2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

So I have scheduled an iron fitting with GolfTec for a Tuesday night at their Family Sports location. If you had a choice of hitting on an actual range like with GolfTec or inside a bay at Club Champion, which one would you choose?

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one par five has a plaque that says 280 to the canal. That's good to know if you add a 25 yard draw to your shot. I thought I safely took enough off my tee shot, only to see it go straight through the fairway into the gunch.

That hole easily ranks as one of my least favorite in the Denver area. I always intend to lay up, then end up going in anyway. I've gone into the gulch with my 3-wood multiple times. I even went in with a Hybrid once, somehow. I swear there's a ball magnet set in that water that just pulls extra hard to get balls to go into it.

So I have scheduled an iron fitting with GolfTec for a Tuesday night at their Family Sports location. If you had a choice of hitting on an actual range like with GolfTec or inside a bay at Club Champion, which one would you choose?

If the outdoor range includes a flight monitor (QC2/Quad or Trackman), easily that route. I never trust launch monitors and ball flight trackers hitting into a screen. Even when it's a $45,000+ Trackman. They always show a completely different ball flight than I have outdoors on the course. It could be me swinging differently because I'm indoors and hitting into a screen, and my subconscious takes over. But still, last time I used a Trackman indoors, it was showing big 20 yard hooks, when on the course, I've never done that. If anything, I'll hit big 20-30 yard slices on a miss hit.

So, I went out to Ute Creek yesterday, for my first round in 3 weeks. I'm never taking 3 weeks off again. I was so far off my game. I went from averaging 64% fairways hit for the month of July (5 rounds), to only hitting 4 out of 13 fairways yesterday. And one of them was with a driving iron. My driver was 1 for 7, which happened to be on Hole #1. Man, oh man, I just felt so off. My approaches were all over the place. My short game was weak. I was leaving nearly every putt about a foot short.

31% fairways

33% GIR

30 putts

For a season-high 83. Plusses: I made a couple putts outside 10 feet. I was able to actually get out of bunkers decently. A complete lack of any golf game and I still broke bogey golf.

Also, pace of play was HORRIBLE. There was a group of 8, playing as two foursomes back to back. The wives were in front, followed by their husbands behind. They were un-Godly slow. #6 was the first Par 3 on the course, and by the time we got to it, the group of men were on the putting green, and we were the third group waiting on the tee box. No joke, 12 people standing on the tee box watching these guys finish the hole. I have never, in my life, seen a hole that backed up before. Opened up a bit on the back when one of the groups in front of us left, and the two of the people in my group left. Still was over a 5 hour round of golf.

So apparently I still haven't learned...club championship was this weekend. I was relatively good Friday night and played ok Saturday. I was +7 on the first two par 3's which clearly hurt, but I wasn't out of contention and shot an 88. Now this is the part where I don't learn and decided to stay up and drink until 1130pm for me to leave the next morning at 545am. Needless to say I played like sh!t with a 47/47. I did have 29 putts though...only because I was 1/18 on GIR's :lol:

Highlight of the round was me chipping in from the greenside bunker on 18 to save bogey lol. It was pretty and kind of made up for my dreadful round. I'm taking the next week and a half off from golf though. Mind, body and emotions need a break from golf and life in general...

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

So, I went out to Ute Creek yesterday, for my first round in 3 weeks. I'm never taking 3 weeks off again. I was so far off my game. I went from averaging 64% fairways hit for the month of July (5 rounds), to only hitting 4 out of 13 fairways yesterday. And one of them was with a driving iron. My driver was 1 for 7, which happened to be on Hole #1. Man, oh man, I just felt so off. My approaches were all over the place. My short game was weak. I was leaving nearly every putt about a foot short.

31% fairways

33% GIR

30 putts

For a season-high 83. Plusses: I made a couple putts outside 10 feet. I was able to actually get out of bunkers decently. A complete lack of any golf game and I still broke bogey golf.

Also, pace of play was HORRIBLE. There was a group of 8, playing as two foursomes back to back. The wives were in front, followed by their husbands behind. They were un-Godly slow. #6 was the first Par 3 on the course, and by the time we got to it, the group of men were on the putting green, and we were the third group waiting on the tee box. No joke, 12 people standing on the tee box watching these guys finish the hole. I have never, in my life, seen a hole that backed up before. Opened up a bit on the back when one of the groups in front of us left, and the two of the people in my group left. Still was over a 5 hour round of golf.

The marshals at Ute Creek don't do anything about speeding up play. This used to be my home course when I lived in Longmont and it wasn't that bad. I played Ute Creek a couple of weeks ago and it was slow. I was fortunate that as a single in a cart a couple of groups let me through and nobody was in front of me. A 5 hour round turned into a 3 hour round.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

FYI...

Club Champion just told me that they will bring back the half-price full bag special during the winter. He didn't know the exact dates, but he speculated "late November."

Last couple of fittings had been indoors and I agree with others, I would do outdoors hands down now. Not that the fittings where bad, but would like to see the actual ball flight. Everyone typically knows their swings and knows when they hit a shot what its going to do... most the time that does not show up indoors. unless it is just a really bad move.

The one major draw back to out doors your not going to be hitting the ball you play.... you will be using range balls which is not going to be the same with spin from driver to wedges. *Unless you launch a few "shag" bag balls down the range.

31% fairways

33% GIR

30 putts

The marshals at Ute Creek don't do anything about speeding up play. This used to be my home course when I lived in Longmont and it wasn't that bad. I played Ute Creek a couple of weeks ago and it was slow. I was fortunate that as a single in a cart a couple of groups let me through and nobody was in front of me. A 5 hour round turned into a 3 hour round.

I probably play Ute more than any other course these days as I live about 15 minutes south in Erie. Don't ever book a time past the first few groups for exactly this reason.

On the other hand I walked Indian Peaks for my birthday round yesterday and the B-Day spirits were shining on me. Went 39/39 with 2 3-putts for a season low 78 for me. Hoping to carry that momentum to the Sanctuary round 8/22.

The one major draw back to out doors your not going to be hitting the ball you play.... you will be using range balls which is not going to be the same with spin from driver to wedges. *Unless you launch a few "shag" bag balls down the range.

Thanks for that bit of insight--something I never would've thought of. I have a rather large collection of slightly scuffed Z-Stars and Pro V's that I wouldn't mind parting with in the name of proper club fitting.

31% fairways

33% GIR

30 putts

I probably play Ute more than any other course these days as I live about 15 minutes south in Erie. Don't ever book a time past the first few groups for exactly this reason.

On the other hand I walked Indian Peaks for my birthday round yesterday and the B-Day spirits were shining on me. Went 39/39 with 2 3-putts for a season low 78 for me. Hoping to carry that momentum to the Sanctuary round 8/22.

Saddleback Golf Course in Firestone is a good option. Not a bad track, especially from the back tees and pace of play seems to be decent. I went from Ute Creek to Saddleback as my home course somewhere around 2002.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

FYI...

Club Champion just told me that they will bring back the half-price full bag special during the winter. He didn't know the exact dates, but he speculated "late November."

Thanks for the heads up! I'm planning on doing new irons and wedges with them this off season.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

31% fairways

33% GIR

30 putts

Saddleback Golf Course in Firestone is a good option. Not a bad track, especially from the back tees and pace of play seems to be decent. I went from Ute Creek to Saddleback as my home course somewhere around 2002.

Agreed; Saddleback is a pretty fun track...but it seems like their prices have gone up quite a bit over the past few years & they got rid of any deals they used to run, so I haven’t played there in awhile. Gotta pay for that new clubhouse somehow, I suppose haha

I'm playing Walnut Creek for the first time on Saturday. Any tips?

I'm playing Walnut Creek for the first time on Saturday. Any tips?

Greens are still very firm at Walnut and it's playing as linksy as a non fescue course can play. With the greens being so firm, placement in the correct part of the fairway for that day's pin is very important as you won't be able to hold anywhere close coming from a bad angle. On 14 (par three at the top of the hill) make sure you look at your putt from all angles. There's some positions on that green where you'd swear your ball broke up hill after hitting it.

So apparently I still haven't learned...club championship was this weekend. I was relatively good Friday night and played ok Saturday. I was +7 on the first two par 3's which clearly hurt, but I wasn't out of contention and shot an 88. Now this is the part where I don't learn and decided to stay up and drink until 1130pm for me to leave the next morning at 545am. Needless to say I played like sh!t with a 47/47. I did have 29 putts though...only because I was 1/18 on GIR's :lol:

Highlight of the round was me chipping in from the greenside bunker on 18 to save bogey lol. It was pretty and kind of made up for my dreadful round. I'm taking the next week and a half off from golf though. Mind, body and emotions need a break from golf and life in general...

I resemble this remark.

I’m going to go alcohol free this weekend for our club championship. Too man times in the past I’ve played well on Saturday only to completely suck on Sunday. I’m not extremely confident about my game at the moment, but I need to at least not feel like crap Sunday morning

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

I have an online pen-pal type friend coming to visit Denver for the first time this weekend, and instead of being a good & proper host, I'm going to play a round of golf at The Broadlands Saturday afternoon.

But, in my defense, he's going to a concert Saturday night. And my tee time is 4pm...so it's not that bad.

Coming into Denver mid-October, anybody that frequents Cincinnati wanna swap guest for guest at any of the Denver private clubs. Open rounds has two courses available but I'd rather not play by myself.

You might get some PMs from members of clubs but anyone on this board will tell you awesome the public golf is in the Denver metro area. I'd recommend playing Walnut Creek and Riverdale Dunes.

Member member this weekend at Highlands Ranch! Let's go! Hope you guys are getting to play somewhere.

How'd it go? Saw a few of your posts on Insta Stories. Hope you ended up staying dry!

Playing Riverdale at 10:20 tomorrow AM with a good friend. Excited to get out again, and will probably be my only time out until mid-September.

Took much needed week off and had some family time up in Breck. Got back out on the course this weekend and it was awful! I just had no rhythm or feel. Every shot felt very passive thru the ball for some reason. The couple of swings I made with an aggressive thru the ball mentality were good but there were not too many of them. I need to get it figured out since I'm in the final 4 (for my flight) of our club championship this weekend. If I play like I did the weekend, it's going to be a short match.

Anyone has any advice for getting back into rhythm during a round? Maybe a trick or two that helps you?

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

My swing was having a block party on the front nine at Walnut Creek on Saturday. It really felt like I went 0-for with fairways hit and GIR. Plus, it was crazy windy, and it rained on holes 7-9. On the back nine, the winds calmed down, and I did a much better job of recovering from bad drives, and I ended up with a 46-39.

You couldn't pay me enough to live on the north side of town, but, wow, I wish we had these kinds of choices of courses on the south side.

Took much needed week off and had some family time up in Breck. Got back out on the course this weekend and it was awful! I just had no rhythm or feel. Every shot felt very passive thru the ball for some reason. The couple of swings I made with an aggressive thru the ball mentality were good but there were not too many of them. I need to get it figured out since I'm in the final 4 (for my flight) of our club championship this weekend. If I play like I did the weekend, it's going to be a short match.

Anyone has any advice for getting back into rhythm during a round? Maybe a trick or two that helps you?

I swing at 80% on the range when I feel like I lost rhythm. Understand your "passive" at the ball. This happens to me because I am on my right side to long, not getting through the ball with my lower body. The 80% swing helps me time up the rotation better.

How did the fitting go?