My Soul is Broken (distance issue)

mrfld

The end of last fall and beginning this year, I was pretty happy with my distances.

carry distances:

• 60* 65 yds
  • 52* 100 yds
  • 8i 150 yds
  • 6i 165 yds
  • 23*H 190 yds

driver distances

• The back net of the driving range is 230 yds away.
  • I was hitting the back net in flight or off one bounce.
  • My recorded playing distances using my GameGolf put my total distances between 230 and 260 yds.

My carry distances over the last month:

• 60* 45 yds
  • 52* 85 yds
  • 8i 100 yds
  • 6i 130 yds
  • 23*h 140 yds

The biggest heart break is my driver--can't even carry 160 yds.

I don't think I am casting because I have been working hard to hold the wrist angle. I'm not hitting fat because contact feels solid.

Assuming I'm not casting or hitting fat, any ideas besides sell my clubs?

“Working hard to hold my wrist angle.”

That is likely where the distance loss is...it’s at least contributing.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Write down as many of the things you told yourself to do from the beginning of the year until present. If you ever find yourself thinking of re incorporating such things, slap yourself! Buy some impact tape or use, foot spray and actually see where you’re hitting the ball on the face (I’d wager that it’s not as solid as you think). Put some effort towards improving the quality and consistency of the strike. Any improvement in that area will garner gains in distance.

Write down as many of the things you told yourself to do from the beginning of the year until present. If you ever find yourself thinking of re incorporating such things, slap yourself! Buy some impact tape or use, foot spray and actually see where you're hitting the ball on the face (I'd wager that it's not as solid as you think). Put some effort towards improving the quality and consistency of the strike. Any improvement in that area will garner gains in distance.

Understood--however, my driver face I keep clean and wipe down to monitor where the impact is. The driver impact zone is center of face and above the equator even now.

I have no knowledge to be giving anyone swing advice but losing 50 yards off an 8 iron says something is drastically wrong. You say you're hitting it solid but an 80 year old hitting it solid would hit it more than 100 yards. You should post a video.

Yes--exactly why my sole is breaking. I literally played lights out during my last round last month. I took off 3 days and went to the range and those posted distances happened instantly. During the last few weeks I've not gained any distance back. My swing feels no different.

Write down as many of the things you told yourself to do from the beginning of the year until present. If you ever find yourself thinking of re incorporating such things, slap yourself! Buy some impact tape or use, foot spray and actually see where you're hitting the ball on the face (I'd wager that it's not as solid as you think). Put some effort towards improving the quality and consistency of the strike. Any improvement in that area will garner gains in distance.

Understood--however, my driver face I keep clean and wipe down to monitor where the impact is. The driver impact zone is center of face and above the equator even now.

You’re making square contact and your driver distance has dropped from 240ish down to 160?? I don’t understand how that’s possible. Are you just bunting it? What is the ball flight like? Did you have a stroke? (Sorry, kidding, but that’s a remarkable loss of distance in one year.)

You're making square contact and your driver distance has dropped from 240ish down to 160?? I don't understand how that's possible. Are you just bunting it? What is the ball flight like? Did you have a stroke? (Sorry, kidding, but that's a remarkable loss of distance in one year.)

Yes--the anger I am feeling is ridiculous. The distance dropped, happen instantly. Bunting? No. In fact at one point I mentally snapped and just started swinging has hard as I physically could. Obviously that didn't help. I may have had an aneurysm because I lost my cool, kicked my bucket of half full balls. I believe the balls went further than my 60* wedge.

Without seeing a swing vid, I would guess that trying to hold the trail wrist angle might be causing you to steer the clubhead resulting in a loss of swing speed. If your ball flight is now higher, you could also be adding loft by scoop flipping to try to make up for the loss of speed by adding some trail hand slap.

Take a 6 or 7 iron and make continuous back and forth 9 to 3 swings as fast as you can with a full roll release on the through swing. Then try to hit a few balls will that feel. You probably need to find your way back to your original aggressiveness.

Well, everyone is going to get their .02 in here, but as someone whose 10-year career best is about how you're hitting now I am curious why you mention "holding the wrist angle" and "not casting" out of all the things you COULD have said. Did a trip to YouTube or an instructor or a tip from a friend precede any of this? The swing is extremely fragile and ANY attempt to improve it can cause a (temporary or permanent) "discontinuous" change. You know, roughly speaking: "Better is the enemy of good" (rather "perfect" is but I prefer my ex-physician's version).

Monte's experience has once again shown itself as he probably has honed in on the problem. I'm assuming of course that your distance measuring procedure isn't broken. :)

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

It’s unlikely you will learn anything of value with your current mindset. To make matters worse, you can’t tell a horse where the water is and you can’t make him drink, but............

This would be a good excuse to learn how to use your right arm. Make a couple thousand right arm only swings. After that, tie rope to grip of club and around left shoulder, then make a couple thousand more swings. Keep some tension in rope at all times via right arm.

You may learn a few things or you may not.

Best of luck.

AC

Well, everyone is going to get their .02 in here, but as someone whose 10-year career best is about how you're hitting now I am curious why you mention "holding the wrist angle" and "not casting" out of all the things you COULD have said. Did a trip to YouTube or an instructor or a tip from a friend precede any of this? The swing is extremely fragile and ANY attempt to improve it can cause a (temporary or permanent) "discontinuous" change. You know, roughly speaking: "Better is the enemy of good" (rather "perfect" is but I prefer my ex-physician's version).

Monte's experience has once again shown itself as he probably has honed in on the problem. I'm assuming of course that your distance measuring procedure isn't broken. :)

To answer your question--I simply know that casting or early wrist break can kill distance. That being an issue moons ago as a beginner. When I first started playing, my 7i total distance was 150 (started playing golf in 2011). I read 5 Lessons last year and things really clicked after that. My distances jumped after reading that book.

I wasn't trying to change anything. I went to the range to practice and I feel like Cinderella at Midnight.

It’s unlikely you will learn anything of value with your current mindset. To make matters worse, you can’t tell a horse where the water is and you can’t make him drink, but............

This would be a good excuse to learn how to use your right arm. Make a couple thousand right arm only swings. After that, tie rope to grip of club and around left shoulder, then make a couple thousand more swings. Keep some tension in rope at all times via right arm.

Best of luck.

AC

Thanks--I'll try anything.

Without seeing a swing vid, I would guess that trying to hold the trail wrist angle might be causing you to steer the clubhead resulting in a loss of swing speed. If your ball flight is now higher, you could also be adding loft by scoop flipping to try to make up for the loss of speed by adding some trail hand slap.

Take a 6 or 7 iron and make continuous back and forth 9 to 3 swings as fast as you can with a full roll release on the through swing. Then try to hit a few balls will that feel. You probably need to find your way back to your original aggressiveness.

I suppose Flipping could be the issue. It's so weird that I don't feel anything different in my swing.

Whenever i get any loss of distance for a few rounds i start practicing 'fast hands and arms' again, as i tend to drag the handle a bit, guess it's similar to holding the angles, and causes me to lose a bit of speed, loads of videos of this online, the only way i could even think of losing a third of my distances would be due to not releasing, which speeding up my arms/hands fixes more often than not.

It will do your soul more good to preform a ritual where you break each club and throw them into a pond than to sell them. Just food for thought.

I wonder. Are you leaking shots right ? If so I understand your pain. I call it “ the wipes”. And you can easily lose 1/3 distance with them without hitting shots fat or off center. Every now and then I wake up without the ability to release the club. I don’t know why. But it leaves o its own as fast as it comes. Usually the next day.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Best of luck.

AC

Thanks--I'll try anything.

Then post a clear video in good lighting so someone can actually help you instead of guessing.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

You really need to swing freely through the ball, without conscious manipulation. Steering can cause loss of distance as much as anything. If you're centering your hits, and losing 30-50 yards, it's because you're steering. Trying to hold the wrist angle is screwing with your swing, leave it alone.

You need to swing freely through the ball without trying to control it. You need to feel a bit out of control, and swing freely. It sounds like to me you're playing safe, and trying to keep the ball in play. The ball will stay in play if your forget the golf swing, and hit the ball freely, without manipulation.

I personally lose around 30-50 yards hitting high on the driver face, but that's mostly caused by my "steering" trying to fade the ball, therefore hitting down on the ball severely, and I probably lose around 7-10 mph just by conscious manipulation. You can't expect to manipulate the club into forced positions and expect it to work.

Stop steering, learn to swing freely.

. Trying to hold the wrist angle is screwing with your swing, leave it alone.

You need to swing freely through the ball without trying to control it. You need to feel a bit out of control, and swing freely. It

+ 1,000,000,000

OP the only thing you should be "holding" is your spine angle / posture / balance through the ball.

Make a smooth unhurried transition, then throw / fire / release the clubhead through the ball.

If you start hitting snap hooks, you'll actually be making progress (more so than if the ball is "leaking / blocked right" (for a RH golfer).

• 1 year later...

Hey all, thanks for all the feedback. So fast forward a year and I have gained nothing. I have been taking lessons this summer from a former tour player. The last 3 months I've busted my butt at the range. Club path, face angle, shoulder rotation...my body hurts from all the practice. I haven't played a round since my OP last year. I have committed to practice until I'm fixed.

Here are my club carry averages.

Driver 137

7i 86

60* 55

Im not sure how much more I can mentally take. I'm about ready to quit.

Any idea what your club head speed was before and after the total collapse? Driver CHS of 75MPH would give you 140yd carry. Your previous carry of 230 would need 100MPH CHS. I would be surprised if you lost that much CHS over night but very curious. I have not seen that mentioned in this thread.

6vmoyr6ozrjv.png

Any way to check your CHS with and without a ball?

Driver ball flight extremely high, low, massive curvature? What is your current Pro telling you?

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> “Working hard to hold my wrist angle.”

>

>

>

> That is likely where the distance loss is...it’s at least contributing.

I'd agree with Monte as I've done much the same thing and am fighting to get distance back again. I fell into the 'drive your trail elbow' and 'keep your wrist cocked' hole and all it does is keep the face open at address causing you to lose distance (unless you're nimble as a kid). I've been working with a pro to help me get better contact and a square face at impact. Not easy to do either and very frustrating. Good luck and go see a pro who can help.

Post a video. Youre not going to get any actual help until somebody can see your golf swing.

As a side note, when I only hit balls at the range and dont play any real golf, my game seems to go to hell too. Just go out and play the game, quit worrying. I find that for me, it really frees my swing.