Mizuno Recommendations

Shifty242

One noteworthy thing with buying a new mizuno iron set it that you get a nice selection of custom shafts with no price upgrade. DG, KBS, Project X, Nippon, AMT Tour, e.g. Definitely worth the dollar to take the time fitting the right shaft and flex for your swing specs. Also, there is wide selection of grips to choose from and adjusting grip thickness and lie angles does not cost extra.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the last four years, I have been playing with Taylor Made RocketBladez game improvement irons. I recently did a full bag fitting at Club Champions and learned that it might be worth switching to blades. I hit several brands, but really enjoyed the feel of the Mizunos. (Unfortunately, I don't remember which model I hit.) I am a 9 handicap, but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $1200 on a new set of blades and play them 100% of the time. But I am interested in getting a used set and practicing with them and then, as I'm ready, blending them into my bag.

Can you recommend a good Mizuno iron set to consider?

Thank you!

Of cheaper irons - I'd try to find a set of MP-62s.

Surprisingly easy to hit IMO. Probably about $200 for a set. Practice with your 6 iron and you'll be able to play the entire set no problem. I played them for 4 years when I was a 14 hcap down to a 7....but my main improvement came from short game, not long ga

I've played the mp69 blades for 5 years before changing to mp-18sc's this season. Yes, blades do have a great feel when struck well but at the level of my ball striking (hcp 6) they were too unforgiving and harsh for misses to score well and enjoy the game of golf during full rounds. I would definitely recommend to give a go with mp-18sc's as an alternative. The feel of the forged clubhead is nearly as good as in the blades but they are much more forgiving and you are actually able to play them, and produce good scores even if your swing is a bit off. It is a big move from game improvement irons directly to blades. A mixture of mp-18 blades and sc's could work as well, in that case recommend switching to blades at 8 or 9 iron. It is true that blades have better touch around greens in chipping. For irons 3-4 also recommend testing mmc's or fli hi's.

Samboroll, I thank you for your feedback. I definitely will not walk away from GI irons cold turkey. The plan is practice with the blades and then blend them in as I develop a feel and comfort level with them. Yours is one of several recommendations for the mp-18scs. Those are on my list to check out in the future.

Now that I read about your interest in blades, I'm thinking of blending MP-18 mb's 9 iron and PW to my set, mostly for their feel in chipping and pitching. That is the only thing I've felt as a slight downgrade in my switch from blades to sc's. 8 iron is a borderline between mb and sc. Probably have to just test the difference at my full swings and see how often I will use that club for low and rolling chips during the round. 4-7 irons will continue to be sc's for long, that is for sure.

I'll be interested to hear about your experience with that. Just out of curiosity, how many months out of the year can you play golf in Finland?

For the last four years, I have been playing with Taylor Made RocketBladez game improvement irons. I recently did a full bag fitting at Club Champions and learned that it might be worth switching to blades. I hit several brands, but really enjoyed the feel of the Mizunos. (Unfortunately, I don't remember which model I hit.) I am a 9 handicap, but I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $1200 on a new set of blades and play them 100% of the time. But I am interested in getting a used set and practicing with them and then, as I'm ready, blending them into my bag.

Thank you!

Of cheaper irons - I'd try to find a set of MP-62s.

Surprisingly easy to hit IMO. Probably about $200 for a set. Practice with your 6 iron and you'll be able to play the entire set no problem. I played them for 4 years when I was a 14 hcap down to a 7....but my main improvement came from short game, not long ga

That's great advice about the 6-iron. Thank you!

I've played the mp69 blades for 5 years before changing to mp-18sc's this season. Yes, blades do have a great feel when struck well but at the level of my ball striking (hcp 6) they were too unforgiving and harsh for misses to score well and enjoy the game of golf during full rounds. I would definitely recommend to give a go with mp-18sc's as an alternative. The feel of the forged clubhead is nearly as good as in the blades but they are much more forgiving and you are actually able to play them, and produce good scores even if your swing is a bit off. It is a big move from game improvement irons directly to blades. A mixture of mp-18 blades and sc's could work as well, in that case recommend switching to blades at 8 or 9 iron. It is true that blades have better touch around greens in chipping. For irons 3-4 also recommend testing mmc's or fli hi's.

Samboroll, I thank you for your feedback. I definitely will not walk away from GI irons cold turkey. The plan is practice with the blades and then blend them in as I develop a feel and comfort level with them. Yours is one of several recommendations for the mp-18scs. Those are on my list to check out in the future.

Now that I read about your interest in blades, I'm thinking of blending MP-18 mb's 9 iron and PW to my set, mostly for their feel in chipping and pitching. That is the only thing I've felt as a slight downgrade in my switch from blades to sc's. 8 iron is a borderline between mb and sc. Probably have to just test the difference at my full swings and see how often I will use that club for low and rolling chips during the round. 4-7 irons will continue to be sc's for long, that is for sure.

I'll be interested to hear about your experience with that. Just out of curiosity, how many months out of the year can you play golf in Finland?

Depends on the summer, but in the southern part of the country where I live, usually +/- five full months (May-September). Long days compensate the short season, so in the summer during week days you can tee off after work at 7pm and still play a full round. Days are getting shorter here now...the sun goes down today at 9pm.

Anybody gaming the MX 300s from the stone ages (2011)? Looking at the MP 18 (SC) - any thoughts on the design tradeoffs of these 2 irons?

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

Not much of an adjustment, distances were very similar. The MP 18's were maybe 2-5 yards longer. Getting fit into the right shaft is key and cost was a lot for me but having them fit for free was a relief at least. Could basically get any shaft and grip for no upcharge.

I don't see the MP18 line getting reduced for another 8-12 months but who knows

Another route you could check would be Tiger Nick golf (Ebay store). They usually have quite a few refinished mizuno sets. Just a matter of whether or not the shafts in them are ones you like.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

One noteworthy thing with buying a new mizuno iron set it that you get a nice selection of custom shafts with no price upgrade. DG, KBS, Project X, Nippon, AMT Tour, e.g. Definitely worth the dollar to take the time fitting the right shaft and flex for your swing specs. Also, there is wide selection of grips to choose from and adjusting grip thickness and lie angles does not cost extra.

I think now all options are no upcharge for shafts and grips. When I got my MP15s 4 years ago some grip options cost more.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Not much of an adjustment, distances were very similar. The MP 18's were maybe 2-5 yards longer. Getting fit into the right shaft is key and cost was a lot for me but having them fit for free was a relief at least. Could basically get any shaft and grip for no upcharge.

I don't see the MP18 line getting reduced for another 8-12 months but who knows

Sweet! I know the shaft I need and have confirmed it is offered as a no-charge option. It was a fairly expensive process to learn that, but very helpful going forward.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in with set recommendations and other advice. I really appreciate it!

Next question: One of the clubs in my TM Rocketbladez set that I really like is the 50 deg wedge. I play a Vokey 58 and 54, but just out of curiosity, do you guys rate Mizuno wedges? If yes, is there a 50 I should check out? Pictures are always welcome!

ddetts, thanks for the ebay store recommendations. I'm always amazed at what you can find there when you do a little digging.

I'll disclose, I've yet to buy from them but from what I've heard from others it's been all positive reviews.

I just checked the store and looks like a few solid mizuno sets there. I really love the black finishes they do.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in with set recommendations and other advice. I really appreciate it!

Next question: One of the clubs in my TM Rocketbladez set that I really like is the 50 deg wedge. I play a Vokey 58 and 54, but just out of curiosity, do you guys rate Mizuno wedges? If yes, is there a 50 I should check out? Pictures are always welcome!

Being a mizuno post you'll probably have a lot of high praise for the wedges. Mizuno's irons and wedges are phenomenal, their woods are coming around I understand.

Regarding wedges though, the R and T lines were great. Many liked the T4&5 and they can be had cheaply but I have never played those. I was interested in the boron wedges for the durability aspect so I picked up a S18 56* and love it. Very soft, very accurate, and spins like a champ. Due to that I grabbed a t7 50* & 57* as they can be found New under $80 right now. On most of my shots with them they feel firmer than the S18 but only because the S18 is softer across the entire face. The T7 feel great when middled, no question. And I don't mind the feedback otherwise. The t7s are bit easier to flight down for me than the s18 and they also spin great.

Both sets are a hair longer than the vokeys and Clevelands I have had in the past and moved away from now. Both also have fantastic grinds with blunted leading edge, trail relief, and a C-ish grind. My only issue now is deciding between my S18 56* with 14bounce or my t7 57* with 11bounce. Both great wedges, both look great after multiple rounds.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

ddetts, thanks for the ebay store recommendations. I'm always amazed at what you can find there when you do a little digging.

I'll disclose, I've yet to buy from them but from what I've heard from others it's been all positive reviews.

I just checked the store and looks like a few solid mizuno sets there. I really love the black finishes they do.

I just went through their listings and, surprisingly, I really like the black finishes as well. Thanks again for the recommendation!

Being a mizuno post you'll probably have a lot of high praise for the wedges. Mizuno's irons and wedges are phenomenal, their woods are coming around I understand.

Regarding wedges though, the R and T lines were great. Many liked the T4&5 and they can be had cheaply but I have never played those. I was interested in the boron wedges for the durability aspect so I picked up a S18 56* and love it. Very soft, very accurate, and spins like a champ. Due to that I grabbed a t7 50* & 57* as they can be found New under $80 right now. On most of my shots with them they feel firmer than the S18 but only because the S18 is softer across the entire face. The T7 feel great when middled, no question. And I don't mind the feedback otherwise. The t7s are bit easier to flight down for me than the s18 and they also spin great.

Both sets are a hair longer than the vokeys and Clevelands I have had in the past and moved away from now. Both also have fantastic grinds with blunted leading edge, trail relief, and a C-ish grind. My only issue now is deciding between my S18 56* with 14bounce or my t7 57* with 11bounce. Both great wedges, both look great after multiple rounds.

kess13, that's an awesome review. Thank you, I really appreciate you chiming in. I fondled the t7s and the S18s when I was in a store on Sunday, but didn't get a chance to hit them. I think I will definitely look into a Mizuno 50 deg wedge to round out the new(ish) bag.

kess13, that's an awesome review. Thank you, I really appreciate you chiming in. I fondled the t7s and the S18s when I was in a store on Sunday, but didn't get a chance to hit them. I think I will definitely look into a Mizuno 50 deg wedge to round out the new(ish) bag.

T7's are really discounted on Mizuno's website right now. $80

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

A t7 60-06 is the first not vokey wedge in my bag in a long time. They really are great sticks.

Diablo Octane Tour Aldila RIP X 70
Diablo Octane Tour 15 Rip Beta X
X2HP 20
MP-64 4-PW KBS Tour X 130
Vokey 50, 54, & 58
Odyssey White Ice Mini T

A t7 60-06 is the first not vokey wedge in my bag in a long time. They really are great sticks.

I've had T5's in the bag for like 3 years, just bought the cheap T7's to replace them. Barely $70/wedge with the coupon code I found.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Anybody gaming the MX 300s from the stone ages (2011)? Looking at the MP 18 (SC) - any thoughts on the design tradeoffs of these 2 irons?

I played the MX-300 in the past and the MP-18 SC now. The MX-300 is a more forgiving larger head. IMO more comparable to the JPX-900 Forged. If you are consistent with your ball striking I would definitely try the MP-18 SC. Great all around iron for me.

Cobra King F7, Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.0

Cobra King F7 4wd, Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0

Cobra King F7 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.0

Mizuno JPX919 HMP 5-PW, AMT White S300

Vokey SM8, 48.10F/54.14F/60.08M, Stock shafts

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S 34"

I had a chance to hit the mp 18mmc and the mp 18sc last weekend. And while I really liked them both, the cost, even used, is a lot more than I want to pay right now. At some point I will consider upgrading to a club like that.

Based on many recommendations, I picked up a brand new set of mp-54s (thanks for the heads up kess13!) for well under my budget. I'm excited to get them to the range this weekend and see how they feel. If I like them, then I'll consider changing the shafts to the Nippon 950s, which shouldn't break the bank.

To set my expectations, how much distance should I expect to using the mp-54 vs the TM Rocketbladez?

I had a chance to hit the mp 18mmc and the mp 18sc last weekend. And while I really liked them both, the cost, even used, is a lot more than I want to pay right now. At some point I will consider upgrading to a club like that.

Based on many recommendations, I picked up a brand new set of mp-54s (thanks for the heads up kess13!) for well under my budget. I'm excited to get them to the range this weekend and see how they feel. If I like them, then I'll consider changing the shafts to the Nippon 950s, which shouldn't break the bank.

To set my expectations, how much distance should I expect to using the mp-54 vs the TM Rocketbladez?

I haven't played the rocketbladez but there will be some loft differences through the set. Some have said they found the mp54 to be short but I have not found that. In fact, I have picked a little distance and a lot of accuracy. The 3 iron never leaves the bag now. I kept the stock s300, they feel great in that head.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

For Mizuno blades, 33's, 32's, 4's, 5's, 69's, I would recommend any of these. You can find them for a reasonable price on Ebay.

Hit em good

Thank you! It is pretty amazing how many mint or little-used sets are floating around on eBay.

People buy too much club and it doesn't take long to realize. A few stick with it and reap the benefits.

To the list above I would add 68s. Never played them, but they are Mizuno and they exist. Many on here still use them.

Right now I've got a pile of old Mizuno - TN87s in the bag, MS11, MS5 and MS1 in the closet. I am thinking of moving the time machine a little forward and of the Mizuno I've hit MP32 and 33 maybe the best feeling. MP4 look the sleakest and MP5 is the most forgiving. The 5s are probably the most intriguing - the short irons are slightly larger than the 4s, but they look adorable.

Of the cavity backs, 64, 66 and 55s are the only one's I've tried. The 55s are a funny set, they've got really forgiving long irons and then regular cavity back short irons. Really solid club, that doesn't get love. Maybe because they weren't released in America. Likewise the 66. If I had to play either, I'd take them and run.

To the OP, depending on how often you play, I'd say get rid of the old sticks and commit to a reasonable set of CBs. If I was smart, I would have stopped hoing with a set of Tourstage 701 I was using two years ago. Once you get a set of nice clubs, with some shafts that fit, what more do you need?

I haven't played the rocketbladez but there will be some loft differences through the set. Some have said they found the mp54 to be short but I have not found that. In fact, I have picked a little distance and a lot of accuracy. The 3 iron never leaves the bag now. I kept the stock s300, they feel great in that head.

Thanks kess13. I spent some time on the range with the mp54 6-iron yesterday and really loved the feel once I started making solid contact. Without being very scientific, it looked like I was maybe a club shorter than with the RBz. Over the holiday I'm going to head to a shop to see if I can do a club by club comparison between the two. I will probably convert the shafts to the Nippon 950s as well even though the stock shafts didn't feel bad.

Hopefully as my ball-striking and technique improve, the difference in distance will be negligible.

For Mizuno blades, 33's, 32's, 4's, 5's, 69's, I would recommend any of these. You can find them for a reasonable price on Ebay.

Hit em good

Thank you! It is pretty amazing how many mint or little-used sets are floating around on eBay.

To the OP, depending on how often you play, I'd say get rid of the old sticks and commit to a reasonable set of CBs. Once you get a set of nice clubs, with some shafts that fit, what more do you need?

Christen, that's exactly what I'm in the process of doing. Thanks for the feedback!

CC provides a printed out spec sheet of the clubs they fit you for. It's a deliverable item of your fitting. They either hand it to you in person, or email afterwards.

If you don't have that, hit them up and ask them to send it to you. It has every detail of the clubs on it.

Thank you!