Mizuno Recommendations

Shifty242

For the last four years, I have been playing with Taylor Made RocketBladez game improvement irons. I recently did a full bag fitting at Club Champions and learned that it might be worth switching to blades. I hit several brands, but really enjoyed the feel of the Mizunos. (Unfortunately, I don't remember which model I hit.) I am a 9 handicap, but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $1200 on a new set of blades and play them 100% of the time. But I am interested in getting a used set and practicing with them and then, as I'm ready, blending them into my bag.

Can you recommend a good Mizuno iron set to consider?

Thank you!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good choices out there. I’m a 10 and have played MP4s for the last 3 years (was a 12)...they are a lot more playable than most people think. They really add to the enjoyment of the game for me.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Especially if you like a smaller blade, MP4 is a great choice.

MP5 will be a larger blade.

I’ve recently just got the MP18 and just can’t get over how good looking they are.

My back up and range irons are the 900 Tours which are proven irons at a price drop right now.

Lots of good choices out there. I’m a 10 and have played MP4s for the last 3 years (was a 12)...they are a lot more playable than most people think. They really add to the enjoyment of the game for me.

What is your price point? MP-53 or MP-54s might be good transition forged irons to a true blade and used sets in decent condition can be relatively inexpensive.

What shaft did you play in the Rocketbladez - the 85 gram steel shafts? What shafts did you hit well during your fitting?

Combo set MP18 blade and MP18 SC would be unreal. I've been playing the MP54 irons since they've been released and absolutely love them.

Thanks for the response!

I wish I could remember if the mp-18s were what I hit at CC. I like your idea, but not sure I'm ready to spend that much on a new set just yet. Are the mp-54s cavity backs?

Thanks for chiming in. What do you like most about the mp4s and what were you playing before? I like your comment about "adding to the enjoyment of the game." That's my main goal as well.

Especially if you like a smaller blade, MP4 is a great choice.

MP5 will be a larger blade.

I've recently just got the MP18 and just can't get over how good looking they are.

My back up and range irons are the 900 Tours which are proven irons at a price drop right now.

Lots of good choices out there. I'm a 10 and have played MP4s for the last 3 years (was a 12)...they are a lot more playable than most people think. They really add to the enjoyment of the game for me.

Not sure if I like a small blade or not yet. I played Mizuno t-zoids in the 90s and now the TM RocketBs. Am curious to see how the transition to a smaller blade will affect my game. I also agree with you that the mp18s look great. I've always loved their look. Will look into the 900 tours. Not too familiar with them.

What is your price point? MP-53 or MP-54s might be good transition forged irons to a true blade and used sets in decent condition can be relatively inexpensive.

What shaft did you play in the Rocketbladez - the 85 gram steel shafts? What shafts did you hit well during your fitting?

If I can find something in great shape for less than $500, that would be ideal. Thanks for the response and thats another vote for the mp54s. Yes, I play the 85 gram steel shafts on my current set. THe shaft that works best for me in the fiting was the Nippon 950GH stiff taper. If the cost is reasonable, any new irons I get will be paired with them.

If you did your fittng at CC, there is no reason you cannot call the fitter and ask which shaft and head combo you hit. More than the head, it would be good to know what shaft it was, so that you can get something similar.

Great point and I just emailed the fitter I worked with. The shaft is the Nippon 950GH stiff taper...

The 950GH was a standard offering for some of their lines in the last few years, I'm pretty sure it was on the MP-54 and MP-H5s without looking. The H5 is going to be more chunky/hefty for a players iron, but the 54s are pretty well regarded overall, even though you'll get people that say they're not as good as 53s. You could find these with that shaft in great shape for $300-400ish I believe...maybe less.

Bottom line is I don't think you can go wrong with Mizuno across many of their models. Your best bet is to establish a budget and let the price dictate which series you look at specifically, then go hit them somewhere if you can, or just buy them blindly.

Agree that it is difficult to go wrong with any of the Mizzy MP irons or the recent (900) JPX line. Some of the older JPX EZ are not that good in my view.

If you had the fitting recently, then most likely they had you try out the MP18 line (blade, SC or MMC) and the JPX 900 line (probably Tour and Forged). There are some very good used sets to be had at a decent price on BST, eBay, 2nd swing, etc. But as many have said here, hard to go wrong with any of the MP line going back a few years.

Thanks for chiming in. What do you like most about the mp4s and what were you playing before? I like your comment about "adding to the enjoyment of the game." That's my main goal as well.

I was playing Nike Split Cavities which I really liked. Only issue I had with them was controlling ball flight...I hit moon balls to start with and the Nikes really used to launch. The MP4s are much easier to control the flight, but the best thing about them is distance control. On slight mishits, they always seem to fly pin high. Most of the trouble at my home course is short or long and you can generally get away with shots that are just offline but the right distance.

The feel is not the “butter” that Mizuno is famed for, to me anyways, but rather a very solid ‘thunk’ that really is addictive. Just typing this is making me want to go and hit one!!

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

The 950GH was a standard offering for some of their lines in the last few years, I'm pretty sure it was on the MP-54 and MP-H5s without looking. The H5 is going to be more chunky/hefty for a players iron, but the 54s are pretty well regarded overall, even though you'll get people that say they're not as good as 53s. You could find these with that shaft in great shape for $300-400ish I believe...maybe less.

Bottom line is I don't think you can go wrong with Mizuno across many of their models. Your best bet is to establish a budget and let the price dictate which series you look at specifically, then go hit them somewhere if you can, or just buy them blindly.

Thanks DDR. I'm pleasantly surprised to know they make an iron set that comes with the shafts I need/want.

I am a 9 handicap and play the JPX 900 forged with the Project X LZ. I love them. They are not blades but boy have they changed my game for the positive. They have all the buttery feel, I can still work the ball and add some forgiveness. If your not ready to dive into blade then the JPX 900 tours with a blend into the forged would be awesome irons for a love time to come. Can be found on the BST forum right now for reasonable prices (especially the 900 tours).

Like many have said, mizuno clubs are legendary for a reason and consistently get readers choice awards on WRX.

Since the OP was specifically asking about USED clubs, the MP-4s, MP-5s would both be really great options to try out.

Frankly, any Mizuno blade from the past 10-15 years would be awesome - so that opens a lot of opportunities at not too much money. There just isn't that much "tech" that has changed in blades where you'd be missing out on anything by going with something older. They all are sweet to look at and all offer that super great feel when struck well.

For a pure blade I'd look at the MP-67 to MP-69 range as they're a little bit older so way cheaper than the newer models but will still give you a feel for whether you like the Mizuno forged blade feel (spoiler alert: you will). If you're looking for an intermediate option then MP-53/MP-54 would be a great choice as they have a little more help which you will appreciate in the long irons - I personally don't have the swing speed for my MP-68 4 iron (apart from a stinger off the tee) so I've swapped it out for a 4H.

I was in the similar position. I picked up a set of MP 57 for $200 on eBay that was in decent shape with the right shafts. It’s a classic Mizuno cavity that is bigger than a small blade but feel just as good. I had them bent to the more modern MP 18 lofts. After one round I kicked my Taylormade speedblades to the curb. I dropped back a club on distance but realized that doesn’t matter in the slightest. As a plus, the short irons are much easier to chip with around the green.

This guy posted these heads on the classifieds today. Don’t know him but it looks like a really good deal.

MP 64 3-P

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1681168-MP-64-3-P-heads

Taylormade SIM
Titleist TS2 15
Titleist 818 H1 19
Mizuno HM Pro 5-AW
Callaway PM 54 and 58
Odyssey #1

IMO you can pretty much safely pick almost any MP iron and you will be fine. The exception might be the models with Titanium forged into them, not because they perform poorly but because they feel a little different.

If you widen the net then the chances of finding a set with the NS Pro 950 S, which has been a Mizuno option for years, will be increased, although the combination is one of the less frequent custom orders. In the more recent models the Modus 105 might be a shaft option you can live with, occasionally Mizuno irons show up with Shimada shafts, the Constant and the slightly heavier Tour Lite are pretty close to the NS Pro 950.

MP-5's are a fairly forgiving bladed iron and they can be had now for a really good price in good condition. If they had added a sliver of weight around the toe and heel, they'd pretty much be a cavity back.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x