2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

One Ball Rule and Colored Balls

That is a good question.

Rules of Golf, p. 156 says that the ball must be of same brand and model. However, this CoC refers to the list of conforming balls. I would presume that if a white and a yellow ProV1 are distinguished on that list they need to be treated as different models.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Nevertheless, a good question.

P.S. If I had the power to rule it, I would ignore the color.

QEight already answered both questions but here's a slightly more elaborate answer:

The Rules are very clear (at least in the form the R&A and the USGA recommends them to be written):

During a stipulated round, the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and model as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.

And here's a link to a list of conforming balls. It is obvious same balls in different colours are entered separately.

• Like 1

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

• 2 weeks later...

That is a good question.

Rules of Golf, p. 156 says that the ball must be of same brand and model. However, this CoC refers to the list of conforming balls. I would presume that if a white and a yellow ProV1 are distinguished on that list they need to be treated as different models.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Nevertheless, a good question.

P.S. If I had the power to rule it, I would ignore the color.

If I had the power to rule, there would be no One Ball rule. Just like in the President's Cup.

If I had the power to rule, there would be no One Ball rule. Just like in the President's Cup.

And very rarely there is.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

First, this is a great question and it also inspired me to go look at the conforming ball list for the Call Truvis.

There are different color patterns of the Chrome Soft X one being white and blue, another white and red. It doesn't appear on the conforming ball list to have anything other than the predominant color of either white or yellow. So is it OK to play 1 hole with the Chrome Soft X in white and red and the next hole with a Chrome Soft X white and blue? Or...is that basically considered a logo on the ball?

Hey, it's Friday, long weekend coming, thinking more about golf than anything, sorry.

Dave, it is ok.

Should someone to challenge the conformity of the ball you are playing it is the responsibility of that person to prove that your ball is non-conforming. The fact that a ball does not appear on the List of Conforming Balls does not automatically render such a ball non-conforming.

P.S. Have a good round tomorrow! I will be refereeing as a walking referee so I am only enjoying of good strokes of others...

First, this is a great question and it also inspired me to go look at the conforming ball list for the Call Truvis.

There are different color patterns of the Chrome Soft X one being white and blue, another white and red. It doesn't appear on the conforming ball list to have anything other than the predominant color of either white or yellow. So is it OK to play 1 hole with the Chrome Soft X in white and red and the next hole with a Chrome Soft X white and blue? Or...is that basically considered a logo on the ball?

Hey, it's Friday, long weekend coming, thinking more about golf than anything, sorry.

That's an interesting question. which got even more interesting when I noticed there's a ball for Ryo Ishikawa listed separately but no Truvis balls. The R&A site says, "The Conforming Ball List identifies the models of all golf balls that have been submitted for evaluation to either The R&A or the United States Golf Association in the previous 12 months."

There's also a FAQ on the linked page, which also explains things further. I couldn't find older lists in my quick search, so I guess you'd be stuck with contacting Callaway, the USGA or the R&A to confirm how the Truvis balls are handled. Considering Callaway seems to make special edition Truvises (plural?) fairly regularly, I find it odd there's none on the latest list.

Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

That's an interesting question. which got even more interesting when I noticed there's a ball for Ryo Ishikawa listed separately but no Truvis balls. The R&A site says, "The Conforming Ball List identifies the models of all golf balls that have been submitted for evaluation to either The R&A or the United States Golf Association in the previous 12 months."

There's also a FAQ on the linked page, which also explains things further. I couldn't find older lists in my quick search, so I guess you'd be stuck with contacting Callaway, the USGA or the R&A to confirm how the Truvis balls are handled. Considering Callaway seems to make special edition Truvises (plural?) fairly regularly, I find it odd, there's none on the latest list.

I think they are on the list under Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X and the Truvis is a visual pattern, a golf term I just made up. Of course this is never going to come up...

Dave, it is ok.

Should someone to challenge the conformity of the ball you are playing it is the responsibility of that person to prove that your ball is non-conforming. The fact that a ball does not appear on the List of Conforming Balls does not automatically render such a ball non-conforming.

P.S. Have a good round tomorrow! I will be refereeing as a walking referee so I am only enjoying of good strokes of others...

Thanks MB. What kind of competition are you a referee in tomorrow?

Based on another thread, I'm quite sure he's here:

https://www.randa.org/News/2018/08/Three-point-lead-for-GBandI

Dave, it is ok.

It is Jacques Leglise Trophy. Great Britain & Ireland vs. Continent of Europe, boys under 18 years, i.e. best in their class. Sort of a Ryder Cup with team and single matches. Today (Friday) was the 1st day and tomorrow is the 2nd.

Today I had a full 18-hole singles match and it was cool to see how these talented youngsters play and hit the ball. Tomorrow another one, looking forward to it.

I think they are on the list under Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X and the Truvis is a visual pattern, a golf term I just made up. Of course this is never going to come up...

I can't remember where I saw it (so sorry no link) but I did see an "official" answer about that some place - but yes - the Truvis pattern is considered just the same as any marking or logo made on the ball either manually or through customization.

• 1 month later...

I can't remember where I saw it (so sorry no link) but I did see an "official" answer about that some place - but yes - the Truvis pattern is considered just the same as any marking or logo made on the ball either manually or through customization.

I just got confirmation for this from a very credible source in our golf union. A plain yellow ball is the same as the yellow Truvis and a white Truvis is the same as a plain white one.

I can confirm that.

We had our biannual referee meeting today and this issue was brought up there. This pattern is indeed a logo and thus not considered as different color of the ball. Same if you had a different logo on your balls of same brand and model.

• 8 months later...

> @Pepe8714 said:

> Anyone have any new info here on this? Just want to confirm that we are allowed to switch out truvis balls during a round, but are not allowed to switch between white and yellow ProV1?

>

> Thanks

Truvis is treated as a logo on the ball. As long as the base ball is listed, and you're not switching from a white (e.g., white with blue, white with red, white with stars and stripes, etc...) to a yellow (yellow with black), you're good to go. This was asked when a group of us from GolfWRX got invited to the ball plant in Chicopee Mass a couple years ago, the answer direct from Cally was that the dots are considered a logo by the rules bodies.

In other words, you can switch from Stars and Stripes to Clover and still be legal. The ball is the same. Heck, they have a box with a sleeve of each playing suit (cards) in the same box.

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*