covers with pictures photoshopped to the edge of recognition and showing as much skin as the mag gets away with.

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

Sorry, no sympathy from this old in his late 60's who, along with his wife worked 40+ 8-5 and dealt with parents who had cancer and alzheimer/dementia. And raised 2 kids as well.

Boo hoo, it's life. Give me a f****** break, Lexi. Grow up. You don't and haven't had it tough at all compared to a lot of people.

Sorry, no sympathy from this old in his late 60's who, along with his wife worked 40+ 8-5 and dealt with parents who had cancer and alzheimer/dementia. And raised 2 kids as well.

Boo hoo, it's life. Give me a f****** break, Lexi. Grow up. You don't and haven't had it tough at all compared to a lot of people.

"I'm jealous that a woman 40 years younger than me can do what she wants to do with her life".

"I'm jealous that a woman 40 years younger than me can do what she wants to do with her life".

Not even close. But nice try.

It's not a competition of whose life is more difficult, unless you make it one in your head, though. Did she say she had a tough life and that's why she couldn't play?

Again, why does someone with the money to take time off bother someone when they do so?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

You never took a vacation from your job? Ever?

I'm still guessing it's a family matter and none of our biz.

Mtljeff mailed it imo.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

You never took a vacation from your job? Ever?

I'm still guessing it's a family matter and none of our biz.

Mtljeff mailed it imo.

Saw Lexi at demo day at the PGA Merchandise Show a few years ago putting on a clinic. Instantly became a huge fan and still am. Defending her mightily on this site during the ANA fiasco and still would defend her and still will pull for her more than any other player in any LPGA tournament.

I just think she's mentally weak.

The OP stated work/life balance is overrated...

Okay. I wonder if you would think that on your deathbed.... I get the exact opposite advice to that from every octogenarian plus patient I treat.

Let's be clear golf is a solo sport, no guaranteed salaries, played by independent contractors. The only person she needs to please is herself (since she is single without kids). She could skip it because she wants to get drunk on a beach in Bali for a week and it wouldn't bother me one bit. Not sure why people living their own lives and making their own decisions bothers some people so much. I would guess it has something to do with a lack of self actualization on the part of those who are observing.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

I like Lexi I wish her well and look forward to watching her compete. Her personal life and her decisions off the course are really none of our business.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Lee Trevino skipped the Masters for years. Said the golf course didn't suit his game.

Not a big deal

Greg

Three years he skipped it. And said later he regretted it. He did play it 20 timmes

Cliff Roberts-era Masters wasn't all that welcoming to certain types of golfers. The ones he skipped were on the early side of his career.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x