2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Atlanta Golf! Must play golf courses

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd hold off on joining a club unless you already know people in the club and like them. You'll have to be here a little while to get the lay of the land and the traffic. You can find areas where you travel predominantly against traffic, depending of course on where you need to go. Dunwoody might not be a bad choice.

I played out at the Frog for several years shortly after it opened. It was a bit far but was a very nice Fazio design. Not sure what the maintenance is these days. There are plenty of courses on the public list to keep you occupied until you sort out what's available.

By the way, Clubcorp is a large collection of clubs that acquired Sequoya Golf that owned Canongate both of which owned a bunch of courses around Atlanta. If you join you get access to all the clubs. Depending on which club you join and which plan you choose, your monthly fees vary. The fancier the club the more you pay. You can see their website without being a member.

So, I just played Cobblestone for the first time! What an amazing layout, if only the conditions were halfway decent. So frustrating, it could be an awesome golf course but had bare spots in the fairways, damaged tee boxes and inconsistent rough. The greens were quick and rolled true though. The only course condition bright spot. If only they could clean it up a bit. I feel there is so much potential down here. It’s got to be frustrating for public golfers in the Atlanta area.

So, I just played Cobblestone for the first time! What an amazing layout, if only the conditions were halfway decent. So frustrating, it could be an awesome golf course but had bare spots in the fairways, damaged tee boxes and inconsistent rough. The greens were quick and rolled true though. The only course condition bright spot. If only they could clean it up a bit. I feel there is so much potential down here. It’s got to be frustrating for public golfers in the Atlanta area.

It’s always been that way.

Their greens are the most disappointing of all aspects.

GTgolf, I didn’t think the greens were that bad honestly. The rolled well. Everything else though, yikes. Actually the bunkers were in good shape. The Midwest gets a lot of rocks and hard pan in bunkers. The sand was nice at cobblestone.

Middle of the summer with Bermuda is the best it’ll be. Try playing there the other half of the year. Meh.

GTgolf, that sucks. I didn’t know that, but if that’s the case then I’m disappointed in the greens. I just played river pines today. Everything was in decent shape except the greens were a bit patchy and bumpy. I think they have bent greens so that would make sense. They are also still recovering from aeration I believe. The layout on the other hand was eh... pretty boring. A few interesting par 4s that made you think. If cobblestone was maintained as well as river pines I’d be extremely happy to play there.

I’m slowly knocking out each public course on the north side of Atlanta. I’d give cobblestone 3 stars and riverpines 3 1/2.

GTgolf, that sucks. I didn’t know that, but if that’s the case then I’m disappointed in the greens. I just played river pines today. Everything was in decent shape except the greens were a bit patchy and bumpy. I think they have bent greens so that would make sense. They are also still recovering from aeration I believe. The layout on the other hand was eh... pretty boring. A few interesting par 4s that made you think. If cobblestone was maintained as well as river pines I’d be extremely happy to play there.

I’m slowly knocking out each public course on the north side of Atlanta. I’d give cobblestone 3 stars and riverpines 3 1/2.

The amount of traffic at river pines absolutely kills those bent greens. I like the track ok. Shot makers course. Too many forced layups. However it will definitely sharpen your iron game.

Try Bridgemill, Bradshaw, echelon, Govenors club, crystal falls, Hampton, Chicopee, Chestatee, achasta

I'd hold off on joining a club unless you already know people in the club and like them. You'll have to be here a little while to get the lay of the land and the traffic. You can find areas where you travel predominantly against traffic, depending of course on where you need to go. Dunwoody might not be a bad choice.

I played out at the Frog for several years shortly after it opened. It was a bit far but was a very nice Fazio design. Not sure what the maintenance is these days. There are plenty of courses on the public list to keep you occupied until you sort out what's available.

By the way, Clubcorp is a large collection of clubs that acquired Sequoya Golf that owned Canongate both of which owned a bunch of courses around Atlanta. If you join you get access to all the clubs. Depending on which club you join and which plan you choose, your monthly fees vary. The fancier the club the more you pay. You can see their website without being a member.

Played The Frog about 2 weeks ago...I must say I was expecting the greens to be suffering with the heat we've had the last month...maybe not as fast as they normally are according to the members I played with, but in good shape...in fact everything but the bunkers were in good condition...a few bunkers were lacking sand.

I played Bears Best yesterday and I must say, it played like the premium golf course it's marketed to be. That hasn't always been the case as it gets a lot of "Player Development Program" traffic and hot summer conditions take a toll on the greens. They rolled smooth with nice holing pace...reportedly running about a 10. Fairways, and tees were in great shape...bunkers a tad thin on sand but very playable.

Ideal Golfer price made it a bargain.

I just spent a night at the Legacy Lodge at Lake Lanier Village, and got a few looks at the Legacy course there. I didn't get out on the course, but it looks to be in prime condition tee to green. They were actually closed for a few days this week having punched their greens. The few greens I saw weren't sanded and looked very nice.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

• 2 weeks later...

I was down in Atlanta this past weekend visiting my parents with my 2 boys. We played Atlanta Country Club and Cherokee Country Club (North Course) while we were there. I was really impressed with both clubs and courses. I live in Indiana, so we don't really see courses with the topography and elevation changes that both these courses possess. They were both in excellent condition and a lot of fun to play. If I had to choose, I would say that I found Cherokee's North Course slightly more appealing to my eye over the ACC course. I am really impressed with the quality of courses/clubs in Atlanta.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I was down in Atlanta this past weekend visiting my parents with my 2 boys. We played Atlanta Country Club and Cherokee Country Club (North Course) while we were there. I was really impressed with both clubs and courses. I live in Indiana, so we don't really see courses with the topography and elevation changes that both these courses possess. They were both in excellent condition and a lot of fun to play. If I had to choose, I would say that I found Cherokee's North Course slightly more appealing to my eye over the ACC course. I am really impressed with the quality of courses/clubs in Atlanta.

Well sure, you just played 2 of the top 5 clubs in Atlanta.

• 3 weeks later...

As an Atlantan that's pretty new to this forum, I couldn't help but search 'Atlanta' and see what others had to say about the courses here.

Regarding all the negativity about the public courses, I would say our public courses aren't bad at all. I rather enjoy Chastain and Browns Mill (highly underrated in my opinion). I'm fortunate enough to be able to play Peachtree and Capital City somewhat regularly thanks to family, and while the public courses don't come close to those in terms of quality, the doom and gloom here is over exaggerated. I agree that the traffic here makes getting to/from certain courses a pain, and that they can get crowded on the the weekends, but honestly they're all fine courses (except Alfred Tup Holmes, f*** that place). Sure they aren't 'must play' public courses, but there are plenty of good public offerings for reasonable prices around the city.

As an Atlantan that's pretty new to this forum, I couldn't help but search 'Atlanta' and see what others had to say about the courses here.

Regarding all the negativity about the public courses, I would say our public courses aren't bad at all. I rather enjoy Chastain and Browns Mill (highly underrated in my opinion). I'm fortunate enough to be able to play Peachtree and Capital City somewhat regularly thanks to family, and while the public courses don't come close to those in terms of quality, the doom and gloom here is over exaggerated. I agree that the traffic here makes getting to/from certain courses a pain, and that they can get crowded on the the weekends, but honestly they're all fine courses (except Alfred Tup Holmes, f*** that place). Sure they aren't 'must play' public courses, but there are plenty of good public offerings for reasonable prices around the city.

I agree. Chastain is a fantastic course and if it was private would be considered one of the best in the City. Browns Mill also has quite a bit of potential and is a great value. I was very skeptical when the city took over management of the municiple courses, but so far they have done an impressive job. Even Candler Park has been playing well, and if they could control the beaver damage, could become Atlanta's Winter Park or Goat Hill.

I'm curious to hear people's opinion on this question... What Atlanta private course and what Atlanta public course do you think has the fewest rounds played? (excluding Peachtree GC of course)

Private course? Hard to say since a big reason people join country clubs in the first place is to have a nice course to play. I haven't played PDC but considering so many people refer to it as more of a social club than a golf club I would guess that.

For a public course, I would probably guess Alfred Tup Holmes simply because the course is god awful. Last time I played it I was hitting off crab grass in the fairway...

I'm curious to hear people's opinion on this question... What Atlanta private course and what Atlanta public course do you think has the fewest rounds played? (excluding Peachtree GC of course)

Private course? Hard to say since a big reason people join country clubs in the first place is to have a nice course to play. I haven't played PDC but considering so many people refer to it as more of a social club than a golf club I would guess that.

For a public course, I would probably guess Alfred Tup Holmes simply because the course is god awful. Last time I played it I was hitting off crab grass in the fairway...

I would probably say PDC as well for the private courses.

I would probably say PDC as well for the private courses.

Ever been to Capital city crabapple?

Every time I play, there’s no more than 10 cars in the lot.

I agree. Chastain is a fantastic course and if it was private would be considered one of the best in the City. Browns Mill also has quite a bit of potential and is a great value. I was very skeptical when the city took over management of the municiple courses, but so far they have done an impressive job. Even Candler Park has been playing well, and if they could control the beaver damage, could become Atlanta's Winter Park or Goat Hill.

I hope you guys have body guards with you.

I just spent a night at the Legacy Lodge at Lake Lanier Village, and got a few looks at the Legacy course there. I didn't get out on the course, but it looks to be in prime condition tee to green. They were actually closed for a few days this week having punched their greens. The few greens I saw weren't sanded and looked very nice.

That course has beautiful views, but is absolute misery to play. Course is built on maybe 60% of the land necessary, it's so narrow they have no choice but to make the rough super long to stop shots barely offline from either going in the lake or going in the woods. The funny thing is the rough is so long you basically have to step on the ball to find it.

I hope you guys have body guards with you.

Assuming you're referring to Browns Mill, it's really not bad in terms of safety. Sure it's in a not-so-great neighborhood, but I work down by the airport and have the forepass so I go there to hit balls and walk 9 after work for free. Even leaving the course at 8:40, it's fine. I've heard bad stories for years ago but it doesn't seem to be an issue lately.

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Atlanta for 8 years and I will say that the public golf scene is far better than any of the 3 cities I have lived in - NYC and Cincinnati being the other 2 - not exactly golfing meccas. We were right by Emory and pretty much had a 45-60 minute drive anywhere outside the perimeter. For several years, I was a Canongate member (now Club Corp) and perhaps my best memories of golf were at River Forest. My usual haunts were Stone Mountain, Browns Mill, Wolf Creek and Smoke Rise, mainly for proximity, but all solid tracks in their own right for being public access. Then, there were at least 20-30 options for other courses if not more. If time allowed, we would drive to Reunion, Legacy at Lanier, Crystal Lake, Echelon, etc., etc. For me, learning to play golf on the likes of Clearview, Pelham/Split Rock, Van Cortland and other NYC munis, the golf scene in Atlanta was heaven. Cincinnati leaves a lot to be desired as well. I, for one, never took the variety and options for granted and miss the golf scene there - but definitely not the traffic.