2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have scheduled an iron fitting with GolfTec for a Tuesday night at their Family Sports location. If you had a choice of hitting on an actual range like with GolfTec or inside a bay at Club Champion, which one would you choose?

How did the fitting go?

I moved it to next Tuesday. Too much going on this week.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Member member this weekend at Highlands Ranch! Let's go! Hope you guys are getting to play somewhere.

How'd it go? Saw a few of your posts on Insta Stories. Hope you ended up staying dry!

Playing Riverdale at 10:20 tomorrow AM with a good friend. Excited to get out again, and will probably be my only time out until mid-September.

It was great, we had a ton of fun. We play a 2-man stableford format for two days so it's a go out and get it type of tournament. We played very average on Saturday. I lost 5 balls and had 5 birdies on a 76 which was interesting. We started day 2 middle of the pack. Sunday was wild. Course was great and the greens were really fast.I 3 putted my first 4 holes of the day (including a 6 footer for birdie net eagle). I lipped out birdie putts on 14 and 15 in brutal fashion. Hit it to 2 feet on 16 for birdie net eagle. My father in-law made birdie net eagle on 17 and then I natural eagled the 18th. In a stableford we picked up 18 points in three holes. My course uses the golf genius so there is live scoring as you're playing. I checked before my putt on the last hole and we were up by two. I wanted to make my birdie but couldn't 3 putt for bogey and let some one catch us. Missed the birdie and made par and a team birdie net eagled their last hole of the day to beat us by one. It was so much fun to catch back up and we still ended up 1st net in the 1st flight which cashed nicely out of the calcutta.

Overall it was my best round of the year. Hit 17 GIR, had 3 birdies and an eagle, 5 three putts and shot a 72.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

My neighbor flies up to Seattle every year to play in his best friend's 3-day member/guest tournament. Day 1 is modified Chapman, Day 2 is Best Ball, and Day 3 is team net score (both scores count)--all of it is a modified Stableford where par or better gets 1 extra point (even par net is 36 points). The winning team shot +180, or -31 net! If that isn't sandbagging, I don't know what is. haha

My neighbor flies up to Seattle every year to play in his best friend's 3-day member/guest tournament. Day 1 is modified Chapman, Day 2 is Best Ball, and Day 3 is team net score (both scores count)--all of it is a modified Stableford where par or better gets 1 extra point (even par net is 36 points). The winning team shot +180, or -31 net! If that isn't sandbagging, I don't know what is. haha

Member guests have the most sandbagging of any tournament. If you aren't bringing ringers in, you pretty much have no chance to win. Of course you never want to win a member guest more than once every 5 years or so if you want to stay friendly with the rest of your club too. I only play in mine if I have guys who have never played the course before and want to play multiple days as the guest cost with lodging is pretty much the same as going there during a non tournament, but all the food is thrown in for free.

Member guests have the most sandbagging of any tournament. If you aren't bringing ringers in, you pretty much have no chance to win. Of course you never want to win a member guest more than once every 5 years or so if you want to stay friendly with the rest of your club too. I only play in mine if I have guys who have never played the course before and want to play multiple days as the guest cost with lodging is pretty much the same as going there during a non tournament, but all the food is thrown in for free.

I've had to switch to just bringing friends for fun because the competitive stuff has become a joke. We played with people this year who were not so discretely planning out the holes the guest could "blow up on" to keep his score from being too low.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

I've had to switch to just bringing friends for fun because the competitive stuff has become a joke. We played with people this year who were not so discretely planning out the holes the guest could "blow up on" to keep his score from being too low.

WOW that is bad. Last member/guest I played in was at Cheery Creek CC. I know BIG money in the Calcutta but we just played to our hdcp. It was a great time but did not win anything....though how a 12 hdcp shoots 76 straight up on a pretty tough course always made me wonder....

The calcutta at a member guest is the only redeeming quality since it lets you profit off someone else's sandbagging. A 12 shooting 76 isn't that bad compared to some of the joke rounds I've seen. How about a 14 shooting par... Oh wow -the best round of my life! Sure buddy. Stuff like that will put you off ever playing in a tournament again.

My golf league was able to acquire a few tee-times at GVR for Saturday, September 1, so that we can use our 9-hole rain checks. Two spots at 10:35am available. Anyone interested?

(This is a non-league event. Just a group of us wanting to use our rain checks.)

seven dewey: Kyle won't be there, so you'd be safe. :D

Member member this weekend at Highlands Ranch! Let's go! Hope you guys are getting to play somewhere.

How'd it go? Saw a few of your posts on Insta Stories. Hope you ended up staying dry!

Playing Riverdale at 10:20 tomorrow AM with a good friend. Excited to get out again, and will probably be my only time out until mid-September.

It was great, we had a ton of fun. We play a 2-man stableford format for two days so it's a go out and get it type of tournament. We played very average on Saturday. I lost 5 balls and had 5 birdies on a 76 which was interesting. We started day 2 middle of the pack. Sunday was wild. Course was great and the greens were really fast.I 3 putted my first 4 holes of the day (including a 6 footer for birdie net eagle). I lipped out birdie putts on 14 and 15 in brutal fashion. Hit it to 2 feet on 16 for birdie net eagle. My father in-law made birdie net eagle on 17 and then I natural eagled the 18th. In a stableford we picked up 18 points in three holes. My course uses the golf genius so there is live scoring as you're playing. I checked before my putt on the last hole and we were up by two. I wanted to make my birdie but couldn't 3 putt for bogey and let some one catch us. Missed the birdie and made par and a team birdie net eagled their last hole of the day to beat us by one. It was so much fun to catch back up and we still ended up 1st net in the 1st flight which cashed nicely out of the calcutta.

Overall it was my best round of the year. Hit 17 GIR, had 3 birdies and an eagle, 5 three putts and shot a 72.

Not bad. I too had 5 three putts yesterday. Definitely did not shoot a 72, but did manage to somehow still beat my friend in match play. Some of the best ball striking I've ever had outside of 120 yards. Wedges, man...awful.

My golf league was able to acquire a few tee-times at GVR for Saturday, September 1, so that we can use our 9-hole rain checks. Two spots at 10:35am available. Anyone interested?

(This is a non-league event. Just a group of us wanting to use our rain checks.)

seven dewey: Kyle won't be there, so you'd be safe. :D

Lol, I have to live at the Links next weekend unfortunately. Friday we are doing both semi-finals of our match play together. Saturday I have men’s league final Ryder Cup qualifier followed by couples league last regular event. Then Sunday is a 4 person fun scramble. Therefore I’m not playing a lick of golf this weekend.

I’m honestly burnt out. Played like crap (again) in the club championship both days. Only made one birdie but it won me $72 thankfully.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

So has anyone on here done Ireland for a golf trip? Dublin area specifcally.

Only checking to see as I figured someone may have gone? Reason asking is I got into a discussion with a project manager for a client about Ireland on Monday as he went over 4th of July for a wedding. He hit up the Guinness Tour, Jamison tour, Castles, the island that is in the Star Wars movie (?)... now he is not a golfer (Ooooo you know I gave him grief for going there and not golfing of course LOL) .

Anyway he caught me off guard.... it was way way cheaper then I thought given its international status. I called some friends I know that have been and it surprised me what they paid too. The golfer group went at "value" time for golf which I guess is at the end of March.

April 1st the rates go to full summer rates and go up 50-60%. Checked some booking agency websites to see and found you could fly, rental car/gas, rooms, 7 rounds (two at Royal County Down) and food for around $3000 through an agency..... did a solo, booking yourself, same tirp and it was $2650.00. Heck I spent half that for the Pinehurst trip which was only 4 days.

So is really that good of a deal?

On paper it sure seems like it is but I know the weather is the main "concern".... plus never been in that part of the world, but all the threads state the people are awesome to have a pint with.

Edit: the Guinness tour would be cool and I am not even a huge fan of it =)

If you're ok with the possible bad weather in the off season, yeah it beats most of the high end resort costs in the US assuming you can get a reasonable flight. Plus you can get on just about every course. Almost all the top private courses over there follow the model of allowing non members to play at certain times. If you really like it and start making trips every year or two, there are some screaming overseas membership deals which can make it much cheaper than the regular package deals.

And links golf is the best golf. Fast and firm is much more fun compared to the typical aerial American target golf. Get a good rain suit and rain gloves and bring the same type of thin clothes layers you would wear for skiing and the weather won't be much of a bother. This last spring (or maybe it was last year, I don't remember) was pretty severe where they had snow much later and much further south than normal, but usually that isn't a concern.

If you're ok with the possible bad weather in the off season, yeah it beats most of the high end resort costs in the US assuming you can get a reasonable flight. Plus you can get on just about every course. Almost all the top private courses over there follow the model of allowing non members to play at certain times. If you really like it and start making trips every year or two, there are some screaming overseas membership deals which can make it much cheaper than the regular package deals.

And links golf is the best golf. Fast and firm is much more fun compared to the typical aerial American target golf. Get a good rain suit and rain gloves and bring the same type of thin clothes layers you would wear for skiing and the weather won't be much of a bother. This last spring (or maybe it was last year, I don't remember) was pretty severe where they had snow much later and much further south than normal, but usually that isn't a concern.

Sounds like you have been =). I have never played outside the US, besides Canada which I don't really count.

Researching the weather would be the big factor of concern that time of year. I have a full Goretex rain gear and all the base layers we use locally too.

The flight as you mentioned was the key in the price as I found if you pick the right days / time you can get tickets for $570-650 round trip, other days it will be double that. Just have to be flexible and maybe an extra hour or two layover at a spot.

The private courses access is what surprised me the most, pretty crazy, not sure how else to say it. Every course allows access, some are restricted to specific week days and times but still available. Pretty much everything is walking but what is pretty cool is all offer the motorized/remote controlled 3 wheel carts. Great for the 36 hole days or if you don't take a caddie. Of course with courses built over 100 years ago cart paths where not part the game ;)

Already have a "hall pass" to go to just need to talk Krush or McCourtney into going there over Bandon LOL

Sounds like you have been =). I have never played outside the US, besides Canada which I don't really count.

Researching the weather would be the big factor of concern that time of year. I have a full Goretex rain gear and all the base layers we use locally too.

The flight as you mentioned was the key in the price as I found if you pick the right days / time you can get tickets for $570-650 round trip, other days it will be double that. Just have to be flexible and maybe an extra hour or two layover at a spot.

The private courses access is what surprised me the most, pretty crazy, not sure how else to say it. Every course allows access, some are restricted to specific week days and times but still available. Pretty much everything is walking but what is pretty cool is all offer the motorized/remote controlled 3 wheel carts. Great for the 36 hole days or if you don't take a caddie. Of course with courses built over 100 years ago cart paths where not part the game ;)

Already have a "hall pass" to go to just need to talk Krush or McCourtney into going there over Bandon LOL

Two other issues are that some courses close off tees and sometimes greens or whole holes in the winter and almost all of them make you hit off a mat when hitting shots in the fairway in the winter time to preserve the fescue fairways. Many stop this at the end of February, but some top courses enforce it through the end of March (The old course being one of those). And yes - everybody uses push/pull carts over there and walks.

This (https://www.divotend.com/) is supposedly much better than the mats they give you to use and actually gives you the feeling of making a divot.

Only checking to see as I figured someone may have gone? Reason asking is I got into a discussion with a project manager for a client about Ireland on Monday as he went over 4th of July for a wedding. He hit up the Guinness Tour, Jamison tour, Castles, the island that is in the Star Wars movie (?)... now he is not a golfer (Ooooo you know I gave him grief for going there and not golfing of course LOL) .

Anyway he caught me off guard.... it was way way cheaper then I thought given its international status. I called some friends I know that have been and it surprised me what they paid too. The golfer group went at "value" time for golf which I guess is at the end of March.

April 1st the rates go to full summer rates and go up 50-60%. Checked some booking agency websites to see and found you could fly, rental car/gas, rooms, 7 rounds (two at Royal County Down) and food for around $3000 through an agency..... did a solo, booking yourself, same tirp and it was $2650.00. Heck I spent half that for the Pinehurst trip which was only 4 days.

On paper it sure seems like it is but I know the weather is the main "concern".... plus never been in that part of the world, but all the threads state the people are awesome to have a pint with.

Hey CDM, I just played two rounds over there the week of 4th of July. I brought all my rain gear, rain gloves, etc., and of course it didn't rain a drop. Very hard and fast, burnt out, but it was awesome!

I went in the middle of the summer and played some top courses so it certainly wasn't a good "value." After green fees, euro/dollar conversion, caddie fees and gratuity it was around $500 a round. That being said, I know there are plenty of great courses you can play for cheap that don't have the international recognition or fanfare. Although it was expensive as hell I have never had a better time playing golf!

Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Took my 3 UDI to get reshafted with a graphite hybrid shaft. Went to both D'Lance and Brian Gott, probably two of the more reputable places in Denver. Both told me they can't sand down the tip to make the .370 shaft fit in the .355 head. Said the only option was to bore out the hosel of the club.

It's just strange to me, that like...90% of GolfWRX users (in the Club Techs sub forum) all say they sand down the tip and have absolutely no problems with it. Yet two local dudes who make a living off building clubs say they can't. And I got 2 different reasons from them too.

D'Lance told me they can't because it would make the tip too brittle and it would likely break.

Gott told me it would change the characteristics and performance of the shaft.

It's times like these I wish I had the equipment and ability (patience) to do this kinda stuff on my own.

D'Lance told me they can't because it would make the tip too brittle and it would likely break.

Gott told me it would change the characteristics and performance of the shaft.

Both sound like legit reasons to me. But then again, I'm not a clubmaker, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

My guess is that it's more of a CYA thing.

I liken your situation to that trend I've seen where people in tuner cars camber their tires negatively. Yes, it's possible, but what certified mechanic in their right mind would ever agree to do that?

Edited to add: I'm playing South Suburban tonight at 5pm. I finally updated my SkyDroid map to reflect the almost-swapped nines.

Hey CDM, I just played two rounds over there the week of 4th of July. I brought all my rain gear, rain gloves, etc., and of course it didn't rain a drop. Very hard and fast, burnt out, but it was awesome!

I went in the middle of the summer and played some top courses so it certainly wasn't a good "value." After green fees, euro/dollar conversion, caddie fees and gratuity it was around $500 a round. That being said, I know there are plenty of great courses you can play for cheap that don't have the international recognition or fanfare. Although it was expensive as hell I have never had a better time playing golf!

Thanks!! Depending on course(s) and time of the year I see the fees really jump. Which two did you play? Wondering if it is any we are looking at.

Two other issues are that some courses close off tees and sometimes greens or whole holes in the winter and almost all of them make you hit off a mat when hitting shots in the fairway in the winter time to preserve the fescue fairways. Many stop this at the end of February, but some top courses enforce it through the end of March (The old course being one of those). And yes - everybody uses push/pull carts over there and walks.

This (https://www.divotend.com/) is supposedly much better than the mats they give you to use and actually gives you the feeling of making a divot.

Excellent point. Will have too look into that. I know Brian noted it about St Andrews, but did not even dawn on me to think about it as we never deal with that here.

Random question of the day. How’s the golf in Colorado Springs? Contemplating moving somewhere new before I get kids and responsibilities and stuff.

Colorado comes highly recommended, but I’ve never gotten an opinion from a golfer.

Some nice private options. Public is lacking and definitely doesn't have the quality and selection of Denver.

Thanks!! Depending on course(s) and time of the year I see the fees really jump. Which two did you play? Wondering if it is any we are looking at.

I played Ballybunion (old course) and Old Head. Both were fantastic but would choose Ballybunion again over the too. It is more of the traditional/links feel while Old Head is more modern and on a fantastic piece of real estate.

I would highly recommend grabbing a caddy too at least once. Walking takes more out of you than you might think because you are constantly going up and down the dunes. It is also really fun to spend time chatting wtih a local kid.

Random question of the day. How’s the golf in Colorado Springs? Contemplating moving somewhere new before I get kids and responsibilities and stuff.

Colorado comes highly recommended, but I’ve never gotten an opinion from a golfer.

Some nice private options. Public is lacking and definitely doesn't have the quality and selection of Denver.

How long is a typical season down there? I’m in northern MN and June-Mid September is the only guarantee we have.

Colorado sucks. I wouldn’t come here. Minnesota is much nicer.

Care to elaborate?

Have you ever had to shovel 14” of snow off your driveway in April, or have to wear cart gloves and long underwear in mid September?

Colorado sucks. I wouldn’t come here. Minnesota is much nicer.

Care to elaborate?

Have you ever had to shovel 14” of snow off your driveway in April, or have to wear cart gloves and long underwear in mid September?

A Coloradan’s attempt to keep people from moving here. We like to tell horror stories about our weather.

I guess we could make room for one more as long as you agree to tell others how terrible it is here.

As for the other questions, Yes and Yes.