Chew: What are you dippin?

Smash Factors

I’ve been quit for a little over a month now. I decided to just quit while we were on vacation. After I quit I started getting a few rough patches on my gums and cheek. I go Friday for the second time to have more of it cut out as the first biopsy came back undetermined. He said he doesn’t think it’s cancer but they want the whole bits to test at the lab he sends it to. So I get to have the rest cut out (hopefully) Friday. For those that dip, it sucks to be playing this waiting game and the cutting of stuff out of your mouth tissue isn’t fun. If you can, quit dipping now before you end up where I am.

Hey Rookie,,haven't seen you around for a while. Welcome back (if you were gone)

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been quit for a little over a month now. I decided to just quit while we were on vacation. After I quit I started getting a few rough patches on my gums and cheek. I go Friday for the second time to have more of it cut out as the first biopsy came back undetermined. He said he doesn't think it's cancer but they want the whole bits to test at the lab he sends it to. So I get to have the rest cut out (hopefully) Friday. For those that dip, it sucks to be playing this waiting game and the cutting of stuff out of your mouth tissue isn't fun. If you can, quit dipping now before you end up where I am.

Dang man, I'm sorry to hear about that. I started in college because I wanted to be "cool", did it for about two years, then found a lump in my lower lip and was scared straight....for about 8-9 years.

Then I started working for the Minnesota Twins, and found a half chewed tin in the dugout at Target Field, and it's been on-and-off again ever since.

I know I am going to seriously put an axe to it for good in the near future, but in the meantime they re-introduced Skoal Spearmint and I've been loving that stuff.

Definitely need to quit it for good though.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you start, how much per month habit did you have and for how long? Your withdrawal must have been lethal?

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

I've been quit for a little over a month now. I decided to just quit while we were on vacation. After I quit I started getting a few rough patches on my gums and cheek. I go Friday for the second time to have more of it cut out as the first biopsy came back undetermined. He said he doesn't think it's cancer but they want the whole bits to test at the lab he sends it to. So I get to have the rest cut out (hopefully) Friday. For those that dip, it sucks to be playing this waiting game and the cutting of stuff out of your mouth tissue isn't fun. If you can, quit dipping now before you end up where I am.

Dang man, I'm sorry to hear about that. I started in college because I wanted to be "cool", did it for about two years, then found a lump in my lower lip and was scared straight....for about 8-9 years.

Then I started working for the Minnesota Twins, and found a half chewed tin in the dugout at Target Field, and it's been on-and-off again ever since.

I know I am going to seriously put an axe to it for good in the near future, but in the meantime they re-introduced Skoal Spearmint and I've been loving that stuff.

Definitely need to quit it for good though.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you start, how much per month habit did you have and for how long? Your withdrawal must have been lethal?

Over 20 years, a can a day and the withdrawal wasn’t that bad. I started while we were on vacation and drank a 12er of beer a day minimum on the beach lol. Got home and was down to 2 pinches a day. The can I bought on the way home, I decided was the last one I’d buy. I got one last dip on the way home from work 3 days after vacation and threw the other half of the can out the window and havent touched it since

I’ve been quit for a little over a month now. I decided to just quit while we were on vacation. After I quit I started getting a few rough patches on my gums and cheek. I go Friday for the second time to have more of it cut out as the first biopsy came back undetermined. He said he doesn’t think it’s cancer but they want the whole bits to test at the lab he sends it to. So I get to have the rest cut out (hopefully) Friday. For those that dip, it sucks to be playing this waiting game and the cutting of stuff out of your mouth tissue isn’t fun. If you can, quit dipping now before you end up where I am.

Hey Rookie,,haven't seen you around for a while. Welcome back (if you were gone)

I’ve been in and out but the last month and a half to two, I’ve been busy with the dental stuff and work

Quit dipping while you're ahead folks.

Exactly this. June marked 4 years for me. Really glad I quit. 10 year habit, quit cold turkey.

Just looked back and my first post in this thread is to you about how tough it is to quit.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/701746-chew-what-are-you-dippin/page__st__30#entry6701113

Quit dipping while you're ahead folks.

Exactly this. June marked 4 years for me. Really glad I quit. 10 year habit, quit cold turkey.

Just looked back and my first post in this thread is to you about how tough it is to quit.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/701746-chew-what-are-you-dippin/page__st__30#entry6701113

Man I dipped Copenhagen for 20+ years. That stuff is like crack. There’s nothing like the taste of a pinch of fresh cope. I just decided to quit and this stuff came up afterward. It’s not worth it and he said he’s not sure it’s even from dipping. But it’s exactly where I used to hold a pinch at

Dipped for 8 years but slowed down to a random can every month or two. Moved to snus ordered from Sweden. Dip was Copenhagen snuff or wintergreen when I needed a switch up. Still don't have a consistent choice for snus. I will say living in Canada makes it very easy to quit chewing. The price of a can of cope is now 30 bucks. Good thing I am a 5 minute drive to the us border.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

• 2 weeks later...

Some results today. I still have to go get cut on again. That said, I’m very fortunate to report that I don’t currently have cancer. I have precancerous lesions with moderate dysplasia directly related to dipping tobacco.

Please, please if you dip, stop. This is still scary and I still have multiple treatments ahead and my gum line is precariously close and could swing either way.

Some results today. I still have to go get cut on again. That said, I'm very fortunate to report that I don't currently have cancer. I have precancerous lesions with moderate dysplasia directly related to dipping tobacco.

Please, please if you dip, stop. This is still scary and I still have multiple treatments ahead and my gum line is precariously close and could swing either way.

This.

I will not be a hypocrite - I did drink and smoke from the age of 15 to my mid 30s. I now have the occasional drink and have not touched a smoke since the eve of my wedding night.

I've been lucky so far with my health, but if I could go back to my younger self and change anything, it would be the smoking. It has zero benefit to your life, makes you stink, and there is a good chance it will kill you in many nasty ways.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I dipped grizzly wintergreen while in college then switched to copenhagen wintergreen for a long time. Over the last couple years I have gone mostly to the wintergreen pouches, dont think it was a great call since I can get away with dipping anywhere I please now and probably have a pouch in more than I did a regular dip.

I really need to quit though. Ive been a steady dipper for probably the last 12 years. I used to smoke but quit that and started back dipping. I have sinus issues and everytime they flare up it scares me that I may have throat cancer. My sinus issues make me feel like I have something poking inside my throat around my adam's apple. I go see my ent everytime this happens and he does a quick scope. This summer it happened again and the doc said everything was fine and explained what was going on but it takes me about a month to get over and im always panicking during that time. My brother on the other hand has dipped for 30 years and has had zero issues.

I agree with what has been said above, quit now!! I know i really need to.

. I have sinus issues and everytime they flare up it scares me that I may have throat cancer. My sinus issues make me feel like I have something poking inside my throat around my adam's apple.

I have those same fears, irrational or not, I have 'em.

I had my "last chew" on 8-18-18...we'll see how long I can kick it for this time.

When my jaw starts hurting and I get weaker at work like has been happening this last couple weeks it's usually a sign my body (jaw) is telling me stop putting that foreign substance/crap into your body, it's not meant to be there.

They just started producing that Skoal Spearmint again and I really fell in love with it. But it's not helping my physical well-being.

(Funny how this topic started as one for dippers and now has turned into advocacy for quitting.)

I wonder - and this is probably just common knowledge - but those who start chewing later in life (I started at age 24) and did it more sporadically, are less likely to have serious health issues from smokeless tobacco? I did it for less than 2 years in college, stopped for almost a decade, and it's been on and off for the last 3-4 years.

I am certain someone who started later in life like me has a stronger chance to quit for good, but I am wondering if the toxic health effects are less likely for a person like me

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I do Frost Camel Snus. Based on the previous comments, I should probably just man up and quit. Not sure if I can though.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Dear lord...$30 a tin? Now that's a sin tax.

Ha sure is. I live in Vancouver BC. BC stands for bring cash. Lately I rarely dip, usually only on boys trips to the states I will buy one can and once thats gone won't touch it for another 4-6 months. Nicorette gum helps a ton if you are really committed to quitting or the very least slowing down.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

Dear lord...$30 a tin? Now that's a sin tax.

Ha sure is. I live in Vancouver BC. BC stands for bring cash. Lately I rarely dip, usually only on boys trips to the states I will buy one can and once thats gone won't touch it for another 4-6 months. Nicorette gum helps a ton if you are really committed to quitting or the very least slowing down.

I've been on a few hockey tournaments to Canada over the years - one in B.C. (Cranbrook), actually. I remember things being more expensive there but it was so long ago that I can't recollect. Last trip I was on was back in 1998 to Winnipeg. First time any of us Yanks ever bought liquor legally as 18 year olds as 18 was the legal age to purchase up there. Good times.

We humans are such gluttons for punishment. Even though we know tobacco is such toxic crap (when your jaw starts hurting that's your body telling you to knock it off) but we just keep shoving it in our jaws.

I'll have a week without a chew tomorrow and we'll see if I can make this a long dry run like some of my quits in the past...

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I woke up with one of the worst headaches of my life last night (this morning) at like 3am. My last chew was a week ago and It occurred to me that that might have been a symptom of not having a chew in a week.

I've been through nicotine withdrawal before but hadn't recalled that happening.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I got to go back today and have more cut out of my jaw/gums. Today should be my last trip then just checkups. Got 3 stitches today and will be down for a couple days on pain meds and lying around eating soup and popsicles. It’s awful to go through but it’s not cancer yet on any of the biopsy’s.

• 1 month later...

I quit (again) for 6 weeks, but I ballooned up from 180 to 190 lbs. So I capitulated and got a tin of Skoal. So now I'm back on again.

Even though after that last withdrawal I woke up to the most thunderous, painful headache I've had in my adult life, one morning.

Oh well...I will quit again (for good), in due time. Just have to stick with it.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dipped for about 3 and half years. Quit about a year ago junior year of college. My everyday dip for the first year was always Copenhagen XLC Natural before discovering how sickly sweet Stoker's Wintergreen was for such a cheap tub. I still miss it, sometimes I will order a little can of Back-Off but nothing is the same as reaching into a tub of Stoker's.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

I know it's weird, but I like to chew and smoke. I try not to do either very frequently. I buy a pouch of tobacco every other month or so and it usually takes me 10 days to 3 weeks to chew it all. Cig's I try and only bum or smoke a cigar rather than have a pack as I'm almost addicted by the end of a week or so of having a cig or two every day. All things in moderation.

My jaw was sore for a while after starting back up again - I thought Skoal might be a cleaner tobacco product (than, say, Kayak) but I wonder if it wasn't the culprit.

Any way, I got some General Swedish Snus (I got a tin before when I had a coupon for it) and have been doing that. It's allegedly as clean a "chaw" product you can get, and there is apparently really low levels of oral cancer in Scandinavia where it is more used.

However, there are some problems with it: 24 pouches are expensive. If you can't moderate them (use only 1 at a time instead of 2 or more) you can go through a "tin" quickly.

Moreover, you don't get that "I have a chaw in my mouth" sort of vibe when you insert a pouch.

That said, my sore jaw isn't sore anymore since I started on the tin of General.

Also, if you guys are interested in nicotine-less products, "Grinds" aren't bad. They're made of coffee and apparently one pouch is equal 1/4 cup of coffee, so it's a stimulant in that respect. https://www.getgrinds.com/

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

My jaw was sore for a while after starting back up again - I thought Skoal might be a cleaner tobacco product (than, say, Kayak) but I wonder if it wasn't the culprit.

Any way, I got some General Swedish Snus (I got a tin before when I had a coupon for it) and have been doing that. It's allegedly as clean a "chaw" product you can get, and there is apparently really low levels of oral cancer in Scandinavia where it is more used.

However, there are some problems with it: 24 pouches are expensive. If you can't moderate them (use only 1 at a time instead of 2 or more) you can go through a "tin" quickly.

Moreover, you don't get that "I have a chaw in my mouth" sort of vibe when you insert a pouch.

That said, my sore jaw isn't sore anymore since I started on the tin of General.

Also, if you guys are interested in nicotine-less products, "Grinds" aren't bad. They're made of coffee and apparently one pouch is equal 1/4 cup of coffee, so it's a stimulant in that respect. https://www.getgrinds.com/

Hey Joe,

I`ve been chewing the General for about a year now. Much easier on the teeth and gums. Skoal pouches are too sweet and Cope was giving me heartburn from hell. I like the General and around here it`s a bit cheaper than the two big brands. it`s not very popular so watch out for old tins.

Hey Joe,

I`ve been chewing the General for about a year now. Much easier on the teeth and gums. Skoal pouches are too sweet and Cope was giving me heartburn from hell. I like the General and around here it`s a bit cheaper than the two big brands. it`s not very popular so watch out for old tins.

Yeah I swas getting past due tins from the place I was buying, so now it's a habit to check sell-bsell-by dates when I buy.

How much is general where you're at? Really wish there were more than 24 pouches! The tins are like half empty when new.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Hey Joe,

Yeah I swas getting past due tins from the place I was buying, so now it's a habit to check sell-bsell-by dates when I buy.

How much is general where you're at? Really wish there were more than 24 pouches! The tins are like half empty when new.

I believe they are 4 something a can.